The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread

+26
MacKnocked-on
Majestic83
IanBru
Heaf
George Carlin
A Simply Mesmeric Try
PenfroPete
GLove39
Radox For Men
SecretFly
cakeordeath
InjuredYetAgain
VinceWLB
BigGee
cp10
Margin_Walker
bedfordwelsh
TJ
Nematode
Ozzy3213
justified sinner
Imperialbigdave
SirBurger
RDW
funnyExiledScot
Scottish White Line Fever
30 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 2 Empty London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 2 Irish10         London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 2 Edinbu10
London Irish v Edinburgh

European Challenge Cup, Quarter Final

Madejski Stadium, Reading
Sunday 5th April 2015
KO: 17:45

Live on BT Sport 1

Referee Pascal Gauzere (France)
Touch Judge 1 Laurent Cardona (France)
Touch Judge 2 Tual Trainini (France)
Fourth Official Eric Gonthier (France)
TMO Eric Gonthier (France)

Citing Commissioner Eddie Walsh (Ireland)

Teams:

London Irish
15 Andrew Fenby
14 Topsy Ojo
13 Eoin Griffin
12 Eamonn Sheridan
11 Alex Lewington
10 Shane Geraghty
9 Scott Steele

1 Tom Court
2 David Paice
3 Halani Aulika
4 George Skivington (capt)
5 Nic Rouse
6 Conor Gilsenan
7 Blair Cowan
8 Tom Guest

16 Jimmy Stevens
17 Matt Parr
18 Leo Halavatau
19 Jebb Sinclair
20 Luke Narraway
21 Darren Allinson
22 Chris Noakes
23 Tom Fowlie

Edinburgh
15 Jack Cuthbert
14 Dougie Fife
13 Phil Burleigh
12 Andries Strauss
11 Tim Visser
10 Greig Tonks
9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford (capt)
3 WP Nel
4 Anton Bresler
5 Ben Toolis
6 Roddy Grant
7 Hamish Watson
8 David Denton

16 Stuart McInally
17 Rory Sutherland
18 John Andress
19 Fraser McKenzie
20 Tomas Leonardi
21 Nathan Fowles
22 Tom Heathcote
23 Sam Beard

Form (last six matches):

London Irish 22-21 Newcastle
Harlequins 26-20 London Irish
London Welsh 12-50 London Irish
London Irish 6-12 Leicester
Northampton 15-9 London Irish
London Irish 13-31 Newcastle (LV)

Edinburgh 26-15 Scarlets
Treviso 8-29 Edinburgh
Cardiff 21-15 Edinburgh
Edinburgh 17-20 Ulster
Edinburgh 24-16 Ospreys
Edinburgh 38-20 Bordeaux-Begles

I expect Dickinson and Ford may return this weekend, along with Fife and Scott depending on their fitness. Edinburgh are coming off the back of a very good win against Scarlets. An interesting sub-plot for the weekend could be SHC v Scott Steele at 9. I'm told Scott Steele kept SHC out of the 9 shirt at school and Scotland age group level, which lead to SHC playing at 15, but undeniably SHC is now the form 9 available to Scotland and is having an outstanding season. I've not seen as much of Scott Steele, but from what I saw of the highlights at the weekend, he looks slightly shorter and stockier and will, no doubt, be looking to push his name into the Scotland reckoning.

Back to top Go down

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:32 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:You mentioned it on the other thread, but worth mentioning Cusack in this thread as well. He'd be a complete wrecking ball against the Japanese front row.

Mike Cussack did really well against Leinster, I was genuinely worried when he came on after 10 mins, he never used to play for 70 even in his pomp. He made a very good contribution, not just in the scrum either, putting in an impressive amount of tackling. He is playing for his professional career now and looks hungry.

If he can show us that he can string a couple of games together without getting injured and I am not counting eating an amateur Currie prop for breakfast, them he may still get into the mix. That would definitely be to Glasgow and Scotland's benefit.

Unfortunately I have never really been convinced by GC at international level. Doubts that it seems are shared by the LI coaches!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: London Irish v Edinburgh, 5th April 2015 Match Thread

Post by RDW Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:44 pm

To be their this is based on his previous reputation - he's not the prop he used to be...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:50 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:To be their this is based on his previous reputation - he's not the prop he used to be...

