The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

+83
Biltong
GavCanDance
GunsGerms
Comfort
aucklandlaurie
Newsilure
profitius
lostinwales
Dontheman2
fa0019
No 7&1/2
rainbow-warrior
The Great Aukster
SecretFly
tatterd
Cardiff Dave
nathan
englandglory4ever
dublin_dave
exile jack
greygoose
Exiledinborders
anaNg
R!skysports
sad_gimp
nobbled
VinceWLB
Engine#4
glamorganalun
stub
Sgt_Pooly
offload
Duty281
gog1992
wales606
Peter Stringer
TJ
Blueschief
Seagultaf
Sin é
BigTrevsbigmac
whocares
DirtyRucker7
majesticimperialman
stevetynant
Golden
PenfroPete
jimmyinthewell68
Kingshu
thebandwagonsociety
theslosty
Rory_Gallagher
irnbrew
geoff999rugby
Fanster
Breadvan
rapidsnowman
RiscaGame
Knowsit17
Gwlad
carpet baboon
RubyGuby
RuggerRadge2611
eirebilly
Pete330v2
bedfordwelsh
wayne
BamBam
True Raven
Luckless Pedestrian
GavinDragon
TightHEAD
Cyril
maestegmafia
rodders
Pot Hale
Marshes
munkian
Shifty
Notch
mikey_dragon
LordDowlais
George Carlin
87 posters

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 14 Empty 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 Jan 2016, 12:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 14 Irelan11 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 14 Wales_11
IRELAND v WALES
7 February 2016
KO: 15:00 GMT
Aviva Stadium, Dublin

Live on RTE, ITV, FR2, DMAX, BBC(H)

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Touch judges: [tbc]
Television match official: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

123 Played 123
52 Won 67
4 Drawn 4
67 Lost 52
1,365 Points 1,461

B. Recent Form

29 August 2015
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
10 – 16 to Wales

8 August 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
21 – 35 to Ireland

14 March 2015
23 – 16 to Wales

8 February 2014
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
26 – 3 to Ireland

2 February 2013
22 – 30 to Ireland

C. Teams

IRELAND
6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 14 Michae11
S Zebo; A Trimble, J Payne, R Henshaw, K Earls; J Sexton, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best (capt), N White; D Toner, M McCarthy; CJ Stander, T O’Donnell, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, J Cronin, T Furlong, D Ryan, R Ruddock, K Marmion, I Madigan, D Kearney.

WALES
6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 14 Anthon11
G Anscombe; G North, J Davies, J Roberts, T James; D Biggar, G Davies; R Evans, S Baldwin, S Lee, L Charteris, A-W Jones, S Warburton (capt), J Tipuric, T Faletau.

Replacements: K Owens, G Jenkins, T Francis, B Davies, D Lydiate, L Williams, R Priestland, A Cuthbert

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 14 Empty Re: 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

Post by Notch Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:38 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Both sets of fans seem disappointed so which set are deluding themselves (if any):

(1) The ones who think they blew a 13-0 lead after 15 minutes or
(2) The ones who for the last 65 minutes were 16-3 up and dominating the scrums only to lose the win to a brain fart by Lloyd Williams.

I'll now stand back and watch the reasoned debate unfold thumbsup 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 14 1347041234

Sorry thats not how I see the game at all. Ireland were in the ascendancy for the first 30 minutes, Wales came back and dominated for the next 20 or 30 minutes and then from that point on it was a complete stalemate.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 14 Empty Re: 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:41 pm

Notch wrote:
SecretFly wrote:That's obviously coz Kiss wanted defence prioritised Wink  

You can't be attacking as you're sitting back on defence duty...time and physics doesn't allow both to happen at the same time through an 80 minutes.  
Kiss's defensive mindset seems to have been concentrated on defence at it's most elementary...to defend you must stop the ball carrier and quickly assume defensive position again for the next defensive sequence.... repeat over and over and keep 'em owth!

But that requires a lot of energy and concentration on one aspect with players afraid to be caught out in high demand defensive duty..

Interesting that since Kiss took over at Ulster his philosophy has been attack, attack, attack and attack some more. Schmidt also prioritised attack when he was coaching at provincial level. I sound like a broken record at this point, but imagine if we had a summer Six Nations with coaches given lots of time to work with their squad in the build-up.

He's learning a new trade. God bless him in his efforts Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:43 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Both sets of fans seem disappointed so which set are deluding themselves (if any):

(1) The ones who think they blew a 13-0 lead after 15 minutes or
(2) The ones who for the last 65 minutes were 16-3 up and dominating the scrums only to lose the win to a brain fart by Lloyd Williams.

