The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs NZ

+58
Allty
kingraf
nobbled
Otagolad
Hood83
JDizzle
LondonTiger
alive555
RDSguru
TJ
TightHEAD
Sgt_Pooly
majesticimperialman
Knackeredknees
monty junior
RDW
tigertattie
Geordie
Duty281
kiakahaaotearoa
whocares
Pal Joey
BamBam
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
blackcanelion
Seagultaf
aucklandlaurie
Cyril
SecretFly
Cardiff Dave
offload
jimmyinthewell68
rainbow-warrior
Tattie Scones RRN
chris_501
ScarletSpiderman
mckay1402
wales606
GavinDragon
maestegmafia
emack2
Higher_Ground
gavstar
No9
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Taylorman
Biltong
Bullsbok
glamorganalun
The Saint
irnbrew
Comfort
Liam
Knowsit17
GunsGerms
disneychilly
Coleman
62 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Wales vs NZ Empty Wales vs NZ

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm

Wales vs NZ 10686940_10152559056293722_8429509000126913409_n

Team announced
15. Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon)
14. Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues)
13. Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne)
12. Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro)
11. George North (Northampton Saints)
10. Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
9. Rhys Webb (Ospreys)

1. Paul James (Bath)
2. Richard Hibbard (Gloucester)
3. Samson Lee (Scarlets)
4. Jake Ball (Scarlets)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
6. Dan Lydiate (Unattached)
7. Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, CAPT)
8. Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Replacements:
16. Scott Baldwin (Ospreys)
17. Nicky Smith (Ospreys)
18. Rhodri Jones (Scarlets)
19. Luke Charteris (Racing Metro)
20. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)
21. Mike Phillips (Racing Metro)
22. James Hook (Gloucester)
23. Liam Williams (Scarlets)

Last edited by IronMike on Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:39 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Wales vs NZ Empty Re: Wales vs NZ

Post by Coleman Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm

I agree that Williams is playing well and deserves a start but i don't think it justifies dropping Cuthbert. He's scored two tries in two games and typically shows up in big matches whereas Williams can lose his head a bit. The real issue we have is that we're so dependant on Halfpenny's boot that we have to accomidate him in team at the expense of form players.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:25 pm

I know Biggar is a reliable kicker, but doesn't have Halfpenny's range, against the All Blacks I'd take points from halfway if opportunities arise.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm

Why Jenkins Mike, he done nothing of note on Saturday and James is the better scrummager, I would put Smith on bench ahead of Jenkins possibly to.

Why move Warburton out of position and bring in Tipuric who himself wasn't brilliant on Saturday.  Against the Blacks we will need someone who can tackle and tackle and the tackle again and Lydiate does that.

1. James
2. Hibbard
3. Lee
4. Ball
5. AWJ
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau

9. Webb
10. Biggar

11. North
12. Roberts
13. Williams
14. Halfpenny
15. Williams

16. Jenkins/Smith
17. Baldwin
18. Jones
19. Charteris
20. Tipuric
21. Phillips
22. Preistland
23. Cuthbert

Thats my selection for what its worth
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:46 pm

As far as us opposition go, going along the lines of Hansen using this as a RWC dry run I'd like to see this:

15 Dagg
14 Ben Smith
13 Conrad Smith
12 SBW
11 Savea
10 Carter
9 Aaron Smith
8 Read
7 McCaw
6 Kaino
5 Whitelock
4 Retallick
3 Owen Franks
2 Coles
1 Crockett

16 Mealamu
17 Ben Franks
18 Faumuina
19 Messam
20 Romano
21 Perenara
22 Barrett
23 Fekitoa

Carter needs game time and will get a lot better service from Smith as well as a pack that will give a better platform. Went with Fekitoa but Crotty would be ok too as one would provide more impact and one would play percentages better in a close one. Big call leaving Cruden out but Carter is seen as the No 1 I think so I'd have him starting with Barrett offering more impact from the bench than Cruden.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:47 pm

Is Jane injured or completely out of the frame these days?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:51 pm

Did a hammy in Chicago.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 1:54 pm

I say Warbs back in at 7 at the expense of Tipuric. The former led by example against Aus and made some good steals on the ground. Tips made some decent runs and half-breaks against Fiji but I felt Warbs made more of an impact against a better side. And Lydiate's tackling is too good to sacrifice in a team that mainly seems to have forgotten how to tackle.

