The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wall Of Noise???

+7
chris_501
Scottrf
No9
TightHEAD
Coleman
Biltong
Tiger/Chief
11 posters

Go down

Wall Of Noise??? Empty Wall Of Noise???

Post by Tiger/Chief Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:09 pm

Not Doubting that Wales have the a 5-4 advantage at the Millenium in International Fixtures but are sensible rugby supporters really buying into this wall of noise baloney???

16 March 2013 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 30 – 3 Wales 2013 Six Nations BBC

13 August 2011 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 19 – 9 Wales 2011 Rugby World Cup warm up test BBC

4 February 2011 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 19 – 26 England 2011 Six Nations BBC

14 February 2009 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 23 – 15 Wales 2009 Six Nations BBC

17 March 2007 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 27 – 18 Wales 2007 Six Nations BBC

5 February 2005 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 11 – 9 Wales 2005 Six Nations BBC

23 August 2003 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 9 – 43 England 2003 Rugby World Cup warm up test

22 February 2003 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 9 – 26 England 2003 Six Nations

3 February 2001 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 15 – 44 England 2001 Six Nations

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Wall Of Noise??? Empty Re: Wall Of Noise???

Post by Biltong Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:10 pm

I think the last 3-4 years are more telling than the last 13 years.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:11 pm

Have the fans got louder voices now then?

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:30 pm

The cowboy and daff hats amplify sound. That's science!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:36 pm

Its getting almost as bad as Seattle Seahawks fans banging on about the noise and the 12th man at their stadium. its just hype and imo England have made it worse by training with loud speakers, just get on with it and play rugby.

As for the Welsh fan what's wrong with just enjoying the game and sinking a few pints!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:42 pm

its all the media have been talking about.... probably because the average man on the street still doesn't know enough about the players to actually talk about the game!

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:47 pm

Tiger/Chief wrote:its all the media have been talking about.... probably because the average man on the street still doesn't know enough about the players to actually talk about the game!

Sadly true. At Wales v NZ in November one woman who was sat close to us proclaimed loudly "Why don't they pick Shaaaaane!"

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:50 pm

Anyone see the article in the WalesOnline.. Lancaster has been training to Hymn and Arias.. It means that Max Boyce can charge the RFU royalties.. Brilliant laughing

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-v-england-max-boyce-8587761

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:52 pm

Coleman wrote:
Tiger/Chief wrote:its all the media have been talking about.... probably because the average man on the street still doesn't know enough about the players to actually talk about the game!

Sadly true. At Wales v NZ in November one woman who was sat close to us proclaimed loudly "Why don't they pick Shaaaaane!"

YES and why don't they... Whistle

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Fri 06 Feb 2015, 12:52 pm

Completely true! You will always get fair weather fans for big games wherever you go!

I went to Exeter v Toulon not long ago and I've never been so embarrassed at a game, Exeter are 4 points down camped on the Toulon line and half of the crowd are calling Jonny Wilkinsons name trying to get him to turn round and look at them for a photo!

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 06 Feb 2015, 2:00 pm

Coleman wrote:

That's why I don't go to internationals any more, you pay over the odds for tickets and you are surrounded by people who don't know or understand the game.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 2:12 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
Coleman wrote:

That's why I don't go to internationals any more, you pay over the odds for tickets and you are surrounded by people who don't know or understand the game.

Doh

So you are saying that only "hardened" rugby fans should be allowed to internationals then.. or at least inferring it, as the reason you don't go "anymore"... Get real.. There is nothing wrong at all with those fans who only want to go to the internationals and support their country, whether or not they fully understand the rules of the game and have in-depth knowledge of the players. Its the joining together of a country that makes the 6 Nations the spectacle it is. If you restrict it only to those who have an in depth knowledge of the sport, it wouldn't be a patch on the event it currently is. It is up to "hardened" fans to make those less knowledgeable welcome and then they may grow to love the sport the way we do, and perhaps start following rugby at the lower levels... I agree with the prices being over the top, but as for those attending, as long as they show respect and leave the "football" mentality at home, I personally welcome them. Its the only way the sport will grow...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 06 Feb 2015, 2:24 pm

Fancy dress.
Booing the kicker.
No understanding of the rules.
Fans who are only interested in their next drink.
Big screen saying make some noise or words to hymes!
Loud music when try is scored and Subs celebrating like they have just won the FA cup.

