The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread

+26
MacKnocked-on
Majestic83
IanBru
Heaf
George Carlin
A Simply Mesmeric Try
PenfroPete
GLove39
Radox For Men
SecretFly
cakeordeath
InjuredYetAgain
VinceWLB
BigGee
cp10
Margin_Walker
bedfordwelsh
TJ
Nematode
Ozzy3213
justified sinner
Imperialbigdave
SirBurger
RDW
funnyExiledScot
Scottish White Line Fever
30 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 4 Empty London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Mon 30 Mar 2015, 5:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 4 Irish10         London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 4 Edinbu10
London Irish v Edinburgh

European Challenge Cup, Quarter Final

Madejski Stadium, Reading
Sunday 5th April 2015
KO: 17:45

Live on BT Sport 1

Referee Pascal Gauzere (France)
Touch Judge 1 Laurent Cardona (France)
Touch Judge 2 Tual Trainini (France)
Fourth Official Eric Gonthier (France)
TMO Eric Gonthier (France)

Citing Commissioner Eddie Walsh (Ireland)

Teams:

London Irish
15 Andrew Fenby
14 Topsy Ojo
13 Eoin Griffin
12 Eamonn Sheridan
11 Alex Lewington
10 Shane Geraghty
9 Scott Steele

1 Tom Court
2 David Paice
3 Halani Aulika
4 George Skivington (capt)
5 Nic Rouse
6 Conor Gilsenan
7 Blair Cowan
8 Tom Guest

16 Jimmy Stevens
17 Matt Parr
18 Leo Halavatau
19 Jebb Sinclair
20 Luke Narraway
21 Darren Allinson
22 Chris Noakes
23 Tom Fowlie

Edinburgh
15 Jack Cuthbert
14 Dougie Fife
13 Phil Burleigh
12 Andries Strauss
11 Tim Visser
10 Greig Tonks
9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford (capt)
3 WP Nel
4 Anton Bresler
5 Ben Toolis
6 Roddy Grant
7 Hamish Watson
8 David Denton

16 Stuart McInally
17 Rory Sutherland
18 John Andress
19 Fraser McKenzie
20 Tomas Leonardi
21 Nathan Fowles
22 Tom Heathcote
23 Sam Beard

Form (last six matches):

London Irish 22-21 Newcastle
Harlequins 26-20 London Irish
London Welsh 12-50 London Irish
London Irish 6-12 Leicester
Northampton 15-9 London Irish
London Irish 13-31 Newcastle (LV)

Edinburgh 26-15 Scarlets
Treviso 8-29 Edinburgh
Cardiff 21-15 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 17-20 Ulster
Edinburgh 24-16 Ospreys
Edinburgh 38-20 Bordeaux-Begles

I expect Dickinson and Ford may return this weekend, along with Fife and Scott depending on their fitness. Edinburgh are coming off the back of a very good win against Scarlets. An interesting sub-plot for the weekend could be SHC v Scott Steele at 9. I'm told Scott Steele kept SHC out of the 9 shirt at school and Scotland age group level, which lead to SHC playing at 15, but undeniably SHC is now the form 9 available to Scotland and is having an outstanding season. I've not seen as much of Scott Steele, but from what I saw of the highlights at the weekend, he looks slightly shorter and stockier and will, no doubt, be looking to push his name into the Scotland reckoning.

Scottish White Line Fever

Back to top Go down

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread

Post by RDW Sun 05 Apr 2015, 9:29 pm

Disgruntled LI fan on Twitter

only because a mega bad tmo review Neil we could all see it was a try for London Irish at the end . Ref was a disgrace

So apparently everyone could see it, just not any of the TV angles available! Don't quite see how it was a bad decision if there was no footage.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread

Post by BigGee Sun 05 Apr 2015, 9:35 pm

You can usually tell by the look of the body language of the team whether they think they have scored or not. The London Irish team, judging by the way they trudged back did not believe it, even the celebration of those close to the ball was very half hearted.

Clearly not a try!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 05 Apr 2015, 9:58 pm

Probably worth saying as well that I thought Scott Steele played very well and is clearly someone who should be on the national selectors radar. He went to LI as their third choice SH this season and has made the starting slot his own. watching him play today you can see why!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 05 Apr 2015, 10:01 pm

Bring him to Edinburgh and let him and Sammy fight it out??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 05 Apr 2015, 10:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Bring him to Edinburgh and let him and Sammy fight it out??