After the two weeks so far of the usual mental anguish, I doubt even the most ardent Welsh supporter is anticipating anything near a win.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon 17 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

Halfpenny is a must for Wales. His kicking is impeccable, gives us the option to take the points from long range, gives us a cutting edge going forward and arguably the best defence of any back in world rugby. For me, we rewards Liam Williams form and move 1/2p onto the wing, his more natural position, instead of cuthbert. Yes, cuthbert has scored two tries but against NZ we'll need to be at our defensive best so for me, 1/2p to the wing and cuthbert unfortunately drops out.

I'd move Warbs to 6 and bring Tips in. Lydiate's defence is superb but so is Tupiric's, and for me we need to attack NZ and look to score tries whenever possible, so Tips get's the nod for me alongside Warbs.

Scott Williams should keep his place, with JD2 coming onto the bench. If he's available, a player of his quality should be involved somehow, but not from the start. Harsh on Cory Allen but i'd take a 75% JD2 over most if i'm perfectly honest.

Paul James deserves to keep his place. Him and Lee ar eour best scrummaging props and also have proved their worth in the loose. Set piece is extremely important vs NZ as well.

15. L. Williams
14. 1/2p
13. S.Williams
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Biggar
9. Webb
8. Faletau
7. Tipuric
6. Warburton
5. AWJ
4. Ball
3. Lee
2. Hibbard
1. James

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 17 Nov 2014, 3:56 pm

My side would read:

15. L. Williams
14. 1/2p
13. Allen
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Biggar
9. Webb
8. Baker
7. Warburton
6. Faletau
5. AWJ
4. Ball
3. Lee
2. Hibbard
1. James

16. Smith
17. Baldwin
18. Jones
19. Davies
20. Tipuric
21. Philips
22. Priestland
23. Sc. Williams

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Mon 17 Nov 2014, 4:06 pm

15 L Williams
14 Halfpenny
13S Williams
12Roberts
11North
10Bigger
9Webb
8 Toby
7 Warby
6 Lyds
5 AWJ
4 Ball
3 Lee
2 Hibbard
1 James

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:13 pm

Is it really worth dropping Cuthbert? Best attacking player for Wales so far this autumn and no more to blame than the rest for the tries conceded. In fact, most of those conceded have come straight through the halfbacks, who have either lobbed interceptions or fallen off tackles (think Webb and Biggar vs Aus and Priestland vs Fiji).

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

Iron Mike I think you're almost spot on. But the thing that stands out for me is the bench, Hook and Priestland... If those two are on the pitch at the same time then god help Wales! Also, Jenkins and Scott Williams looked knackered in the Fiji game so there's question marks over that for me. I think Tips was poor too, so I'd be willing to hand Baker his debut from No.8 with Faletau shifting to No.6, captain Warbs can hopefully resume where he left off against Australia.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:26 pm

Saint,

I know we have had this conversation before but I still dont think we should start with that backrow combo.

Knowsit,

I agree with you but Li Williams has to play and unfortuanely I can't see Gatland dropping North or Halfpenny so unfortuntely Cuthbert would dip out.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:28 pm

Fair BF, while Lydiate was good against Aus he certainly wasn't against Fiji (like a few others). It will be interesting to see who played themselves out of contention in Gatlands eyes. Phillips and Priestland shouldn't be in the 23 for me. Let us prey for the fitness of Webb and Biggar!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 5:42 pm

The Saint wrote:Fair BF, while Lydiate was good against Aus he certainly wasn't against Fiji (like a few others). It will be interesting to see who played themselves out of contention in Gatlands eyes. Phillips and Priestland shouldn't be in the 23 for me. Let us prey for the fitness of Webb and Biggar!

