The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash

+95
cb
Exiledinborders
Rory_Gallagher
Heaf
The Saint
stub
Cumbrian
broadlandboy
JDizzle
doctor_grey
FecklessRogue
Biltong
Nachos Jones_1
jbeadlesbigrighthand
whocares
profitius
Doddy76
RDSguru
kingelderfield
nathan
HammerofThunor
Mike Selig
TheRugbyMaster
justified sinner
Hood83
Breadvan
Duty281
quinsforever
Imperialbigdave
Hammersmith harrier
Geordie
hugehandoff
Notch
Poorfour
Totalflanker
Nachos Jones
CraigS1874
Captain_Sensible
Chjw131
reallybored
EWT Spoons
Sgt_Pooly
beshocked
dummy_half
bedfordwelsh
sensisball
Gooseberry
tigertattie
sirtidychris
thomh
No 7&1/2
Jimpy
George Carlin
Gwlad
englandglory4ever
cakeordeath
nickj
TrailApe
alive555
bsando
21st Century Schizoid Man
Barney McGrew did it
Anglobraveheart
Heuer27
captain carrantuohil
Scottish White Line Fever
TheMildlyFranticLlama
robbo277
Weegie Wizard
SneakySideStep
LondonTiger
R!skysports
Cyril
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
MacKnocked-on
luvtotup
Nematode
BamBam
Majestic83
cp10
RuggerRadge2611
IrnBroon
glamorganalun
SecretFly
yappysnap
lostinwales
BigGee
RDW
majesticimperialman
TJ
jimbopip
Rugby Fan
GLove39
99 posters

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 2 Empty 6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash

Post by GLove39 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:19 am

First topic message reminder :

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 2 Englan14    6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 2 Scotla13
ENGLAND v SCOTLAND  
Saturday 14 February 2015
KO 17:00 (GMT)
Twickers

Live on BBC1

Referee: Romain Poitey (FFR)
AR1: George Clancy (IRFU)   vomit
AR2: Marius Mitrea (FIR)
TMO: Ben Skeen (NZR)

Teams:

ENGLAND
6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 2 Alasta10
M Brown (Harlequins); A Watson (Bath), J Joseph (Bath), L Burrell (Northampton), J Nowell (Exeter); G Ford (Bath), B Youngs (Leicester); J Marler (Harlequins), D Hartley (Northampton), D Cole (Leicester), D Attwood (Bath), C Lawes (Northampton), J Haskell (Wasps), C Robshaw (Harlequins, capt), B Vunipola (Saracens).

Replacements: T Youngs (Leicester), M Vunipola (Saracens), K Brookes (Newcastle), G Parling (Leicester), T Wood (Northampton), R Wigglesworth (Saracens), D Cipriani (Sale), B Twelvetrees (Gloucester).

SCOTLAND
6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 2 Tucker12
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors); Dougie Fife (Edinburgh), Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh), Tommy Seymour, Finn Russell (both Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (captn) (Gloucester); Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh), Ross Ford (Edinburgh), Euan Murray (Glasgow Warriors), Jim Hamilton (Saracens), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan (London Irish) David Denton (Edinburgh).

Replacements: Fraser Brown, Ryan Grant (both Glasgow Warriors), Geoff Cross (London Irish), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier), Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors), Sam Hidalgo-Clyne and Greig Tonks (both Edinburgh)

The result of the Ireland game beforehand could make things very interesting from an English perspective. Tournament could be blown wide open, & see England looking for a big score with an eye to next weekend & things coming down to points difference.

For us, there's nothing at stake bar pride & some melted Indian Rupees.

Twickenham was always going to be tough, but given how things have gone this tournament I'm absolutely dreading this match.
Our record down South is more embarrassing than Natalie Bennett on LBC! 32 long years since we last won at Twickenham and in the last half century we've managed just one other win in 1971. Stretch things back to the whole century and we can double our total with wins in 1926 & 1938!