I'll now stand back and watch the reasoned debate unfold thumbsup 6N 2016: Ireland v Wales, 7 February - Page 14 1347041234

The Favourites lost a GS. The no hopers kept alive their slim hopes of three in a row.

Let the coin toss decide where the smiles are.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:20 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:Jesus .Mike I'm irish and both teams could have been pinged off the park at ruck time. Holding on and hands in all over the place. Do calm down

Yeah probably. I just didn't happen to notice my team doing it that often Wink. It is basically the Irish game plan and it used to work well for them.

I think getting away with whatever the ref let's you is everyone's game plan

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:Jesus .Mike I'm irish and both teams could have been pinged off the park at ruck time. Holding on and hands in all over the place. Do calm down

Yeah probably. I just didn't happen to notice my team doing it that often Wink. It is basically the Irish game plan and it used to work well for them.

I think getting away with whatever the ref let's you is everyone's game plan

Yeah, but more specifically I was alluding to the breakdown where Irish tactics are to slow it down whatever way they can. I thought too often they were holding onto our players on the ground and not rolling away. It reminded me of the pro12 when the officiating standard was lower than it is now. All teams will do it, but it seems ingrained into the provincial teams of Ireland, and they're also better than most teams at doing it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsilure Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:49 pm

The ref has been praised for the low penalty count and the ball in play time. But, I thought his failure to police the mauls was what led to the almost stalemate situation, that large parts of the match seemed to be, because neither side could get the ball away from the rucks fast enough. I didn't think this was helped on the Welsh side by GD being slow to get the ball away.

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:30 pm

From where I sit the ref was completely consistent but he allowed the team who took the ball into contact longer to get it away that some refs would thus I thought there should have been more turnovers given. HOwever he was consistent and that is all you can ask.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:40 pm

Garcès had a decent game I thought. He allowed the game to flow more than he usually does and that led to a number of things missed, a number of things from both sides so all's fair Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:47 pm

I thought he was good and fair for both sides. However, him letting the game flow and not blowing up all of the times: isn't that a bit Nigel Owens-esque, and therefore frowned upon on these boards? Nigel seems to be vilified for letting things go for the sake of an open and flowing game.

And no, I'm not just 'sticking up for Nigel 'cos he's welsh'. You buggers. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:49 pm

Griff wrote:I thought he was good and fair for both sides. However, him letting the game flow and not blowing up all of the times: isn't that a bit Nigel Owens-esque, and therefore frowned upon on these boards? Nigel seems to be vilified for letting things go for the sake of an open and flowing game.

And no, I'm not just 'sticking up for Nigel 'cos he's welsh'. You buggers. Very Happy

Swings and Roundabouts Griff Swings and Roundabouts thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:51 pm

For me he was consistent. Which is all I ask

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:02 pm

I'd have preferred Nigel. Nigel is de bestest.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:09 pm

SecretFly wrote:I'd have preferred Nigel.  Nigel is de bestest.....

Good to see you back Fly, I enjoy posts with a bit of misschiff in them.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:16 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Wink Here for a limited run only, Laurie. Tickets still available for the really good seats and reasonably priced!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:20 pm

SecretFly wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Wink Here for a limited run only, Laurie.  Tickets still available for the really good seats and reasonably priced!

Count me in, I'll get mine online.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:21 pm

SecretFly wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Wink Here for a limited run only, Laurie.  Tickets still available for the really good seats and reasonably priced!

Thank feck for that! Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:22 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

Good to see him back? Was he even gone??  angel  ... Run[/quote]
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:24 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Premium rate behind-the-pillar ticket for you Luckless..... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:25 pm

rodders wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Good to see him back? Was he even gone??  angel  ... Run
[/quote]

I know...I know! My presence radiates ,long after I'm gone.... Magnetism Cool I don't flaunt it though....... Yahoo Hug Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:26 pm

SecretFly wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

Premium rate behind-the-pillar ticket for you Luckless..... Wink

Ah, my usual spot!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:59 pm

only just came on here since the game.....

Thought we were going to get blown away when we went 13-0 down, we had been poor but were much improved the moment Biggar went off (to be fair he took the knock in the first play).

