The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v Fiji, 1 October

+67
Cyril
kingraf
Blanko
Barney McGrew did it
Chunky Norwich
blackcanelion
Rugby Fan
yappysnap
Breadvan
2ndtimeround
TJ
Coleman
rainbow-warrior
quinsforever
Adam D
Marshes
VinceWLB
Duty281
milkyboy
LondonTiger
RDW
eirebilly
Norfolklass
haircut
aqualung
Heaf
Cardiff Dave
Comfort
lostinwales
hugehandoff
BamBam
doctor_grey
gavstar
glamorganalun
No 7&1/2
mckay1402
Luckless Pedestrian
wrfc1980
Fanster
hjumpshoe
MarcusHalberstram
emack2
Seagultaf
No9
ScarletSpiderman
majesticimperialman
Jhamer25
rodders
GavinDragon
chris_501
kingjohn7
SecretFly
flyhalffactory
fa0019
RubyGuby
TightHEAD
Gooseberry
LordDowlais
offload
Shifty
mikey_dragon
wales606
Happytravelling
bedfordwelsh
carpet baboon
maestegmafia
George Carlin
71 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 11 Empty Wales v Fiji, 1 October

Post by George Carlin Sun 27 Sep 2015, 6:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 11 Wales_12  Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 11 Fiji_r10
WALES v FIJI
1 October 2015
KO: 16:45
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Live on [tbc]

Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
Touch judges: Jérôme Garcès (France) & Mathieu Raynal (France)
Television match official: George Ayoub (Australia)

A. Head to Head

10 Played 10
8 Won 1
1 Drawn 1
1 Lost 8
306 Points 132

B. Recent Form

15 November 2014
17 – 13 to Wales

2 October 2011
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, New Zealand
66 – 0 to Wales

19 November 2010
16 – 16 Draw

29 September 2007
Stade de la Beaujoire, Nantes, France
34 – 38 to Fiji

11 November 2005
11 – 10 to Wales

9 November 2002
58 – 14 to Wales

C. Teams

WALES
Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 11 Amybet10
Matthew Morgan, Alex Cuthbert, Tyler Morgan, Jamie Roberts, George North, Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Taulupe Faletau, Sam Warburton (captain), Dan Lydiate, Alun-Wyn Jones, Bradley Davies, Tomas Francis, Scott Baldwin, Gethin Jenkins.

Reserves: Ken Owens, Aaron Jarvis, Samson Lee, Luke Charteris, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, James Hook.

FIJI
Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 11 Paulin10
Metuisela Talebula, Timoci Nagusa, Vereniki Goneva, Lepani Botia, Asaeli Tikoirotuma, Ben Volavola, Nemia Kenatale; Netani Talei, Akapusi Qera (captain), Dominiko Waqaniburotu, Leone Nakarawa, Tevita Cavubati, Manasa Saulo, Sunia Koto, Campese Ma'afu.

Reserves: Viliame Veikoso, Peni Ravia, Leeroy Atalifo, Nemia Soqeta, Malakai Ravulo, Henry Seniloli, Joshua Matavesi, Kini Murimurivalu.

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 30 Sep 2015, 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 11 Empty Re: Wales v Fiji, 1 October

Post by Shifty Thu 01 Oct 2015, 8:59 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Shifty wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Shifty wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Shifty wrote:
Heaf wrote:What's all that about - I don't think I've seen any England fans saying anything about England performing better than Wales so what's the relevance here?  Nice of England to let Wales have a home game though if it's their world cup.

Wales have a LEGALLY Binding agreement that was signed in 1999.  If ANY 6 nations country bids for a World Cup then they HAVE to include Cardiff in their bid, as Wales allowed all the other countries to do so in their 1999 World Cup.  England didn't let Wales do anything, it's enshrined in a legally binding contract that runs until the end of time.  Hug
Read Graham Henrys autobiography if you want the details of the deal he described it as a master stroke by the WRU in the negotiations when countries wanted to host pools in the 1999 tournament.  

