The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

+83
Biltong
GavCanDance
GunsGerms
Comfort
aucklandlaurie
Newsilure
profitius
lostinwales
Dontheman2
fa0019
No 7&1/2
rainbow-warrior
The Great Aukster
SecretFly
tatterd
Cardiff Dave
nathan
englandglory4ever
dublin_dave
exile jack
greygoose
Exiledinborders
anaNg
R!skysports
sad_gimp
nobbled
VinceWLB
Engine#4
glamorganalun
stub
Sgt_Pooly
offload
Duty281
gog1992
wales606
Peter Stringer
TJ
Blueschief
Seagultaf
Sin é
BigTrevsbigmac
whocares
DirtyRucker7
majesticimperialman
stevetynant
Golden
PenfroPete
jimmyinthewell68
Kingshu
thebandwagonsociety
theslosty
Rory_Gallagher
irnbrew
geoff999rugby
Fanster
Breadvan
rapidsnowman
RiscaGame
Knowsit17
Gwlad
carpet baboon
RubyGuby
RuggerRadge2611
eirebilly
Pete330v2
bedfordwelsh
wayne
BamBam
True Raven
Luckless Pedestrian
GavinDragon
TightHEAD
Cyril
maestegmafia
rodders
Pot Hale
Marshes
munkian
Shifty
Notch
mikey_dragon
LordDowlais
George Carlin
87 posters

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 10 Empty 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

Post by George Carlin Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 10 Irelan11 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 10 Wales_11
IRELAND v WALES
7 February 2016
KO: 15:00 GMT
Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Live on RTE, ITV, FR2, DMAX, BBC(H)

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Touch judges: [tbc]
Television match official: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

123 Played 123
52 Won 67
4 Drawn 4
67 Lost 52
1,365 Points 1,461

B. Recent Form

29 August 2015
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
10 – 16 to Wales

8 August 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
21 – 35 to Ireland

14 March 2015
23 – 16 to Wales

8 February 2014
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
26 – 3 to Ireland

2 February 2013
22 – 30 to Ireland

C. Teams

IRELAND
6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 10 Michae11
S Zebo; A Trimble, J Payne, R Henshaw, K Earls; J Sexton, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best (capt), N White; D Toner, M McCarthy; CJ Stander, T O’Donnell, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, J Cronin, T Furlong, D Ryan, R Ruddock, K Marmion, I Madigan, D Kearney.

WALES
6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 10 Anthon11
G Anscombe; G North, J Davies, J Roberts, T James; D Biggar, G Davies; R Evans, S Baldwin, S Lee, L Charteris, A-W Jones, S Warburton (capt), J Tipuric, T Faletau.

Replacements: K Owens, G Jenkins, T Francis, B Davies, D Lydiate, L Williams, R Priestland, A Cuthbert

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 10 Empty Re: 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

Post by Notch Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Peter Stringer wrote:
greygoose wrote:Earls was rubbish in defence. One pen for the tip tackle and after Heaslip turned over the ball he knocked himself out with his pathetic attempt at rucking; directly led to Wales' last penalty. Useless player.

Disgraceful comment. Ger Earls taught Keith how to tackle similar to the montage in Rocky IV by chopping wood and being a manly lumberjack type. How many cows have you ever tip tackled, Keith Earls does ten before breakfast. You are clearly an anti-Munster racist and I am referring your comment to the European Court of Human Rights.

What is even happening here Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 10 Empty Re: 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

Post by greygoose Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:13 pm

No, the refs is, that's my point!

greygoose

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:14 pm

eirebilly wrote:I still cant help but feel that had Ireland started McCloskey at 12 with Henshaw 13 and Payne at 15, that attacking intention from Ireland may have paid dividends. I am actually impressed at the way Ireland approached the game.

Heaslip and Stander worked very well together as well.

Yes, i think the non selection of McCloskey cost Ireland the game imo as it means Earls wouldn't have played and McLoskey would have handled Roberts much better.

Stander was immense as was Ruddock when he came on. Why did McGrath played the whole game? Cronin is more than an able replacement to bring on.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Result better than expect but have to say my misgiving about Schmidt are growing.,

Our game plan seems to consist of stopping the opposition by being defensively sound and taking chance if and when they occur.
We are content to let the opposition to dominate possession and territory - we do not take a game by the scruff of the neck and dominate it.

