The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

+47
ScarletSpiderman
EST
Captain_Sensible
Anglobraveheart
SirBurger
Manky-Flanker
WhiskyBluff
highland_scot
Heuer27
cp10
Totalflanker
Majestic83
R!skysports
teh_Dingmeister
whocares
cakeordeath
nickj
Tattie Scones RRN
lostinwales
JonnyEdinburgh
RuggerRadge2611
MacKnocked-on
Prothero
Dorothy_Mantooth
TheMildlyFranticLlama
mckay1402
Weegie Wizard
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Argybargy
justified sinner
Imperialbigdave
TJ
alive555
GLove39
VinceWLB
madmaccas
tigertattie
demosthenes
BigGee
IanBru
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
Nematode
EWT Spoons
RDW
George Carlin
51 posters

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Dec 2014, 7:24 am

First topic message reminder :

Prehistorical Patter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Fawlty11
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Elves10

1. League Results

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

2. European Results

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Orc10

1. League Results

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

2. European Results

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 31 Jan 2015, 12:44 pm; edited 6 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

Post by madmaccas Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:58 pm

IanBru wrote:
madmaccas wrote:Brendan McKibbin is heading to London Irish. Disappointing that Glasgow couldn't secure him, but am I right in saying he's still Scottish qualified? As far as I remember he was picked for the Wallabies squad but never played.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30982430
I thought so too, but it seems that under (Regulation 8.3) he is tied to Australia by virtue of having sat on their subs bench, but without having played.

It's pretty bizarre that a player can be tied to a country without having received a cap.

Balls!

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:54 pm

We don't need another scrum half. Glasgow do, but Scotland has enough options.

If Glasgow could get someone really good, it's probably a position where I could live with an NSQ player. Will Genia, Fourie Du Preez or Aaron Smith should do just fine....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 26 Jan 2015, 4:10 pm

Glasgow could do with a Fourie Du Preez or a Dimetri Yachvilli

Genia and Aaron Smith play a different style to that of the weedge!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 26 Jan 2015, 8:46 pm

I'm not too concerned - what was an area of concern is actually an area of riches (for Scotland).

We've got for the RWC: Laidlaw, Cusiter, Pyrgos and Sam H-C who I'd be happy with starting. Also Pyrgos and Sam H-C are very good kickers and will only get better.

Ali Price hasn't had much game time at Glasgow but I'm sure when he does he'll improve.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 26 Jan 2015, 8:53 pm

McKibbon is 29 years old and coming over to LI for a pension fund. I would have been amazed if he was not sounded out to come over to Scotland a few years back when he was a genuine international prospect and we were not exactly overflowing with SH's. He clearly made up his mind that he wanted to play for Oz and fair play to him for that. Decision made and we have moved on as well and are not short of options in that position now, It would not happen now even if he had not sat on the bench for Australia.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:29 am

Dodson's come out and defended the call up of Blake, which is fair enough, it's good to hear the lad has been scouted for a while (allegedly).  Anyway the main part I want to call out is where it talks about Murrayfield being an option for the SFA.  It's being proposed to "slash the SRU’s £11 million debt", I thought the BT cash was being used to pay off the debt?  Not sure if this means there is more debt, or if the BT money is being paid in installments and it's not all available to pay this off.  Anyway I just thought it was strange to mention this, when I think we all assumed the BT deal would put the SRU in the black.

Mark Dodson - From the Scotsman wrote:SCOTTISH Rugby Union chief executive Mark Dodson has defended coach Vern Cotter’s controversial decision to include Hugh Blake in his RBS Six Nations squad.

The former New Zealand Under-20s back-rower only moved to Edinburgh last month and has yet to even feature for the pro team, instead making a handful of appearances for Melrose.
The 22-year-old was included at the expense of former Scotland skipper Kelly Brown and Scarlets flanker John Barclay, and former internationals Andy Nicol and Peter Wright both criticised the inclusion of Blake, claiming it sent the wrong message to the nation’s juniors.

But Dodson insists there are plenty of home-grown youngsters receiving their chance.
The chief executive said: “I don’t think it is sending the wrong message out. It might have done had we not capped so many young Scottish players over the last two years. Hamish Watson is in the squad, so is Sam Hidalgo-Clyne and Ben Toolis. It is not as if we’ve brought Hugh Blake in and no-one else is getting capped.
“People should also not make the assumption that we have not been tracking Hugh Blake. We’ve been tracking him for ages. We had him watched down in New Zealand making sure the progress is there and Vern believes this boy can bring something to the squad that we don’t have. He has a special skill set that we don’t possess.”

