The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v Fiji, 1 October

+67
Cyril
kingraf
Blanko
Barney McGrew did it
Chunky Norwich
blackcanelion
Rugby Fan
yappysnap
Breadvan
2ndtimeround
TJ
Coleman
rainbow-warrior
quinsforever
Adam D
Marshes
VinceWLB
Duty281
milkyboy
LondonTiger
RDW
eirebilly
Norfolklass
haircut
aqualung
Heaf
Cardiff Dave
Comfort
lostinwales
hugehandoff
BamBam
doctor_grey
gavstar
glamorganalun
No 7&1/2
mckay1402
Luckless Pedestrian
wrfc1980
Fanster
hjumpshoe
MarcusHalberstram
emack2
Seagultaf
No9
ScarletSpiderman
majesticimperialman
Jhamer25
rodders
GavinDragon
chris_501
kingjohn7
SecretFly
flyhalffactory
fa0019
RubyGuby
TightHEAD
Gooseberry
LordDowlais
offload
Shifty
mikey_dragon
wales606
Happytravelling
bedfordwelsh
carpet baboon
maestegmafia
George Carlin
71 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 2 Empty Wales v Fiji, 1 October

Post by George Carlin Sun 27 Sep 2015, 6:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 2 Wales_12  Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 2 Fiji_r10
WALES v FIJI
1 October 2015
KO: 16:45
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Live on [tbc]

Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
Touch judges: Jérôme Garcès (France) & Mathieu Raynal (France)
Television match official: George Ayoub (Australia)

A. Head to Head

10 Played 10
8 Won 1
1 Drawn 1
1 Lost 8
306 Points 132

B. Recent Form

15 November 2014
17 – 13 to Wales

2 October 2011
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, New Zealand
66 – 0 to Wales

19 November 2010
16 – 16 Draw

29 September 2007
Stade de la Beaujoire, Nantes, France
34 – 38 to Fiji

11 November 2005
11 – 10 to Wales

9 November 2002
58 – 14 to Wales

C. Teams

WALES
Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 2 Amybet10
Matthew Morgan, Alex Cuthbert, Tyler Morgan, Jamie Roberts, George North, Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Taulupe Faletau, Sam Warburton (captain), Dan Lydiate, Alun-Wyn Jones, Bradley Davies, Tomas Francis, Scott Baldwin, Gethin Jenkins.

Reserves: Ken Owens, Aaron Jarvis, Samson Lee, Luke Charteris, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, James Hook.

FIJI
Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 2 Paulin10
Metuisela Talebula, Timoci Nagusa, Vereniki Goneva, Lepani Botia, Asaeli Tikoirotuma, Ben Volavola, Nemia Kenatale; Netani Talei, Akapusi Qera (captain), Dominiko Waqaniburotu, Leone Nakarawa, Tevita Cavubati, Manasa Saulo, Sunia Koto, Campese Ma'afu.

Reserves: Viliame Veikoso, Peni Ravia, Leeroy Atalifo, Nemia Soqeta, Malakai Ravulo, Henry Seniloli, Joshua Matavesi, Kini Murimurivalu.

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales v Fiji, 1 October

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:50 am

Up early today TightHEAD
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 10:52 am

Gooseberry wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:head to head then points I believe.

Yep its head to head, points difference, points scored, tries scored, world ranking.

Well at least Wales have the last one down now Wink

WE'RE NUMBER 2!, WE'RE NUMBER 2!, WE'RE NUMBER 2!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:04 am

You cant be serious. World ranking can qualify you? That is crazy.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:05 am

I definitely advocate picking the strongest team possible. Our pack should be keeping the ball for the majority of the game. Mauling, pick and driving. Hopefully pick up a try or two, but mainly milk enough penalties to take the game away from Fiji.

If we can extend a lead through penalties, you get the feeling that the couple of previous losses will catch up with Fiji and their heads may drop.

As for the team, it's tough to pick without confirmation of Scott and Hallam being out, and also to Liam. However, if he was fit, I would look to pick a backline
 of..

9-Davies
10- Biggar
11- Ma Morgan
12- Roberts
13- North
14- Cuthbert
15- Williams

Morgan would be the only week link in that team, North has played a fair few games for us and Northampton at 13 so I wouldn't worry about him.