Cross or Cussack, or both?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Cussak mainly

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 pm

BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:You mentioned it on the other thread, but worth mentioning Cusack in this thread as well. He'd be a complete wrecking ball against the Japanese front row.

Mike Cussack did really well against Leinster, I was genuinely worried when he came on after 10 mins, he never used to play for 70 even in his pomp. He made a very good contribution, not just in the scrum either, putting in an impressive amount of tackling. He is playing for his professional career now and looks hungry.

If he can show us that he can string a couple of games together without getting injured and I am not counting eating an amateur Currie prop for breakfast, them he may still get into the mix. That would definitely be to Glasgow and Scotland's benefit.

Unfortunately I have never really been convinced by GC at international level. Doubts that it seems are shared by the LI coaches!

Actually Cusack before his shoulder injury in late 2012 had to play for 80 min in almost every game because of an injury crisis at tighthead, he was literally played into the ground and Glasgow paid an heavy price for it.

I watched the Leinster game back and he was ok but not great, there was at least a couple of occasions where he clearly pulled the scrum down under pressure but generally did ok. Him staying fit and getting gametime is the key for him and he should only get better from here.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Two questions for the Irish fans.
Why is Luke Narraway only on the bench? I thought he is (used to be?) a great player, and
what form is Geraghty in? He is the type of player I love watching but, from my admittedly limited knowledge of English rugby, he blows hot and cold in extremes. I would worry if he is on a hot streak.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Narraway is competing with Guest for the 8 jersey, and since the turn off the year Guest has hit form afterva slow start with us. Geraghty is an enigma. He's had some terrific games for usnthis year, but has also chucked in the odd stinker, just hope he has a good day on Sunday.

With 2 exceptions this is probably our best starting XV. If they were fit, Treviranus and Mulchrone would be in. They will be big misses. Trev is our main ball carrier, and Mulchrone leads the defence. I'd certainly be more confident were they playing.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:05 am

Game Day. Nervous as hell!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:36 am

Worrying headline in the Scotsman this morning, but unfortunately the link doesn't work when you try to read the story

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/edinburgh-players-revolt-over-unfair-sacking-1-3738787

Revolves around the sacking of one of the support staff apparently. maybe it was a bit of an overreaction and Edinburgh asked them to take it down?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:44 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Worrying headline in the Scotsman this morning, but unfortunately the link doesn't work when you try to read the story

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/edinburgh-players-revolt-over-unfair-sacking-1-3738787

Revolves around the sacking of one of the support staff apparently. maybe it was a bit of an overreaction and Edinburgh asked them to take it down?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/edinburgh-players-revolt-over-unfair-sacking-1-3738787

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:47 am

That really is a worrying article.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:59 am

This is the last thing we need just as we seem to be getting things right on the pitch - sounds like a shambles!

Players need to concentrate on rugby and rugby alone - if there's behind the scenes problems that could have an effect.

Also worrying to hear how the SRU is run.

Edinburgh Rugby’s players are in open revolt against their managing director, David Davies, after he sacked the long-serving team manager. Lynsey Dingwall was a popular and efficient member of the backroom staff at Edinburgh Rugby yet she was given an hour to clear her desk after working at the club for 14 years.

The players sent an email to the board and the council of the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) which Scotland on Sunday has seen. In the missive, sent on 23 March, the players offer their full support to Dingwall.

“We feel the dismissal of Lynsey Dingwall was unfair and unjustified,” the e-mail reads. “Lynsey was part of Edinburgh Rugby for 14 years. Over that period she worked tirelessly with and for the players and was hugely respected within the organisation. Numerous past coaches and players have commented that she was the best team manager that they have ever worked with. We feel she has been the victim of a personal attack.”

The email goes on to state that the players’ views were not sought at the time the decision was made and furthermore that Davies had refused to meet his own players since showing Dingwall the door. In a damning attack on their own managing director, the players state: “We feel he doesn’t have Edinburgh’s best interests at heart and the players don’t trust him.”

Scotland on Sunday offered Davies the right of reply but an SRU spokesman declined on his behalf and instead offered this statement: “Edinburgh Rugby has been restructuring its back-office functions over recent months and as a result two members of staff have left the business. Edinburgh Rugby thanks them for their contribution to the team’s progress and wishes them well in the future. Everyone connected with Edinburgh Rugby is committed to developing a winning culture on, and off, the pitch and taking the club forward.”

