The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Liam Williams a liability for Wales?

+13
Knowsit17
nathan
mckay1402
HammerofThunor
fa0019
Pete330v2
SecretFly
Higher_Ground
quinsforever
Biltong
LordDowlais
LondonTiger
bedfordwelsh
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Liam Williams a liability for Wales? - Page 2 Empty Is Liam Williams a liability for Wales?

Post by Guest Wed 05 Nov 2014, 9:15 am

First topic message reminder :

After reading this Beeb article about his discipline over the last year,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29908162

do you think he knows how to control himself as Howley wants?

I think Williams is a fantastic talent, he clearly gives it his all in every match he plays, but he does have a tendency to make costly disciplinary mistakes. As head coach of Wales how do you get this guy to behave on the field? The last thing we want is a repeat of the 2nd test in SA, which in my opinion was a completely unnecessary shoulder charge.

Back to top Go down

Is Liam Williams a liability for Wales? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Liam Williams a liability for Wales?

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed 05 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm

If liam tackled the guy normally at the end of south African second test it would have been a try . He made a split decision that was a bad call but due to the passion and the commitment he tried and succeed to barge him over the line . Bad mistake but honestly can see why he did it . I think he ll learn his lesson and will be a better player with every Welsh cap .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Is Liam Williams a liability for Wales? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Liam Williams a liability for Wales?

Post by Guest Wed 05 Nov 2014, 7:17 pm

I do think if Williams was bigger, he would be a Welsh Etzebeth, perhaps I've been judging him a bit harshly, he just likes to stamp his authority on the game and is one of those niggling players that gets under other players' skin.

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 05 Nov 2014, 7:57 pm

for those outside llanelli

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-wing-liam-williams-vows-6732472

http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/33509-Liam-Williams-the-****

http://www.thescore.ie/paddy-jackson-try-ireland-1306615-Feb2014/

(check out the elbow to the head on the last bit of the clip Shocked )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbr_6cvQUA0

http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/05/3179/andrew-trimble-and-liam-williams-carded-for-fighting-as-ulster-progress-to-final?page=all

that took all of 3 minutes to find. international rugby is far less forgiving than club/regional. if you cost your side a player for only 10 minutes, its probably game over against any of the top 5 sides in the world. and the refs are hotter on foul play and following IRB directives, so as i said, he has been a liability. remains to be seen whether he still is.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Nov 2014, 8:07 pm

Whilst Cuthberts form for the Blues has not been good and North is on fire for Saints their strike rate for Wales is pretty much on par so in that instance they are as good as each other.

Both of them are suspect in defence.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Wed 05 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm

He's in the same mould as Dylan Hartley and Delon Armitage to name but a few. A talented player sure, but an on field idiot whose discipline is completely undeserving of being near an international side.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 05 Nov 2014, 10:02 pm

JmD wrote:He's in the same mould as Dylan Hartley and Delon Armitage to name but a few. A talented player sure, but an on field idiot whose discipline is completely undeserving of being near an international side.
thats fair. although dylan hartley has definitely turned into a bit of a leader within the team. and yet still gets sent off occasionally!

liam williams could do the same, i hope he does, as he's an exciting powerful runner ball in hand for someone who doesnt look like the modern powerhouse winger/fb.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 12:31 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:First off he was not at fault in the 2nd test if NORTH yes ST GEORGE himself had tackled his man first then Williams wouldn't have been in that situation.

Williams is a fantastic attacking instinctive player, yes he has a tendency to give away penalties but no more than forwards who go off their feet or enter from wrong side etc.

Maybe (depsite it not being his fault) the summer tour taught him to try and curb it but he's been the form back in Wales this season and I would have started him at XV>

So for me No he's not a liability

Bedford, couldnt leave this go unanswered as you say this over and over...

Agree North MISSED the tackle and is at fault for this, BUT that doesnt excuse Liam going in with a shoulder charge. He had plenty of opportunity to make or attempt a LEGAL tackle. So he is to BLAME for giving away a penalty try which lost the game. If he had tackled legally, mabybe the try would have been score (I doubt, but no one will ever really know). If the try was scored, we would have lost, and I wouldnt put the blame at Liams doorstep. BUT by making a silly illegal tackle, the fault lies clearly with him.

I called at the time for him to be dropped until he learned his lesson. OK that was "heat of the moment" on my part, and I withdraw that. I do believe he is a great young talent and will have many more caps to his credit. I expect him to win us games, IMO he really is a talented young player.

To answer the OP question, no I dont think he is a liability and he will learn to calm down and will become a far more composed player. I said the same of Biggar a few years ago. I said he was churlish, imature and needed experience. He's gained that and is now one of the best fly-halfs in the NH, better that any of the Brits IMO. I say Brits, as Sexton is probably in the NH driving seat.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:40 pm

No9,

What I can't let go is the way Williams has been lambasted for his part in it but St George has (in the most) remained blameless.

Williams was wrong I have never said he wasn't I have just defended him when all wanted to lay entire blame at his feet.

Also if North had made his tackle then it would never have to come Williams so I still say North is to blame.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:57 pm

He was blamed for giving away a penalty try, rather than a try, I think thats what most people are trying to say bedford.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2