The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why can't Mayweather make a voluntary ??

+6
wheelchair1991
TopHat24/7
AdamT
Derbymanc
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

Why can't Mayweather make a voluntary ?? Empty Why can't Mayweather make a voluntary ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 2:03 pm

What is wrong with this................

W12 Alvarez (no 1 at 154)
W12 Maidana (voluntary)
W12 Maidana (Rematch by demand)
W12 Manny ( 3rd best fighter on the planet)
VS Berto (voluntary)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brook ...

JoJo Dan
Frankie gavin
Stiff to be announced

GGG .....

Macklin
Stiff
Murray
Monroe jr
--------------------------------

......Why can't Mayweather fight a voluntary ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Why can't Mayweather make a voluntary ?? Empty Re: Why can't Mayweather make a voluntary ??

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 03 Aug 2015, 2:17 pm

First of all

WE'RE HAVE YOU BEEN MAN.

Its like you just left this place has been bearable at best. Oh man so so happy to log on today and see you are finally back.

On topic I think Floyd has like a couple fights left and so I must disagree he must fight a name out there. If you are going to run around with a cap with the letters TBE meaning the best ever then you better fight who the public want.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Why can't Mayweather make a voluntary ?? Empty Re: Why can't Mayweather make a voluntary ??

Post by Derbymanc Mon 03 Aug 2015, 2:38 pm

Brook has been given a load of stick for his last fight and the furore over his next opponent. GGG's had quite a bit of stick on here too lately.

Mayweather is supposed to be the best of a generation and (according to himself, TBE) if your gonna spout about it then you need to keep showing the fans that you are by fighting the best (not saying it's Khan etc but it deffo ain't Berto.)

When it was first mooted that it was going to be free then it's not quite so bad as it's (kind of) giving something back to the fans. If it is on PPV then it's an absolute joke moreso if it is his final fight (I doubt it but you never know.)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 03 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm

It's a joke fight at this stage. Hopefully he bows out against someone decent next May!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:06 pm

I'm confused.

"Why can't May make a voluntary", then as 'defence' (?!) you list a bunch on voluntaries.....?!?!! Erm Erm Erm

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:07 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Brook has been given a load of stick for his last fight and the furore over his next opponent. GGG's had quite a bit of stick on here too lately.

Mayweather is supposed to be the best of a generation and (according to himself, TBE) if your gonna spout about it then you need to keep showing the fans that you are by fighting the best (not saying it's Khan etc but it deffo ain't Berto.)

When it was first mooted that it was going to be free then it's not quite so bad as it's (kind of) giving something back to the fans. If it is on PPV then it's an absolute joke moreso if it is his final fight (I doubt it but you never know.)

That's garbage all fighters make voluntarily. ...Top 10 guys like Duran and Leonard are two examples.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:09 pm

W12 Alvarez (no 1 at 154) - VOLUNTARY money-spinning fight not at the full 154 weight
W12 Maidana (voluntary) - VOLUNTARY after Khan 'won' the fan-demand poll
W12 Maidana (Rematch by demand) - VOLUNTARY second bite at an already chomped apple
W12 Manny ( 3rd best fighter on the planet) - VOLUNTARY biggest money-spinning fight ever
VS Berto (voluntary)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:10 pm

Who was the last mandatory Floyd fought??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:14 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:First of all

WE'RE HAVE YOU BEEN MAN.

Its like you just left this place has been bearable at best. Oh man so so happy to log on today and see you are finally back.

On topic I think Floyd has like a couple fights left and so I must disagree he must fight a name out there. If you are going to run around with a cap with the letters TBE meaning the best ever then you better fight who the public want.

Truss has been away but my ten aliases have been around !!!. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:17 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Who was the last mandatory Floyd fought??

I believe it was Robert Guerrero

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm

I suppose he shouldn't have fought number 1 at 154 Alvarez......WBA Welterweight champion Maidana or number 3 in the world Manny...

When you beat a champion like all those guys were you are entitled to a voluntary anyway...

Besides If someone wants to tell me who has fought better opposition than Floyd in the last two years please let me know !!.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:40 pm

I think Floyd has the best record in the past two years Truss in terms of opposition quality, however when you claim that you are the best ever then your asking for trouble if you pick Berto, I don't really care myself I would rather Floyd retired after the last fight but he can't/won't because of his CBS contract and wanting probably 50-0

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:41 pm

wheelchair1991 wrote:I think Floyd has the best record in the past two years Truss in terms of opposition quality, however when you claim that you are the best ever then your asking for trouble if you pick Berto, I don't really care myself I would rather Floyd retired after the last fight but he can't/won't because of his CBS contract and wanting probably 50-0

Good post

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:44 pm

Yup but Mayweather is proclaiming himself to be TBE and that this could be his final fight and he chooses 'Berto' after all the other voluntary's (regardless of how good they were.)

