The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on Gatland and his ideas?

+29
nathan
rumpelstiltskindoh
MissBlennerhassett
LondonTiger
Nachos Jones
GavinDragon
gregortree
Gwlad
Seagultaf
samuraidragon
majesticimperialman
Steve_rugby
glamorganalun
Cardiff Dave
JDizzle
B91212
VinceWLB
Mad for Chelsea
bedfordwelsh
BigTrevsbigmac
Heaf
TheRugbyMaster
chris_501
Pot Hale
Biltong
SecretFly
doctor_grey
lostinwales
The Saint
33 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Opinions on Gatland and his ideas? - Page 3 Empty Opinions on Gatland and his ideas?

Post by The Saint Sat 07 Feb 2015, 12:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Let's try to keep this civil and leave out the ref blaming, we all know who that is aimed at... This thread is set up to question ideas and their implications. It is not intended to criticise anyone but if doing so, please do so constructively and give good evidence.
Gats is a great coach with a great CV, I've always backed him to lead us and I still do. I feel he's got a lot of things right in his coaching career with Wales and the Lions, but also feel he's got a fair few things wrong (only with Wales, not the Lions). I find his post-match comments a bit distasteful;

Sir Warren wrote:Rhys Webb, he's done a box-kick that's gone straight up in the air, that's put us under a huge amount of pressure

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the team playing under his orders to kick? There was too much kicking last night, I'm not sure whether that was the game plan (probably) or the players playing what was in front of them. England just ran it back it us like they did last year. How can professionals be so stupid in not to expect this? Before the tournament kicked off Gatland also gave the impression that we'd be reverting back to old ways for this tournament and then try something new at the RWC, perhaps akin to the variation seen from Wales in the autumn series. I don't see the point of not taking this tournament seriously, especially so close to the world cup where winning it would have been a good platform for greater things.

Going back to the point about Webb, I thought he was alright, one of our better performers (even though not many really performed). I believe the culprits were the out of sorts players that he selected, the ones that many fans agreed should not have been selected in the first place. Saying that, nobody really performed to expectations or executed well. I'm not even sure what we were trying to do at the time if I'm honest. We didn't even grow into the game unlike the opposition, we seemed to drift away from it.

Sir Warren wrote:Even if we'd won today, I don't think you can read too much into it ahead of the World Cup in seven months

Sir Clive said something like this before the game last night. It's totally wrong IMO and a loser statement to make. As I said, winning all your games is the ideal build-up for the world cup. That and these teams are group opponents. If that doesn't make the result greatly important for both teams then I don't know what will. Also, surely a wooden spoon would not be ideal going into a tournament containing better teams than in the 6 Nations?

I expect our coach to now come out and say these players underperformed but will be afforded another chance to impress, as this is what usually happens. If we do beat Scotland then everything will be assumed normal, until the same group executing the same style of play get another absolute thumping from a team playing smart rugby (Ireland). The coach isn't the only one at fault. Our players didn't want to be there it seemed from the body language. Our set-up hinders us, as 4 clubs doesn't produce enough players nor can they keep hold of their best ones, hence a very weak bench and some rusty players being played into key positions. Not selecting Adam Jones was a big call, I believe him and Lee should both be in our 23.

So what do we think about his ideas?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Gatland and his ideas? - Page 3 Empty Re: Opinions on Gatland and his ideas?

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 09 Feb 2015, 11:58 am

Lydiate offers nothing but a tackling game

Agreed but that's the game plan Gatland picks and Lydiate is one of the best around at it, he only missed one tackle on Friday.

If Gatland wants to change plans (which doubt he will) then Warburton and Tipuric are better options but while he sticks by his guns Lydiate plays.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3