I didn't seriously think England were being nice - I wasn't aware of the reason behind it though Smile

I did read that England wanted to bid without Cardiff being involved and the WRU told them no, and that was the end of it.  I do agree that the contract shouldn't run forever but everyone agreed to it back in 1999 so what can you do?  In reality Wales, Scotland and Ireland can't be sole bidders for a World Cup because they don't have the stadia.  

One interesting thing to note is France hosted the 2007 World Cup yet when they played New Zealand in the quarters they played New Zealand in Cardiff.  the "host" nation played away basically...

Very strange ... I wonder how that came about - can't believe the French would have wanted it that way.

It happened because France lost to Argentina in the pool stages and finished up runners up in their group.  Argentina actually creamed France a second time in the 3/4 place play off, with something like a 25 point margin.    

ah yes - I guess they weren't expecting to be pool runners up ...

The RFU clearly weren't taking a chance on a repeat as both the group winner and runner up play at HQ I believe.

Their not that dull at least, though losing to Wales and potentially not qualifying at all wasn't part of the plan.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:04 pm

Shifty wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Shifty wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Shifty wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Shifty wrote:
Heaf wrote:What's all that about - I don't think I've seen any England fans saying anything about England performing better than Wales so what's the relevance here?  Nice of England to let Wales have a home game though if it's their world cup.

Wales have a LEGALLY Binding agreement that was signed in 1999.  If ANY 6 nations country bids for a World Cup then they HAVE to include Cardiff in their bid, as Wales allowed all the other countries to do so in their 1999 World Cup.  England didn't let Wales do anything, it's enshrined in a legally binding contract that runs until the end of time.  Hug
Read Graham Henrys autobiography if you want the details of the deal he described it as a master stroke by the WRU in the negotiations when countries wanted to host pools in the 1999 tournament.  

I didn't seriously think England were being nice - I wasn't aware of the reason behind it though Smile

I did read that England wanted to bid without Cardiff being involved and the WRU told them no, and that was the end of it.  I do agree that the contract shouldn't run forever but everyone agreed to it back in 1999 so what can you do?  In reality Wales, Scotland and Ireland can't be sole bidders for a World Cup because they don't have the stadia.  

One interesting thing to note is France hosted the 2007 World Cup yet when they played New Zealand in the quarters they played New Zealand in Cardiff.  the "host" nation played away basically...

Very strange ... I wonder how that came about - can't believe the French would have wanted it that way.

It happened because France lost to Argentina in the pool stages and finished up runners up in their group.  Argentina actually creamed France a second time in the 3/4 place play off, with something like a 25 point margin.    

The RFU clearly weren't taking a chance on a repeat as both the group winner and runner up play at HQ I believe.

Their not that dull at least, though losing to Wales and potentially not qualifying at all wasn't part of the plan.  

But now a real possibility Whistle

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:04 pm

Shifty - given the teams in the pools that's probably not unreasonable to be fair ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:07 pm

Of course they still have the unfair advantage of

1. Always at least a week between games
2. Playing the lowest ranki team very last and hence knowing exactly what points diff they will need.

Not that I'm saying that was fixed.... I mean they're English, so they wouldn't ever do something as unfair as that... Whistle

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:10 pm

No9 wrote:Of course they still have the unfair advantage of

2. Playing the lowest ranki team very last and hence knowing exactly what points diff they will need.

Not that I'm saying that was fixed.... I mean they're English, so they wouldn't ever do something as unfair as that... Whistle

Head to head before points difference and Wales have won that one.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:10 pm

We can be proud of the team even if we are eliminated, it seems insane Wales can lose only one game in the 6 nations and finish third and lose only 1 game at the world cup and be eliminated at the pool stage, but there you go... steam
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:12 pm

I don't think PD will feature tbh ... and you could equally make the argument England had a tougher start facing Fiji first and then losing JJ for the next match.

