The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frampton wants Quigg in June/July

+24
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Nico the gman
RanjitPatel
Rodney
Derbymanc
lfc91
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Dipper Brown
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
catchweight
AlexHuckerby
ShahenshahG
horizontalhero
Seanusarrilius
Coxy001
Rowley
huw
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Herman Jaeger
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
28 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Frampton wants Quigg in June/July - Page 2 Empty Frampton wants Quigg in June/July

Post by hampo17 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 1:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just had an email from Cyclone Promotions that's says they've been in negotiations for a while now, however it looks like the sticking point is that Matchroom want to promote the show by themselves, while Frampton and Barry want a joint promotion.

Matchroom have now made a public offer while ignoring requests for follow up meetings, and have now been told that if they won't come back around the table then Team Frampton will go elsewhere.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Frampton wants Quigg in June/July - Page 2 Empty Re: Frampton wants Quigg in June/July

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:08 pm

Quigg's after that spot Dave...

Quigg is almost universally regarded as the fourth best in the world although Barry Galahad might have something to say about that.

Of course, if Barry can sell out Carl fighting nomarks for the next five years, you could see the temptation on his part. But will the public lose patience?

Last edited by Herman Jaeger on Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Frampton wants Quigg in June/July - Page 2 Empty Re: Frampton wants Quigg in June/July

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:08 pm

It doesnt really ned enhancing it needs people to watch him fight regularly enough they might shell out if he steps up for one or two ppvs. Barry has said as much in the past about fighters not being ppv but going for ppv fights then returning to terrestrial television.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:46 pm

Can't fault Barry for wanting a fight of this size on free to air TV, fantastic for the fans if he can do it. There are reasons Matchroom won't get back round the table to discuss this Herman.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:50 pm

Hearn has a contract with Sky.

Doesn't that mean the fight can't happen on ITV?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:54 pm

hampo171 wrote:Can't fault Barry for wanting a fight of this size on free to air TV, fantastic for the fans if he can do it. There are reasons Matchroom won't get back round the table to discuss this Herman.

Thing is his job is to earn his charge the most amount of money. The sport has moved on since Sky changed the domestic game.

If he loses ITV then dump him and he's missed out on a huge payday. Hatton didn't need terrestrial to build a fan base, why does Frampton? He's going to have an even bigger one than he does currently, and it's already sizeable. It's just Barry trying to relive his own glory.

You can't blame Eddie in this. He's trying to maximise earnings for not just him but also Quigg (the two go hand in hand Strongy).

Reiterate that I hope CF loses and Barry's reliving dream goes jubblies up.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:55 pm

Ryder had the sky backing when he fought Saunders, they fought on Boxnation. That's easy enough to get round.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:55 pm

Sky won't be happy with Eddie by putting it on ITV, ITV will be miffed with Barry that at the first big fight he's gone with a different channel straight away.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:56 pm

I mentioned on the podcast last week that if Eddie and Scott are so confident then take the fight on ITV, gives him huge exposure which he is desperately in need of. They still have the chance to go on and get the big PPV shows, however I don't think Eddie has the confidence in Quigg. If he did he wouldn't be supporting domestic fights.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:57 pm

hampo171 wrote:Ryder had the sky backing when he fought Saunders, they fought on Boxnation. That's easy enough to get round.

Not quite a fight this size is it though...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:57 pm

hampo171 wrote:I mentioned on the podcast last week that if Eddie and Scott are so confident then take the fight on ITV, gives him huge exposure which he is desperately in need of. They still have the chance to go on and get the big PPV shows, however I don't think Eddie has the confidence in Quigg. If he did he wouldn't be supporting domestic fights.

But they're not that confident of winning it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:58 pm

Didn't say it was a fight this size, can't see why it's a major issue though personally. Easy enough to sort if they get back round the table, and Alex that's exactly what I said.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 07 Apr 2015, 6:58 pm

No, it means he has to pay a lot more money for it. whichever promoter wins purse bids wins the right to sell tv rights also. Look up degales fight - someone else outbid Eddie - warrior promotions or something like that. So if the governing body decides purse bids Eddie might lose out altogether. That's if they can't agree.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:00 pm

These things are never simple. Reality is whatever Eddie and Scott's words most accept (including the Sky paymasters) that Frampton starts as favourite. If you're the head of Sky are you happy to say "we've supported and paid you for five defences against second tier guys, the first time you fight a genuinely exciting fight feel free to go and do it for one of our major rivals"

Is easy to say Quigg returns to them a bigger star should he win, but the reality of the situation is he is far more likely to return to you without his title and needing to rebuild, which means you get to support and pay for him to wade through another four or five journeymen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

Sorry thats for Herman ^

Agreement > Fight made
Disagreement > purse bids > winning promoter decides where it goes. If hearn wins the bid then it has to be sky - but if someone else wins it they either have to give it to whoever they are contracted to or if free agents sell it to whomever they please.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:02 pm

Purse bids are for mandatory fights are they not? This will be a voluntary defence. As far as I'm aware Gary Hyde is still pushing the WBA to get Rigo vs Quigg on.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:02 pm

I think the best solution would be a joint promotion in Belfast on ppv.