Fear we'll see a similar game to England - Italy, valiant start by us & some swashbuckling stuff before ultimately being crushed in the final quarter. Although if we 'defend' the maul like we did against Italy the score will be worse.

On the bright side though, scoring any points would be an improvement on last years Calcutta Cup match... Braveheart

Preconditions people? Am I being too gloomy?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 2 Empty Re: 6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash

Post by R!skysports Tue 10 Mar 2015, 3:39 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:We normally just pee into the empty pint glasses anyway.  cider

Problem solved

You can sell that to the luvvies as babysham

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash - Page 2 Empty Re: 6N Round 4: The Calcutta Cup clash

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Mar 2015, 3:49 am

Riskysports wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:We normally just pee into the empty pint glasses anyway.  cider

Problem solved

You can sell that to the luvvies as babysham

We're rather more discerning than that I think you'll find!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 5:08 am

I'm actually fairly confident about this, Maitland's back and the team should be fairly angry. England aren't half the team they, or the English, think they are (not that we're ones to talk). I'd go for:

1. Dickinson
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Harley
7. Cowan
8. Denton
9. SHC
10. Russell
11. Seymour
12. Dunbar
13. Bennett
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 5:13 am

England got taken apart by a very experienced Ireland side, but I think Scotland have shown a similar level of inexperience to us, especially against Wales.

If we can get Brown and Lawes back into the squad then I'd be very happy ahead of the game.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:03 am

123456789 wrote:I'm actually fairly confident about this

Wish I could drum up your enthusiasm/had a bit of whatever you've been drinking, but I believe we'll go down by at least 30.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:12 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Here's what I reckon he'll pick (assuming on injuries)

1 Dickinson
2 Ford
3 Murray
4 Hamilton (worried he'll pick Swinson instead though, who to me is just too underpowered for England)
5 Gray jnr
6 Harley
7 Cowan
8 Denton

9 Laidlaw (we all know Hidalgo-Clyne is a much better option, but he's going to stick with Laidlaw)
10 Russell
11 Visser (close call with Fife, but I think Visser will edge it)
12 Dunbar
13 Bennett
14 Seymour
15 Hogg

Subs: Grant, Brown, Cross, Swinson, Beattie, H-C, Tonks, Scott

This is assuming Lamont, Horne, Maitland and Ashe are injured. Personally I wouldn't have included them anyway due to form / lack of match fitness.

I would probably pick the same XV as you RDW except I would go with Fife because we're unlikely to have enough front foot ball to be able to go wide, and if that's the case then Visser is fairly redundant. I think we could make better use of the high ball with a committed kick case and clever box kicks (rather than Laidlaw's aimless hoofs) and, for me, the better of Visser and Fife at a kick-chase is Fife. I would be reluctant to have Beattie on the bench - he's been utterly woeful for 3 games and has added nothing to the team, but there aren't many other options to be quite frank so I guess he has to be in.

Realistically, we're going to struggle to even get parity at scrum time and we're likely to lose the breakdown unless we improve massively from the first three games. In addition, we actually have to keep our discipline for a change - 4 yellow cards in 3 games is completely unacceptable. I'll be surprised if we can keep 15 men on the pitch for 80 minutes! England by at least 12-15 I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:19 am

It's a good point on visser - this certainly isn't his kind of game and if we've struggled to use him in the past I can't see things improving when we've got bugger all ball.

Still, an on form visser has created tries out of nothing in the past. He hasn't done that for a while though, and hasn't been on form all season really.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:33 am

So much depends on the Scotland pack. Remembering what England did to an Italian pack that had the better of the argument against Scotland, numbers 1-8 really must front up in all departments.

The game at Twickers a couple of years ago showed what the Scottish backs could do to England granted any sort of ball at all. Because the pack failed to show up at all, those moments were sporadic. I'm expecting better this time. It's probably too much of a stretch to suggest that Scotland might win at Twickenham- I think the side will need a touch more experience to overcome such a ridiculous hoodoo, but they can certainly keep it close. 7-10 points my best guess.