Positives
Rob Evans - just cemented himself as no.1 for me, solid display all round and did very well in the scrum.
Faletau - Havent seen him play with that stability in a while.
Roberts - dont need to say any more
Scrum - very strong, got the push on after the first few and didnt ever look back

Negative
Tipuric - pretty anonymous for me, I'm a huge fan and always keep an eye out, I was disappointed.
Davies - first game at this intensity in a long time, hasnt played much recently? it showed, his lack of speed getting the ball away from the breakdown was so frustating.
Tom James - showed nothing in attack, although I'd take him over Cuthbert everyday of the week right now.
Biggar - daaaaayum
Welsh kick chase - DID WE EVEN CHASE ANY OF OUR LONG KICKS AT ANY SORT OF PACE EVEN ONCE?! DSFHJ(I"$£TL<

Other bits:
Earls tip tackles - possible yellow (never a red), both were penaltys at least (going by the wording of the law).
Breakdown - was a complete mess imo, both sides could complain about a number of things but overall it evened out into chaos.
Taking chances - Wales left 9 very kickable points out on the field, something we're not known for doing. We managed to create some 2 on 1s in the wide channels pretty early but somehow managed to end up with forwards taking the ball and knocking on. Our attacking philospophy is to create mismatches, but not derisory ones surely.

Obivously very wales based, Im welsh.

Ireland flew out of the blocks, died down and were dogged but can be a lot better than that, missing faces showed their value! They'll be a lot better once some players return no doubt, Wales now need to find something other than Biggars kick chase to get us up the field (and we know its not going to be Lloyd Williams box kicks.....)

Overall I'd score the teams as 6/10 after ropund 1

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:04 pm

and apologies for my terrible spelling there, rushed typing will never make you look intelligent.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:13 pm

Ireland tend to do worse against Lydiate plays. Glad it was Tipuruc as good as he is because Ireland didn't have much trouble with the Wales back row on Saturday in my opinion.

Teams are/were fairly even so probably a fair result. Don't buy this "it wasn't Irelands first team" crap. It was.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:14 pm

Comfort wrote:only just came on here since the game.....

Thought we were going to get blown away when we went 13-0 down, we had been poor but were much improved the moment Biggar went off (to be fair he took the knock in the first play).

Positives
Rob Evans - just cemented himself as no.1 for me, solid display all round and did very well in the scrum.
Faletau - Havent seen him play with that stability in a while.
Roberts - dont need to say any more
Scrum - very strong, got the push on after the first few and didnt ever look back

Negative
Tipuric - pretty anonymous for me, I'm a huge fan and always keep an eye out, I was disappointed.
Davies - first game at this intensity in a long time, hasnt played much recently? it showed, his lack of speed getting the ball away from the breakdown was so frustating.
Tom James - showed nothing in attack, although I'd take him over Cuthbert everyday of the week right now.
Biggar - daaaaayum
Welsh kick chase - DID WE EVEN CHASE ANY OF OUR LONG KICKS AT ANY SORT OF PACE EVEN ONCE?! DSFHJ(I"$£TL<

Other bits:
Earls tip tackles - possible yellow (never a red), both were penaltys at least (going by the wording of the law).
Breakdown - was a complete mess imo, both sides could complain about a number of things but overall it evened out into chaos.
Taking chances - Wales left 9 very kickable points out on the field, something we're not known for doing. We managed to create some 2 on 1s in the wide channels pretty early but somehow managed to end up with forwards taking the ball and knocking on. Our attacking philospophy is to create mismatches, but not derisory ones surely.

Obivously very wales based, Im welsh.

Ireland flew out of the blocks, died down and were dogged but can be a lot better than that, missing faces showed their value! They'll be a lot better once some players return no doubt, Wales now need to find something other than Biggars kick chase to get us up the field (and we know its not going to be Lloyd Williams box kicks.....)

Overall I'd score the teams as 6/10 after ropund 1

And no mention of Warburton - Maybe he did the hard yards but I thought he was anonymous

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:19 pm

Warburton had a strange game. He looked as fresh as a daisy when being interviewed after the game and yet made all the correct gestures that it was a real heavy duty heavy breather contest.

Was too busy looking at Ireland to keep an eye on his full contribution.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:19 pm

Ireland may not have missed any kicks but on about the 55th minute we turned down a fairly easy penalty chance to go down the line. This was a mistake IMO.

I think Ireland also missed more attacking chances through missed passes and were slightly more incisive than Wales. Glad Barnes didn't ref though as it would have been a 6-12 point Wales win if he had and Earls would have received a yellow card. Garces is a much better fairer ref.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:41 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Ireland tend to do worse against Lydiate plays. Glad it was Tipuruc as good as he is because Ireland didn't have much trouble with the Wales back row on Saturday in my opinion.

Teams are/were fairly even so probably a fair result. Don't buy this "it wasn't Irelands first team" crap. It was.