Have to disagree here. Lydiate was one of the only players I noticed against Fiji making consistent, proper tackles. Most of the rest of the team seem to have completely lost their heads in the tackle (figuratively, of course) and the majority of tries conceded have come from such horror moments (Webb throwing Folau an intercept, Hooper running over Biggar, Priestland throwing Nadolo the intercept... the list goes on). On that principle, Lydiate should stay imo.

bedford, Williams making MOTM against Fiji doesn't make him indispensable in my eyes. And it must be accepted that Fiji are the lightest opposition we have this term and that the pressure NZ will apply on him will be otherworldly in comparison.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 17 Nov 2014, 6:15 pm

I can t understand having Priestland on the bench to come on late in the game, he has steered Wales to many last minute defeats with his aimless kicking, why is he in the squad?

The rest of the post is fine it is good to have options, I hope Biggar lasts the game.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 17 Nov 2014, 7:15 pm

1/2p as fine a defender as he is cant play wing against Julian Savea. There will only be one winner in that collision , rather have the bigger Cuthbert who's also a much better attacking player imo
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014, 7:34 pm

Not a chance is Dan Baker going to make his debut v NZ, nor is Faletau a 6. Also, I don't understand why if people want Faletau and Baker in the same back row, then why not Baker at 6?

It's strange that for all some noticed Lydiate on the weekend, apparently he only made 7/8 tackles as opposed to the 17 or so he made the week before. Obviously the opposition were weaker, but I'd hope to see him more seeing is that's why he's in the team.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:09 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
The Saint wrote:Fair BF, while Lydiate was good against Aus he certainly wasn't against Fiji (like a few others). It will be interesting to see who played themselves out of contention in Gatlands eyes. Phillips and Priestland shouldn't be in the 23 for me. Let us prey for the fitness of Webb and Biggar!

Have to disagree here. Lydiate was one of the only players I noticed against Fiji making consistent, proper tackles. Most of the rest of the team seem to have completely lost their heads in the tackle (figuratively, of course) and the majority of tries conceded have come from such horror moments (Webb throwing Folau an intercept, Hooper running over Biggar, Priestland throwing Nadolo the intercept... the list goes on). On that principle, Lydiate should stay imo.

bedford, Williams making MOTM against Fiji doesn't make him indispensable in my eyes. And it must be accepted that Fiji are the lightest opposition we have this term and that the pressure NZ will apply on him will be otherworldly in comparison.

knowsit,

No one is indespensable I agree but Williams has been the form back in Wales all season and that is why I would have him in not just after Saturdays game.

On other posters points I am not totally against Baker and Faletau but maybe last week was the time to try it not this week I just can't see the logic going into a game against the All Blacks with a No8 playing out of position and a raw but talentedand un-tested No8 making his debut.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:13 pm

Bullsbok wrote:1/2p as fine a defender as he is cant play wing against Julian Savea. There will only be one winner in that collision , rather have the bigger Cuthbert who's also a much better attacking player imo

But have you seen Cuthbert defend?! He's regularly bamboozled by simply back line moves against him and is often caught out of position and in totally the wrong place to defend tries. Halfpenny may get run over by Savea but at least he will get in the way!

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:20 pm

Yeah, Cuthbert isn't the world's greatest defender
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:24 pm

Griff wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:1/2p as fine a defender as he is cant play wing against Julian Savea. There will only be one winner in that collision , rather have the bigger Cuthbert who's also a much better attacking player imo

But have you seen Cuthbert defend?! He's regularly bamboozled by simply back line moves against him and is often caught out of position and in totally the wrong place to defend tries. Halfpenny may get run over by Savea but at least he will get in the way!