Also we got lucky today our defence was narrow and relied on our wingers to make big tackles when facing an overlap which happened a lot. Fortunately Earls and Trimble were excellent in this regard. Too high risk and if Wales had played with more sharpness we would have been exposed.

Again the centres were ok defensively but where is the cutting edge.
Being good in defence isn't everything - there are 4 other centres at Ulster alone who have a better eye for a gap and an offload than the 2 players who started.

Two players were carried today
White - simple not up to this level
Zebo - but as I said he should not be put in the 15 shirt in the first place

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:14 pm

wales606 wrote:NOBODY WINS!

Like kissing your sister

Gatland stole your line! See, the coaches do get their advice on here!

Last edited by Rory_Gallagher on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:14 pm

That's proof Gatland reads 606 - he just talked about kissing his sister !

Last edited by nobbled on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Dull my backside, that first half was fantastic, high tempo, quality rugby. The weather closed in and made things more difficult in the second half. Think O'Donnells injury tipped the breakeven balance in favour of the Welsh towards the end, our backrow was horribly unbalanced. Cheers to the Welsh anyway for a thoroughly enjoyable game!

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:16 pm

nobbled wrote:That's proof Gatland reads 606 - he just talked about kidding his sister !

Think it was originally a Scott Johnson line when Scotland drew a few years ago
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Peter Stringer wrote:
greygoose wrote:Earls was rubbish in defence. One pen for the tip tackle and after Heaslip turned over the ball he knocked himself out with his pathetic attempt at rucking; directly led to Wales' last penalty. Useless player.

Disgraceful comment. Ger Earls taught Keith how to tackle similar to the montage in Rocky IV by chopping wood and being a manly lumberjack type. How many cows have you ever tip tackled, Keith Earls does ten before breakfast. You are clearly an anti-Munster racist and I am referring your comment to the European Court of Human Rights.

Great a WUM has a go at a clueless individual.
Grey Goose you are an embarrassment to Ulster

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:18 pm

Peter Stringer wrote:

Laugh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:18 pm

eirebilly wrote:I still cant help but feel that had Ireland started McCloskey at 12 with Henshaw 13 and Payne at 15, that attacking intention from Ireland may have paid dividends. I am actually impressed at the way Ireland approached the game.

+1 I remain convinced selection cost us the match

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Ireland, decimated by injuries, attacked better than a welsh side pretty much fully loaded.

If I was an Irish fan I would be fairly happy, annoyed that you didn't take the chances you created and slightly concerned over your strength in depth in the front row, but still fairly happy with the performance.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by gog1992 Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:22 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
gog1992 wrote:A draw is worth absolutely f-all to us. That's the grand slam over!!

Daft comment but then again you thought Roberts should have been dropped so not a surprise

I don't think Roberts should be dropped not when he's our only 12!! Scott Williams when available will offer us a different option. Tool.

gog1992

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Would still take Zebo at 15 over Kearney on current form

3 changes for next week for me: McCloskey,OBrien back to 7 if fit and Furlong

Bench: Cronin, White, S Cronin, Ryan, ODonnell, Marmion, Jackson, Zebo

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Zebo is a great player and he will always offer something in attack from either fullback or wing. That said, playing fullback requires a lot more nous in defensive positioning and that is where I feel Zebo lacks in his experience at 15.

To me, Schmidt simply has to look at Payne at 15, its where I feel he would bring more balance.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:25 pm

VinceWLB wrote:

Yes, i think the non selection of McCloskey cost Ireland the game imo as it means Earls wouldn't have played and McLoskey would have handled Roberts much better.

Stander was immense as was Ruddock when he came on. Why did McGrath played the whole game? Cronin is more than an able replacement to bring on.

I actually agree with part of this (not the Earls bit) but I think that McCloskey might (test rugby is a step up) have made a big difference in the midfield. His sheer power, quick feet and distribution would have been very interesting to see against Roberts and could have really tipped the momentum in Ireland's favour. I certainly don't think he would have came second best in the same way that Henshaw did.

