The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v Fiji, 1 October

+67
Cyril
kingraf
Blanko
Barney McGrew did it
Chunky Norwich
blackcanelion
Rugby Fan
yappysnap
Breadvan
2ndtimeround
TJ
Coleman
rainbow-warrior
quinsforever
Adam D
Marshes
VinceWLB
Duty281
milkyboy
LondonTiger
RDW
eirebilly
Norfolklass
haircut
aqualung
Heaf
Cardiff Dave
Comfort
lostinwales
hugehandoff
BamBam
doctor_grey
gavstar
glamorganalun
No 7&1/2
mckay1402
Luckless Pedestrian
wrfc1980
Fanster
hjumpshoe
MarcusHalberstram
emack2
Seagultaf
No9
ScarletSpiderman
majesticimperialman
Jhamer25
rodders
GavinDragon
chris_501
kingjohn7
SecretFly
flyhalffactory
fa0019
RubyGuby
TightHEAD
Gooseberry
LordDowlais
offload
Shifty
mikey_dragon
wales606
Happytravelling
bedfordwelsh
carpet baboon
maestegmafia
George Carlin
71 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Wales v Fiji, 1 October Empty Wales v Fiji, 1 October

Post by George Carlin Sun 27 Sep 2015, 6:58 am

Wales v Fiji, 1 October Wales_12  Wales v Fiji, 1 October Fiji_r10
WALES v FIJI
1 October 2015
KO: 16:45
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Live on [tbc]

Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
Touch judges: Jérôme Garcès (France) & Mathieu Raynal (France)
Television match official: George Ayoub (Australia)

A. Head to Head

10 Played 10
8 Won 1
1 Drawn 1
1 Lost 8
306 Points 132

B. Recent Form

15 November 2014
17 – 13 to Wales

2 October 2011
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, New Zealand
66 – 0 to Wales

19 November 2010
16 – 16 Draw

29 September 2007
Stade de la Beaujoire, Nantes, France
34 – 38 to Fiji

11 November 2005
11 – 10 to Wales

9 November 2002
58 – 14 to Wales

C. Teams

WALES
Wales v Fiji, 1 October Amybet10
Matthew Morgan, Alex Cuthbert, Tyler Morgan, Jamie Roberts, George North, Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Taulupe Faletau, Sam Warburton (captain), Dan Lydiate, Alun-Wyn Jones, Bradley Davies, Tomas Francis, Scott Baldwin, Gethin Jenkins.

Reserves: Ken Owens, Aaron Jarvis, Samson Lee, Luke Charteris, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, James Hook.

FIJI
Wales v Fiji, 1 October Paulin10
Metuisela Talebula, Timoci Nagusa, Vereniki Goneva, Lepani Botia, Asaeli Tikoirotuma, Ben Volavola, Nemia Kenatale; Netani Talei, Akapusi Qera (captain), Dominiko Waqaniburotu, Leone Nakarawa, Tevita Cavubati, Manasa Saulo, Sunia Koto, Campese Ma'afu.

Reserves: Viliame Veikoso, Peni Ravia, Leeroy Atalifo, Nemia Soqeta, Malakai Ravulo, Henry Seniloli, Joshua Matavesi, Kini Murimurivalu.

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wales v Fiji, 1 October Empty Re: Wales v Fiji, 1 October

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:08 am

Like many other Welshman around the globe I just got a call asking me to attend a training session and possibles vs probable trial game on Tuesday for selection against fiji.

My hopes of getting a cap at centre or wing may still be alive after all.

I'm just hoping John Dawes doesn't turn up, he's younger and fitter than me.

How big are thee Fijians anyway?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:42 am

Amos has I dislocation. Williams was knocked out so that's him out of the rest of the group games. Scott Williams hip? Knee? Ankle? Dosent look good.
What are the chances Mr Henson getsa call? Could be his redemption/messiah moment

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:51 am

Waker will get call for Amos then I reckon its between anscombe and hook
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Sep 2015, 8:58 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Waker will get call for Amos then I reckon its between anscombe and hook

Patchell is ahead of both Anscombe and Hook unless Anscombe's injury is on going.

Centre is an issue, we are now missing three. Henson in prime form would have been a great adition but he plays for Bristol in the English division 2, has just recovered from a broken femur and is unlikely to be fit enough

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 27 Sep 2015, 9:27 am

With injuries, the Fiji game will be tough.