That would be a good shout, Edinburgh still seem short of a SH and I think LI are importing a southern hemisphere one for next year. He looks a decent player who has done it the hard way, on the road!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 05 Apr 2015, 10:17 pm

Also nobody mentioned it but how anonymous Cowan was, Watson thoroughly outplayed him. Cotter should be tied down and watch this game over and over again!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 05 Apr 2015, 10:24 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Disgruntled LI fan on Twitter

only because a mega bad tmo review Neil we could all see it was a try for London Irish at the end . Ref was a disgrace

So apparently everyone could see it, just not any of the TV angles available! Don't quite see how it was a bad decision if there was no footage.

From where I was sat in the ground it looked a try, but on the replays there was no way it could be given as there was no clear angle. As soon as the question from the ref was 'try yes or no' it was game over.

Tough defeat to take as I felt like we did enough to win it, but I said during the game that we couldn't leave 8 points off the tee out there and expect to win, and do it transpired.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 05 Apr 2015, 10:33 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Also nobody mentioned it but how anonymous Cowan was, Watson thoroughly outplayed him. Cotter should be tied down and watch this game over and over again!

I think anonymous is a bit strong, but Watson certainly had a very good game and probably shaded the contest. He has a massive work rate and looks particularly dynamic going forward, a real old fashioned open side, a great link player who makes a lot more yards than he should. He is putting in a very good case for inclusion in the WC squad, I am sure the VC will have noticed.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sun 05 Apr 2015, 11:08 pm

Great win for edinburgh today. Not the best performance but managing to grind out a win like that is a vast improvement on the last couple seasons!
Thought Ali Dickinson was excellent destroying the tighthead in the scrum. Hamish watson looked far better than Cowan and completely outplayed him. Denton had another good game and seems to be maturing well and turning into a good leader.
SHC is getting better and better, another great performance.
Fraser McKenzie made a big impact when he came on, disrupted the LI maul well and got through a ton of work. Very underrated.
Looking forward to the semi final in a fortnight, definitely making the journey down from Aberdeen!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 06 Apr 2015, 8:31 am

BigGee wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Also nobody mentioned it but how anonymous Cowan was, Watson thoroughly outplayed him. Cotter should be tied down and watch this game over and over again!

I think anonymous is a bit strong, but Watson certainly had a very good game and probably shaded the contest. He has a massive work rate and looks particularly dynamic going forward, a real old fashioned open side, a great link player who makes a lot more yards than he should. He is putting in a very good case for inclusion in the WC squad, I am sure the VC will have noticed.

A quick glance at the stats (espn)

Watson - 8 carries for 43 m 3 defenders beaten 1 clean break 2 turnovers given away, 14 tackles non missed - a pretty good day at the office
Cowan 8 carries for 18 m, no breaks, 2 turnovers conceeded, 8 tackles 1 missed 3 lineout catches

Have a bit of sympathy for cotter here - Watson seems to have appeared from almost no where this season and I doubt cotter would have known much about him when selecting Cowan. Watson certainly has looked very good this last few months. I hope he is in the squad. We need someone with such a scottish name in the side!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:57 am

Watson did play very well yesterday (apart from him and somebody else messing up the exit strategy near the end which could have been a disaster), and as people have pointed out, he has a lot of go forward for not the biggest of guys. He is improving all the time and deserves to be in the mix for the WC squad but Cowan can't be discarded on the strength of this one game, he has played pretty well for Scotland so far, unlike a number of more lauded players.
For me the most interesting thing was the form of Scott Steele, he gave as good as he got in the match up with SHC and certainly deserves to be included in the upcoming training camps, they are both very good young players.
Oh, and even with the departure of Visser, Edinburgh really need to sign some good wingers as I'm not sure Fife is developing as hoped.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:23 am

On the wing front, Will Helu scored two tries against Toulon yesterday!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:27 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:On the wing front, Will Helu scored two tries against Toulon yesterday!

I'd forgotten that Helu had signed already, one or two more needed though I would say.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:40 am

Damien Hoyland has also been thoroughly impressive on the 7s circuit.