If the forwards don't come to play, though, it will be really ugly and the score could be almost anything.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:37 am

I'd keep Visser as far away from Twickenham as possible at the moment. He has been terrible recently. I'd start with Maitland see how long he lasts and bring on Fife when he runs out of steam/ breaks down again.
Am I alone in thinking Maitland is made of glass. Always seems to be injured/ coming back from injury. He's a winger ffs how hard can it be to keep his hair in place for 80 mins. Technically shouldn't even have to wash his top unless he's had to dive in the corner for a score.

We won't see much ball going on last weeks display but what we do see should be shunted quickly to our backs. They are dangerous and will make this England team nervous when it comes out to them quickly. Oh that means no Laidlaw too.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:45 am

Heuer27 wrote:I'd keep Visser as far away from Twickenham as possible at the moment. He has been terrible recently. I'd start with Maitland see how long he lasts and bring on Fife when he runs out of steam/ breaks down again.
Am I alone in thinking Maitland is made of glass. Always seems to be injured/ coming back from injury. He's a winger ffs how hard can it be to keep his hair in place for 80 mins. Technically shouldn't even have to wash his top unless he's had to dive in the corner for a score.

We won't see much ball going on last weeks display but what we do see should be shunted quickly to our backs. They are dangerous and will make this England team nervous when it comes out to them quickly. Oh that means no Laidlaw too.

I get what you're saying, but by the time Saturday comes around, it will have been 7 weeks since Maitland last played and it's a big game to throw him in! I wouldn't necessarily shunt the ball quickly to the backs, particularly if it's slow ball because we'll just concede territory and probably be turned over. If we can secure quick ball, by clearing the tacklers away quickly and securing the ball, then move it wide quickly because you're right in that we do have dangerous backs. But otherwise, try and be more sensible with our kicking game. We do, at least, have the benefit of a pretty disruptive lineout which we should try to use on Saturday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:56 am

Yes. I was meaning quick ball from breakdown and set piece. If we don't do that we are going to get mullered. We might get some parity in the line out but we missed Ritchie Gray last week. Our best bet will be to move these big English forwards about the park as much as we can to disrupt their inevitable forward dominated gameplan. Play to our strengths with a mobile pack and dangerous backs. To do that we need a scrum half who can get the ball away quickly I.e not Laidlaw and a stand off who can kick astutely, possibly not Russell ATM.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:01 am

I think we need Toolis in lieu of Hamilton. The English players will just wind Hamilton into penalty/yellow/red territory. He can't help himself. No point in having the grunt if it's costing you penalty points and bin time.
SHC needs to start. We need his raw enthusiasm, speed from the breakdown and he'll be a handful. They know exactly what they are getting with GL. SHC's kicking is as good as GL's.
Seymour and Maitland on the wings.
Tonks on the bench with GL and Scott.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:21 am

Agreed re Hamilton. His time has passed now. Cotter wants this team to play with tempo and that cannot happen with Hamilton there. He is too slow for international rugby. I would be tempted to play Dickinson Ford and Murray, Toolis and junior at second row,aCowan and Fraser Brown as Harley has not really performed ,with Denton at 8 for a bit of ballast. A bit contentious in the back row but Brown is a converted flanker,played against bath there and was immense. Harley has been anonymous so far and could start from the bench. It would mean more ball carriers in the forwards and an extra pair of hands in the rucks as Brown can get about the park well. Like I said contentious.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:29 am

I'm not all too sure re Hamilton/Toolis. I just fear Toolis and J Gray might just be a bit too samey - yes they get through a lot of work, but with Harley too I think we can afford a player like Hamilton who maybe focuses on disrupting things and mauling the ball.