True enough but should he happen to be in the right position his size should be enough to at least stop The Bus , maybe not bring him down but stop him. 1/2P will at best slow him down i fear . And in attack Cuthbert stands a greater chance of getting past Savea who's not the best defender either it turns out.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:33 pm

I hear Gavin Anscombe may be looked at for as early as the Bok match. Just what Wales need I reckon. His goal kicking is of a high enough standard and he's just one 10 that didn't get the right break here. I think JK's not picking him for the Blues was a bad decision (as it was when picking 10's).

I would have liked to have seen Tim Nainai-Williams in last weeks match ahead of Colin Slade who will get more chances. He must be feeling bad when other less experienced and talented players from the Baabaas were given a chance and I think he offers a good pacy alternative to the increasingly bigger players we are opting for- SBW- Nonu, Savea, Piatau, Fekitoa etc.

For this one I think the AB's will be treating this as a World cup semi final where once again winning will be the entire focus. Last week it was also about winning but with focus on the fringe players having to rise to the occasion.

I think Hansen's found that he can allow his side to be expressive but for World cup knockouts nothing will be left to chance.

Dagg I don't think will get the nod at fullback- Ben Smith there with Piatau and Savea on the wings, but with most of the side rested (what I think Hansen wants from next years quarter final) this weeks side will be firing on all cylinders to 'put Wales out of the tournament'.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:42 pm

There were a bunch of people saying the same thing about a certain smaller welsh winger for many years. And if the ABs plan on winning by creating 1 v 1s between Savea and Halfpenny, and hoping for the best then they won't get far. I'm sure they have more up their sleeve though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:43 pm

I think it will be a total an utter disgrace if Anscombe is fast tracked for the Boks game without having hardly pulled on a Blues shirt.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:43 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Not a chance is Dan Baker going to make his debut v NZ, nor is Faletau a 6. Also, I don't understand why if people want Faletau and Baker in the same back row, then why not Baker at 6?

It's strange that for all some noticed Lydiate on the weekend, apparently he only made 7/8 tackles as opposed to the 17 or so he made the week before. Obviously the opposition were weaker, but I'd hope to see him more seeing is that's why he's in the team.

It would be to accommodate Baker, as I think Faletau would be the better 6, and he's also good at the breakdown.

Your 2nd point I agree with, but perhaps the possession had something to do with it...or had that evened out by the end? (Lydiate was subbed by then I think...).

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:44 pm

Liam wrote:Halfpenny is a must for Wales. His kicking is impeccable, gives us the option to take the points from long range, gives us a cutting edge going forward and arguably the best defence of any back in world rugby. For me, we rewards Liam Williams form and move 1/2p onto the wing, his more natural position, instead of cuthbert. Yes, cuthbert has scored two tries but against NZ we'll need to be at our defensive best so for me, 1/2p to the wing and cuthbert unfortunately drops out.

I'd move Warbs to 6 and bring Tips in. Lydiate's defence is superb but so is Tupiric's, and for me we need to attack NZ and look to score tries whenever possible, so Tips get's the nod for me alongside Warbs.

Scott Williams should keep his place, with JD2 coming onto the bench. If he's available, a player of his quality should be involved somehow, but not from the start. Harsh on Cory Allen but i'd take a 75% JD2 over most if i'm perfectly honest.

Paul James deserves to keep his place. Him and Lee ar eour best scrummaging props and also have proved their worth in the loose. Set piece is extremely important vs NZ as well.

15. L. Williams
14. 1/2p
13. S.Williams
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Biggar
9. Webb
8. Faletau
7. Tipuric
6. Warburton
5. AWJ
4. Ball
3. Lee
2. Hibbard
1. James
The exact team i would pick.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:47 pm

Griff wrote:

True, defensive positioning has never been Cuthbert's strength. Has he been responsible for conceding tries this autumn though? The vast majority conceded by Wales have so far been from interceptions and poor tackling, primarily through the halfbacks. Cuthbert's been fine as far as I'm aware. He's also one of our most energetic, lively and effective attackers, so omitting him against NZ would be a step backwards imo.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:56 pm

I guess maybe a lot will depend on Biggars fitness. If he is fit then we could go with Williams North and Cuthbert but if Biggar is out then Halfpenny would be more likely to start as Priestlands kicking is not upto International level.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Nov 2014, 8:58 pm

If that happens then I hope Anscombe gets fast tracked for this game instead of next week's...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:02 pm

The Saint wrote:If that happens then I hope Anscombe gets fast tracked for this game instead of next week's...