They will be going for 3rd spot and will be 'fresher'.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 27 Sep 2015, 9:34 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Waker will get call for Amos then I reckon its between anscombe and hook

Patchell is ahead of both Anscombe and Hook unless Anscombe's injury is on going.

Centre is an issue, we are now missing three. Henson in prime form would have been a great adition but he plays for Bristol in the English division 2, has just recovered from a broken femur and is unlikely to be fit enough

If anscombe fit then he was ahead of patchell initially so can't see why that's changed
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Sep 2015, 10:31 am

No chance on Henson. He isn't up to speed fitness wise in Gatland's eyes. We've still got a couple of backs that were part of the summer training camps, so it'll be from them.

Eli Walker can't be fit yet, can he?

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 27 Sep 2015, 1:00 pm

We are out of centre who were involved in the build-up, so I guess James Hook will come in.

There are no fit wingers from the build-up, so I guess we will bring in a flyhalf/fullback in either Patchell or Anscombe.

Don't know who is next in line, Ben John? Dan Evans? Jordan Williams? Not confident in any of them now.

Not confident seeing Tyler Morgan starting at 13 either though, but that's the only option left :/

At least all the forwards appear to be fit. We need to drive Fiji all over the park for 60 minutes and be sensible. Although the TBP could be very important in the end too...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:42 pm

Liam Williams should be okay, but I'd put him on the bench anyway and start Priestland at full-back; for all the criticism I give him he's never done badly there in his club and international career. Which means an out of sorts Cuthbert on one wing and Tyler Morgan on the other, as North will surely partner Roberts in the midfield. I guess he could give Morgan a run at centre for this game. Hopefully Hook doesn't come in, I'd prefer Anscombe.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:43 pm

Looking at the Twitter pics from the changing rooms, Scott Williams looks to be walking about and in good spirits same with Liam Williams. I'm hoping both of them are fit.

Our scrum needs a lot of work, it got better in the second half but still not good enough.

We are seriously starting to scrape the barrel for backs as it stands, if anyone else gets crocked I have no idea who they'll call up, there just isn't that many great players available.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:54 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

If anscombe fit then he was ahead of patchell initially so can't see why that's changed

Aye if he is fit

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:55 pm

wales606 wrote:We are out of centre who were involved in the build-up, so I guess James Hook will come in.

There are no fit wingers from the build-up, so I guess we will bring in a flyhalf/fullback in either Patchell or Anscombe.

Don't know who is next in line, Ben John? Dan Evans? Jordan Williams? Not confident in any of them now.

Not confident seeing Tyler Morgan starting at 13 either though, but that's the only option left :/

At least all the forwards appear to be fit. We need to drive Fiji all over the park for 60 minutes and be sensible. Although the TBP could be very important in the end too...

Or Dixon

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 27 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

I think we need to wait for news on the injuries before deciding the team, basically we need to put as strong a team as possible out, if we lose this then winning against England means nothing. Hope we can get in front early then when were sure of winning wrap Alun Wyn, Biggar, Faletau and Jamie Roberts in cotton wool. Then depending on who wins between England and Australia possibly rest our key players for the Australia game, if Australia beat England.
Strange as it may seem if South Africa finish runners up in their pool, were better off being runners up in our pool. So losing the Australia game might be the best option. I'd hate to win our pool only to face South Africa! Better to finish runners up and play Samoa or Scotland!
Thankfully Wales play Australia in the game AFTER the Scotland and Samoa one, so by then Wales will know exactly where they need to go, and who they are likely to play. Ideally we can beat Australia and play Scotland in the quarters.
We won't really have an idea until after the Fiji game to see how things will pan out.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Sep 2015, 3:03 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:We are out of centre who were involved in the build-up, so I guess James Hook will come in.

Or Dixon

He's injured.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 27 Sep 2015, 3:04 pm

Updates from BBC state that Walker's hamstring has not healed, so he will not be called up. Too bad we're not Australia with a team of utility backs.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 27 Sep 2015, 3:06 pm

Shifty wrote:if we lose this then winning against England means nothing.

Could say the same if we don't get 5 points. Get 5 points and we're in control of the pool, and our own destiny....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 27 Sep 2015, 3:19 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Shifty wrote:if we lose this then winning against England means nothing.

Could say the same if we don't get 5 points. Get 5 points and we're in control of the pool, and our own destiny....