The other options are Priestland to 15 and Williams to 11, or Tyler Morgan to 13 and North at 11.

If Williams is out, then I hope Anscombeis fit enough for 15, he is a safe pair of hands and obviously has a strong kicking game. Past him, Hook, Patchell, Shane Howarth.......

Last edited by chris_501 on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:06 am

kingjohn7 wrote:You cant be serious. World ranking can qualify you? That is crazy.

Well, when everything else is equal I guess it makes more sense than the usual coin-flip.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:09 am

wales606 wrote:
kingjohn7 wrote:You cant be serious. World ranking can qualify you? That is crazy.

Well, when everything else is equal I guess it makes more sense than the usual coin-flip.

Alphabetical order?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:12 am

chris_501 wrote:I definitely advocate picking the strongest team possible. Our pack should be keeping the ball for the majority of the game. Mauling, pick and driving. Hopefully pick up a try or two, but mainly milk enough penalties to take the game away from Fiji.

If we can extend a lead through penalties, you get the feeling that the couple of previous losses will catch up with Fiji and their heads may drop.

As for the team, it's tough to pick without confirmation of Scott and Hallam being out, and also to Liam. However, if he was fit, I would look to pick a backline
 of..

9-Davies
10- Biggar
11- Ma Morgan
12- Roberts
13- North
14- Cuthbert
15- Williams

Morgan would be the only week link in that team, North has played a fair few games for us and Northampton at 13 so I wouldn't worry about him.

The other options are Priestland to 15 and Williams to 11, or Tyler Morgan to 13 and North at 11.

If Williams is out, then I hope Anscombeis fit enough for 15, he is a safe pair of hands and obviously has a strong kicking game. Past him, Hook, Patchell, Shane Howarth.......

Hook to come in for the center would seem the obvious shout for me, we would have a potential back line of:-

9-Gareth Davies
10-Dan Biggar
11-George North
12-Jamie Roberts
13-James Hook
14-Alex Cuthbert
15-Liam Williams/Matthew Morgan

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:16 am

LordDowlais wrote:
chris_501 wrote:I definitely advocate picking the strongest team possible. Our pack should be keeping the ball for the majority of the game. Mauling, pick and driving. Hopefully pick up a try or two, but mainly milk enough penalties to take the game away from Fiji.

of..

9-Davies
10- Biggar
11- Ma Morgan
12- Roberts
13- North
14- Cuthbert
15- Williams

Hook to come in for the center would seem the obvious shout for me, we would have a potential back line of:-

9-Gareth Davies
10-Dan Biggar
11-George North
12-Jamie Roberts
13-James Hook
14-Alex Cuthbert

My issue with the Hook thing is that as far as I can remember he has never played much at 13?
 Didn't he play at 12 at the Ospreys when Biggar took over the 10 shirt? At Perpingan he played a lot at 15 but never at 13 and he is yet to play there for Gloucester.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:18 am

chris_501 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

of..

9-Davies
10- Biggar
11- Ma Morgan
12- Roberts
13- North
14- Cuthbert
15- Williams

9-Gareth Davies
10-Dan Biggar
11-George North
12-Jamie Roberts
13-James Hook
14-Alex Cuthbert

My issue with the Hook thing is that as far as I can remember he has never played much at 13?
 Didn't he play at 12 at the Ospreys when Biggar took over the 10 shirt? At Perpingan he played a lot at 15 but never at 13 and he is yet to play there for Gloucester.

He played a 13 for Wales for a fair while a few years ago.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:21 am

wales606 wrote:He played a 13 for Wales for a fair while a few years ago.

Yep, he was our first choice 13 for Wales at one point. He has played well there as well.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:23 am

Whats his pace like these dayas as well? I saw him play 10 live last season and he looked like he still has that air of class about him but he certainly doesnt have the bulk for a modern center and if hes lost the edge off those jinky runs of old Im not really sure what hes going to do at 13 where even his opportunities to use his footballing skills would be limited.
I guess he could interchange with North on defense to allow him to act as the second full back fielding kicks etc. Just getting that kind of thing right could take a bit more practise time than they have available.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:24 am

wales606 wrote:
chris_501 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

of..