Laugh Laugh

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:49 pm

Agree we need the consistent boot of Hafpenny. But he went off with concussion. Has been cleared fit to play. I thought there was a mandatory X weeks off with concussion. Cant remember how many X was, I though it was 4. If thats the case, surely he's still on the injury list.

This does give us a problem though. If Biggar fit, theres the first kicker (if no Halfpenny), but whose cover ? Priestland or Hook... Or perhaps we should recall Adam Jones and let him have a go, after all his drop kick attempt was closer than some of Priestlands recent place kicks.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Nov 2014, 9:53 pm

It use to be 3 weeks for concussion but I am not sure now with these new tests they have to undertake.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:25 pm

As it was said that Lyds only made 7/8 tackles but the top tackler was only 11 Tips but then Lyds only played 60 minutes

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Mon 17 Nov 2014, 11:23 pm

well done to liam Williams for exploiting the spaces in the open game, and yes you can only play whats infront of you. BUT HE WAS CALLED A LIABILITY in the aussie game by many who now want to hand him the 15 shirt. The management have been less vocal about his play, gats even reminding us that there are areas of his game he needs to develop etc etc. a little hint that he may well be on the bench. most coaches would have resisted any comment about developing his game ,and just said "I am pleased for liam as mom " or something along those lines. Absolutely no need what so ever to say anything else. gats wont worry about media or fans opinion, look how rp was continually thrown on when he was at is worst .ignoring biggar when even the media pundits had his name on the sheet. think of his comments on hook," we have been concerned about his lateral play etc etc " sure sign bench warmer. NOT that I wanted hooky on!! Wouldn't be surprised if liam was on the bench. all you stats buffs must know someone who was mom then not picked next game. probably gavin Henson!!!! who we could well use at the moment.............

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Mon 17 Nov 2014, 11:47 pm

The team was selected months ago. Halfpenny will start at fullback, Lydiate will start at blindside, North and Cuthbert will be the wings. Jamie Roberts will be 12, and if he is physically fit, JD will partner him.
James, Hibbard and Lee will make up the front row.

Sadly, the selection will reflect the flawed notion that you can beat NZ by stopping them from scoring. You need to score tries against them.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:09 am

The idea that these matches have much influence on the RWC is as Hansen said baloney.
Saturday expect both sides to field the strongest combo`s and for NZ frankly 10 needs
Slade to start with Barrett on the bench.

Last weeks match was totally predictable a disjointed assembly of injured players getting
game time.Fringe players given a game plus some experimentation,plus a strong bench
as insurance.

DC is obviously so short of game time he is rusty obviously,the service from his 9 was
poor and those around him suffered.Itm/Super R8ugby to get him back up to speed.
Neither Cruden nor Barrett impressed v England and Cruden was still carrying an injury.

Slade has been on form and deserves a start being the form 10/goalkicker next year
all the squads may be different and stronger.

After losing both England and SA weren't going to risk much and a dour game evolved.
Cares laboured distribution killed much of Englands attacking potential and decision
making refusing 3`s early 8n games cost losses probably to all sides in RC.

Scotland played very well with a limited game plan they were never going to run versus
NZ.One thing AI`s to date have shown ALL NH sides and Tier 2 sides can`t be taken for
granted come RWC.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:21 am

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:
Liam wrote:Halfpenny is a must for Wales. His kicking is impeccable, gives us the option to take the points from long range, gives us a cutting edge going forward and arguably the best defence of any back in world rugby. For me, we rewards Liam Williams form and move 1/2p onto the wing, his more natural position, instead of cuthbert. Yes, cuthbert has scored two tries but against NZ we'll need to be at our defensive best so for me, 1/2p to the wing and cuthbert unfortunately drops out.