Dodson also insisted the SRU is ready to open the doors of BT Murrayfield to its footballing counterparts if the SFA decides to quit Hampden.
The Scottish Football Association’s lease on the National Stadium in Glasgow ends in 2020 and chief executive Stewart Regan confirmed last summer he is “exploring all options”.
Now Dodson has offered the use of the 67,000-seater home of Scottish rugby.

Murrayfield staged Celtic’s Champions League qualifiers this season after Parkhead was ruled out during the Commonwealth Games, while Hearts have also hosted big European nights there. Dodson is keen to slash the SRU’s £11 million debt and believes allowing the SFA to play football at Murrayfield could present another handy stream of income.
He said: “We’re open to the idea of football being played here. We haven’t had any official conversations with the SFA but clearly, if there is a desire from them to come and play at Murrayfield, then we would happily listen to proposals.”

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:44 am

Interesting - I thought the idea was to pay off the debt too, but looking through the press releases at the time that isn't mentioned anywhere:

"We will invest the monies that we receive from BT alongside the revenues that come from our other partners to continue our plan to grow the game of rugby throughout Scotland and deliver against our strategic plan and our recent policy paper initiatives - in particular, the establishment of a robust academy structure and to enhance the standard of club rugby."

Maybe everyone thought they would use it for that, but according to the press releases that was never the plan...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:53 am

Strange. I'm no CEO of a large organisation, but if I was paying, I would imagine, whopping amounts in interest on an £11m loan, I think the first line in my strategic plan would be "Pay off the £11m debt

But then, as I say, I'm not a CEO pocketing wads of cash every year...maybe this is where I've been going wrong all these years.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Accountants aren't that bothered with debt as long as the repayments are structured in a way that they can be paid off over a certain amount of time. With the injection of the BT money he would have went to the bank saying look we have XX amount. Here's a chunk and this is how we'd like to structure the remaining payments. i.e reduce the APR %.

I would estimate that up to £1m a year will be going into the new academy's. Which is were the bulk of the money will have been ear marked for X amount of years.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:58 am

£1m per year in new academies sounds good, although I'm never too sure how that translates into tangible outcomes. there's a (luddite) part of me that always says, "Yes but how much money are we putting into getting people actually playing rugby?"
One part of my brain thinks that the people at Ayr RFC should receive a Nobel Prize for producing Bennett and Russell while another thinks that as long as we can increase playing numbers at all levels then talent will come through. I think what I'm trying to say is that while producing the next Gary Armstrong or Tom Smith is important so, equally, is keeping the game alive as a participatory rather than a spectator sport.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 11:45 am

jimbopip wrote:£1m per year in new academies sounds good, although I'm never too sure how that translates into tangible outcomes. there's a (luddite) part of me that always says, "Yes but how much money are we putting into getting people actually playing rugby?"  
One part of my brain thinks that the people at Ayr RFC should receive a Nobel Prize for producing Bennett and Russell while another thinks that as long as we can increase playing numbers at all levels then talent will come through. I think what I'm trying to say is that while producing the next Gary Armstrong or Tom Smith is important so, equally, is keeping the game alive as a participatory  rather than a spectator sport.

Falkirk and Stirling might argue with you about Russell. Russell came out and said Falkirk gave him the break in senior rugby he need. He still goes back and visits the club. County youth system produced him.

Academy's are there for the development of elite players not to grow the game

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:04 pm

A little late in coming thanks to some very unsociable working conditions (no internet) I thought Edinburgh were excellent against Bordeaux and to be honest Glasgow got a wee bit robbed by Bath and to a greater extent Lacey in their match....

still a reasonably bright 6N ahead for Scotland.

Furthermore, been sitting on this for a while since I'm always weary about brodcasting this sort of stuff, Mrs Radge is expecting a mini Radge in the early part of August.

FES I need advice and guidance...... thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:11 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Furthermore, been sitting on this for a while since I'm always weary about brodcasting this sort of stuff, Mrs Radge is expecting a mini Radge in the early part of August.

Yahoo

Great news Radge!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:13 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Furthermore, been sitting on this for a while since I'm always weary about brodcasting this sort of stuff, Mrs Radge is expecting a mini Radge in the early part of August.