9-Davies
10- Biggar
11- Ma Morgan
12- Roberts
13- North
14- Cuthbert
15- Williams

9-Gareth Davies
10-Dan Biggar
11-George North
12-Jamie Roberts
13-James Hook
14-Alex Cuthbert

He played a 13 for Wales for a fair while a few years ago.
I think it was the 2010 6 Nations. But it was a long time ago and only 5 games. I'm not totally against it, I would just prefer him at 15.

On another point, part of me says we should select players in their natural positions, I.e. Tyler Morgan at 13. England missed a trick not selecting Slade there on Saturday. However due to be our injuries, do we simply just have to try to get our strongest backs on n the pitch?

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:29 am

Yes, him at 13 and Shane Williams on the wing was quite a good attacking combo a few years back. It gave a bit more time on the ball being at 13 compared to 10, and he can be quick elusive with a bit of space, ball in two hands. Plus, he's a decent distributor of the ball from playing at 10, quite good at the cheeky chip or grubber as his footballing skills are decent. Just defence is a bit of a worry for me. But I'd pick him.

They need to call him up quickly mind - players have to be with the squad 48 hours minimum before they can be included in the matchday squad (I'm assuming so that it doesn't disadvantage those teams who have to call up players from the other side of the world compared to those whose players are just down the M4?).

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:39 am

fa0019 wrote:Wales need to keep the foot on the gas. They need a bonus point vs. Fiji, by the time they get to AUS I fear they will be so knackered/injured  that victory could be tricky (against a side who they havevn't beaten in 10 matches)... if England win next saturday it may come down to the 3 teams winning 1 game each and bonus points to Fiji will be the diff.

Big ask for England bit Wales are up first.. they cannot leave the pitch without a BP.

Given the fact that Australia failed to get one, I would take a one point win in this match. Puts it back on England to win on the weekend then. Lose on Thursday (a realistic possibility, given the turnaround time and injuries...and the fact Fiji are a blwdi good team) and we are out of the WC in my opinion and the win on Saturday means nothing.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:46 am

I agree GD, we HAVE to concentrate on the win first. And Gats knows this. We (more than most teams) are all too aware of the very real possibility of coming unstuck against teams like Fiji, Samoa, etc. if we go in with a laissez faire attitude or a second string side looking to keep the top players rested. We need to get maximum points while still respecting the opposition and hope that, if we do lose to Aus which is statistically very likely, that we've done enough beforehand to see us through. But if we rest players, get a draw or a loss against Fiji then it leaves us as a depleted team trying to do something we've not been able to do with a full team in a stupid number of attempts - I.e. beat Aus. That would be too much to ask.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:46 am

I think Wales just need to get out of this with the win. Their destiny is in their own hands and don't need to worry about bonus points.

I don't think this one is a banker win - Wales will do well to back up this week and Fiji have played some great rugby and have been unlucky so far.

If Wales are pragmatic then they can pick Fiji off then re-group to throw the kitchen sink at Australia.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:51 am

I dont want to see the ball go outside Biggar. And I would like to see us change the tactics by putting the ball off the park and challenging their lineout.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:55 am

GavinDragon wrote:I dont want to see the ball go outside Biggar. And I would like to see us change the tactics by putting the ball off the park and challenging their lineout.

Agree totally with your second part. Wales (so Gats) likes this game where we keep the ball in field and do not kick for the touch. I understand that in part, but we need to kick for the corners more. Firstly it adds a bit of variety to our game and can turn the opposition. And secondly it gives the opposition more to do on their own line. I'd love to see AWJ and Charteris challenging lineouts on the opposition 5m line. We need to do it more.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 28 Sep 2015, 11:58 am

I think the Welsh are too well prepared, too well coached, too fit, too bloody-minded, too familiar with Home surroundings, too crafty to lose.

Then again...... what do I know? Zilch.

But I do think Wales have too much resting on this one to lose (despite all the injuries) - and with Biggar in the form he's in....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 28 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm

Griff wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:I dont want to see the ball go outside Biggar. And I would like to see us change the tactics by putting the ball off the park and challenging their lineout.