As I have said countless times to the point that people are probably sick of hearing it, Henshaw is just not that sort of player. He was a fish out of water and didn't have the space to make a difference. He is a physical player but not in the same mould as Roberts or McCloskey. Give him more space and suddenly you have an extremely dangerous strike runner.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Forget the players. It is the coaching, the attacking gameplan is so bereft of creativity and stuck in 09 it is unreal.

Players look unable or unwilling to offload, we don't know how to put men into space only into contact.

Howley admitted it himself when he said that our attack is based on going through phases and creating mismatches in the defensive line. The thing is, most pro players of all sizes are fairly comfortable defending at any point of their defensive system, and when all we do is crab across, it makes it easy to defend. We need to be coaching our players to offload in contact and simple, basic draw and pass into space which we seem unable to do.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:28 pm

eirebilly wrote:Zebo is a great player and he will always offer something in attack from either fullback or wing. That said, playing fullback requires a lot more nous in defensive positioning and that is where I feel Zebo lacks in his experience at 15.

To me, Schmidt simply has to look at Payne at 15, its where I feel he would bring more balance.

Zebo proved that he does have the ability to really cause problems for the opposition. He is generally a good kicker and I still think he is best on the left wing. What he needs (for both Munster and Ireland) is space and time. He won't get that with an inadequate midfield or a struggling pack. To be honest I am shocked he stayed with Munster.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:29 pm

agreed 100% on Henshaw Rory. He is a very good player but wasted a little at 12 for me. He is a dangerous runner has decent pace but his distribution, hands and ability to blast over the gainline are not as good as McCloskeys.

I would have him at 13 until Ringrose comes through then look to convert him back to full back.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by gog1992 Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:30 pm

We need someone to beat England if we have any chance at the championship.

gog1992

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I actually agree with part of this (not the Earls bit) but I think that McCloskey might (test rugby is a step up) have made a big difference in the midfield. His sheer power, quick feet and distribution would have been very interesting to see against Roberts and could have really tipped the momentum in Ireland's favour. I certainly don't think he would have came second best in the same way that Henshaw did.

As I have said countless times to the point that people are probably sick of hearing it, Henshaw is just not that sort of player. He was a fish out of water and didn't have the space to make a difference. He is a physical player but not in the same mould as Roberts or McCloskey. Give him more space and suddenly you have an extremely dangerous strike runner.

I know you are against the expansive style of play Rory but I believe still that the talent is there for Ireland to play a more expansive game. It was a very good effort today and I was impressed but as I said earlier, had McCloskey started at 12 with Henshaw 13 and Payne 15, I honestly feel that Ireland would have had more balance.

Totally agree with you regarding Henshaw, he is so much more that a bosh 12 he is being deployed as and its a shame.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 pm

I don't really see how Ireland can blame injuries while Wales aren't making too much of it. Webb and Halfpenny are injured, Warburton, Liam Williams, and a few others are only back playing by a week or so since the World Cup. Biggar went off early, and Anscombe broke down before the game.
Jeepers and the Irish think THEY have problems! Whistle
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Stringer Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
Peter Stringer wrote:

Great a WUM has a go at a clueless individual.
Grey Goose you are an embarrassment to Ulster

How dare you sir. How very dare you. At least I use my real name on this forum and don't hide behind anonymity. I can't say the same of you, though if your middle name is 999 and surname is actually Rugby then I immediately doff my cap to you. By the way the cap I would doff to you is made of bearskin. Tom Reid wrestled the bear in 1954 was defeated him with a move called the Thomond Elbow while referring to himself in the first person. It was the inspiration for the wrestler The Rock. True story.

Peter Stringer

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Ireland as sure as hell missed Rob Kerney today....He is twice the player that Zebo is.

When Biggar wen't off i thought Ireland would win hands down. Thought Priestland would miss most of his kicks than he did.
But well played to him he really stood up today.