If anything I think Australia had a better run-in ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:15 pm

Shifty wrote:We can be proud of the team even if we are eliminated, it seems insane Wales can lose only one game in the 6 nations and finish third and lose only 1 game at the world cup and be eliminated at the pool stage, but there you go... steam

This pool is insane - any one of Wales, England and Australia could lose just one match and be out. Crazy to have all these plus Fiji in the same pool when you look at some of the '2nd teams' in the other pools.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:18 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

not if it becomes a 3 way tie, and that's a distinct possibility.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:22 pm

So...!

Bring on the best Wallaby team I think I have seen in ten years...

The boys are going to get roasted in the debriefing. The missed tackle count, credit to Fijian skill admitted, was unacceptable of this Welsh squad...!

They expect more of themselves.

Tough game after only five days rest but now they have time to recover, to train and to work on the precision we need for the next game.

Any changes to the side?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:24 pm

No9 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

not if it becomes a 3 way tie, and that's a distinct  possibility.

True.

We better just beat the wallabies then qualification will be guaranteed

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:30 pm

maestegmafia wrote:So...!

The boys are going to get roasted in the debriefing. The missed tackle count, credit to Fijian skill admitted, was unacceptable of this Welsh squad...!

Tough game after only five days rest but now they have time to recover, to train and to work on the precision we need for the next game.

Any changes to the side?

Personally for me yes, Gethin needs to be dropped, I'd bring in Paul James if he's finally recovered.

I'm undecided about Baldwin he never throws into the line out straight but somehow always gets away with it. I'm undecided if he's a poor scrumaging hooker. I'm leaning towards giving Owens a run instead.

Lee has to come in for Francis, surely he can do 60 minutes now?

AWJ has to stay he's essential.

I might go for Charteris over Bradley simply for the chance to attack and disrupt their line out.

The back row picks itself the usual three.

Davies isn't spectacular but he'll do, but I would go for Phillips experience on the bench.

Biggar has to start at 10, hopefully it's just cramp. notworthy

Cuthbert and Liam Williams on the wings for me.

North and Jamie Roberts in the center. Tyler Morgan was out of his depth today.

Andscombe at full back.

That's who I'd pick anyway. Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 11 3933776953
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:32 pm

No9 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

not if it becomes a 3 way tie, and that's a distinct  possibility.

It's possible, but I think unlikely, as if I'm correct England would have to beat Australia and Wales lose but get both LBP and TRP.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:36 pm

Shifty

That's a lot of changes mate..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:37 pm

Lets panic AFTER England play Australia. If we go out we go out, don't stress over it. Best case scenario Australia beat England, we beat Australia and we play Scotland in the quarters. worse case scenario we lose 1 game in the pool to Australia and go out. Or end up playing Samoa in the quarters.

Ohhhh God Samoa.... picard
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:40 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Shifty

That's a lot of changes mate..!

Well Gethin's been rubbish in the scrums.  Baldwin is going to get pinged for his line out throwing at some point.  Lee is a better tight head.  Charteris is a better line out forward.  The backs are a mess and there is no way either of the Morgans are good enough to face Australia to be honest.  We'll have to trust Gatland, but today's team wouldn't of got close to Australia to be fair.

Last edited by Shifty on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:40 pm

Ha ha ha...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:54 pm

The problems in the scrum were that our tight head crumbled.  I didn't think gethin was too bad and his loose play is far too valuable.  He's worth two or three turn overs per game.  

Is Jake Ball injured?

I reckon after a decent rest we have a chance against Australia.  This squad has the best attitude I've ever seen from a Wales squad.  Tonight was always going to be tough but they came through with a good win.  

Cuthbert is a weakness.  We really need an alternative.  Lloyd?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:00 pm

mckay1402 wrote:The problems in the scrum were that our tight head crumbled.  I didn't think gethin was too bad and his loose play is far too valuable.  He's worth two or three turn overs per game.  

Is Jake Ball injured?  

I reckon after a decent rest we have a chance against Australia.  This squad has the best attitude I've ever seen from a Wales squad.  Tonight was always going to be tough but they came through with a good win.  