Carl is ranked higher by fans, Quigg should travel.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:04 pm

Aye hampo - but it doesnt look like they'll find common ground anytime soon and I think they'd become mandatories within the next couple of fights?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:18 pm

I have no real confidence in Matchrooms ability to get these fights done. They have been sub par for quite a while now.

Frampton is the main eventer so if they want the fight they should be doing it on Framptons terms. A fight like this on ITV in Belfast would be huge but Matchroom just want to flog another sky ppv.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:30 pm

Eddie did have the contract with Sky before Barry got cosy with ITV.

That's the only reason why I think the fight should be on Sky.

Of course everyone would like to see it on ITV but Eddie did have a contract, and there's no doubt the fight would sell well. The winner goes on to big riches and Frampton must be a firm favorite wherever it takes place.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:30 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:I think the best solution would be a joint promotion in Belfast on ppv.

Carl is ranked higher by fans, Quigg should travel.

Yup Quigg travels and surely it has to be on Sky? Eddie outdicks Barry as a promoter every day of the week.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:34 pm

Could they not just fight on the ferry across to Ireland then no-one has to concede home advantage

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:35 pm

Yeah if the fight doesnt come off its onwards and upwards for Quigg on the next Kell Brook undercard defending his title against the fifth ranked WBA guy who nobody has heard of while Frampton sells out arenas and gets watched by millions.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm

hampo171 wrote:Purse bids are for mandatory fights are they not? This will be a voluntary defence. As far as I'm aware Gary Hyde is still pushing the WBA to get Rigo vs Quigg on.

Would be very interesting to see as to whether Quigg would drop his belt if it got made.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:42 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Could they not just fight on the ferry across to Ireland then no-one has to concede home advantage

Not a bad idea actually Dave.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Apr 2015, 7:49 pm

What can I say, I'm an ideas guy. Eddie pays me handsomely for them...but I give it all back, the smile on his face and the fact that him simply being alive irritates the f*ck out of STRONGY is payment in itself

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:04 pm

Hearn's argument is that they can have the fight on ITV and Cyclone can promote but without Sky PPV they wouldn't be able to generate anything like the millions he can. He's basically daring them to try and match the offer (which they can't).

This should of course have been done at the negotiating table rather than Twitter (via his own personal Igor). This almost certainly sinks the fight - definitely this summer. His stance of "negotiations are over" smacks of arrogance.

We'll likely get Frampton in Belfast (hopefully someone like Donaire) and Quigg against TBA.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:06 pm

Both have fair points of view, both have obligations a network, in a way neither are wrong.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:07 pm

Boxing is a business I keep getting told so this situation is no different to that, why would Hearn be taking into account Framptons future.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:07 pm

Can only speak for myself but getting increasingly bored with all this drivel. Seems promoters enter negotiations more concerned with ensuring their rival gets the blame for the fight not happening rather than ensuring the fight actually happens.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:19 pm

Hearn was videoed by Igor earlier claiming Quigg was taking a risk: Frampton is guaranteed £1.5m whereas, if they only did 200k buys he claimed, Quigg could end up with only £0.4m. So, is Quigg entitled to all PPV sales? Cyclone are hardly going to wear that.

Fans shouldn't have to be concerned with this drivel - we just want the fights. Pointless Hearn having a virtual monopoly on things if he can't make the fights we want.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:25 pm

The monopoly will also just start going down the route of ppv at every opportunity (even domestic level soon), which is essentially what this latest rubbish is all about. Matchroom wont do the fight unless they can flog it on ppv.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm

catchweight wrote:The monopoly will also just start going down the route of ppv at every opportunity (even domestic level soon), which is essentially what this latest rubbish is all about. Matchroom wont do the fight unless they can flog it on ppv.

I think you could be right. I read that Sky are struggling to pay for the footy and so are looking to cut back elsewhere.

Frampton should sack Quigg off and go after Donaire and Rigondeaux.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 07 Apr 2015, 8:40 pm

Rowley, Haz - I see it exactly the same. Drivel is the correct term, can't stand seeing promoters lauding it over each other on social media about who's offering more or bringing more to the table. As a fan, what the hell do I care about the finances involved? I won't see a penny of it!