Over the three games so far this week end, no Team is really looking threatning at this moment. Maybe it is because it is the first game. Maybe after next week end one team will look the best. Maybe?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by greygoose Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:33 pm

Right, Geoff, you speak on behalf of 'Ulster' do you, must have missed that bit. Maybe attempt some discourse? I've stated an opinion, try a counter, you'll find it more fulfilling than pejoritives.

greygoose

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:33 pm

can't see it. England will go from strength to strength from yesterday's result. GS IMO.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Stringer Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:36 pm

I agree with the comments about McCloskey. Henshaw, who has a number of caps at this level and has generally played well for Ireland, was schooled by the experienced Welsh Lion Jamie Roberts. The sensible thing to do is promote someone about 20/21 with no caps and only two weeks to learn a defensive system with players he has never played with. A very sensible choice.

Peter Stringer

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:39 pm

Two good sides going at it for the full 80. England will be very worried about both teams but our home advantage might just be the difference.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:39 pm

eirebilly wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I know you are against the expansive style of play Rory but I believe still that the talent is there for Ireland  to play a more expansive game. It was a very good effort today and I was impressed but as I said earlier, had McCloskey started at 12 with Henshaw 13 and Payne 15, I honestly feel that Ireland would have had more balance.

Totally agree with you regarding Henshaw, he is so much more that a bosh 12 he is being deployed as and its a shame.

I love expansive rugby (who doesn't?) but it has to be effective and in the right areas of the field. I actually agree with you that a few tweaks to the team may give us more opportunities. However, we may still be bullied up front and for that reason this is going to be a very difficult 6 nations to win. We will still need to rely on kicking for territory effectively and we were very poor in that area of the game.

McCloskey at 12 has to happen though, it really does. He looks ready, he looks confident. I think Payne will remain at 13 and I think Kearney will come in at 15 but I think that is okay. McCloskey has to start though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Shifty wrote:I don't really see how Ireland can blame injuries while Wales aren't making too much of it.  Webb and Halfpenny are injured, Warburton, Liam Williams, and a few others are only back playing by a week or so since the World Cup.  Biggar went off early, and Anscombe broke down before the game.  

Who has "blamed" injuries?

Last edited by Rory_Gallagher on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:40 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:Two good sides going at it for the full 80. England will be very worried about both teams but our home advantage might just be the difference.

I think you have the power, strength in depth and enough finesse behind (not to mention a smart coaching team) to beat both, comfortably.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:43 pm

I still believe that Zebo is still ahead of Kearney at 15 Rory (even if Joe doesn't) but Payne has to play there. Can you imagine the lines Payne will run from 15 brining McCloskey and Henshaw into threatening positions? No team would want to kick deep to Ireland.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:44 pm

Peter Stringer wrote:I agree with the comments about McCloskey. Henshaw, who has a number of caps at this level and has generally played well for Ireland, was schooled by the experienced Welsh Lion Jamie Roberts. The sensible thing to do is promote someone about 20/21 with no caps and only two weeks to learn a defensive system with players he has never played with. A very sensible choice.

23 years old, full of confidence, one of the best players in Europe this season and the guy who actually does play 12 at the top level for his club. Yeah, who would be silly enough to look at that. Rolling Eyes

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:45 pm

According to the tv commentator, that was the first draw between Ireland and Wales since 1974. I've supported Wales for 60 years but didn't recall that one, so I looked up the details. The score was 9-9. Ireland kicked 3 penalties, Wales scored 1 converted try (4 pt try) and 1 penalty.

Look at some of the players in the 1974 draw. Ireland backs included Gibson, Milliken and Ensor who kicked the 3 penalties. Ireland forwards included Slattery, McBride, Keane, Kennedy and McLoughlin. Wales backs included Edwards, Bennett who kicked the conversion and penalty, JPR Williams and JJ Williams who scored the try. Wales forwards included Mervyn Davies, Cobner, Wheel, Martin and Windsor.

I was forced to remember that the presence of great players on the field didn't guarantee that matches in the '70s were always full of dazzling running and breathtaking tries!

Last edited by optimist on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Peter Stringer wrote:I agree with the comments about McCloskey. Henshaw, who has a number of caps at this level and has generally played well for Ireland, was schooled by the experienced Welsh Lion Jamie Roberts. The sensible thing to do is promote someone about 20/21 with no caps and only two weeks to learn a defensive system with players he has never played with. A very sensible choice.