Your complaining that he's not getting as much stick as other fighters yet all i've seen is Brook given stick for his choices, GGG's schtick is starting to get old now, Quigg and Framps have both been slated for not facing Rigo (along with LSC and so on.)

You cannot turn around and say 'it's fine for Mayweather to fight Berto' and then complain about Quigg et all not facing the best in their division. (Well you can but it shows up as hypocritical)

And as an aside noone is complaining that he's taken on a voluntary, they're complaining about the level of opponent (bit like we all do at various points)

Last edited by Derbymanc on Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:45 pm

Wheelie lot's of fighters claim to be the best ever and have easy defences along with the hard..

We are living in a time when the number 1 fighter has to fight top opponents all the time or he's a cherry picker whilst other fighters can fight crap without rebuke....

Quigg has received positive feedback on here for his last fight...........He beats "sloppy thirds" and is applauded in a reign full of stiffs..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:47 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Yup but Mayweather is proclaiming himself to be TBE and that this could be his final fight and he chooses 'Berto' after all the other voluntary's (regardless of how good they were.)

Your complaining that he's not getting as much stick as other fighters yet all i've seen is Brook given stick for his choices, GGG's schtick is starting to get old now, Quigg and Framps have both been slated for not facing Rigo (along with LSC and so on.)

You cannot turn around and say 'it's fine for Mayweather to fight Berto' and then complain about Quigg et all not facing the best in their division. (Well you can but it shows up as hypocritical)

So just by saying your great............You're singled out !!

Perhaps if you look at some of the chaff that the greats have fought...You may change your mind.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:55 pm

By stating your the greatest (and the fact that their is a slight possibility it may be true) then yup, your gonna get singled out.

Chaff is fine at certain points but May should really be fighting someone better (especially if it's billed as his last fight and is on PPV.)

In the great scheme of things and in 30 years time it won't matter as May's place on ATG lists is assured to the Pac fight (and others alluded to by yourself.)

As i've said as well If your happy to accept boxers fighting chaff then you shouldn't see a problem with this, nor with any other champ do it. I'd rather see them fight someone deserving at every opportunity.

P.s good to see you back as well

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 03 Aug 2015, 4:13 pm

Every Mayweather fight is a voluntary (certainly over the past few years). He fights whoever he pleases and the alphabets go along with it. He pays the biggest sanctioning fees and so they dance to his tune.

I don't think anyone can begrudge him a soft touch - it's just a dud fight (people don't have to watch I guess).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 4:32 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I suppose he shouldn't have fought number 1 at 154 Alvarez......WBA Welterweight champion Maidana or number 3 in the world Manny...

When you beat a champion like all those guys were you are entitled to a voluntary anyway...

Besides If someone wants to tell me who has fought better opposition than Floyd in the last two years please let me know !!.

Then write an OP about that then, not listing off a bunch of voluntary defences and asking why isn't Floyd allowed one....??!?!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 4:44 pm

I stand by my original piece......

Look If you're looking for a bite .....Look somewhere else..

Give me a rest..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:00 pm

How are you standing by your original piece? It is totally self defeating!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:01 pm

I'm not interested mate....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:05 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Brook has been given a load of stick for his last fight and the furore over his next opponent. GGG's had quite a bit of stick on here too lately.

He owes the fans a performance nothing more.....

You buy or you don't..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm not interested mate....

Laugh laughing clap

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:26 pm

Give us a kiss...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 03 Aug 2015, 7:38 pm

So the next time Matthews et all get a title shot, we won't expect you to be complaining as the world champion only owes the fans a performance not a great opponent

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 7:44 pm

Derbymanc wrote:So the next time Matthews et all get a title shot, we won't expect you to be complaining as the world champion only owes the fans a performance not a great opponent

My point is he's earned the right for a defence of his choice.....

I'll complain when chumps who get battered in prizefighter get shots though .....for sure !!.. Who is Stephen Ormond by the way ??

You can do better than that Derby,,

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 03 Aug 2015, 7:47 pm

He beat Jacek Wyzol in his last fight (not sure why Ormond is relevant though)
Any boxer has a right to face who they want but if your going to proclaim yourself TBE (especially with the amount of people you know are gonna jump on it) then you owe it to yourself and your fans to keep proving it.