Liam Williams can play wing and Andscombe or Hook at full back.

The scrum REALLY needs sorting out or we can forget about this World Cup now. I'm interested in seeing what the coaches will do.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:04 pm

Well done Boys. Looks like you're all but through.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:04 pm

Shifty wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:The problems in the scrum were that our tight head crumbled.  I didn't think gethin was too bad and his loose play is far too valuable.  He's worth two or three turn overs per game.  

Is Jake Ball injured?  

The scrum REALLY needs sorting out or we can forget about this World Cup now.  I'm interested in seeing what the coaches will do.

Our scrum was solid in the six nations and against Ireland.

I agree it seemed to be TH rather than LH that was the issue. I reckon the boys will have a pretty intense de brief on set piece, breakdown and defence tomorrow.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:05 pm

Dan biggar interview - Just cramp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34420555
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:05 pm

blackcanelion wrote:Well done Boys. Looks like you're all but through.

Shocked

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:07 pm

Shifty wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Shifty wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Shifty wrote:
Heaf wrote:
Shifty wrote:

They might all have been to expensive schools but they're clearly not that smart. If they had their wits about them, they'd have found a 'wild card' format that allowed the team that came third in the group a safe passage through.

Anyway well done wales... was always going to be tough under the circumstances.  Without the bonus point, you now face a situation where you want australia to beat england or.... and this will be the tricky bit to get your heads round... for england to win big. The disaster for you is england winning with the aussies getting a losing bonus point or  england winning where both score 4 or more tries. Unlikely I know.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:38 pm

"england winning where both score 4 or more tries. Unlikely I know."

So was that England v France game earlier in the year.  

If both sides get jittery, there might be a snow storm of jittery tries brought on by the desire to win and the subsequent loosening of defence.  
England need to win - Australia will be ready to counter any gaps that England's resolve opens up.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:42 pm

Didn't see the match, but since Wales didn't get the 4 tries, Fiji must have made a good go of it. England barely got their 4th try and Australia didn't get the fourth try against Fiji either. Good on them.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:49 pm

Just back from the game – very entertaining for a (theoretical) neutral. Wales came away with a decent win but might rue not being able to get the bonus. Baldwin’s try was… not; few people in the MS thought so. And the welsh boys were dead on their feet at the end. But deserved the win. Fiji need a goal kicker, the 10 was just awful. And my God they were naïve with some of their antics in their own 22. Both sides left a lot of points on the field. Fiji had the welsh scrum on toast – that’ll be a real concern for the Aus game. All eyes on the Eng/Aus game then.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 01 Oct 2015, 10:54 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Shifty wrote:

Is Jake Ball injured?  

The scrum REALLY needs sorting out or we can forget about this World Cup now.  I'm interested in seeing what the coaches will do.

I agree it seemed to be TH rather than LH that was the issue. I reckon the boys will have a pretty intense de brief on set piece, breakdown and defence tomorrow.

It was definitely Jenkins who got his ass handled to him on a plate by Fiji 3 (the same prop who had Marler into all sorts of troubles).

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 2:59 am

flyhalffactory wrote:TightHEAD I am scottish so no bias. It was a clear correct call.
If you are on just to wind up fair enough, but it was correct

Hers, sorry Head I mean would never wind people up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 3:02 am

Griff wrote:Talei: awesome for Edinburgh, rubbish for Dragons, very good for Fiji!

Wasn't rubbish for Dragons. Just unlucky with injuries and a few other things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 3:04 am

TightHEAD wrote:Well played Fiji, shame it wasn't in a neutral venue but such is life.

Something the irb have to look at IMO.

As you'd have seen last week, it doesn't matter where Wales play. We won at HQ remember, despite your captain saying on the advert they back themselves at home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 3:05 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Lacey rubbish, rules not applied to Fiji at the breakdown. Wales rubbish,too many missed tackles and knock-ons - this seems to be the usual when we play Fiji so I'm not sure who can take the blame. Hook and Cuthbert are terrible players. Cuthbert wouldn't be in if it weren't for injuries, brining Hook back in was clearly a huge error when he's continued to show he's out of his depth, which he also did today.