All reasons why I don't go any more, I'd rather go to my local team and watch a real game. Wink
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 06 Feb 2015, 2:45 pm

I understand the frustrations, and i have kindly pointed out things to people before. You typically don't get a kind reply. One of the main thing's that i have heard at the last few Wales games i've attended is someone shouting "kill him/let him die" when there is a big hit or someone is down hurt. I do worry that the spirit of the game has been erroded in the stands. Aside from only selling tickets to active players, club members, fans. This is rugby is Wales now.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 06 Feb 2015, 3:08 pm

Fantastic stadium whatever you make of the home advantage there.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Fri 06 Feb 2015, 3:15 pm

I think it's something all rugby fans should be proud of, especially Welsh. Here in our sport we have a genuine sporting leader in terms of atmosphere during large parts of games. In addition to it all, us fans do it sat together with never an issue.

For 65 minutes of the NZ game in the Autumn, it was a simply brilliant theatre of sport. The crowd make that possible. In 80,000 people anywhere you will always get minorities that many don't agree with, but I say celebrate it, not berate the few.

I am gutted not to be there tonight, it will be electric! I'd rather enjoy that rather than moan about it.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Feb 2015, 3:24 pm

Tiger/Chief wrote:Not Doubting that Wales have the a 5-4 advantage at the Millenium in International Fixtures but are sensible rugby supporters really buying into this wall of noise baloney???

16 March 2013 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 30 – 3 Wales 2013 Six Nations BBC

13 August 2011 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 19 – 9 Wales 2011 Rugby World Cup warm up test BBC

4 February 2011 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 19 – 26 England 2011 Six Nations BBC

14 February 2009 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 23 – 15 Wales 2009 Six Nations BBC

17 March 2007 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 27 – 18 Wales 2007 Six Nations BBC

5 February 2005 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 11 – 9 Wales 2005 Six Nations BBC

23 August 2003 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 9 – 43 England 2003 Rugby World Cup warm up test

22 February 2003 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 9 – 26 England 2003 Six Nations

3 February 2001 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 15 – 44 England 2001 Six Nations

Someone wake me up. I think i'm dreaming.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 06 Feb 2015, 3:29 pm

@Dave, He's only included the winners in the scoreline! That's not Cardiff playing every game.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 06 Feb 2015, 3:31 pm

My wife doesn't know the difference between a prop and a scrum half, knows none of the laws of the game but will attend every match she can, club or country. She just loves the atmosphere, the craic and the fact that 80,000 people can come to one venue, take the p1ss out of each other for hours on end (if you include the travelling) but still buy each other a beer both during and after the match, whatever the score.

At least that is what she tells me, she has started to hint that we should go down to our local club (Millwall) and watch them. I suspect that is more to watch 30 plus relatively fit hunky men (even if their faces look like they had been tackling busses with them) running around for 80 minutes showing off their manly prowess.

She denies it of course, but I am not getting any younger...................................
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 06 Feb 2015, 3:40 pm

Well Stewie's buying in, playing hymns to your boys during training is bonkers frankly but hey ho, surprised he didn't make them train inside a tent too

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 06 Feb 2015, 3:58 pm

Gwlad wrote:Well Stewie's buying in, playing hymns to your boys during training is bonkers frankly but hey ho, surprised he didn't make them train inside a tent too
Actually, I believe training with sound makes sense because it hones concentration on the pitch. Especially as compared to training in a quiet, cavernous empty stadium. And some of those hymns sound to me like 10000 screeching cats, so pourquoi pas?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:03 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Well Stewie's buying in, playing hymns to your boys during training is bonkers frankly but hey ho, surprised he didn't make them train inside a tent too
Actually, I believe training with sound makes sense because it hones concentration on the pitch.  Especially as compared to training in a quiet, cavernous empty stadium.  And some of those hymns sound to me like 10000 screeching cats, so pourquoi pas?