Yep, the TBP will mean even if England beat Aus, we will only need 1 point in the game against Aus.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 27 Sep 2015, 4:13 pm

Hook is available, Gareth Anscombe is ready to resume playing, Rhys Patchell is available. The papers are also saying that Eli Walker is almost fit again. I'd leave Eli myself he seems to be made of glass.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 27 Sep 2015, 4:27 pm

BBC tweeted otherwise about Eli. I'd consider Anscombe, Hook and Patch in that order. Wonder if Matthew Morgan gets a place on the wing versus Fiji?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 27 Sep 2015, 4:51 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:BBC tweeted otherwise about Eli. I'd consider Anscombe, Hook and Patch in that order. Wonder if Matthew Morgan gets a place on the wing versus Fiji?

Erm.. those Fijian wingers are 6'5" and weigh between 16 and 19 stone, and Morgan doesnt really do defense. Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 27 Sep 2015, 5:03 pm

I know, but he would at least be considered having stayed with the squad.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Sep 2015, 7:02 pm

I'd go for Hook. I'm not his biggest fan. Actually, I've been very critical of him in the past. But that's when he's been thrown in at 10. I actually quite like him as a 13, and can agree with him as a 15 at a push, so I think he would be a good shout if Liam Williams is out and/or Scott Williams. I think at 13 he is a perfect foil for a big hitter at 12 in Roberts. I like a centre combo like that - one crash ball and one 'jinker'. Gives more options. I know his defence is not great (or is that just my unfair impression?!) but the guy is the most experienced utility back not currently called up in Wales IMO. Call him up.

I'm a dragon fan so should probably be championing Tyler Morgan's inclusion in the first xv but I think it's a bit too soon for him (although I appreciate we're down to the bare bones). He's looked great at semi pro level for Newport, OK at regional level in the few games he's played. But to then step up not only to International level but World Cup level? It's a big ask and I'm not sure he's quite there yet. It's not just an age thing. Hes just not shown enough for me yet. So again I'd prefer to see Hook at 13. Or possibly North, but then who goes wing???

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:18 am

If Liam was knocked out is there a mandatory period of rest? I'm not sure of the rules around this now.

I hope Gatland picks the very best team he can, resists resting our top players and goes all out for the bonus point.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:22 am

I would think Wales cannot ignore the fact that Hook is a very experienced player and having a calm head around the place has to be of major benefit. Wales are looking to get to the knockout stages so this is not a player should be selected with one game in mind only.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Sep 2015, 7:52 am

The Wales coaches will announce today the repercussions of the England match. It looks likely that Hallam and Scott are out.

Eli Walker has not recovered in time, Dixon has a kidney problem so this will really test our depth in the squad.

I guess the teams for the next game will be announced on Wednesday.

I guess there are a number of options open to us. But selecting from the initial squad is going to be hard.

We need a strong selection to beat a talented Fijian team, earning a bonus point win and preventing a loosing BP is the goal, but it looks like a very big challenge. Plus we have to hope we don't amount further injuries in the next two games should we qualify.

I am damn glad I am not a coach.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:45 am

Hook to come in and cover in the center is a no brainer for me. For my liking center is his best position. Hopefully Liam is not concussed, why is every wallop to the head a concussion these days ?

That leaves us with the wingers. With the massive players on the wing that Fiji have, we must play North and Cuthbert, yes I know they cannot tackle for schit, but at least their size might make the Fijians alter their mind set. But who to bring in as cover ? I am racking my brain here. But for me it would have to be Aled Brew. He is big enough to wallop the Fijians and give them a bit of what they are handing out.

Is Brew injured though ? Can he be called up ? As he was not in the original training squad.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 28 Sep 2015, 9:30 am

It looks as though we will be putting out our strongest side as well:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34376038

No rest for the wicked. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:00 am

They couldnt possibly not pick the strongest side available. They still need to win this game and with so many injuries they are already down to bare bones in the backs. Whoever gets picked that backline is going to look like a scratch side and suffer from having players out of position and or combinations that have not trained together as a unit and possibly even people form outside the regualr training squad having a crash course on Walesball. Whilst they got away with that through sheer guts at Saturday goign a full 80 with a patchwork side is going to be a lot more challenging.
Is moving North to the centers an option?
I would expect them to want to keep the game tight and played with the forwards as much as possible. Thats really who won it for Wales on Saturday, wnd where they have a clear "on paper" advantage over Fiji especially if it comes down to maintaining discipline. The last thing they will want is a scratch backline chucking the interceptions and tired legs trying to chase down 19 stone wingers.