I'm not a huge Hamilton fan but when he came on (I think in the French game) he really transformed the maul. Also he does bring experience.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:41 am

We cannot beat England in an arm wrestle but maybe in a race though. Playing Hamilton only sets us up to stop England not to let us play our game.

Fast, and aggressive is how Scottish teams have been successful in the past . It suits our national psych. Temper that with some tactical kicking and we won't be too far away in most games. Especially as we now have some firepower in the backs.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:46 am

Never been a better time to beat England - even our injuries have injuries. Only hope for us if we don't let the ball out of the pack's hands. Or unless we start Cips.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:50 am

I'm not a huge Hamilton fan either, and I would much prefer to build our scrum around the Gray brothers, but Richie is out along with Gilchrist so we have to adapt. Yes, he's liable to give away a penalty or two which is an issue in our already ill-disciplined squad and he's nowhere near being considered an athletic lock. But he brings some solidity to the set piece and he's an extra voice on the pitch in an otherwise fairly leaderless team. I think that the experience he brings could be particularly valuable.

In addition, I would definitely keep Russell in the team. He can be inconsistent with his kicking but he's the best 10 we've had in quite a few years, and it's a clear step down from him to Horne/Tonks. Russell's kicking isn't his forte, but he can release the backs better than Horne/Tonks which would suit a fast and aggressive game plan.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:58 am

A couple of tough calls. Visser vs Fife and Toolis vs Hamilton.

I'd go with Visser and Toolis personally, but I could be persuaded on 60 minutes of nasty Big Jim at Twickenham. He's also been with Sarries this season and you'd hope the old Wolf Pack would have got him fitter.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:01 am

I would keep Russell no doubt. His kicking does worry though.
We do need to find a bonefide leader for the team because at the moment there isn't one and no one has stuck their hand up either. Cowan seems to be vocal on the park as does Hogg. Hogg's temperament rules him out and Cowan's penalty count doesn't endear him to referees.
I think this lack of leaders is a huge part of why the team struggle to put sides away when positioned to do so. Unfortunately I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:06 am

Heuer27 wrote:I would keep Russell no doubt. His kicking does worry though.
We do need to find a bonefide leader for the team because at the moment there isn't one and no one has stuck their hand up either. Cowan seems to be vocal on the park as does Hogg. Hogg's temperament rules him out and Cowan's penalty count doesn't endear him to referees.
I think this lack of leaders is a huge part of why the team struggle to put sides away when positioned to do so.  Unfortunately I don't see it changing anytime soon.

+1 absolutely agree with all of this - we have a chronic lack of leadership at present. I think further down the line (2-3 years or so), we could have a number of possible captains namely Jonny Gray, Finn Russell and a potentially controversial choice, SHC, as I think he's showing some leadership qualities in the Edinburgh squad already, but we certainly have short-term issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:10 am

Yeah well stand by for a total humiliation.  I'm getting the feeling Cotter is a bit of a dobber - especially if he listens to that utter w*nker Johnson.

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:23 am

Schiz say what you mean!

Personally I think Cotter has us moving in the right direction. I get the feeling that he is less than impressed with the team's failure to carry out his game plan due to error's, brainfarts and other associated maladies. Hopefully it will come together given time and everything will be awesome.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:28 am

SWiLF

Hidalgo Clyne is a good shout. He seems like a proper scrum half, an annoying little B. With a good temperament . It will be interesting to see him develop.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:38 am

I think we might see Swinson playing blindside for this game. Otherwise why was he held back and Harley played last weekend. It might be worth a try as Harley has not performed yet and Swinson actually played pretty well against Italy, he was willing to carry the ball to them, something most of the rest of the pack seemed to have forgotten how to do.

The pack needs beefing up or else it could get messy. In the absence of Ashe, I think we will see a pack of

Murray
Brown (Ford probably not fit and he deserves a start anyway)
Dickinson
Gray
Hamilton
Cowan
Denton
Swinson

The backline will probably pick itself now Maitland is fit. I would start SHC, but I don't think he will. If he does then JG gets the armband.