He made the dream team at one of the legs!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:44 am

MacKnocked-on wrote:Watson did play very well yesterday (apart from him and somebody else messing up the exit strategy near the end which could have been a disaster), and as people have pointed out, he has a lot of go forward for not the biggest of guys. He is improving all the time and deserves to be in the mix for the WC squad but Cowan can't be discarded on the strength of this one game, he has played pretty well for Scotland so far, unlike a number of more lauded players.
For me the most interesting thing was the form of Scott Steele, he gave as good as he got in the match up with SHC and certainly deserves to be included in the upcoming training camps, they are both very good young players.
Oh, and even with the departure of Visser, Edinburgh really need to sign some good wingers as I'm not sure Fife is developing as hoped.      

I have been a fan of Cowan since his days at Cornish Pirates but during the 6 nations especially the last couple games I thought he was very poor and off the pace. The game against Ireland was one of the poorest performances I have seen from an openside in quite a while. From the head to head yesterday and recent form I think Watson deserves a shot ahead of Cowan and is possibly more the style of openside that would be suited to Scotland. I would still have Cowan in the mix but not screwed on for starting now.
On the Watson front though that is now Cowan and Barclay he has gotten the better off in recent weeks. To think he only got his contract at Edinburgh because the academy player in front of him got a bad injury!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:46 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Damien Hoyland has also been thoroughly impressive on the 7s circuit.

He made the dream team at one of the legs!

Yep Hoyland has looked very impressive on the 7s circuit. Pretty rapid and also has good strength as well. Farndale apparently played well in the HK10s last weekend to and was getting back to his old u20s form showing good speed.
Chuck in Tom Brown who I think is better suited to wing than full back and we have a pretty good selection of wingers for next season.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Mon 06 Apr 2015, 12:02 pm

I thought Cowan had a very good 6 Nations for Scotland. However, his form at Irish has really dropped in recent times.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 06 Apr 2015, 12:26 pm

I think maybe he's just knackered ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 06 Apr 2015, 12:39 pm

Ozzy whining on twitter again, oh dear. WELL DONE Edinburgh, see you guys in the semi's Wink.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 06 Apr 2015, 1:00 pm

Having watched the recording I don't think the TMO could have given it as I agree there didn't seem to be a clear view of the grounding (there was one shot of something roundish hitting the ground but that could have been someone's arse) ... having said that in real-time at the ground it looked like a try but it's one of those really frustrating things that often happens in rugby - personally I'd like to see the laws changed so an inconclusive review doesn't end the match and it should go back for a 5 metre scrum. The ref was poor though (not just at the end) .... 5 penalties/penalty advantages given away by Edinburgh in the last 5 minutes, 3 of which were close to their line and only 1 yellow seems too lenient - but I'm biased of course.

Anyway good luck for the next round.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 06 Apr 2015, 8:16 pm

Top man, Heaf. Nice one clap

Now you mention it, there was one replay which showed something large and white hitting the ground but it didn't look rugby ball shaped. The fact neither the ref nor TMO seemed overly interested in it would indicate they are either blind or didn't think it was significant

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:20 pm

The Saint wrote:

Ozzy whining on twitter again, oh dear. WELL DONE Edinburgh, see you guys in the semi's Wink.

God you're boring Sain't. I made my view of the TMO incident clear a fair few posts back. And the irony of you posting about somebody whining is not lost on anyone. Thanks for your input as ever.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:36 pm

Heaf wrote:Having watched the recording I don't think the TMO could have given it as I agree there didn't seem to be a clear view of the grounding (there was one shot of something roundish hitting the ground but that could have been someone's arse) ... having said that in real-time at the ground it looked like a try but it's one of those really frustrating things that often happens in rugby - personally I'd like to see the laws changed so an inconclusive review doesn't end the match and it should go back for a 5 metre scrum. The ref was poor though (not just at the end) .... 5 penalties/penalty advantages given away by Edinburgh in the last 5 minutes, 3 of which were close to their line and only 1 yellow seems too lenient - but I'm biased of course.

Could easily have been yellows against Irish as well - so he at least was consistent. Repeated ruck infringements, high tackles and so on. The key thing is was he consistent - I think so. I was screaming fore yellow cards against Irish! :-)

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:37 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
The Saint wrote:

God you're boring Sain't. I made my view of the TMO incident clear a fair few posts back. And the irony of you posting about somebody whining is not lost on anyone. Thanks for your input as ever.