Agree totally with your second part.  Wales (so Gats) likes this game where we keep the ball in field and do not kick for the touch.  I understand that in part, but we need to kick for the corners more.  Firstly it adds a bit of variety to our game and can turn the opposition.  And secondly it gives the opposition more to do on their own line.  I'd love to see AWJ and Charteris challenging lineouts on the opposition 5m line.  We need to do it more.

If Wales go into the next game with a "just get the win" attitude then you might come unstuck going into the final match on 13pts against Australia. You will then play into Australia's hands as they will know it won't be a disaster if they lose to England without a LBP, as the final standinging will go Australias way as long as they beat Wales by a four point margin i.e. they will not have to score four tries as long as they beat Wales with more than a seven point margin and their defence has been pretty sound up to now.

Wales have to look for a 5 pt victory that will put you on 14 pts and putting the pressure on Australia going into the final game against you guys, knowing they will have to score four tries and stop you guys grabbing a LBP. I can see England winning both their last two matches and gaining 10 pts and ending up on 16 or realistically a minimum 15 pts.

Wales have to look at a minimum 15 pts.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 28 Sep 2015, 1:34 pm

Trying to pick a backline for Thursday could prove one of the toughest so far given the injuries, we simply have to win this game a bonus point will be just that - a bonus. If we lose then Saturdays heroics will mean nothing.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 1:44 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Griff wrote:

Agree totally with your second part.  Wales (so Gats) likes this game where we keep the ball in field and do not kick for the touch.  I understand that in part, but we need to kick for the corners more.  Firstly it adds a bit of variety to our game and can turn the opposition.  And secondly it gives the opposition more to do on their own line.  I'd love to see AWJ and Charteris challenging lineouts on the opposition 5m line.  We need to do it more.

If Wales go into the next game with  a "just get the win" attitude then you might come unstuck going into the final match on 13pts against Australia. You will then play into Australia's hands as they will know it won't be a disaster if they lose to England without a LBP, as the final standinging will go Australias way as long as they beat Wales by a four point margin i.e. they will not have to score four tries as long as they beat Wales with more than a seven point margin and their defence has been pretty sound up to now.

Wales have to look for a 5 pt victory that will put you on 14 pts and putting the pressure on Australia going into the final game against you guys, knowing they will have to score four tries and stop you guys grabbing a LBP. I can see England winning both their last two matches and gaining 10 pts and ending up on 16 or realistically a minimum 15 pts.

Wales have to look at a minimum 15 pts.

Yes I agree. I probably didn't describe that well enough. We need as many points as possible. But in the past we've been guilty of thinking about the 4 tries, flinging it about to the backs to get the tries, before the game is won and the 4 points are in the bag, if that makes sense. By having a big score target at the front of our thoughts we've then forgotten the basics and come unstuck. Structure, going through the normal motions, set piece, recycling ball, etc., etc. is what we need against Fiji and hopefully the bonus point will come. Champagne rugby will play into the hands of the Fijians I reckon, even if they have not been on fire attacking wise this tournament. They love a broken field game which we'll get if we start to fling it about. That's what did for us against them in 2007. Tried to beat them at their own game. But as Gavin said above we need to keep it tight against them, wave after wave of forward stuff and THEN get the backs into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:07 pm

Totally agree with you Griff and Gavin in that respect.

Even if Liam Williams was ok to start, I would play him only as a last resort.

I liked Davies/AWJ combo, it was controlled but aggressive and I would start with that. Massively impressed with Lydiate (and Warbs) last match and he has to start over Tips. I would call up Hook to cover outside centre, but not FB or FH  and put him straight into the match.

My shout for what its worth.

15 Priestland
14 North
11 Cuthbert

13 Hook
12 Roberts

10 Biggar
9 Davies

8 Faletau
7 Warburton
6 Lydiate

5 AWJ
4 Davies

3 Francis
2 Baldwin
1 Jenkins

Replacements:
16 Owens
17 Jarvis
18 Lee,
19 Charteris
20 Tipuric
21 Lloyd Williams
22 Tyler Morgan or Mike Phillips
23 Matthew Morgan
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:12 pm

We NEED 5 points from this, and can get it. We probably will #FeelingConfident.