23 years old, full of confidence, one of the best players in Europe this season and the guy who actually does play 12 at the top level for his club. Yeah, who would be silly enough to look at that. Rolling Eyes

+1

McCloskey is more than ready and I have no doubts that he would excel given the chance.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Stringer Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I'm agreeing with you. Throw him in with the Jamie Roberts who schooled another really talented young Irish player who actually has some experience and has more than two weeks trying to learn a defensive system. Plus McCloskey has loads of games playing with Murray and Sexton. It's a totally sensible gamble and shot in the dark in only the first game of a multi game competition.

Peter Stringer

Back to top Go down

Post by exile jack Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:52 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Forget the players. It is the coaching, the attacking gameplan is so bereft of creativity and stuck in 09 it is unreal.

Players look unable or unwilling to offload, we don't know how to put men into space only into contact.

Howley admitted it himself when he said that our attack is based on going through phases and creating mismatches in the defensive line. The thing is, most pro players of all sizes are fairly comfortable defending at any point of their defensive system, and when all we do is crab across, it makes it easy to defend. We need to be coaching our players to offload in contact and simple, basic draw and pass into space which we seem unable to do.

No disagreement from me on RobH but when Liam and JD continually run into contact you do wonder whether the top 2" is fully engaged.Admittedly they are not helped by RP's inability to create space but as he can't do it for Bath he's unlikely to do it for us.If he does next week i'll be the first to sing his praises.

exile jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:56 pm

Shifty wrote:I don't really see how Ireland can blame injuries while Wales aren't making too much of it.  Webb and Halfpenny are injured, Warburton, Liam Williams, and a few others are only back playing by a week or so since the World Cup.  Biggar went off early, and Anscombe broke down before the game.  

Hmmmm ...... are you sure it's the Irish that's making the excuses? Very Happy

Last edited by Munchkin on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Wales need an attack coach, same old smash up the middle and predictable.

Preistland did not ground the ball behind the goal line, missed two drop goals and Lloyd Williams comes on and puts up an up and under to put everyone offside giving 10 points away between them.

Credit both teams with so few penalties overall a much better game today

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Stats are funny - almost identical for the two teams in all counts

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Peter Stringer wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I'm agreeing with you. Throw him in with the Jamie Roberts who schooled another really talented young Irish player who actually has some experience and has more than two weeks trying to learn a defensive system. Plus  McCloskey has loads of games playing with Murray and Sexton. It's a totally sensible gamble and shot in the dark in only the first game of a multi game competition.

Although I appreciate the sarcasm, your attempt to come across as the sensible opinion here is largely built upon false pretences. Of course I am not referring to your rather funny impersonation of Peter Stringer... but you seem to have forgotten the fact that Robbie Henshaw came into the Ireland team playing out of position at the age of 21. In a complete makeshift midfield that had never been tested. In a position he has played a handful (if even) of games for Connacht. In fact, I don't think he had ever played there before the Ireland games and he still doesn't play there for Connacht. He was also returning from injury for this particular game and has played at 15 anytime he has been on the field for Connacht. As I have already said, despite doing a grand job at 12 he isn't actually as effective there. He is much better further out wide and is wasted as a bosh merchant 12.

McCloskey actually plays the bosh merchant role (with serious skills) week in week out and I haven't seen the guy physically bested at all. He is rather similar to Iain Henderson in that regard. Unlike Henshaw he has been playing at the top level in Europe as well. Of course there was a chance that he could have been manhandled by Roberts in the same way as Henshaw but the evidence would suggest this would be incredibly unlikely. He also has an understanding with Jared Payne in the midfield, so he actually does play frequently with some of the players that he will be combining with (unlike Henshaw).