15. L. Williams
14. 1/2p
13. S.Williams
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Biggar
9. Webb
8. Faletau
7. Tipuric
6. Warburton
5. AWJ
4. Ball
3. Lee
2. Hibbard
1. James

When Jenkins came on against Australia our scrum improved remarkably. I would take Jenkins over james for experience and that he is a better all round rugby player than james, who is a bit of a donkey when it comes to making decisions.

I would also keep Lydiate on, bring tips on as an impact sub, but Lydiate has been one of our best players so far this autumn.

Biggest selection issue I see is who will partner AWJ?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:49 am

emack2 wrote:The idea that these matches have much influence on the RWC is as Hansen said baloney.
Saturday expect both sides to field the strongest combo`s and for NZ frankly 10 needs
Slade to start with Barrett on the bench.

Last weeks match was totally predictable a disjointed assembly of injured players getting
game time.Fringe players given a game plus some experimentation,plus a strong bench
as insurance.

DC is obviously so short of game time he is rusty obviously,the service from his 9 was
poor and those around him suffered.Itm/Super R8ugby to get him back up to speed.
Neither Cruden nor Barrett impressed v England and Cruden was still carrying an injury.

Slade has been on form and deserves a start being the form 10/goalkicker next year
all the squads may be different and stronger.

After losing both England and SA weren't going to risk much and a dour game evolved.
Cares laboured distribution killed much of Englands attacking potential and decision
making refusing 3`s early 8n games cost losses probably to all sides in RC.

Scotland played very well with a limited game plan they were never going to run versus
NZ.One thing AI`s to date have shown ALL NH sides and Tier 2 sides can`t be taken for
granted come RWC.

Slade won't start ahead of Cruden Alan- if I'm wrong then I've grossly misjudged Hansen but everything says the Cruden/ Barrett combo will be back. Slade hasn't led an AB side at 10 in anything much this year so his game was merely to test his versatility.

Goalkicking is something that can be fixed and it won't be why we lose if we do this weekend so that's not an issue for this match. Granted it will be next year so thats a different decision. What Hansen has been able to do is avoid the last match of the year horrors his side have had from the last two tours. The run on side this week will be well rested and pumped for this.

Although the results mean nothing on next year the ability to prepare the same team, on the same ground against similar opposition is something to gain benefits from. A test run of the semi final is my guess, haka and all.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 4:33 am

T/man hi,sorry but your wrong Slade since his return to Crusaders is the form 10,with
respect goalkicking is`n t something that can be fixed.

IF Carter is fully fit/match fit he starts goalkicking usually not a problem, the mindset
we don`t need to kick goals.Because we score more trys is flawed in 2012 England
inflicted NZ`s greatest loss.

Admittedly lack of preparation/fitness was affected by norovirus attack.BUT England took the right option keep the scoreboard ticking.

Despite matching them try for try the game was gone by half time,in the RC the losing
side [drawing].Turned down 3 instead going for the drive from lineout turned over the ball
and lost.

In the case of Aus,SA,even England those kicks would probably have been goals NZ
with Barrett/Cruden this year.7`s were 5`s and 3`s 0 and as for drop goals forget it.

The loss to SA wasn't the last minute penalty,it was a missed goalkick which would
have drawn.Carter is palpably unfit,Cruden possibly still carrying one. Slade wasn't
there as a utility he was insurance for a possible Carter injury.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 18 Nov 2014, 5:45 am

emack2 wrote:T/man hi,sorry but your wrong Slade since his return to Crusaders is the form 10,with
respect goalkicking is`n t something that can be fixed.

IF Carter is fully fit/match fit he starts goalkicking usually not a problem, the mindset
we don`t need to kick goals.Because we score more trys is flawed in 2012 England
inflicted NZ`s greatest loss.