So far there are just question marks over Liam Williams. Apart from that we know who's available. We need to decide on what combination is best and will that be changed in the second half. Our best midfield from this point on is Roberts and North, who should play versus Australia. But is it a better idea to give Tyler Morgan another start at 13, or should he just play on the wing? Should Lloyd Williams play on the wing? Should Matthew Morgan play on the wing? Should Priestland play full-back? We could be looking at a much re-jigged backline. As long as they can defend better out wide than we did against England we should be okay, because I'm confident we can beat Fiji up front. I would start Charteris on this occasion though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:17 pm

I don't think I'd argue too much with that Flyhalfactory. I'm not sure that having so many outside halves potentially on the pitch at once is a good thing though, but going by your name maybe that's how you like to see the game played! We could see Biggar, Priestland, Hook all on and Nipper Morgan come on as an emergency wing! Bonkers, although I don't know why really! Although there's some good kicking options there.

I'd like to see Lee get more game time. I don't want him under-cooked for Aus even though I appreciate he's coming back from injury. What about Paul James? Is he out injured now altogether? I'd start Ken Owens perhaps as I rate him more than Baldwin overall. Wouldn't mind if Charteris started but Bradley Davies did well on Sat. The bench picks itself really - it's anyone who's left standing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:20 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:We NEED 5 points from this, and can get it. We probably will #FeelingConfident.

So far there are just question marks over Liam Williams. Apart from that we know who's available. We need to decide on what combination is best and will that be changed in the second half. Our best midfield from this point on is Roberts and North, who should play versus Australia. But is it a better idea to give Tyler Morgan another start at 13, or should he just play on the wing? Should Lloyd Williams play on the wing? Should Matthew Morgan play on the wing? Should Priestland play full-back? We could be looking at a much re-jigged backline. As long as they can defend better out wide than we did against England we should be okay, because I'm confident we can beat Fiji up front. I would start Charteris on this occasion though.

I sort of like the idea of North as a centre but I just can't see the logic of switching him to centre and then Morgan to wing. They're position specialists and I think changing their roles this late into a tournament is a bit risky. So for me it's either North comes in and is replaced by a specialist wing or we leave North on wing and bring in a specialist centre (Hook included as he is a, dare I say it, 'utility back'.)

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:23 pm

Griff wrote:I don't think I'd argue too much with that Flyhalfactory.  I'm not sure that having so many outside halves potentially on the pitch at once is a good thing though, but going by your name maybe that's how you like to see the game played!  We could see Biggar, Priestland, Hook all on and Nipper Morgan come on as an emergency wing!  Bonkers, although I don't know why really!  Although there's some good kicking options there.

I'd like to see Lee get more game time.  I don't want him under-cooked for Aus even though I appreciate he's coming back from injury.  What about Paul James?  Is he out injured now altogether?  I'd start Ken Owens perhaps as I rate him more than Baldwin overall.  Wouldn't mind if Charteris started but Bradley Davies did well on Sat.  The bench picks itself really - it's anyone who's left standing!

What about Owain (or is it Owen) Williams of Leicester?, he is a big old chunk and playing well for the tigers...... damn he is primarily a 10 as well Doh ...
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:24 pm

Has anyone actually been ruled out yet? If not he won't call anyone else up as would have to replace someone
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:24 pm

Am I missing something or has everyone forgot about Tyler Morgan; why people are putting hook ahead of him is beyond me. We have our first choice pack, we will have worked on our scrum so i'm not worried about the scrum as much. Tomas Francis was very hard done by on some calls because Marler was not driving straight. Gethin's binding was the issue on few occasions but he is experienced enough to know how to come back from (by his standard) a poor game.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:26 pm

People are saying Hook as a 13. What happened years ago was Hook had a shoulder injury in a game and was picked too early after receiving it against Australia I think and he was struggling to make his tackles due to the pain. He had a bad day there because of the injury and people pretty much said from then on he's rubbish in the center because he can't tackle. Truth is he was simply injured and was targeted all game.

