The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki.

+24
Johnyjeep
Josiah Maiestas
laverfan
shivfan
NickisBHAFC
Animalfan
MrInvisible
killer938
banbrotam
monty junior
bogbrush
temporary21
CaledonianCraig
lags72
Eyetoldyouso
AlciG
dummy_half
HM Murdock
biugo
kingraf
sirfredperry
LuvSports!
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
28 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki. - Page 3 Empty Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki.

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 01 Jul 2015, 9:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Order of play

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

First up on centre court, McHale vs Lisicki. No, seriously.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki. - Page 3 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki.

Post by MrInvisible Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:31 pm

AnimalFan: I think tennis(and other sports?) forums in general seem to be in decline - this one still seems to have more life than most though. Back to the tennis, a seemingly routine win for Federer. I can see Brown taking a set but no more, against Nadal.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki. - Page 3 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 4 - McHale to the chief. Might have to throw a Li-sicki.

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:33 pm

You did break the rules. That's not even the point. A series if posts that were off topic, including my own we're removed, that way the thread gets back on track to the tennis, I sm well within my right to do that. No tennis specific posts were removed.  So back to the tennis

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:34 pm

Basilashvili breaks.

Lopez came back from 0-40 but got eventually broken.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:35 pm

Not sure I agree MrInvisible.

There are other tennis forums that are buzzing right now. Overhanded moderation will certainly drive people away and stop new people from joining.

It's extremely frustrating to put time and effort into a post only to have it removed for no discernible reason other than a moderator did not like the way a conversation went - a completely amicable conversation at that too.

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:37 pm

I removed nothing tennis related the one post I removed of yours was a personal swipe, you can't be surprised that would go along with the whole derailed part.  Anyway Tsonga has the break back an looking much better

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:40 pm

temporary21 wrote:You did break the rules. That's not even the point. A series if posts that were off topic, including my own we're removed, that way the thread gets back on track to the tennis, I sm well within my right to do that. No tennis specific posts were removed.  So back to the tennis

Which rule did I break?

And why don't you leave it out there for others to judge?

You see therein lies the problem. This is a public forum. Occasionally things are going to go a bit off track. You cannot expect every conversation to run bang on topic, so when you start to remove posts which you deem to be off track, it basically comes down to your whims.

Or do you remove every single off topic post?

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:41 pm

Basilashvili has no business winning this. Just checked and he has spent most of his career outside top 200 and his current ranking of 153 is close to the highest he has ever been....

....yet he now has two chances to serve it out.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:42 pm

temporary21 wrote:I removed nothing tennis related the one post I removed of yours was a personal swipe, you can't be surprised that would go along with the whole derailed part.  Anyway Tsonga has the break back an looking much better

It was not a personal swipe. You were trying to make it sound like other posters were taking you to task for no reason. I merely stated that you were in the wrong, not the other way around.

Even if you deemed that to be a 'swipe' what prompted you to remove all the other posts relating to the subject? Or did they also break the rules?

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:42 pm

I guess the question is whether this is a conversation between people around a shared interest in tennis, or a location for the placement of tennis posts.

It used to be the former, it has recently veered towards the latter.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:43 pm

Time for me to have another break from 606.

Let me know when you're next about to be "off duty" temp ! Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:45 pm

Well, choking a little bit maybe? Hits a DF while serving for the match the first time around.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:45 pm

Yes Lags, I think i'll leave too. I can't commit to a forum where the moderation is so personal and draconian.

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:48 pm

AF, do not go - you just came in recently. And I remember I found myself agreeing with a couple of your early posts, so you must be a good poster Wink

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:48 pm

Gents, I removed a silly argument that had been settled... This is a public forum but for tennis...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:49 pm

summerblues wrote:
lags72 wrote:Oh dear .....summerblues .......look what you've started !
My question did not come totally out of tennis nowhere.  I was thinking how Bedene was now an Englishman, and then I caught myself realizing that for all I know he is now a Scotsman.

Hence the question.  Or is he neither because he is an arrival?  Would his children then qualify? Grandchildren?

In the US and Canada it is fairly straightforward as there is no historical connection between being an American (or Canadian) and ethnicity.
He'll be British as he is now a British citizen.

