The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs NZ

+58
Allty
kingraf
nobbled
Otagolad
Hood83
JDizzle
LondonTiger
alive555
RDSguru
TJ
TightHEAD
Sgt_Pooly
majesticimperialman
Knackeredknees
monty junior
RDW
tigertattie
Geordie
Duty281
kiakahaaotearoa
whocares
Pal Joey
BamBam
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
blackcanelion
Seagultaf
aucklandlaurie
Cyril
SecretFly
Cardiff Dave
offload
jimmyinthewell68
rainbow-warrior
Tattie Scones RRN
chris_501
ScarletSpiderman
mckay1402
wales606
GavinDragon
maestegmafia
emack2
Higher_Ground
gavstar
No9
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Taylorman
Biltong
Bullsbok
glamorganalun
The Saint
irnbrew
Comfort
Liam
Knowsit17
GunsGerms
disneychilly
Coleman
62 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Wales vs NZ - Page 2 Empty Wales vs NZ

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wales vs NZ - Page 2 10686940_10152559056293722_8429509000126913409_n

Team announced
15. Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon)
14. Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues)
13. Jonathan Davies (Clermont Auvergne)
12. Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro)
11. George North (Northampton Saints)
10. Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
9. Rhys Webb (Ospreys)

1. Paul James (Bath)
2. Richard Hibbard (Gloucester)
3. Samson Lee (Scarlets)
4. Jake Ball (Scarlets)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
6. Dan Lydiate (Unattached)
7. Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, CAPT)
8. Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)

Replacements:
16. Scott Baldwin (Ospreys)
17. Nicky Smith (Ospreys)
18. Rhodri Jones (Scarlets)
19. Luke Charteris (Racing Metro)
20. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)
21. Mike Phillips (Racing Metro)
22. James Hook (Gloucester)
23. Liam Williams (Scarlets)

Last edited by IronMike on Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:39 am; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Wales vs NZ - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales vs NZ

Post by GavinDragon Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:06 am

Team to face AB's

Halfpenny
Cuthbert
Davies
Roberts
North
Biggar
Webb

Faletau
Warburton (c)
Lydiate
Jones
Ball
Lee
Hibbard
James

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:07 am

Interesting to see Preistland and Gethin drop out of the 22, especially since both with be available against SA while James and Hook will not.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:08 am

Jenkins apparently has a hamstring injury, Priestland looks to have been dropped.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:08 am

* apparently Gethin is injured
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:10 am

If Dan Biggar gets a lengthy injury before the world cup, we are in trouble,

No wonder Gatland is so keen on Anscombe getting involved.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:17 am

Shocking decision to drop Li Williams, Halfpenny hasn't shown half the amount of attacking intent Williams has.

As much as I think that is our best centre pairing if fully fit I think its a huge ask of JD to come straight back in.

Happy with the pack
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:22 am

I don't think North has done anything to deserve his place. He has been culpable for at least two tries against and maybe another one. His defence has been terrible and he hasn't offered a lot in attack. Cuthbert has been far the better winger. I would have probably dropped North to the bench, brought halfpenny into the wing and played Williams at FB.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:26 am

mckay1402 wrote:I don't think North has done anything to deserve his place.  He has been culpable for at least two tries against and maybe another one.  His defence has been terrible and he hasn't offered a lot in attack.  Cuthbert has been far the better winger.  I would have probably dropped North to the bench, brought halfpenny into the wing and played Williams at FB.  

mckay,

You mean St George the un-droppable one of the golden childs I am afraid but I agree with you.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:37 am

I think we all know that this is the World Cup side, or near enough to it, that back 3 were never in doubt.

But I do think Williams needs to be involved somehow, hes proven over the last couple of games he isnt as much of a loose cannon.

I would have persevered with Roberts and Scott Williams, this is JD2's first game back from injury and its against worlds best side.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:41 am

IronMike wrote:I think we all know that this is the World Cup side, or near enough to it, that back 3 were never in doubt.

But I do think Williams needs to be involved somehow, hes proven over the last couple of games he isnt as much of a loose cannon.

I would have persevered with Roberts and Scott Williams, this is JD2's first game back from injury and its against worlds best side.