Outstanding news, buddy!!

On the second point, are you planning on dressing your first-born in tweed? Just asking... thumbsup
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:14 pm

IanBru wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Furthermore, been sitting on this for a while since I'm always weary about brodcasting this sort of stuff, Mrs Radge is expecting a mini Radge in the early part of August.

On the second point, are you planning on dressing your first-born in tweed? Just asking... thumbsup

Tweed? Isn't that a noise a budgie makes? I'm a fifer despite following the Edinburgh Yuppies. angel
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:15 pm

Congratulations Radge, although I feel sorry for Mrs Radge.

She has to put up with the crying, the constant excretions, the unreasonable demands by an uncomprehending juvenille, the incomprehensible gibberish, the food strewn on the floor and the crazy broken-up nights.

And then there's the baby to contend with.
Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
IanBru wrote:

Tweed? Isn't that a noise a budgie makes? I'm a fifer despite following the Edinburgh Yuppies. angel

....so shell suits and sovvy rings then? Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:51 pm

Congratulations Radge - fantastic news!!

All I can say is watch all the rugby you can now, because as far as you are concerned the Rugby World Cup isn't happening!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

Congrats Radge

Seems like everyone on here is having babies these days! I need to start keeping up with the trends!

Now, where is Leo Cullen's Mrs..............................
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 27 Jan 2015, 3:41 pm

Congratulations Radge. Great news

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 27 Jan 2015, 4:04 pm

Radge, congratulations. Get in as much sleep as you can because all too soon it'll be a distant memory. Fes is mistaken about missing the world cup; you'll be watching lots of tv in the wee small hours so make sure to record the matches.

CP10 thanks for correcting me re. young Dancer getting his break at Falkirk.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 5:21 pm

Ryan Wilson has pleaded guilty and been found guilty of some of his charges. Grant and Hughes with 'not proven' verdicts.

SRU statement:

Following today's judgement at the Sheriff Court in Glasgow Mark Dodson, Chief Executive of Scottish Rugby, said:

"This has been a wholly regrettable episode. Regardless of the verdict there is absolutely no place in the game, on or off the pitch, for the sort of behaviour that has led to criminal proceedings being taken.

"Rugby has a longstanding reputation as a family sport and all players have a responsibility to uphold the game's values.

"Those involved have learned a harsh lesson and I know that the three players, who are also our employees, are extremely chastened and remorseful about the whole episode.

"It's completely unacceptable for any player within our employment to let themselves get into such a situation and this case should act as a powerful reminder to all players that they are role models for our sport.

"Ryan Wilson, having pleaded guilty to one amended charge, and subsequently found guilty of an additional charge will be immediately suspended. Scottish Rugby will be considering at Board level what further action is appropriate and will make an announcement in due course.

"Ryan Grant and Rory Hughes having received Not Proven verdicts will return to their club, Glasgow Warriors. Both have already been the subject of internal disciplinary action.

"Scottish Rugby acknowledges and regrets the effect this incident has had on Ally Maclay and will be having a discussion with him to understand if there is any support he may need going forward."

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 5:30 pm

Wilson was found guilty of punching, but not of kicking or stamping him.

He has been fined - I suspect he's very grateful just to get that.

BBC article:

A Scottish international rugby player has been found guilty of punching a fellow player in a fast food shop in Glasgow while he was dressed as Batman.

Glasgow warrior Ryan Wilson hit Glasgow Hawk captain Ally Maclay after a Halloween night out on 27 October 2013.

Mr Maclay, 30, was dressed as Tweedledee during the incident at Barbeque Kings in the city's west end.

Wilson, 25, previously pleaded guilty to assaulting another man minutes earlier that night. He was fined £750.

During the trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court, Wilson admitted assaulting Gavin Quinn, by pulling him onto the floor.

'Unprovoked attack'
Fining Wilson £250 for the assault on Mr Quinn and £500 for the assault on Mr Maclay, Sheriff Martin Jones QC told the rugby player that both assaults "appeared to be unprovoked" and within a short time of one another, and after drinking alcohol.

He added: "There's nothing unusual about that situation."

Wilson was originally charged, along with Ryan Grant, 29, a Glasgow Warrior and British Lion, and fellow Warrior Rory Hughes, 21, of kicking and stamping on Mr Maclay to his severe injury during the incident at the shop on Great Western Road.