Cuthbert probably still would be in. He's Sir Warren's lovechild.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 3:12 am

Heaf wrote:
MarcusHalberstram wrote:Oh, and it's not as if Tyler Morgan disgraced himself, but JD2 and Scott Williams are MASSIVE losses for us. By far the biggest issue we have with injuries.

I've not seen Morgan before but I was impressed ... thought he played really well.

He was very solid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 3:16 am

majesticimperialman wrote:How bad is Biggar. Was it an injurie or just cramp?

He did not look to comfortable when he went off?

Would you be comfortable walking with cramp?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 3:24 am

Shifty wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:So...!

Any changes to the side?

Personally for me yes, Gethin needs to be dropped, I'd bring in Paul James if he's finally recovered.  

I'm undecided about Baldwin he never throws into the line out straight but somehow always gets away with it.  I'm undecided if he's a poor scrumaging hooker.  I'm leaning towards giving Owens a run instead.

Lee has to come in for Francis, surely he can do 60 minutes now?

AWJ has to stay he's essential.

I might go for Charteris over Bradley simply for the chance to attack and disrupt their line out.

The back row picks itself the usual three.

Davies isn't spectacular but he'll do, but I would go for Phillips experience on the bench.

Biggar has to start at 10, hopefully it's just cramp.  notworthy

Cuthbert and Liam Williams on the wings for me.

North and Jamie Roberts in the center.  Tyler Morgan was out of his depth today.

Andscombe at full back.  

That's who I'd pick anyway. Wales v Fiji, 1 October - Page 11 3933776953

Tyler Morgan out of his depth laughing. Then you go even more into daft mode by moving Liam Williams from 15 to wing and still playing Cuthbert. Amazing, fair play.

It's Anscombe, by the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanko Fri 02 Oct 2015, 5:35 am

I've watched both Wales games so far and I dont know how Baldwin is getting away with his line out throw ins. Either the tv is playing tricks on me or he somehow masking from the officials the fact he is throwing in directly to his own team.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

Can't believe savvy teams don't have the officials primed for that.

Blanko

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 02 Oct 2015, 6:24 am

VinceWLB wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Shifty wrote:

Is Jake Ball injured?  

It was definitely Jenkins who got his ass handled to him on a plate by Fiji 3 (the same prop who had Marler into all sorts of troubles).

Yes and no. I thought the first penalty against Jenkins, Maafu hit the deck first.

Can't fathom what has gone wrong in the scrum. We were solid n 6n and even against ireland away in the warm ups. There has been alot of press about Marler's illegal scrummaging last week. Being perceived to be a week scrum is almost as bad as actually haveing a weak scrum as the ref just pings who he thinks is dominant.

However, there was one particular scrum, on our own ball, where we were literally shoved off it, both sides of the scrum - so no wheeling.

The height at which our props were engaging was a big worry. The Fijians simply got underneath us and drove up and back - fair play to them. We have seen so called minows perfect the old art of "channel one ball" a quick strike through the props legs to the back of the scrum. It doesnt allow the opp to get the shove on. Perhaps it is time to work on that. Either way I dont, and never have, rated McBryde as a forwards coach. Would love to see Wilson drafted in as a set piece specialist.

I would probably put James in, however, he is not the scrummager he once was since the "hit" has been removed. However, if he is perceived to be stronger, it may help us in terms of penalties. I must admit I was suprised Nicky Smith was released - think the lad can do a job.

I would also start Lee next weekend. As much as it pains me to say it, because I think the lad has enormous potential, Francis needs more work at this level. But then, if the pack are not being coached well, it is no surprise we are struggling!

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Oct 2015, 6:49 am

Blanko wrote:I've watched both Wales games so far and I dont know how Baldwin is getting away with his line out throw ins. Either the tv is playing tricks on me or he somehow masking from the officials the fact he is throwing in directly to his own team.