According to one source, on the very same day that the players sent the email to the board and council, they were called into a meeting by SRU boss Mark Dodson, who laid down the law about who ran Scottish Rugby.

The players’ email also mentioned a previous missive from former club physio Dan Moore, who has since returned to his native New Zealand of his own volition. On his final day of work, Moore had also sent a scathing email to the board and council, branding Dingwall’s dismissal “a disgrace” and pointing out that since Davies, pictured, had adopted some of the roles previously filled by the manager there had been a comical waste of money. Davies had booked a bus for Murrayfield when the players had arranged to meet at the airport and on another occasion he booked umpteen bags into the aircraft hold when a man was already driving gear to the away game. In the final paragraph Moore comes to the same damning conclusion regarding Edinburgh’s managing director.

“There is a lack of trust in David Davies amongst staff and players, and people are afraid to speak up due to their job security,” he said.

A culture of fear pervades Murrayfield and until a good reason is given for the sacking of a popular and efficient member of the Edinburgh management team, the lack of trust will only continue.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:13 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:This is the last thing we need just as we seem to be getting things right on the pitch - sounds like a shambles!

Players need to concentrate on rugby and rugby alone - if there's behind the scenes problems that could have an effect.

Also worrying to hear how the SRU is run.

Edinburgh Rugby’s players are in open revolt against their managing director, David Davies, after he sacked the long-serving team manager. Lynsey Dingwall was a popular and efficient member of the backroom staff at Edinburgh Rugby yet she was given an hour to clear her desk after working at the club for 14 years.

The players sent an email to the board and the council of the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) which Scotland on Sunday has seen. In the missive, sent on 23 March, the players offer their full support to Dingwall.

“We feel the dismissal of Lynsey Dingwall was unfair and unjustified,” the e-mail reads. “Lynsey was part of Edinburgh Rugby for 14 years. Over that period she worked tirelessly with and for the players and was hugely respected within the organisation. Numerous past coaches and players have commented that she was the best team manager that they have ever worked with. We feel she has been the victim of a personal attack.”

The email goes on to state that the players’ views were not sought at the time the decision was made and furthermore that Davies had refused to meet his own players since showing Dingwall the door. In a damning attack on their own managing director, the players state: “We feel he doesn’t have Edinburgh’s best interests at heart and the players don’t trust him.”

Scotland on Sunday offered Davies the right of reply but an SRU spokesman declined on his behalf and instead offered this statement: “Edinburgh Rugby has been restructuring its back-office functions over recent months and as a result two members of staff have left the business. Edinburgh Rugby thanks them for their contribution to the team’s progress and wishes them well in the future. Everyone connected with Edinburgh Rugby is committed to developing a winning culture on, and off, the pitch and taking the club forward.”

According to one source, on the very same day that the players sent the email to the board and council, they were called into a meeting by SRU boss Mark Dodson, who laid down the law about who ran Scottish Rugby.

The players’ email also mentioned a previous missive from former club physio Dan Moore, who has since returned to his native New Zealand of his own volition. On his final day of work, Moore had also sent a scathing email to the board and council, branding Dingwall’s dismissal “a disgrace” and pointing out that since Davies, pictured, had adopted some of the roles previously filled by the manager there had been a comical waste of money. Davies had booked a bus for Murrayfield when the players had arranged to meet at the airport and on another occasion he booked umpteen bags into the aircraft hold when a man was already driving gear to the away game. In the final paragraph Moore comes to the same damning conclusion regarding Edinburgh’s managing director.

“There is a lack of trust in David Davies amongst staff and players, and people are afraid to speak up due to their job security,” he said.

A culture of fear pervades Murrayfield and until a good reason is given for the sacking of a popular and efficient member of the Edinburgh management team, the lack of trust will only continue.

A very worrying article as it could lead to players refusing to sign new contracts and leaving in the summer and those players staying may refuse to train during the summer. It's a pretty shocking move by Davies to refuse to meet the players to discuss the issues, since they're Edinburgh Rugby's main assets.  I do, however, see that the email was sent on the 23rd of March, so at least the players proved last week that this won't distract them on the pitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:31 am

Whilst I am also happy to see fellow Pro12 teams win against the French or English I am being totally selfish this time and hoping for an Irish win.