Following the trial, the jury found Wilson guilty of punching Mr Maclay only, but not kicking and stamping on him, and found the charge against the other two not proven.

During the trial the court heard how the rugby players had entered the fast food shop after a Halloween night out.

Wilson wanted to sit in the booth beside Mr Quinn so he could speak to his rugby colleague, Richie Vernon - who was dressed as a shark - but he was told to go away.

Wilson put his foot on the table in a bid to climb over into the seat, but Mr Quinn pushed it away.

'Leave it Batman'
He then grabbed hold of Mr Quinn and pulled him from the seat on to the floor and there was a bit of a struggle between the men which "fizzled off".

Mr Maclay then came in to the food shop and was told by his friend what had happened to him.

When Mr Quinn spoke again with Wilson, Mr Maclay said "leave it Batman" before he was punched by Wilson and fell to the ground.

He grabbed Mr Quinn as he stumbled back and Wilson landed on the floor with them.

The court heard that a minion, a red crayon and others in fancy dress were nearby as the incident unfolded.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 27 Jan 2015, 5:34 pm

Ooof. Let's see what the sanction for Wilson is.

Really must be very embarrassing for him, so hopefully there will be a balance between making an example of him and not completely fecking his career. I wonder if the IRB has anything to say about this or whether it is left to the player's only union to administer sanctions.

Very difficult to know how to approach punishment. For example, I think that Calum Clark intentionally breaking Rob Hawkins' arm, as a calculated act of cruelty, is much worse than tw@tting some diddy in a kebab house. Not that both are very good, of course.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 27 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm

I completely agree George. There are far worse crimes out there and if he serves his punishment and learns from it, then fine.

I would also put a LOT of money that this:

'Richie Vernon - who was dressed as a shark - but he was told to go away.'

was actually eff off.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 5:56 pm

Guys . He was found guilty of assaulting two individuals with no obvious provocation. The second victim required reconstructive surgery to repair the fracture to his face.
Ashamed rather than embarrassed would be a better description of how Wilson should be feeling.
Wilson is extremely lucky to be breathing fresh air tonight and he is not someone who I would wish to be representing my club.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 27 Jan 2015, 5:58 pm

I'm not saying it's good Heuer - just that it needs to be put into context.

The PR angle is not actually one that I'd considered.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:01 pm

Heuer27 wrote:Guys . He was found guilty of assaulting two individuals with no obvious provocation. The second victim required reconstructive surgery to repair the fracture to his face.
Ashamed rather than embarrassed would be a better description of how Wilson should be feeling.  
Wilson is extremely lucky to be breathing fresh air tonight and he is not someone who I would wish to be representing my club.

Absolutely - I was expecting community service or a suspended sentence at least. He must be incredibly relieved at a 750 quid fine, which probably is very little inconvenience to him.

I suspect he's going to be banned by Glasgow - maybe 4 or 5 games.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:09 pm

Everyone at the incident have already been disciplined, last year. It was kept very quiet.

I'm not particularly acquainted with employment law but having been fined at court and already internally disciplined for the incident, I don't think the SRU can do much more.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:13 pm

But that was before he's been found guilty of anything - I suppose the previous sanction would be for bringing the club into disrepute and he could face further action now he's guilty?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:19 pm

That would be a triple punishment for the one incident which I think they would struggle to justify if challenged. I know at least one of the group tried to appeal the discipline process.

Two others are leaving the club in the summer. Bath are getting a new crayon apparently.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:26 pm

Who was the crayon?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:46 pm

27/01/15 Posted in
Following today's judgement at the Sheriff Court in Glasgow Mark Dodson, Chief Executive of Scottish Rugby, said:

"This has been a wholly regrettable episode. Regardless of the verdict there is absolutely no place in the game, on or off the pitch, for the sort of behaviour that has led to criminal proceedings being taken.

"Rugby has a longstanding reputation as a family sport and all players have a responsibility to uphold the game's values.

"Those involved have learned a harsh lesson and I know that the three players, who are also our employees, are extremely chastened and remorseful about the whole episode.

"It's completely unacceptable for any player within our employment to let themselves get into such a situation and this case should act as a powerful reminder to all players that they are role models for our sport.

"Ryan Wilson, having pleaded guilty to one amended charge, and subsequently found guilty of an additional charge will be immediately suspended. Scottish Rugby will be considering at Board level what further action is appropriate and will make an announcement in due course.