Toolis will bench, Harley may shade it ahead of Watson and if SHC starts, then Laidlaw probably dropped completely and Cus on the bench. Sutherland would be worth a shout as well, but he will probably stick with Grant.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:38 am

Have just seen it is 32 years since Scotland last won at Twickers. That is some hurdle to climb for Scotland. And it would be a big dissapointment for England if they lost this week end.

More than just the 6ns to play for this week. there is pride for England.

I hope i am not dissapointed.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:02 pm

I think scotland might edge this one. They have lost 3 but each game they could have won. If they reduce the mistakes and force England into a tight spot it may well be the upset of tournament. We have Maitland returning and Matt Scott is getting back to form. Russell is back in and I think he can outplay ford.. This will not be a walk over

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 4:11 pm

i think we are all dreaming.

what are england very good at ?
what are scotland very poor at ?

answer - the maul.

what is the referees favourite offence penalised as a yellow card
answer - pulling down the maul

i can easily see 2 yellows , in fact expect it

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:05 pm

BigGee wrote:I think we might see Swinson playing blindside for this game. Otherwise why was he held back and Harley played last weekend. It might be worth a try as Harley has not performed yet and Swinson actually played pretty well against Italy, he was willing to carry the ball to them, something most of the rest of the pack seemed to have forgotten how to do.

The pack needs beefing up or else it could get messy. In the absence of Ashe, I think we will see a pack of

Murray
Dickinson
Gray
Hamilton
Cowan
Denton
Swinson

The backline will probably pick itself now Maitland is fit. I would start SHC, but I don't think he will. If he does then JG gets the armband.

Toolis will bench, Harley may shade it ahead of Watson and if SHC starts, then Laidlaw probably dropped completely and Cus on the bench. Sutherland would be worth a shout as well, but he will probably stick with Grant.
Interesting Gee. I think you're right in that Brown will probably start. This may well see McInally on the bench. I'm not sure about Swinson at 6 though. I think Harley went back to Glasgow to work on his match fitness. I was about to argue that we need Harley as an extra lineout option at the back of the line where he offers more than Swinson despite him being a bona fide second row when suddenly I realised this is Rab C Johnson territory.
If Harley is match fit he starts. If not then play the best 6 available.idea
Although if you listen carefully you will hear, "Hamilton at 4 beefs up the pack, Swinson at 6 extra grunt. We don't need to play above the ground. Toolis at 4, increase the mobility in the pack and put Swinson at 6 for extra grunt. Then we can play above the ground." Doh
My main concern in the pack is at 7. We need someone to get the better of Robshaw: Fozzie has done that a couple of times but I'm not convinced Cowan will. In that respect this game could be a defining moment in terms of our World Cup squad. Anyone found wanting on Saturday should not be considered for the World Cup squad.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:36 pm

Stuart Hogg making headlines (and causing defence coach Matt Taylor to do some damage control):

Full-back Stuart Hogg grabbed a few headlines yesterday morning when he was reported as saying that the Scottish team are not taken seriously south of the border.

“The English are a fantastic team but they’re pretty much all about themselves at times,” said Hogg. “They don’t really respect us and we find that pretty frustrating. There will be a certain number of people that do respect us but, no matter how good our performance is, on the whole they don’t.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:43 pm

Well he had better do something to make us respect him then.

(And I think he will, just that it won't be enough by a large margin)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:50 pm

alive555 wrote:i think we are all dreaming.

what are england very good at ?
what are scotland very poor at ?

answer - the maul.

what is the referees favourite offence penalised as a yellow card
answer - pulling down the maul

i can easily see 2 yellows , in fact expect it

I agree this is a major worry, as you say yellows are a distinct possibility. It poses real selection dilemmas, Cotter wants the team to play a certain way but to counter the English maul (and everybody elses for that matter) he will probably have to pick Hamilton (and probably consider Strokers as well?), these players don't really fit in to the style of play he wants but until the Grays, Toolis etc can develop the counter maul part of their play then Cotter has little choice.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:18 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Stuart Hogg making headlines (and causing defence coach Matt Taylor to do some damage control):

Full-back Stuart Hogg grabbed a few headlines yesterday morning when he was reported as saying that the Scottish team are not taken seriously south of the border.