Not having picked up any bonus points so far could still bite them if they have a bad day and Fiji turn up. Suddenly Fijis long rest between these games is looking quite nice for them too. Some of the Welsh players who are fit to play will still be carrying bumps and bruises from the after party on Staurday night. Id still expect Wales to win but if they did mess up ( and weve seen a couple of favourites do that already this world cup ) it would undo all that hard work and leave them in a pickle again.

Its a fascinating group, whilst we can moan about the absurdity of having 4 of the top 9 teams in one group its producing some real drama and a lot better than the tedious phoney wars you get in many cup groups.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:01 am

This is Fiji's RWC final.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:07 am

Wales

Last edited by RubyGuby on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:07 am

Gooseberry - Wales have a BP and are 9/10 - This is also Wales's RWC Final IMO. Breakdown is key and we might see Tipuric involved somewhere in the team, where?? is anyone's guess.

9 - GD
10 - DB
11 - GN
12 - JR
13 - Hook
14 - Cuthbert
15 - LW

thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:09 am; edited 2 times in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:08 am

Surely Liam Williams will be out?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:08 am

It would not bother me one jot if we scored all our points from rolling mauls on Thursday. We need to use all our first choice forwards for this game. As we saw on Saturday, Biggar is more than capable when it comes to kicking points.

We need to play 10 man rugby to get us through the next game.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:09 am

TightHEAD wrote:Surely Liam Williams will be out?

Not every bump to the head is a concussion. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:15 am

Wales need to keep the foot on the gas. They need a bonus point vs. Fiji, by the time they get to AUS I fear they will be so knackered/injured  that victory could be tricky (against a side who they havevn't beaten in 10 matches)... if England win next saturday it may come down to the 3 teams winning 1 game each and bonus points to Fiji will be the diff.

Big ask for England bit Wales are up first.. they cannot leave the pitch without a BP.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:22 am

LordDowlais wrote:

He looked out of it to me and Wales track record is woeful on this type of knock, player safety has to come first.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:29 am

fa0019 wrote:Wales need to keep the foot on the gas. They need a bonus point vs. Fiji, by the time they get to AUS I fear they will be so knackered/injured  that victory could be tricky (against a side who they havevn't beaten in 10 matches)... if England win next saturday it may come down to the 3 teams winning 1 game each and bonus points to Fiji will be the diff.

Big ask for England bit Wales are up first.. they cannot leave the pitch without a BP.

Yeah, the TBP is quite important though hopefully Aus will do us a favour.

Assuming nobody is getting a TBP from the England v Aus game then it will be advantage Wales if we get the TBP against Fiji

Australia would need to either get a TBP themselves or deny us a LBP for it to come down to points difference.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:31 am

Head to heads is first up if equal on points.

So if England and Wales are equal on points regardless of anything else, Wales will be higher placed.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:34 am

LordDowlais wrote:

I think he was out cold, which I think is likely concussion. Sure to find out soon.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:37 am

fa0019 wrote:Head to heads is first up if equal on points.

So if England and Wales are equal on points regardless of anything else, Wales will be higher placed.

Interesting, what happens if it is a three way tie on points though?

I guess we are better off figuring it all out next Sunday...or hopefully not having too
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:39 am

Aled Brew laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:40 am

Mike Phillips or Tipuric could realistically play centre. Spikey played an emergency centre for the Lions in the past and did ok, although perhaps now age has caught up, Tips has decent speed though.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:40 am

Is it head to head? I thought it was points difference

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:45 am

Mike Phillips or Tipuric could realistically play centre. Spikey played an emergency centre for the Lions in the past and did ok, although perhaps now age has caught up, Tips has decent speed though.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:45 am

head to head then points I believe.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:45 am

please play Phillips in the centre. Fingers Crossed
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:47 am

You've got more chance of Henson being called up than Phillips playing centre in spite of his cameo for the lions many moons ago

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:49 am

wales606 wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Head to heads is first up if equal on points.

Interesting, what happens if it is a three way tie on points though?

I guess we are better off figuring it all out next Sunday...or hopefully not having too

At that point it becomes Heads or Tails.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:50 am

TightHEAD wrote:head to head then points I believe.

Yep its head to head, points difference, points scored, tries scored, world ranking.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next