Gatland won't pick Hook there though. The options are George North and Jamie Roberts, or Tyler Morgan and Jamie Roberts. Personally I'd go for Tyler and Jamie, with North and Cuthbert on the wings. If Liam Williams is fit he will play, if not then Priestland must come in at 15. This isn't a game for Matthew Morgan to be honest, he's much to small to against those 6'5" Fijian wingers with his optional tackling defense. No player is going to come into the squad on a Tuesday and play on a Thursday, Gatland just doesn't do that kind of thing.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:28 pm

I honestly think that this is a big task for Wales, what with the injuries and a short turn around most of the players that played against England will have too play against Fiji.

I am not saying that Wales cannot win this game, but Fiji will be well rested and put in 2 tough games against England and Australia. They will be well and truly up for this, they will not wan't to go out of the pool with out claiming at least 1 scalp.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:30 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Has anyone actually been ruled out yet?  If not he won't call anyone else up as would have to replace someone

Scott has apparently done his ACL, so he will be ruled out. I have read somewhere that confirmation of this will be later on. But Scott is certain to be replaced.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:32 pm

As for the team, I would go for

Priest, North, T Morgan, Roberts, Cuthbert, Biggar, Davies;
Jenkins, Baldwin, Lee, Davies, AWJ, Warburton, Tipuric, Faletau
(bench: Owens, Jarvis/James, Francis, Ball, Mortiaty, Lydiate; Phillips, Ll Williams, )
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:33 pm

I think we will be calling two people up, I'm hoping it's Patchell and Hook.
I'd go for something like this vs Fiji
1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Ken Owens (a much safer bet in the lineout)
3. Tomas Francis
4. Alyn Wyn Jones
5. Luke Charteris - Bradely Davies played really well and was a physical presence all around the park but Charteris' impact in the mauls and lineouts could be crucial against a team like Fiji who have conceded both penalties and tries due to their weakness to defend them.
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Falateu

9. Gareth Davies
10. Rhys Priestland
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Tyler Morgan
14. Alex Cuthbert
15. Dan Biggar - I think I would feel more at ease with Biggar at fullback than Priestland. He is easily our better 10 but he has all the attributes of a great fullback which he has played in the past. Compared to Priestland he is a better defender, one of the best players in the world in the air atm and is a better kicker for field position.

16. Scott Baldwin
17. Paul James (if fit)
18. Samson Lee
19. Bradley Davies
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Lloyd Williams
22. James Hook
23. Rhys Patchell

Last edited by Jhamer25 on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:35 pm

Griff wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:We NEED 5 points from this, and can get it. We probably will #FeelingConfident.

I sort of like the idea of North as a centre but I just can't see the logic of switching him to centre and then Morgan to wing.  They're position specialists and I think changing their roles this late into a tournament is a bit risky.  So for me it's either North comes in and is replaced by a specialist wing or we leave North on wing and bring in a specialist centre (Hook included as he is a, dare I say it, 'utility back'.)

I see what you mean. But when you consider that we've run out of wingers then it is kind of logical. Roberts and North have on a number of occasions been a good combination, and as a midfield have played against Australia a couple times. Tyler would be eaten alive by the backs that Australia can put out, but I still rate him highly so would like to see him involved. Otherwise you could just put him on the bench and we have Matthew Morgan or Lloyd Williams play on the wing. I'm no Hook fan, but if he is called back into the squad I can only see him just about making the bench.

Forwards, I agree with you and would start Lee and Charteris. Owens for me is more of an impact player and isn't as good a starter.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:37 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:Am I missing something or has everyone forgot about Tyler Morgan; why people are putting hook ahead of him is beyond me. We have our first choice pack, we will have worked on our scrum so i'm not worried about the scrum as much. Tomas Francis was very hard done by on some calls because Marler was not driving straight. Gethin's binding was the issue on few occasions but he is experienced enough to know how to come back from (by his standard) a poor game.

My understanding is the Tyler has a muscle injury

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:38 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I honestly think that this is a big task for Wales, what with the injuries and a short turn around most of the players that played against England will have too play against Fiji.

I am not saying that Wales cannot win this game, but Fiji will be well rested and put in 2 tough games against England and Australia. They will be well and truly up for this, they will not wan't to go out of the pool with out claiming at least 1 scalp.