"Ryan Grant and Rory Hughes having received Not Proven verdicts will return to their club, Glasgow Warriors. Both have already been the subject of internal disciplinary action.

"Scottish Rugby acknowledges and regrets the effect this incident has had on Ally Maclay and will be having a discussion with him to understand if there is any support he may need going forward."

Doesn't look good for Wilson after that statement.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 27 Jan 2015, 6:47 pm

Interesting to read today that New Zealand's rugby league fullback Kevin Locke is considering playing for Scotland in the four nations tournament in 2016. Apparently the SRU made him offers to play for Edinburgh or Glasgow not so long ago but he decided to stay in League.
This has got me thinking about possible replacements for Maitland, why not go for Matty Russell from the Scotland RL team? He's been discussed on 606 before as a player who would be a real prospect in Union.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 7:05 pm

I hope they don't do anything too drastic with Wilson, perhaps a suspension until the end of the season and he should have to spend a certain amount of time working in difficult schools trying to spread awareness of rugby. He's been found guilty and had his punishment (which is admittedly quite lenient and probably amount to far less than a week's wages for him) let's not cut off our nose to spite our face and ruin a talented rugby player's career to make a point.

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 27 Jan 2015, 7:21 pm

For the sake of the uninitiated, I have produced this dramatis personae for your assistance:

NameRyan WilsonRyan GrantRory HughesRichie VernonGavin QuinnAlly MaclayAN Other
AKABatmanBane
TBC
SharkMinionTweedle DeeRed Crayon
PhotofitGlasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 611avdFVswL._SL1200_Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 804205
TBC
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 9665b037ebbaf6890af4cf0f5f6d5974Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 889720-Mens-Minion-Dave-Costume-largeGlasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Kids-tweedle-dee--dum-costumeGlasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Adult-red-crayon-costume
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 7:26 pm

Wilson isn't a victim in all of this and I don't think he deserves sympathy.
I think the SRU need to take a stand and send out a clear message that it will not accept any of its employees behaving like thugs.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 27 Jan 2015, 7:58 pm

Read the report now. Yes, it's bad. The 'other offence' was that Wilson smacked someone else earlier in the evening. I had this down as a momentary loss of control, but with two incidents, it can't be that. Sounds like it was more that he just wanted a fight - which means that we are indeed into 'thug' territory.

I've met about two thirds of the Glasgow team but not Wilson, so I can't offer any insight as to whether this was out of character or just a matter of time. Can anyone?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:11 pm

With Ashe breakthrough, a new 7 coming, Strauss now qualifying for Scotland as well as Glasgow chasing Nasi Manu, you would have to think Wilson's future may be elsewhere.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:37 pm

I've met him a couple of times in a pub after a game with Ryan Grant . I would describe him as a bit Larger than life .

Who is Nasi Manu? And what 7 is coming our way. .

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:55 pm

Nasi Manu is an 8 from the Highlanders with more than 60 super rugby caps to his name.

Glasgow are in the market for a 7 and i read they were linked with Treviso and Italy's Simone Favaro. Also i can't see all of Watson, Grant, Blake and Hardie playing at Edinburgh.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 9:17 pm

Heuer27 wrote:Wilson isn't a victim in all of this and I don't think he deserves sympathy.
I think the SRU need to take a stand and send out a clear message that it will not accept any of its employees behaving like thugs.

I'm with you on this one - A single punch can kill someone, and has done several times. Indeed the parents of a young guy who was killed when a random punched him, because he bumped into him in the street, run a ' just one punch' campaign to raise awareness.

Sounds like there wasn't overly much provocation either.

I'm not saying sack him, but he certainly needs more than a slap on the wrists and a pitiful fine.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 27 Jan 2015, 9:20 pm

Does not the fact that it was just a fine and not any kind of custodial sentence, suspended or otherwise, suggest it was looked upon as less serious. He was found not guilty of kicking him on the floor which would no doubt have been dealt with a lot more seriously had it been proven. He also pleaded guilty to he first assault in the end once the charges were down graded.

I am not trying to condone or trivialise the event in any way and he should certainly be sanctioned for it but sacking him is way to strong. If he was ever to do it again on the other hand. Hopefully he will have learnt his lesson. I am pretty sure he won't be playing for Scotland this year though. His form has dropped off this year anyway, probably not surprising with this hanging over him.