“The English are a fantastic team but they’re pretty much all about themselves at times,” said Hogg. “They don’t really respect us and we find that pretty frustrating. There will be a certain number of people that do respect us but, no matter how good our performance is, on the whole they don’t.”

The more I hear Stuart Hogg speak the more I say slap that captain's armband on the young man. About time we stirred things up a bit, and at least he (if not the team) has the performance levels to back it up.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:26 pm

I'm resigned to us being on the end of a good old fashioned horsing here.

If we had a full strength pack (including certain people not currently in the squad) we may hold our own up front which would allow our backs to cause problems but we are up against a team who have all the strengths Italy have but to a much greater extent.

I personally would go with Hamilton and a back row of Harley, Cowan & Denton and I think that is what Vern will do as well.

Vern's problem for the next few years will be that when players are not performing there are very few options to replace them. We all see that Harley is not his usual self this year as he was probably rushed back from injury. Although to have not selected Brown is verging on criminal.

I think it will probably be within 10 points or so up until the last quarter then they will run away with it.

I also love the idea of Hogg as captain but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:30 pm

Before Italy there was a lot of optimism north of the wall

Bloody Londoners and their ‘challenged’ geographical view of these Isles.

Unless you were talking about the Antonine Wall?

If so many apologies.

Prediction for the game - very tight until the back end then a couple of tries will make it look respectable.

Not saying for who though.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:47 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Stuart Hogg making headlines (and causing defence coach Matt Taylor to do some damage control):

I'd say he's pretty accurate with that tbh, nice to hear an interesting sound bite rather then just the usual pr rubbish.

Expect Stewie and Robshaw to react by cuddling him to death (metaphorically).

England need to be fired up for this game, we're at our best when there's a bit of anger and edge in the team, just look at the opening game. Against Ireland we were far too cuddly, all humble and respectful, when we needed to go batshit crazy it turns out.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:05 pm

BigGee wrote:I think we might see Swinson playing blindside for this game. Otherwise why was he held back and Harley played last weekend. It might be worth a try as Harley has not performed yet and Swinson actually played pretty well against Italy, he was willing to carry the ball to them, something most of the rest of the pack seemed to have forgotten how to do.

Murray
Dickinson
Gray
Hamilton
Cowan
Denton
Swinson

I wondered whether we might see Swinson at 6 too. If not, I assume he'll bench with Hamilton starting.

I predict the following:

1. Dickinson
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. J Gray
5. Hamilton
6. Harley
7. Cowan
8. Denton

9. Laidlaw
10. Russell
11. Seymour
12. Dunbar
13. Bennett
14. Fife
15. Hogg

16. Brown
17. Grant
18. Cross
19. Swinson
20. Beattie
21. SHC
22. Scott
23. Maitland

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:07 pm

Burrell will be fit for Scotland:

England will be without Brad Barritt, Tom Croft and Henry Thomas for the rest of the Six Nations but Luther Burrell looks set to be fit in time for Saturday's Calcutta Cup clash against Scotland.
Barritt, Croft and Thomas all picked up injuries in what was a bruising weekend for England. Barritt picked up a "high ankle sprain" and will miss England's last two games against Scotland and France.
The news will come as a blow for both Barritt and England as reports at the weekend suggested he was going to be in the selection mix for Saturday's match. With Barritt out, Henry Slade comes into the squad.
The news is better for Burrell, though, and he will take part in training on Tuesday after recovering from his calf strain. Fullback Mike Brown is also fully fit after completing the return-to-play protocols after his knock to the head against Italy.
In the forwards, tight-head Thomas did his AC joint against Sale and will miss the rest of the championship but England have Kieran Brookes available after he missed their trip to Ireland through injury.
For Croft, he dislocated his shoulder against Newcastle while on Leicester duty. He was on the bench for England's three Six Nations matches to date but his misfortune gives the fit again Tom Wood the chance to play a part in Saturday's game.
Stuart Lancaster watched Wood play Gloucester last weekend and also kept an eye on Courtney Lawes and he could yet come into the squad for the Scotland game.
"I was pleased with them [Wood and Lawes against Gloucester]," Lancaster said. "It was good for them to get another game under their belts. Courtney had played the week before, so obviously I'm delighted for him that he's got through that and another good game.
"Tom came through the full 80 as well, so pleased for him. They're very much in the selection mix for this weekend."
Sam Burgess will link up again with England this week with Lancaster's using the absence of a match for his club side Bath next weekend as a chance to give the cross-code convert another taste of the international camp.
Bath team-mate Rob Webber joins him as cover for Tom Youngs who will sit out training on Tuesday as he played on the Sunday at Newcastle.
England training squad:
Forwards: Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby), Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons), Calum Clark (Northampton Saints), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Alex Corbisiero (Northampton Saints), Nick Easter (Harlequins), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), George Kruis (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers), Chris Robshaw (captain, Harlequins), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Rob Webber (Bath Rugby), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Sam Burgess (Bath Rugby), Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints), Danny Care (Harlequins), Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks), Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Alex Goode (Saracens), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Stephen Myler (Northampton Saints), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:08 pm

Burgess is with the squad again too

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:16 pm

yappysnap wrote:Burgess is with the squad again too

Yes but is still a long long way from starting

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:45 pm

yappysnap wrote:Burrell will be fit for Scotland

Have we poached him as well? Yahoo

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:50 pm

yappysnap wrote:

I'd say he's pretty accurate with that tbh, nice to hear an interesting sound bite rather then just the usual pr rubbish.

Expect Stewie and Robshaw to react by cuddling him to death (metaphorically).

England need to be fired up for this game, we're at our best when there's a bit of anger and edge in the team, just look at the opening game. Against Ireland we were far too cuddly, all humble and respectful, when we needed to go batshit crazy it turns out.

Absolutely concur with this. All this playing things down, yapping on about honesty and respect, I love the fact that Hogg just speaks his mind. We need some stark honesty in the Scotland team, some confidence and a bit of niggle. Hogg has all these things as well as being the first name on the team sheet. I honestly don't care whether he ruffles feathers within the squad as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:07 pm

Just saw a quote from Lancaster in response to Hogg's words

(There is more but...)

“Having represented Scotland, I have plenty of respect for the players and what they have achieved. I can’t control what other people say but we have a healthy regard for their team, their players and their coaching team.”

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:09 pm

lostinwales wrote:Just saw a quote from Lancaster in response to Hogg's words

(There is more but...)

“Having represented Scotland, I have plenty of respect for the players and what they have achieved. I can’t control what other people say but we have a healthy regard for their team, their players and their coaching team.”

Would he care to elaborate??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:10 pm

Lancaster represented Scotland? Headscratch

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:14 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Lancaster represented Scotland? Headscratch

U21s I think when at University

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:14 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Lancaster represented Scotland? Headscratch

Curling?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:16 pm

How does Stuart Hogg know what other people think. Looks like he is trying to cover up his own insecurities with a show of bravado.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:17 pm

The Lancaster quote is from the Grauniad. According to that he represented Scotland at U19

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:18 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

How does Stuart Hogg know what other people think.  Looks like he is trying to cover up his own insecurities with a show of bravado.

....or wind up people like you!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:20 pm

How is an opinion that you are not really respected a show of 'bravado', Tiger?

I'd say it's a show of what he said it was - frustration.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next