Admittedly lack of preparation/fitness was affected by norovirus attack.BUT England took the right option keep the scoreboard ticking.

Despite matching them try for try the game was gone by half time,in the RC the losing
side [drawing].Turned down 3 instead going for the drive from lineout turned over the ball
and lost.

In the case of Aus,SA,even England those kicks would probably have been goals NZ
with Barrett/Cruden this year.7`s were 5`s and 3`s 0 and as for drop goals forget it.

The loss to SA wasn't the last minute penalty,it was  a missed goalkick which would
have drawn.Carter is palpably unfit,Cruden possibly still carrying one. Slade wasn't
there as a utility he was insurance for a possible Carter injury.

Well thats not what Hansen said about Slade so I'd prefer to go with that- he said Slade was in to test his versatility. They didnt need to haul Slade from the Baabaas outfit if it was purely to back up Carter. They could have done that with Barrett or Cruden.

Cruden is the form 10 from the England series and played the Eden park massacre of Oz, running the backline as well as anyone has since the World cup.

Slade hasnt done anywhere near that. Crusaders form is not test form, nor was his sxv form better than Cruden was in tests. And, his Chiefs combo with SBW will see him play here- no doubt about that. Slade and Carter are for next year. At best Slade on the bench, Carter doesnt deserve another shot...he was dismal.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:10 am

maestegmafia wrote:
DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:

15. L. Williams
14. 1/2p
13. S.Williams
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Biggar
9. Webb
8. Faletau
7. Tipuric
6. Warburton
5. AWJ
4. Ball
3. Lee
2. Hibbard
1. James

When Jenkins came on against Australia our scrum improved remarkably. I would take Jenkins over james for experience and that he is a better all round rugby player than james, who is a bit of a donkey when it comes to making decisions.

I would also keep Lydiate on, bring tips on as an impact sub, but Lydiate has been one of our best players so far this autumn.

Biggest selection issue I see is who will partner AWJ?

Lydiate has been one of our best TACKLERS this autumn, but has not offered much else.
As for who will partner AWJ, you have Charteris and Davies who didn't show up at all against Fiji, and Ball who had an excellent game against Australia.
Not sure there's much of a debate there?

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:41 am

Ball to partner AWj

Jenkins' work rate not there anymore

We need people who can tackle tackle and tackle, thats Lydiate
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:03 am

BW I am usually a big fan of lydiate but I would go for tipuric on this occasion for more mobility,

however I think Gats will go with Lydiate

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:25 am

I would pick the following. Form is important, so is experience. There were too many situations in the last two matches where we lacked experience.

Jenks
Hibs
Lee
AWJ
Charteris
Lyds
Warbs
Taulupe
Webb
Biggar
North
Roberts
Scott Williams
Cuthbert
Liam Williams

Baldwin
James
Jones
Ball
Tipuric
Phillips
Hook
Halfpenny

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:26 am

GD,

I think its a close call and again I wouldn't be overly upset but I don't think Tipuric is fully back on form and is Warburton as good at doing what Lydiate does?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:42 am

Interesting that along with Lydiate, Faletau is now undroppable in many peoples' minds. Add his name to Warburton, Lydiate, Halfpenny, North and Roberts, and you have the makings of an extremely unhealthy squad set up. No pressure to perform, no chance of being dropped.
Enjoy holding those tackle bags squad players!

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:03 am

HG,

Along with Li Williams Faletau was only one to come out of last weeks game with any plaudits and he had a good game, I don't think he's ever really had a bad game for us.

I would have liked to have seen Baker involved this series but by all accounts he;s been carrying a knock so wasn't risked last week.

Maes,

I take it you are picking Jenkins and Charteris for their experience as neither have showed much form this season and certainly didn't last week also Jenkins' experience brought nothing to his role as skipper last week.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:06 am

The team

Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), George North (Northampton Saints), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys); Paul James (Bath), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Unattached), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, CAPT), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), James Hook (Gloucester), Liam Williams (Scarlets).
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next