Your predictions have been all but right so far though Madge. FYI, Wales are ranked second and Fiji are ranked tenth. Wales are two from two. Fiji are zero from two, and those two losses were quite convincing. Fiji will get their scalp when they face off against Uruguay.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:39 pm

If we have to play Priestland can we shove him in the 2nd row please!! Matthew Morgan was FB v SA and did a great job before LW went and F'd Up

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:51 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Has anyone actually been ruled out yet?  If not he won't call anyone else up as would have to replace someone

No, but as I said elsewhere they need to hurry up and decide. If they are ruled out then a player needs to get here within 48 hours of the match or he can't play. So tomorrow evening he needs to be called up at the latest to make it in time for Thursday evening, whoever it might be (e.g. Hook).

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:53 pm

Players have been ruled out and others called up already. It wont be made official until later as there's nothing to be gained with the early release

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:Am I missing something or has everyone forgot about Tyler Morgan; why people are putting hook ahead of him is beyond me. We have our first choice pack, we will have worked on our scrum so i'm not worried about the scrum as much. Tomas Francis was very hard done by on some calls because Marler was not driving straight. Gethin's binding was the issue on few occasions but he is experienced enough to know how to come back from (by his standard) a poor game.

Well Gatland is obviously keen on him so logically he will probably come in rather than Hook, otherwise he would have just called up Hook in the first place. As I posted earlier I'm a Dragons fan so therefore by nature I should be routing for Tyler Morgan. However, I just think a World Cup is a bit early for him in his development. He's played a handful of Pro rugby games, and has only looked OK in them for the Dragons. A world cup is therefore a big ask. I would have kept Hook in the original squad when it reduced to 31 over someone like Cory Allen. I just think we need a bit of experience on this occasion now that our backs are against the wall somewhat with the injuries. Just one opinion though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Players have been ruled out and others called up already. It wont be made official until later as there's nothing to be gained with the early release

thumbsup

thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:58 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Players have been ruled out and others called up already. It wont be made official until later as there's nothing to be gained with the early release

thumbsup

I was told there would be an announcement today about the squad and their injury status.

No news published yet though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 28 Sep 2015, 2:59 pm

thumbsup

Hennnnnnsssssssooooooonnnnnn!!!!!!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 3:06 pm

So what about this backline?

10. Rhys Preistland
11. Matthew Morgan
12. Dan Biggar
13. James Hook
14. Rhys Patchell
15. Gareth Anscombe

I can't see an issue with that... Whistle
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Sep 2015, 3:08 pm

wales606 wrote:So what about this backline?

10. Rhys Preistland
11. Matthew Morgan
12. Dan Biggar
13. James Hook
14. Rhys Patchell
15. Gareth Anscombe

I don't think Fiji would have an issue with it as well

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 3:09 pm

Press conference at 4.30 apparently, I guess we will find out who has been called up.

Guessing Anscombe and Hook
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 Sep 2015, 3:09 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

10. Rhys Preistland
11. Matthew Morgan
12. Dan Biggar
13. James Hook
14. Rhys Patchell
15. Gareth Anscombe

I don't think Fiji would have an issue with it as well

thumbsup

Lots of kicking options Very Happy
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 28 Sep 2015, 3:15 pm

Griff wrote:

Well Gatland is obviously keen on him so logically he will probably come in rather than Hook, otherwise he would have just called up Hook in the first place.  As I posted earlier I'm a Dragons fan so therefore by nature I should be routing for Tyler Morgan.  However, I just think a World Cup is a bit early for him in his development.  He's played a handful of Pro rugby games, and has only looked OK in them for the Dragons.  A world cup is therefore a big ask.  I would have kept Hook in the original squad when it reduced to 31 over someone like Cory Allen.  I just think we need a bit of experience on this occasion now that our backs are against the wall somewhat with the injuries.  Just one opinion though!

He's been more than OK, hence how he's established himself as first choice 13 for us. And it took more than a handful of pro games to do so.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 28 Sep 2015, 3:15 pm

10. Rhys Preistland
11. Matthew Morgan
12. Dan Biggar
13. James Hook
14. Rhys Patchell
15. Gareth Anscombe

Wow 6 no 10's. What about Jason Tovey at scrum half as well ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next