Agree there Mike will be a big ask, would have been tempted to start him on bench but then Li Williams would have missed out all together which would have been totally unfair on the guy.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:46 am

mckay1402 wrote:I don't think North has done anything to deserve his place.  He has been culpable for at least two tries against and maybe another one.  His defence has been terrible and he hasn't offered a lot in attack.  Cuthbert has been far the better winger.  I would have probably dropped North to the bench, brought halfpenny into the wing and played Williams at FB.  

What two tries? I can only think of the one that Biggar took the flack for. Or are you going back to the summer, and back to the last six nations etc? Lets be honest here, Cuthbert is dire in defence too, he took AWJ out, allowing the Aussies to score a try, so that would be one bad defensive decision each IMO. And in Norths Defence he was playing out of position at the time.

I think Priest has dropped from the side as he is seen as a fly half only, unlike Hook. If you look at the backs there is cover for everywhere (bar half backs) from a couple of players, which wouldn't have been the case if Priest were on the bench.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:52 am

SS,

Not a Hook fan and don't think Priestland deserves half the stick he gets but maybe this is an admission by Gatland that he got it wrong and should have included Hook from the off?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:54 am

Looks like a very strong team. Halfpenny and Williams must have been very close but Halfpenny has been a standout player in this Welsh squad for the last few seasons, he has some credit in the bank. Also he is still an exceptional defender and offers a great kicking option.

I'm glad to see Hook on the bench, but with a view to this, surely he should have been given 20 minutes on Saturday?

Pack looks physical, a strong bench too with Tipuric and Charteris.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:57 am

chris_501 wrote:Looks like a very strong team. Halfpenny and Williams must have been very close but Halfpenny has been a standout player in this Welsh squad for the last few seasons, he has some credit in the bank. Also he is still an exceptional defender and offers a great kicking option.

I'm glad to see Hook on the bench, but with a view to this, surely he should have been given 20 minutes on Saturday?

Chris,

You say that and in a way you're right but he won't be available next week so on the flip side maybe he should have kept Priestland in the squad and given him another run off the bench as he will be recalled next week.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:00 pm

With all due respect, there is a chance NZ face another fly-half crisis. Carter and Cruden don't seem to have returned to form yet, and right now are pretty average kicking at goal. Slade just doesn't worry me at all. The fitness of Barrett is absolutely crucial in order for NZ to avoid this potential crisis. And this isn't the situation NZ would like to find themselves in during the RWC either.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:22 pm

With Gethin being injured, the only surprise there is Priestland dropped and Hook on the bench. Otherwise, its the exact team most predicted... Unfortunatly, reckon the ABs predicted this as well Sad

Saying that, apart from the discussed option of Liam at 15 and Halfpenny to wing, not sure there was that many options.

Think Scott Williams can be duly gutted to be dropped for a untested Davies in such a big game.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:25 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
chris_501 wrote:Looks like a very strong team. Halfpenny and Williams must have been very close but Halfpenny has been a standout player in this Welsh squad for the last few seasons, he has some credit in the bank. Also he is still an exceptional defender and offers a great kicking option.

Chris,

You say that and in a way you're right but he won't be available next week so on the flip side maybe he should have kept Priestland in the squad and given him another run off the bench as he will be recalled next week.

There is that I guess. My view is that against these top sides you put out the strongest team available, the matches against the likes of Fiji and Samoa should be used to give game time or work on partnerships. I also still hold out hope that Hook can become a reliable outside half, maybe not to usurp Biggar, but as a good second option!

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:28 pm

Chris,

I think that boat has sailed for me he will be nothing more than what he is, a good versatile squad member.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:37 pm

I would still rather Hook came on off the bench than Priestland.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:54 pm

I wouldn't be happy with either of them if totally honest. Such a shame he didn't have a look at O Williams this series.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:55 pm

not surprised liam not in, I said as much, although I thought maybe bench. owen Williams good performance against sarries.great final kick for the draw 21/21. gavin Henson 13 points for bath ,including drop goal, 23/ 14v Newcastle. I can hear the laughs, but still reckon he's got it ,real silky performance ( sounds like strictly !!!!) lets hope biggar stays fit until we have a genuine 10 option on the bench to cover for him. either of the above would be better than priest or hook.  seriously. one thing in their favour ,they haven't been ruined by the wales camp training !!!!! idea Smile

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:56 pm

True, williams and Henson would be better than priest or hook.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:01 pm

Don't get me wrong I would like to see us have another look at Henson see if his head is finally in the right place but is he really one for the future.