I haven't seen a straight throw by any team. Same with scrum feeds...

Usually 1 gets picked up every tournament...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:03 am

Blanko wrote:I've watched both Wales games so far and I dont know how Baldwin is getting away with his line out throw ins. Either the tv is playing tricks on me or he somehow masking from the officials the fact he is throwing in directly to his own team.

The throw is allowed to go anywhere between the inside shoulders of the two lines of players - so you can throw it more to your side that central legally.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:23 am

Thought this was a very good game. Do Fiji have another flyhalf though? Reckon old Ben is holding them back. Poor kicking off the Tee and tactically. The difference between him and Biggar was a huge factor.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:32 am

GavinDragon wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Shifty wrote:

Is Jake Ball injured?  

Yes and no. I thought the first penalty against Jenkins, Maafu hit the deck first.

Can't fathom what has gone wrong in the scrum. We were solid n 6n and even against ireland away in the warm ups. There has been alot of press about Marler's illegal scrummaging last week. Being perceived to be a week scrum is almost as bad as actually haveing a weak scrum as the ref just pings who he thinks is dominant.

However, there was one particular scrum, on our own ball, where we were literally shoved off it, both sides of the scrum - so no wheeling.

The height at which our props were engaging was a big worry. The Fijians simply got underneath us and drove up and back - fair play to them. We have seen so called minows perfect the old art of "channel one ball" a quick strike through the props legs to the back of the scrum. It doesnt allow the opp to get the shove on. Perhaps it is time to work on that. Either way I dont, and never have, rated McBryde as a forwards coach. Would love to see Wilson drafted in as a set piece specialist.

I would probably put James in, however, he is not the scrummager he once was since the "hit" has been removed. However, if he is perceived to be stronger, it may help us in terms of penalties. I must admit I was suprised Nicky Smith was released - think the lad can do a job.

I would also start Lee next weekend. As much as it pains me to say it, because I think the lad has enormous potential, Francis needs more work at this level. But then, if the pack are not being coached well, it is no surprise we are struggling!

The scrum is not just about the front row it's the whole 8 in harmony. Jenkins looks to at the end of his long and distinguished career, Francis on the other hand clearly has a lot to learn. Lee is a long way from being fully fit, he usually takes at least 4 or 5 games to start getting into his stride and Jarvis is a sometimes tight head playing on the loose. James should come into the equation against Australia, if not then the other choices like Francis are pretty green. Smith looks a good prospect but is very green and a bit hit and miss with his scrummaging, Evans looks the better bet at present if James is not fit and with Lee would probably Improve Wales scrum.

Against England Marler bore in under Francis and against Fiji Francis was lifted off the ground, maybe a bit more grunt in the second row from someone like Jake Ball, in place of Davies may help the scrum.

As for the backs I may be alone in my view but I though the two Morgans looked a bit out of their depths. Nipper made one superb break which should have let to a try, and Tyler is clearly a fantastic athlete. Unfortunately both looked fragile in the second half, Nipper's defence and decision making was found wanting and Tyler's handling and also his positioning in defence seemed to draw Roberts out of position.

It's desperate times but with Cuthbert showing just how far his form has fallen and Hook proving his doubters right the cupboard is bare. If Sanjay is fit, what about playing Tyler on the wing where is current failings can be managed and Anscombe at 13?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:42 am

Ok then so where do I start.  Firstly when the draw was made if someone had said to me we will be 3 from 3 going into the last round with destiny in our own hands then I would have been happy with that.

At the start of the week I felt quite confident that we would win and get the BP, then through the week nerves started to kick in and said I would be happy with a 10-15pt win.  By halftime I thought ok 2 tries in bag nice little lead we can get the BP, then by the end I was a nervous wreck just screaming kep it tight and not let them get close just get the win.  So a week of emotions lol

Onto the game, the short turn around is hard but hats off to Fiji for a great game and hats off to AWJ, Faletau, Warburton, Davies, Biggar, Roberts and North for playing full 80 in the last two games.