I'm not aware of any legal mechanism by which someone could become 'English' or 'Scottish' as there is no such thing as English/Scottish citizenship, English/Scottish passports etc.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:52 pm

Lopez out. Wow.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:54 pm

Well you're free to do what you wish. I will note though that having multiple accounts won't help because we can see that. Anyway gents it's settled now, I just didn't want that to derail a good thread... Seppi and coric deadlocked in the third again. He might have snuck the first, but the second and third none of it, a struggling fed would have been taken to 4, that boxes well

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:54 pm

To an unknown too... Bit of a shame for Lopez he's had fairly light grass season for him

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:57 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:He'll be British as he is now a British citizen.

I'm not aware of any legal mechanism by which someone could become 'English' or 'Scottish' as there is no such thing as English/Scottish citizenship, English/Scottish passports etc.
I get the legal part.  Yet you guys refer to people as English or Scottish etc.

I presume it would be easier if this were soccer - he would either get to represent England, which would make him an Englishman, or Scotland, or etc.

I wonder, will temp delete this or is this sufficiently about tennis?  chin

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:58 pm

I see Fed has won fairly easily in the meantime. By the second set, he was showboating a little, so I suppose he felt like he was not going to lose.

Rafa time.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 Jul 2015, 4:59 pm

Interesting Factoid: Lisicki has now won more matches at Wimbledon than the other three Grand Slams combined.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:02 pm

Coric has actually taken the third set on a tiebreak now. Andy must love this. Berdy and tsonga cruising

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:06 pm

Coric was cramping last round. I wonder how much he would have in the tank for Andy if he were to win today. Then again, he is young, so he may recover quick. Still, one would have to think Andy would rather play Coric than Seppi.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:08 pm

Who isn't a "physical specimen" according to Andrew Castle!

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:08 pm

Well coric would be crippled by the point he reached Andy at this rate. Seppi would be a good opportunity to get aggressive though

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:10 pm

Don't think Andy will mind much. Hardly ducking a bomb either way.

Can see Brown sneaking a set. But I think Nadal will ease past him
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:11 pm

I can't see as I've just got in a car. What was browns backhand like? That's the key shot

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:16 pm

Easy break to love for Rafa.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:19 pm

Seppi up a double break in the 4th. Looking like going 5 again for coric

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:29 pm

Brown basically thrashes Rafa.......... for one game to break back.

And backs it up
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:31 pm

I see Rafa is AVERAGING 26 secs between points.

Oh dear......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:31 pm

Brown back in the set - a love break followed with a love hold.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:32 pm

Ja, but that's okay because Brown averaging 2.5 seconds is good counterweight, right?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:33 pm

BB, is time between points visible now in Slamtracker? (Or how to access this data?) (and btw, Fed sustained a 9s average on his speedy win against Dzumhur)

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

It was just on the telly Wink
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:34 pm

Seppi now a break up in the fifth

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:35 pm

kingraf wrote:Ja, but that's okay because Brown averaging 2.5 seconds is good counterweight, right?
More or less!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:39 pm

bogbrush wrote:
kingraf wrote:Ja, but that's okay because Brown averaging 2.5 seconds is good counterweight, right?
More or less!
Just like coming to work late but then making up for it by leaving early.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:42 pm

Time for Brown to break Rafa for the first set Wink

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:42 pm

Reminds me of my physio. In by 9, out by 12. Owns a Jaguar... Nice work if you can get it.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:46 pm

Time surely?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:47 pm

That'll smart!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:47 pm

And he does it, wunderbar! Brown 7-5 Rafa

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:48 pm

Wow!

Surely Dustin cannot keep this up?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm

36 points won: 20 winners!

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm

Wow. Well played Dustin for that first set.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:51 pm

Why O why didn't I put money on Brown earlier grrrrrrr

Can see Nadal going out here

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:52 pm

I don't think Nadal will actually lose, but Brown has played really well for this set.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:56 pm

Normally, I'd be confident that Rafa will turn this around but then my mind turns back to recent Wimbledon disasters for Rafa. Will stick my neck out and still predict Rafa to win in four. Great stuff thus far from Brown though.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 02 Jul 2015, 5:56 pm

Uh oh. That's trouble. Nadal needs to come out swinging

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next