He will be 33, nearly 34 by time the WC comes around for me we should be looking at Williams, Patchell when fit and I would have said M Morgan but not while he is at Bristol or rather while Bristol are in the Championship.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:11 pm

Good team, but I fear a hiding for you Welsh boys I'm afraid.

Good luck though... OK

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:24 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Good team, but I fear a hiding for you Welsh boys I'm afraid.

Good luck though... OK

At least it will be to their 1st XV rather than their 2nd team Smile
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:26 pm

Wondered who'd get that in first Rainbow...well done son!

Very Happy

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:33 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote: Wondered who'd get that in first Rainbow...well done son!

Very Happy

Best to get the truth out there a.s.a.p that's the way I see it:) I am sure Tonga will be far more respectful.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 18 Nov 2014, 2:30 pm

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote: Wondered who'd get that in first Rainbow...well done son!

Very Happy

Best to get the truth out there a.s.a.p  that's the way I see it:)  I am sure Tonga will be far more respectful.

And that worries me......

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 2:59 pm

I think AB s nearly messed up playing their second team against Scotland . I think they ll be the dark horses of the six nations . Wales keep within 10 points against the blacks, i ll take it

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:20 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:I think AB s nearly messed up playing their second team against Scotland . I think they ll be the dark horses of the six nations .  Wales keep within 10 points against the blacks,  i ll take it

True, but I fear our backline won't get near the try line, meanwhile they have Visser
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:23 pm

I like Lydiate, but after having a good game against Australia, he seemed to not do a lot against Fiji (admitedly no-one did bar Liam Williams). A couple of big tackles (not huge) and that was about it, anonymous at the breakdown.

After watching Kaino at 6 against England, I just want more action from our 6. Faletau carries very well in the wider channels with more space and uses his footwork and pace to get over the gainline. Hes not a bosher for close quarter carrying though, but his breakdown work is superb, tackling is efective but not destructive. Baker just has more potentcy carrying in the tight for me, and has had a very strong opening to the season. His tackling is strong, more destructive than Faletaus but probably less effeective overall in his defensive work. I'd suggest Faletau could be a revelation at 6 after being a bit quiet for a while (imo) having a more powerful ball carrier in the backrow with him at 8. Combining their qualities with Warbs at 7 (breakdown work, carrying and linking) I think it'd be an exceptional backrow, and with Tips on the bench you could go 7 for 7 or change the dynamic of the backrow in numerous ways depending on how the games going.

Also, I'm worried about the 13/14 channell, JD is great positionally but his first test back is against NZ with a weakdefender outside him? Tackling and positional play from Cuthbert is weak, expect Savea to attack the whole between them all game long. I'd have rather had Cuthbert on the bench to come on later in the game to use his pace and power against tiring legs and shoulders. Halfpennys a better defender all around, even taking into account the size difference in head on collisions. I also dont understand how you can leave out the form outside back in Wales.

Even if you dont want to start Baker, Id have had warbs at 6, tips at 7 with Baker on the bench.

I think the selections at 6, 13 & 14 will cost us, the most anyway.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:30 pm

At last Gats can see the light ( I hope), does it mean we are going to get in NZ import at 10 for SA as Hook is not available or do we go backwards again. Like Hook O Williams and Henson are not options for SA.

If Gats looks at another option for the EWC is Pratchell fit or look at Shingler/Davies/Tovey?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
If Gats looks at another option for the EWC is Pratchell

Patchell is out for 3 months
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:40 pm

That's the best team he could have picked. With good bench options of Williams, Tipuric and Jones in particular. We will need 1/2p's defense and place kicking ability against the best team in the world.