Positives - We won and no serious injuries (I hope), thought both Morgans slotted in well and showed some good touches and looked good even if M Morgan does give me kittens at times.  Thought Warburton had an absolute HUGE game in every facet, Davies has really taken his chance due to Webbs injury and Biggar just goes from strength to strength.

Negatives - Our scrum was shockingly poor all night, I questioned from the off not having 6 props in the squad and have constantly questioned the decision not to replace Paul James if he's injured.  Having to rely on Jarvis to cover L/Head (though he did go well in loose) is for me a recipe for disaster.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:46 am

I'm happy with the outcome although we lacked composure when it mattered in the first half and butchered 2 try opportunities. I would have taken that result before the game. This Fiji side pushed England off their scrum 3 times in a row at Twickenham so it was always going to be difficult and Talupe did a great job scrambling ball for us at the back. Gareth Davies lacked some crucial precision at times and he needs to be a little calmer, Biggar's kicking from hand wasn't his best and Tyler remains raw which is to be expected, he's solid but raw and his lack of composure showed with his passing although he used his strength well for the try. Cuthbert huffed and puffed and did his best but for me its not good enough at the moment. The team for Aus IMO should contain Liam at 15, Hook in the centre, Charteris in the 2nd row as it will be a different type of game requiring guile as much as grunt and I would consider Paul James at LH if fit. I would prefer another winger to Cuthbert and whether Gats considers playing Liam there and MM FB again remains to be seen. The cupboard is pretty bare. Maybe Anscombe is the safer FB choice if Liam moves to the wing but its all about managing the injuries. 3/3 is a supreme effort under the circumstances

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:52 am

I'll be honest I won't be overly happy with Hook playing anywhere, he just doesn't fill me with confidence.

If all are fit I would go with

Jenkins (James has to at least be on bench all call up Rob Evans)
Baldwin
Lee
AWJ
Charteris
Lydiate
Faletau
Warburton

Davies
Biggar

North
Roberts
T Morgan
Cuthbert

Williams

A lot will depend on Williams' recovery, there is the option as Ruby said of putting him on the wing and M Morgan. Hook or Anscombe at XV
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Oct 2015, 8:58 am

Big win for Wales - that puts them in total control of the group, the long turn around now should give them a chance to recover and throw the kitchen sink at Australia.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 02 Oct 2015, 9:03 am

You've got to feel sorry for Fiji any other group and they could have qualified for the QF, just no justice in this world sometimes.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 02 Oct 2015, 9:09 am

rodders wrote:Big win for Wales - that puts them in total control of the group, the long turn around now should give them a chance to recover and throw the kitchen sink at Australia.

We don't have a kitchen sink Rodders, it got injured in the warm ups

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Oct 2015, 9:18 am

TightHEAD wrote:You've got to feel sorry for Fiji any other group and they could have qualified for the QF, just no justice in this world sometimes.

Agree - in another day they could have won all their games - they've played some of the best rugby in the competition.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 02 Oct 2015, 9:22 am

rodders wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:You've got to feel sorry for Fiji any other group and they could have qualified for the QF, just no justice in this world sometimes.

Agree - in another day they could have won all their games - they've played some of the best rugby in the competition.

Very good team. I hope McKee stays as their coach

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2015, 10:11 am

I was genuinely terrified every time Fiji got the ball. Even in their own 22 I felt they could quite easily go the length of the field! Horrible, anxious, tense game for me as a fan. Really didn't enjoy it, but would have as a neutral I'm sure. The Fijians are so good with ball in hand. We know that. But to see it again, the way they are all 'arms and legs' when going into contact just makes them so hard to bring down. Even their second rows just thrash through tackles, get their arms past the defender, and the ball is there for the offload. Awesome stuff.

It also reminded me how easy Wales go to ground. We much prefer to get down and recycle the ball from a ruck rather than stay upright for as long as possible and offload. But when you're getting battered in the rucks it means your whole game is slowed down and the defending team has time to set up their line each time. We needed to change tactics a bit, but didn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next