A fight against a Thurman or a Khan (although don't agree that Khan's earned his shot) would have been better and kept a lot of peoples mouths shut.

It's like Ricky Burns fight on Saturday, you watch it unfold but ultimately wonder 'what's the point'

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 8:00 pm

I like you Derby.....You always reply to the argument you want rather than the one that has been served up to you....

All great fighters including TBE had voluntaries and soft defences..........You beat Manny you deserve a voluntary..

No great fighter has ever fought the best around after every fight.....

Alvarez, Maidana, Manny seems to be a very good collection. Stop nitpicking..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 03 Aug 2015, 8:04 pm

I'm not nitpicking Truss I'm answering when you put something. I don't like soft voluntarys at the best of times. Don't think Floyd needs to do it and shouldn't BUT in the long run don't think it makes any difference to his career down the line. I won't be watching it (same as won't watch a soft Brook defence if there's something else to do) but won't be holding it against anyone that does

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 03 Aug 2015, 8:21 pm

It's absurd...

If Campbell came out tomorrow and said I'm the greatest ever...........

You telling me If he didn't fight Linares, Perez, Crawford, Garcia, Brook, Khan, Manny and Thurman in his next eight fights you'd p**s on him...

Do me a favor................You're nitpicking..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:54 pm

Yeah I would, same as I have done with Quigg and my stance on competitive fights.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 03 Aug 2015, 10:57 pm

Who cares, if you like the look of a fight then watch if you don't then ignore it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 03 Aug 2015, 11:11 pm

Exactly HH, I wont be staying up to watch it and I won't justify it but if someone wants to then fie

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:15 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What is wrong with this................

W12 Alvarez (no 1 at 154)
W12 Maidana (voluntary)
W12 Maidana (Rematch by demand)
W12 Manny ( 3rd best fighter on the planet)
VS   Berto  (voluntary)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brook ...

JoJo Dan
Frankie gavin
Stiff to be announced

GGG .....

Macklin
Stiff
Murray
Monroe jr
--------------------------------

......Why can't Mayweather fight a voluntary ??

Its his last fight no? .... if so fair enough he can but I wont be watching it..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Tue 04 Aug 2015, 1:22 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

No great fighter has ever fought the best around after every fight.....

No other great fighters have/had a minimum of 6 months off between fights. Soft defences are usually keep busy fights. He doesn't have thaat excuse.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 8:34 am

Fitzsimmons, Johnson, Leonard, Hagler just name a few.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:25 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:So the next time Matthews et all get a title shot, we won't expect you to be complaining as the world champion only owes the fans a performance not a great opponent

My point is he's earned the right for a defence of his choice.....

ALL his defences are of his own choice. Did you get too much sun on holiday or have you been living under a rock the last 5 years...?!?!?!?!?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:28 am

He keeps fighting for titles..........So after he's won he's allowed a voluntary..

Alvarez, Maidana and Manny were all champions..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:41 am

This is the most retarded argument I have ever seen on the boxing boards, since D4 left......

It's like having that plum C_S back again!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:42 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He keeps fighting for titles..........So after he's won he's allowed a voluntary..

Alvarez, Maidana and Manny were all champions..

Do you not understand the concept of what a voluntary is?

Did Floyd HAVE to fight any of those or did he CHOOSE to?

I know you're only educated to a Yank level, but try picking up a dictionary once in a while, you won't make such a fool of yourself.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:43 am

okay...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:44 am

Derbymanc wrote:I'm not nitpicking Truss I'm answering when you put something. I don't like soft voluntarys at the best of times. Don't think Floyd needs to do it and shouldn't BUT in the long run don't think it makes any difference to his career down the line. I won't be watching it (same as won't watch a soft Brook defence if there's something else to do) but won't be holding it against anyone that does

Nobody does like voluntaries...........But all boxers should be treated the same.

Can't just expect one guy to take on the world everytime....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:57 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:okay...

Best you've got??

Weak. You have literally NO argument.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 10:00 am

You're on form today....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 04 Aug 2015, 10:03 am

I treat every boxer the same Truss, if your a champion you should be fighting the best, not cherry picking to keep your title for longer

I've said it before and i'll keep saying it, the more fans shrug their shoulders and say 'meh it happens anyway' then don't complain when you don't like something else.

'Every fighter can have a voluntary (ie someone they choose) yet if someone chose Matthews/Flanagan/Stephen Smith etc then its terrible and so on'

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Aug 2015, 10:24 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're on form today....

Still can't explain the difference between a voluntary is and what Floyd has been doing then....?? laughing

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down