You must be a psychiatrist!

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:17 pm

Scottrf wrote:@Dave, He's only included the winners in the scoreline! That's not Cardiff playing every game.

So Cardiff aren't the 7th nation in a new 7Ns tournament? I was dreaming then. Now there's a disappointment.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:24 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Fancy dress.
Booing the kicker.
No understanding of the rules.
Fans who are only interested in their next drink.
Big screen saying make some noise or words to hymes!
Loud music when try is scored and Subs celebrating like they have just won the FA cup.

All reasons why I don't go any more, I'd rather go to my local team and watch a real game. Wink

Never bothered Dan Parks. Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:36 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Actually, I believe training with sound makes sense because it hones concentration on the pitch.  Especially as compared to training in a quiet, cavernous empty stadium.  And some of those hymns sound to me like 10000 screeching cats, so pourquoi pas?

Replicating the match day conditions and environment is a well known sports psychology strategy to aid those who may suffer from state anxiety; to help train for attentional focus and concentrating on the relevant cues; helps with mental imagery, etc. Anything that means the players are not walking into something new. I've heard of teams practicing in front of cardboard cutouts in the seats to mimic a full stadium!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:38 pm

Griff wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Replicating the match day conditions and environment is a well known sports psychology strategy to aid those who may suffer from state anxiety; to help train for attentional focus and concentrating on the relevant cues; helps with mental imagery, etc.  Anything that means the players are not walking into something new. I've heard of teams practicing in front of cardboard cutouts in the seats to mimic a full stadium!

No that's just the Twickenham crowd. thumbsup

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:38 pm

Tiger/Chief wrote:Not Doubting that Wales have the a 5-4 advantage at the Millenium in International Fixtures but are sensible rugby supporters really buying into this wall of noise baloney???

Well, Sir Clive of Woodward seems to buy into it. His latest interview says he didn't think it made a difference until 2 years ago in Cardiff. He's not one for baloney, is he?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:43 pm

Is Woodward still carping on in the Fail….his articles are hilarious, there's a brief preamble in each one before he gets to the point…When I was Head Coach of a World Cup winning side, I introduced a system where each player's Mr Winklechops had it's own hotel room.

Tw@t.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:52 pm

SCW is just happy to get his name in the paper these days.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 06 Feb 2015, 4:57 pm

Griff wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Replicating the match day conditions and environment is a well known sports psychology strategy to aid those who may suffer from state anxiety; to help train for attentional focus and concentrating on the relevant cues; helps with mental imagery, etc.  Anything that means the players are not walking into something new. I've heard of teams practicing in front of cardboard cutouts in the seats to mimic a full stadium!
I have seen the NY Giants training like that, though not with the cut out seats. They report exactly the benefits you mention. Seems like a logical thing to do.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Fri 06 Feb 2015, 5:07 pm

I hardly think a 55.5% home win ratio against England makes for fortress Millenium!

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Feb 2015, 5:09 pm

Tiger/Chief wrote:I hardly think a 55.5% home win ratio against England makes for fortress Millenium!

No one said it was a fortress. Just that it is noisy. There can be a difference, surely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Feb 2015, 5:12 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

Fair point. Our armed forces do similar and international rugby is a theatre of war, I spose.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 06 Feb 2015, 5:14 pm

Griff wrote:
Tiger/Chief wrote:I hardly think a 55.5% home win ratio against England makes for fortress Millenium!

No one said it was a fortress. Just that it is noisy. There can be a difference, surely.

Often quiet too.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Fri 06 Feb 2015, 7:01 pm

Lee Byrne did.

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down