The other two not proven. Probably not the verdict they wanted either, but they walk away anyway and hopefully they will have learnt their lessons as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 27 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Strange.  I'm no CEO of a large organisation, but if I was paying, I would imagine, whopping amounts in interest on an £11m loan, I think the first line in my strategic plan would be "Pay off the £11m debt

But then, as I say, I'm not a CEO pocketing wads of cash every year...maybe this is where I've been going wrong all these years.

On the subject of the debt, there is no way that BT would just hand over the whole amount in one go, it will be in structured payments over the life of the contract. The debt is more manageable than ever as it is coming down and with interests rates so low, it is far easier to manage than it would have been in other times. They will probably always carry a degree of debt but won't be building a massive new stadium again for a long time so it should never be at the crippling levels it was. They also are looking at other revenue streams a lot more than they used to. If the SFA ever do decide to abandon Hampden to build a new stadium the SRU really could be quid's in for some time to come.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm

BigGee wrote:Does not the fact that it was just a fine and not any kind of custodial sentence, suspended or otherwise, suggest it was looked upon as less serious. He was found not guilty of kicking him on the floor which would no doubt have been dealt with a lot more seriously had it been proven. He also pleaded guilty to he first assault in the end once the charges were down graded.

I am not trying to condone or trivialise the event in any way and he should certainly be sanctioned for it but sacking him is way to strong. If he was ever to do it again on the other hand. Hopefully he will have learnt his lesson. I am pretty sure he won't be playing for Scotland this year though. His form has dropped off this year anyway, probably not surprising with this hanging over him.

The other two not proven. Probably not the verdict they wanted either, but they walk away anyway and hopefully they will have learnt their lessons as well.

You make some valid points Biggee, but the simple facts are he punched him in the face, and the guy had to have reconstructive surgery to put it all back together properly.

You are right in that we've not seen the full case and don't know all the facts, but that one on its own is fairly damming IMO.

On the Scotland front, he's our only other got number 8 just now so you never know....!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 9:49 pm

IanBru wrote:For the sake of the uninitiated, I have produced this dramatis personae for your assistance:

AKABatmanBane
TBC
PhotofitGlasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 611avdFVswL._SL1200_Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 804205
TBC
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 9665b037ebbaf6890af4cf0f5f6d5974Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 889720-Mens-Minion-Dave-Costume-largeGlasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Kids-tweedle-dee--dum-costumeGlasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 9 Adult-red-crayon-costume

There is no smiley on the forum to express quite how funny I found this post.

Almost certainly Wilson will be breathing a massive sigh of relief he isn't doing a few months in Barlinnie.

Also thanks for the congrats lads xx
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:20 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
IanBru wrote:For the sake of the uninitiated, I have produced this dramatis personae for your assistance:

AKABatmanBane
TBC
TBC

There is no smiley on the forum to express quite how funny I found this post.

Almost certainly Wilson will be breathing a massive sigh of relief he isn't doing a few months in Barlinnie.

Also thanks for the congrats lads xx

and let me add mine as well, many congrats.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:25 pm

Just a thought.

Why is one rugby player punching another off a rugby pitch bringing the SRU/rugby into 'disrepute' whilst punches on the field are just a yellow/red and considered the norm & acceptable? I mean, Callum Clark went and broke someone's arm and is still playing, Dylan Hartley has his 'Suarez' moments/eye gouges... And that's without alcohol.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:27 pm

Btw, could somebody in the know do a quick summary of who Glasgow is trying to sign - had no idea of some of these players.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 11:03 pm

I remember getting into a bit of a scuffle, nothing like this mind, when I was a teenager and only just starting nights out and telling my Mum while slightly inebriated when I got home. When I woke up the next morning she pointed out that having played contact rugby since the age of 9 I'd be able to do someone who hasn't damage if I behaved like a knob but also that there would always be someone much bigger than me. Now unless he was hanging around Josh Strauss the second half doesn't apply to Wilson but nevertheless surely if you're a professional you need to think these things through also I wonder his state of mind if he gets so infuriated by a light hearted jibe that he decided to lash out, either he genuinely believes he is batman, he is short tempered, given I can't remember losing his rag on the pitch this seems unlikely, or he was out looking for a fight.

I suggest a harsh punishment but not a terminal one, remember banning him for the rest of the season effectively ends his World Cup chances. I'm trying to work out similar scenarios and can only think of the cantona kung-fu kick and the Tuilagi-Ashton punch but these happened on the pitch whereas Wilson's was alcohol induced so it depends what's worse really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next