We were quite clearly down to the bare bones in the tight five. That isn't "crap". It is also partly where we lost the game as the scrum was largely bullied where we would usually have the advantage.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:44 pm

Did anyone take a peak at the new rankings? After that weekend.... France jump to 2nd and Wales plunge to 10th..... Shocked

Rollercoaster ride!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:52 pm

SecretFly wrote:Did anyone take a peak at the new rankings?  After that weekend.... France jump to 2nd and Wales plunge to 10th..... Shocked  

Rollercoaster ride!

That's the women's rankings.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:59 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Ireland tend to do worse against Lydiate plays. Glad it was Tipuruc as good as he is because Ireland didn't have much trouble with the Wales back row on Saturday in my opinion.

We were quite clearly down to the bare bones in the tight five. That isn't "crap". It is also partly where we lost the game as the scrum was largely bullied where we would usually have the advantage.

It was our best team available. But stick Mike Ross or Marty Moore and Iain Henderson into that tight five and we'd be cooking on gas- seriously would make a huge difference. Backrow was also hit by injuries but I thought Stander and O'Donnell more than stood up to be counted so the depth held out there.

We managed to neutralise everything they threw at us in attack bar a pick and drive off a 5m scrum where they just got a platform that was irresistible, so I think those injuries proved as costly as we feared they would before the game.

Last edited by Notch on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:59 pm

Is it??? I was wondering how the hell that could happen... Glad that's sorted...All is right with the world again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 6:02 pm

Everyone knows what 'first team' means. That wasn't Ireland's first team. It might prove to be close to a future Ireland first team but it wasn't on the day. Ireland's 'best' team is of course a subject up for debate at any time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:05 pm

SecretFly wrote:Everyone knows what 'first team' means.  That wasn't Ireland's first team.  It might prove to be close to a future Ireland first team but it wasn't on the day.  Ireland's 'best' team is of course a subject up for debate at any time.

We know what first team means, but when is the last time you saw the 'first team' actually all out on the pitch together? Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:40 pm

Notch wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Everyone knows what 'first team' means.  That wasn't Ireland's first team.  It might prove to be close to a future Ireland first team but it wasn't on the day.  Ireland's 'best' team is of course a subject up for debate at any time.

We know what first team means, but when is the last time you saw the 'first team' actually all out on the pitch together? Wink

I thought considering the lads missing that was a decent team. Good depth there. The lads on only a few caps stood up very well. Tommy O looks a cracking player. And there's more to come. A lot of talented young lads not even in the squad.

Nice place to be.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:38 pm

Yeah it is, but I can't see us winning the championship this year. Beating France, Scotland and Italy is a must- winning at Twickenham will be really, really hard with the aforementioned problems in the tight five.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:29 pm

I don't really want to blame Priestland, but he should never have taken those drop goals on. They were both rushed and not off great set ups. Plus Ireland would have had time to play again, even if he had nailed the second.

Miffed as to why Aled Davies wasn't in the 23 when he seems to be playing more for Scarlets? Lydiate is also a cert next week. I assume Tipuric drops down to the bench again.

Was also pretty annoyed with us either trying to go wide too early, or when it was on we made a hash of things. Baldwin's drop was inexcusable, as were the couple of occasions we didn't give one more pass. There were a few times that we just aimlessly moved the ball along the line, hardly engaging defenders. What is the point in Cement Head mentioning Amos doesn't have great speed, when in reality a Welsh wing seldom gets to use it?

Fair play to Faletau for finishing his try. I wasn't too happy when he went for it, as I thought he'd messed it up.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:34 pm

Risca we're just mechanical and predictable behind and when we worked an overlap or space Liam Williams chose not to pass. Very poor performance across the back line what happened to North bursting through the centre it's all just I table and easy to defend against thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 09 Feb 2016, 8:30 am

Notch wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

It was our best team available. But stick Mike Ross or Marty Moore and Iain Henderson into that tight five and we'd be cooking on gas- seriously would make a huge difference. Backrow was also hit by injuries but I thought Stander and O'Donnell more than stood up to be counted so the depth held out there.

We managed to neutralise everything they threw at us in attack bar a pick and drive off a 5m scrum where they just got a platform that was irresistible, so I think those injuries proved as costly as we feared they would before the game.

I'm not convinced that Ross, Moore or Henderson would have made that much difference. Our tight five didn't do that bad. Yes Wales were better but not that much better. We didn't lose any scrums against the head for example.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 09 Feb 2016, 8:32 am

Notch wrote:

Exactly, there is no such thing as a first team. However, what we saw on Saturday is that Schmidt can mould a bunch of good internationals into a strong well organised unit that can compete with really good teams like Wales.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 09 Feb 2016, 9:30 am

GunsGerms wrote:
I'm not convinced that Ross, Moore or Henderson would have made that much difference. Our tight five didn't do that bad. Yes Wales were better but not that much better. We didn't lose any scrums against the head for example.