Don't engage with him then. I don't

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm

TJ wrote:
Ozzy3213 wrote:
The Saint wrote:

God you're boring Sain't.  I made my view of the TMO incident  clear a fair few posts back.  And the irony of you posting about somebody  whining is not lost on anyone.  Thanks for your input as ever.

Don't engage with him then.  I don't

Stop being a troll.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:48 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
The Saint wrote:

God you're boring Sain't.  I made my view of the TMO incident  clear a fair few posts back.  And the irony of you posting about somebody  whining is not lost on anyone.  Thanks for your input as ever.

Oh the irony! laughing

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 9:54 pm

I forgot it was the school holidays. picard
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:01 pm

I'm glad I don't have kids.

*That I know of.

Last edited by The Saint on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : That I know of.)

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:08 pm

Is Sheridan confirmed to be heading to France? I think him and Griffin could make a really good midfield partnership if it was given time.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:20 pm

The Saint wrote:I'm glad I don't have kids.

As are we Saint, as are we.

Leinster4life he's confirmed to Oyannax.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 06 Apr 2015, 10:55 pm

TJ wrote:
Heaf wrote:Having watched the recording I don't think the TMO could have given it as I agree there didn't seem to be a clear view of the grounding (there was one shot of something roundish hitting the ground but that could have been someone's arse) ... having said that in real-time at the ground it looked like a try but it's one of those really frustrating things that often happens in rugby - personally I'd like to see the laws changed so an inconclusive review doesn't end the match and it should go back for a 5 metre scrum.   The ref was poor though (not just at the end) .... 5 penalties/penalty advantages given away by Edinburgh in the last 5 minutes, 3 of which were close to their line and only 1 yellow seems too lenient - but I'm biased of course.

Could easily have been yellows against Irish as well - so he at least was consistent.  Repeated ruck infringements, high tackles and so on.  The key thing is was he consistent - I think so.  I was screaming fore yellow cards against Irish!  :-)

Yep he was consistently poor Smile

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 06 Apr 2015, 11:21 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
The Saint wrote:I'm glad I don't have kids.

As are we Saint,  as are we.

Leinster4life he's confirmed to Oyannax.

Another boring comment.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:35 am

Well Edinburgh made hard work of that towards the end.

Stand outs for us were SHC, Dickinson and Watson. All had very good games. Denton looked dangerous too and swept up a lot of bad ball.

Finally WP Nel was tremendous. Took his try well and our front row looked to be a real handful.

A very good forwards performance.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:51 am

I thought Nel and Watson were superb - they would be my standout players. Can't wait for Nel to qualify for Scotland.

Watson has come from nowhere this season to making a compelling argument to be included in the Scotland WC squad, which is no mean feat considering that at the start of the season most commentators would have had him behind Cowan, Barclay, Fusaro and probably Ross Rennie as well. In fact plenty Edinburgh fans would have had him beind Roddy Grant. No I think he has a good case for the starting XV, albeit I don't see Cotter dropping Cowan.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:14 am

Just watched the game and got to say I think Edinburgh deaeves the win.

Irish can't allow themselves to get 16 points behind and then start playing. They remind me so much of Quins, poor discipline and thinking under pressure just meant you could get a foot hold on the game until it was almost too late. Couple that with just trying to au one way which wasn't working and I can see both of us scrapping with Wuss/Bristol next season for those bottom spots. Sad times

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:36 am

yappysnap wrote:Just watched the game and got to say I think Edinburgh deaeves the win.

Irish can't allow themselves to get 16 points behind and then start playing. They remind me so much of Quins, poor discipline and thinking under pressure just meant you could get a foot hold on the game until it was almost too late. Couple that with just trying to au one way which wasn't working and I can see both of us scrapping with Wuss/Bristol next season for those bottom spots. Sad times

What about Newcastle?

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 07 Apr 2015, 11:03 am

I don't think Quins will be scrapping around the bottom next season. More likely midtable.

I think the team coming up will once again go down. The gulf appears to be widening, and to "do an Exeter" requires a truly exceptional squad ethos, group of players and coaching team, which is what Exeter had.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4