Carry on with the sarcasm though, you do seem very funny. Laugh

Last edited by Rory_Gallagher on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:09 pm

Munchkin wrote:

I'll take the draw in Dublin. No shame in that, it's just sad weve knocked each other out of Grand slam contention in the first week! mad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:11 pm

Shifty wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

I'll take the draw in Dublin.  No shame in that, it's just sad weve knocked each other out of Grand slam contention in the first week! mad

Shifty - still waiting to hear who has been "blaming" injuries. Interesting that you have remained silent since being challenged on it.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Shifty wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

I'll take the draw in Dublin.  No shame in that, it's just sad weve knocked each other out of Grand slam contention in the first week! mad

Shifty - still waiting to hear who has been "blaming" injuries. Interesting that you have remained silent since being challenged on it.

It was said amongst the commentators at the end of the game on ITV, and by GavinDragon above, but he's a Welsh poster. Very Happy
I just think it was a 50/50 game and we cancelled each other out. those boys are going to be sore tomorrow.

Last edited by Shifty on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:14 pm

i reckon we will see a few changes for next week with the 6 day turnaround

that was brutally physical and direct

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:14 pm

2 questions

1. Why did Sexton kick so few times from hand when we were struggling to make ground?

2. Why did we kick for the corner on about 55 minutes when there was a fairly easy chance for Sexton to knock 3 over? About 40m out and very central.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:19 pm

GavinDragon wrote:Forget the players. It is the coaching, the attacking gameplan is so bereft of creativity and stuck in 09 it is unreal.

I think Quins backs coach has been schooling Howley over the phone or something, as we're actually using Roberts for more than just a crashball centre.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:20 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

I think Quins backs coach has been schooling Howley over the phone or something, as we're actually using Roberts for more than just a crashball centre.

Or maybe he's learned something different at Harlequins. He did well today.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:20 pm

theslosty wrote:2 questions

1. Why did Sexton kick so few times from hand when we were struggling to make ground?

2. Why did we kick for the corner on about 55 minutes when there was a fairly easy chance for Sexton to knock 3 over? About 40m out and very central.

The decision making was poor in this game.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Stringer Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Peter Stringer wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I'm agreeing with you. Throw him in with the Jamie Roberts who schooled another really talented young Irish player who actually has some experience and has more than two weeks trying to learn a defensive system. Plus  McCloskey has loads of games playing with Murray and Sexton. It's a totally sensible gamble and shot in the dark in only the first game of a multi game competition.

Although I appreciate the sarcasm, your attempt to come across as the sensible opinion here is largely built upon false pretences. Of course I am not referring to your rather funny impersonation of Peter Stringer... but you seem to have forgotten the fact that Robbie Henshaw came into the Ireland team playing out of position at the age of 21. In a complete makeshift midfield that had never been tested. In a position he has played a handful (if even) of games for Connacht. In fact, I don't think he had ever played there before the Ireland games and he still doesn't play there for Connacht. He was also returning from injury for this particular game and has played at 15 anytime he has been on the field for Connacht. As I have already said, despite doing a grand job at 12 he isn't actually as effective there. He is much better further out wide and is wasted as a bosh merchant 12.

McCloskey actually plays the bosh merchant role (with serious skills) week in week out and I haven't seen the guy physically bested at all. He is rather similar to Iain Henderson in that regard. Unlike Henshaw he has been playing at the top level in Europe as well. Of course there was a chance that he could have been manhandled by Roberts in the same way as Henshaw but the evidence would suggest this would be incredibly unlikely. He also has an understanding with Jared Payne in the midfield, so he actually does play frequently with some of the players that he will be combining with (unlike Henshaw).

Carry on with the sarcasm though, you do seem very funny. Laugh

Outrageous. I've never been funny in my life. Everyone knows I was the straight an to ROGs laugh a minute comedy.

I am now confused by my own sarcasm so I'll be straight with you Rory, as straight as a pass from me to Ronan 'the third Chuckle brother' O'Gara. I wouldn't have picked him against Wales given the wider circumstances of injuries, retirements and the opposition. But I hope he gets a run out soon, replacing any player who is not from Munster. I like McCloskey. He once holidayed in a caravan near Tralee where Munstermen of bygone days invented the Ulster fry. So he's OK in my book. Not the book I am currently writing as that's all about me you understand.

Also keep quoting me. I was quoted here during the World Cup a lot given my well known understanding of centre play, particularly my love for putting in big hits and general defensive play. I love to be quoted. It gives me that trouser tent feeling.

Peter Stringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next