Well they'd need to do better!

Sure Wales try came directly from their scrum dominance and we conceded several scrum penalties. The line out went ok but we couldn't get the maul working at all, which was a big weapon a few years ago.

O'Connell is a massive loss and we really lack a player to lead the pack, which was obvious on Sunday. I think if he was there we'd have won that game.

The other players really weren't able to deal with the momentum shift to Wales and were just playing by numbers is my worry - not panicking is one thing but a lack of urgency and awareness that the game is slipping away is not good either. There was just too much hanging on by Ireland and no real attempt to change tactics or up the gears to change the flow of the game, which for 50 min was in Wales favor.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GavCanDance Tue 09 Feb 2016, 10:02 am

Totally agree. I have yet to see the Tips/Warbs combo work effectively, sadly. Chopper and Warbs though can be devastating!

GavCanDance

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 09 Feb 2016, 10:03 am

I have only just come back from beautiful Ireland, and I must say, that I am very frustrated with the Welsh performance, and the general consensus I got whilst talking to people over there was that Ireland threw the game away from a commanding position, and I have to admit I agree.

Every time a Welsh player had the ball, the remit was to run AT the oppositions defender, not around him, not passed him, but AT him. There were no pre-planned backs move, there was no inside shoulder running, there were no angles being made, just the same old bish bash bosh.

Have we not learned anything from the Australia game at the WC. I was sat in the stadium pulling my hair out, we would make 5 yards forward and go 10 yards backwards, Rob Howley is clueless.

All this talk about a more expansive tactic from Wales was just a load of bollox, I must say though, our forwards had the Irish forwards on toast, it's just our back play is so predictable, on contrast, players like Sexton and Earls were slipping passes and finding space all the time, Wales are not evolving with the times sadly.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 09 Feb 2016, 10:32 am

LordDowlais wrote:Every time a Welsh player had the ball, the remit was to run AT the oppositions defender, not around him, not passed him, but AT him.

Nothing wrong with that, provided the player then passes once the tackler is committed. We hardly ever saw that, either. There's no use going wide if you pass so early, having committed no one, that the defence can drift.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Feb 2016, 10:44 am

LordDowlais wrote:Every time a Welsh player had the ball, the remit was to run AT the oppositions defender, not around him, not passed him, but AT him.

Nothing wrong with that, provided the player then passes once the tackler is committed. We hardly ever saw that, either. There's no use going wide if you pass so early, having committed no one, that the defence can drift.

Exactly. I commented elsewhere that Wales were back to their famous 'drift attack'. Pass along the line far to early and then allow a drift defence to gang up on the winger. It's what you teach kids not to do! Draw the man, make him commit. Also Roberts, although having an awesome game, threw some monster miss-passes and cut out any overlaps we had. Good to see him passing though!

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 09 Feb 2016, 10:47 am

We need to run into space more often not just at the oncoming defender FFS - We need a world class backs coach not Howley thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 09 Feb 2016, 10:49 am

RubyGuby wrote:We need to run into space more often not just at the oncoming defender FFS - We need a world class backs coach not Howley thumbsup

This 100%. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Feb 2016, 11:04 am

GunsGerms wrote:I'm not convinced that Ross, Moore or Henderson would have made that much difference. Our tight five didn't do that bad. Yes Wales were better but not that much better. We didn't lose any scrums against the head for example.

We managed to fix the scrum but there was a 10-minute period where it just creaked badly and they got, I think, 10 points in that period. In a game like this one, thats enough to cost you a win...

Maybe just having a bit more experience at tight head would have been enough.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 09 Feb 2016, 11:10 am

Notch wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:I'm not convinced that Ross, Moore or Henderson would have made that much difference. Our tight five didn't do that bad. Yes Wales were better but not that much better. We didn't lose any scrums against the head for example.

We managed to fix the scrum but there was a 10-minute period where it just creaked badly and they got, I think, 10 points in that period. In a game like this one, thats enough to cost you a win...

Maybe just having a bit more experience at tight head would have been enough.

Then welsh wisdom prevailed and we took off the dominant scrum - it was a long trip and you want to give the others a run Whistle Headscratch

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 09 Feb 2016, 11:15 am

That's true! But even before that we weren't being bullied as much as we were towards the end of that first half.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 09 Feb 2016, 11:51 am

Notch wrote:That's true! But even before that we weren't being bullied as much as we were towards the end of that first half.

That's because we replace White with Furlong

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next