Can't believe that 'has been Henson' has been even mentioned on here. picard
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 5:00 pm

Offload,

I think Biggars kicking is as good as Halfpennys other than the long range pots at goal Halfpenny takes. If you compare the lets say 'normal' kicks these guys have to take then they are pretty even.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 5:02 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Offload,

I think Biggars kicking is as good as Halfpennys other than the long range pots at goal Halfpenny takes.  If you compare the lets say 'normal' kicks these guys have to take then they are pretty even.

But long range kicks can be all the difference
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 5:51 pm

wales606 wrote:

I think Biggars kicking is as good as Halfpennys other than the long range pots at goal Halfpenny takes.  If you compare the lets say 'normal' kicks these guys have to take then they are pretty even.

They can be yeah but so can a XV who is willing to run the ball back rather than kick it away everytime. I think the long range kicks are seen as a bit of a bonus hit or miss type advantage.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:35 pm

wales606 wrote:* apparently Gethin is injured

He had a hamstring injury vs Fiji...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 18 Nov 2014, 8:55 pm

Personally wouldn't have started him anyway but guess he would have benched. Good be a very young and in-experienced front row next week though if he doesn't recover.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:02 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:I think AB s nearly messed up playing their second team against Scotland . I think they ll be the dark horses of the six nations .  Wales keep within 10 points against the blacks,  i ll take it

Tiz the Welsh way it seems. Losing to SH teams is acceptable, for some reason.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:27 pm

wales606 wrote:

Wouldn't make any diff against NZ though.
As ever, they know what they are doing and we don't.
Liked the 20 phase NZ try against England in the pouring rain, btw. Two very good teams made that happen.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:44 pm

Cannot believe people keep putting Bakers name up there .Its been stated on here on a few threads that he has not been training because of injury and then throw him in against the ABs or on the bench

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:14 pm

Reality is thats about the best team we have right now,but still the All Blacks will be 20 clear points better than us i reckon.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:25 pm

Resting so many NZ players versus Scotland has many benefits for this match. Last two years they've obviously decided the last match of the AI's at the end of a long season makes them vulnerable.

The call for playing big matches 3-4 weeks in a row is showing more and more in fatigue. Look at England in the third test vs NZ, France in Oz. And next year any world cup finalist will have to do that. By playing a largely second string side versus Argentina in the last pool match frees up the side to only play 3 in a row.

No wonder World cup finals are usually intense yet largely non eventful...everyone's stuffed by the time they get there...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 18 Nov 2014, 11:37 pm

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Reality is thats about the best team we have right now,but still the All Blacks will be 20 clear points better than us i reckon.

They are a pretty awesome team when fit. I hope we play well but anyone beating this All Blacks team is achieving something pretty rare.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 19 Nov 2014, 3:12 am

my man of the moment is biggar 100%, BUT Henson is the magic man who has the crucial combination we are all seeking at 10, slight of hand ,drop shoulder glide pass, backed by a1 defence. also long range kicking no problem he did it this week, yes age on paper may be against him , but hours on the pitch show a different story. injured, between clubs, disputes, have all taken a substantial slice off the of the cumulative hours he would have put in . I reckon bringing him and owen Williams in as combo 10,12,15 cover for the future would be great news . he looked ace against Newcastle, working well within his limits but somehow managing to see that pass, slip that tackle , I'm in love with rugby again gav !!!!!!! kiss

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 19 Nov 2014, 8:57 am

Taylorman wrote:No wonder World cup finals are usually intense yet largely non eventful...everyone's stuffed by the time they get there...

It's how it should be TM. As soon as the pools are over it's kitchen sink stuff. You can't not give all you have in the QF or SF because the opposition most probably will and that could well mean, and has meant that you won't be there.

Rather have a team that's rooted in a final than a team that's fresh for the 3/4 playoff or one already home from losing the QF!

Hope SBW starts-Tuesday training's a big one usually and he missed that to watch his wee one's birth.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 19 Nov 2014, 9:56 am

SBW went back to New Zealand?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 19 Nov 2014, 10:00 am

SecretFly wrote:SBW went back to New Zealand?

No, just took the day off training
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 19 Nov 2014, 10:07 am

Oh...watched on Skype or something....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content