When it comes to the fight: do or do not, there is no try.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:10 pm

Eugh. Bring back Don King.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:30 pm

I hope some people are seeing through the slick hair and perma tan that has been blinding them for the last few years.  Hearn is a creep.

Don't forget the diabolus is all this........Rubert Murdock.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:35 pm

I mentioned on the podcast last week (if you could understand me.....Truss lol) that Shane McGuigan said in an interview on 5Live after the Alveros fight that if Carl was to fight Quigg they don't want the WBA Title as part of it and that is Quiggs main bargaining chip. To the McGuigans (and a lot of others) they don't see Quigg as a world champ so if they aren't willing to have this fight as a unification then it sort of puts a dent in Hearn and Quiggs terms
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:37 pm

Strongback wrote:I hope some people are seeing through the slick hair and perma tan that has been blinding them for the last few years.  Hearn is a creep.

Don't forget the diabolus is all this........Rubert Murdock.

Rubert Murdock ???

I'm starting to think you don't like Eddie Hearn..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:42 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I mentioned on the podcast last week (if you could understand me.....Truss lol) that Shane McGuigan said in an interview on 5Live after the Alveros fight that if Carl was to fight Quigg they don't want the WBA Title as part of it and that is Quiggs main bargaining chip. To the McGuigans (and a lot of others) they don't see Quigg as a world champ so if they aren't willing to have this fight as a unification then it sort of puts a dent in Hearn and Quiggs terms

TV is the only potential drawback..................

Can't see SKY agreeing with it's house promoter to the biggest Brit fight of the year being on ITV...........

Quigg is a jr feath.............He'd earn more money in this fight than he would making four more defences...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm

Aye don't get me wrong it's the biggest domestic fight and potentially the easiest that CAN be made at the min. But the whole "they will fight when they both pick up world titles because it will make it bigger " statement is thrown out because Hearn got Quigg a belt that is ridiculed by almost every boxing fan. Rigo is obv THE champ but Carl has an IBF one which is held in higher regard than that regular belt. If Carl and Shane don't want that belt then Quiggs main bargaining tool of having a world title holds this back as well because Carls team don't want it. So unless Quigg picks up a WBC or beats Rigo which is very unlikely then that arguement isn't going away. Egos all around from both sides imo
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:49 pm

You're forgetting that SKY never seem to tell their viewers Quigg isn't bonafide and Hearns car washer and handyman Halling seems to keep forgetting too for some reason....

Us boxing fanboys know he's dodgy but the casual fan doesn't....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:53 pm

On the Toe2Toe Sky Sports Podcast last week Spencer Feron actually went into detail on how ridiculous the Reg belt etc is so have to give him credit for that considering it's a sky run podcast. But agree the who "WBA Super Bantamweight Champion" tag they have below Quiggs name when being interviewed is funny. I think the casual fans even know because he does get some funny stick on Twitter from the majority of people
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:54 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:On the Toe2Toe Sky Sports Podcast last week Spencer Feron actually went into detail on how ridiculous the Reg belt etc is so have to give him credit for that considering it's a sky run podcast. But agree the who "WBA Super Bantamweight Champion" tag they have below Quiggs name when being interviewed is funny. I think the casual fans even know because he does get some funny stick on Twitter from the majority of people

Probably the first champion in history to win the belt with a draw..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:57 pm

Brian Magee was worse. He beat a LMW in Perto Rico who was like 17-8 for the interim and then was upgraded to reg without even having a fight. Lost it within 4 mins to Kessler lol
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:58 pm

Quiggs title hasnt done anything for him so far. The regular title is one of the worst idea in boxing history and makes the holder look like the ultimate paper champ. Quigg defending it on undercards against blow ins while Joe Gallagher gives it the big 'un is turning him into a laughing stock. He seriously needs a proper fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 9:59 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Brian Magee was worse. He beat a LMW in Perto Rico who was like 17-8 for the interim and then was upgraded to reg without even having a fight. Lost it within 4 mins to Kessler lol

Brian Magee was a poor champion...........Carlos Maussa eat your heart out..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:00 pm

Has no real fan base either. How can they compare Quigg who fights on undercards to a guy who has purpose built stadiums for his fights lol
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:01 pm

It's an insult to boxing to call him a champ truss. He spent 4 mins defending a belt that he never fought for or won.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:02 pm

Kessler fight was downright embarrassing...........Reminded me of Pavlik v Lockett..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:03 pm

More like Rigo vs Willie Casey
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 Apr 2015, 10:06 pm

Quigg needs Frampo more than the other way around....

That's why I see it getting made..........Quigg doesn't have many options..

Frampo is the heir to Rigo................He sells out arenas............He has marketability potential abroad.......and he's fresh and exciting.........

Won't catch him now on any undercard............Unless it's a huge fight in the States....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next