That way it will make travelling for the semi final game easier for me as the Dragons then beat Irish Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:20 am

Well as an Irish man I have to go with my natural affiliations........... and therefore I say I hope that Edinburgh beat the crap out of London Irish Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:04 pm

I've never forgiven London Irish for trying to kill off London Scottish and never will.

Come on Edinburgh! This one's personal.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:14 pm

Shocking article, just when you thought Edinburgh were on the right path.

Hope this doesn't led to a urine poor performance later today..

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:48 pm

Cuthbert out, Heathcote playing FH and Tonks at FB. That probably won't weaken them at all!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:56 pm

WP Nel does it again, Edinburgh definitely got them up front

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:57 pm

Great start by Edinburgh!

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Tell you what SHC is becoming one of the best kickers around. There is no way Laidlaw should be keeping him out of the Scotland team on the basis of being a better kicker.

10-0 Edinburgh and playing well!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:00 pm

BigGee wrote:Tell you what SHC is becoming one of the best kickers around. There is no way Laidlaw should be keeping him out of the Scotland team on the basis of being a better kicker.

10-0 Edinburgh and playing well!

I was just about to type that as well. SHC kicks the ball from 45+ metres as well, which Laidlaw can't do.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Its Halfpennyesque!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:07 pm

BigGee wrote:Its Halfpennyesque!

He could kick them from inside our half I think because he's clearing the bar by miles each time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:09 pm

16-0 after 21 minutes. I didn't think we'd make such a good start!

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:14 pm

FFS is the ref ever going to give us a penalty at scrum time, we are demolishing Irish

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:15 pm

At last

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:19 pm

Ross Ford is back to his accurate self at the line out

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Radox For Men Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Irish are the dictionary definition of frustrating team to watch. Pretty handy in possession in all areas apart from the red zone, and what's more our woeful discipline means we barely ever have the ball anyway

Radox For Men

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Edinburgh were mentally in the changing rooms there

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottish White Line Fever Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:33 pm

That was probably a fair try to award. Irish are up and running now.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Edinburgh switched off there, should not have given that try away. Still the game is there for the winning!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:35 pm

Edinburghs defence in the wide channels is back to its old porous nature. Visser shirking his defensive duties as usual, but worryingly Dougie Fife is getting caught narrow far too often, because the midfield is failing to deal with runners down their channel, and hes having to come in.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:37 pm

I bet Nel to score the first try, so I'm happy. Need to up the game in the second half.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:38 pm

cakeordeath wrote:FFS is the ref ever going to give us a penalty at scrum time, we are demolishing Irish

Tom Court is getting away with murder on Nel when the ref isn't on his side...

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Edinburgh need to take the game to them in the second half, like they did against Scarlets. Dangerous just to sit back and play off their mistakes!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Watching Visser just flapping away like a guppy fish for the Irish try is very annoying. Where was the drive & desire to chase back?

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:46 pm

Irish lucky to get away with that block in the try. I actually want Edinburgh to lose so they can concentrate on the ral stuff - getting 6 in the league. They need to concentrate on that

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Radox For Men Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Good start to the half, been really impressed by Paice who's run some good lines

Radox For Men

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:03 pm

London Irish 11 was so far in at the side of the ruck prior to that score. Should come back for Irish pen.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:04 pm

We have completely fallen asleep. Theyre just so passive.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Edinburgh in serious danger of throwing this away unless they start playing a bit!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Game over. Irish will win this now comfortably

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Radox For Men Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:07 pm

What a delightful game of rugby this is becoming. I quite like Edinburgh so it would be nice to see us both in the champions cup next year, Edinburgh through a top 6 finish and us through winning the challenge cup. I may be getting slightly ahead of myself

Radox For Men

Back to top Go down

Post by Radox For Men Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:08 pm

TJ wrote:Game over.  Irish will win this now comfortably

We never win games comfortably. Maybe against London Welsh or Rovigo but other than that our wins are generally very marginal

Radox For Men

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:08 pm

Good game this, but don't know why there was no sanction against Visser. Took the guy in the air and around the neck ? Was it because the player was OK ?
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:12 pm

We've remembered how to score!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Much much better Edinburgh, start playing with a little bit of ambition and things happen

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:18 pm

Strauss having a shocker today in defence. Not missed any high profile tackles, but just not handling the irish midfield at all, and its creating space for others.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:20 pm

I knew we'd start seeing 'Ford' moves attempted. Jees, this mimic stuff happens quickly these days! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next