The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England in Bangladesh and India - The Winter Tours thread

+26
dyrewolfe
Born Slippy
robbo277
dummy_half
KO-KING
msp83
Mad for Chelsea
Hammersmith harrier
SimonofSurrey
Maine man
sirfredperry
VTR
LivinginItaly
KP_fan
wisden
Jetty
James100
jimbohammers
JDizzle
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
Mat
alfie
Gooseberry
LondonTiger
Good Golly I'm Olly
30 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

England in Bangladesh and India - The Winter Tours thread - Page 3 Empty England in Bangladesh and India - The Winter Tours thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 29 Aug 2016, 10:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

A bit early, but with squads due to be announced next week thought I'd start a thread to collate all winter tours news...

Firstly it appears the Bangladesh tour will go ahead despite security concerns. I for one am glad of this, gives England a chance to acclimatise to Asian conditions against an improving Bangladesh outfit (especially as England have no planned tour matches in India)

Secondly - it appears Haseeb Hameed will be getting the nod for Bangladesh according to Nick Hoult - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016/08/29/england-plan-to-call-up-teenage-opener-haseeb-hameed-for-banglad/

Peoples initial thoughts on that?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England in Bangladesh and India - The Winter Tours thread - Page 3 Empty Re: England in Bangladesh and India - The Winter Tours thread

Post by Gooseberry Fri 16 Sep 2016, 3:27 pm

alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:I so hope the rumours about Batty are right, not least to see Goose's reaction. Smile

Nothing yet from Goose Smile

If you're expecting outrage over Batty vs Leach see above

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

England in Bangladesh and India - The Winter Tours thread - Page 3 Empty Re: England in Bangladesh and India - The Winter Tours thread

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Sep 2016, 3:43 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
alfie wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:I so hope the rumours about Batty are right, not least to see Goose's reaction. Smile

Nah, I don't really associate you with outrage. However, you need to understand that people have bought tickets expecting some more and new anti-Surrey jibes today from your goodself. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 16 Sep 2016, 6:02 pm

I'd expect the First Test team to look something like: Cook, Hameed, Root, Ali (rumoured he will bat 4), Bairstow, Stokes, Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Batty (as Moeen will be focusing on his batting), Anderson.

Perhaps a bit light on batting? But Ballance has hardly set the world on fire since his return. I think Hameed is nailed on to play - you'd let him go with the Lions otherwise. Whereas Duckett has served his time a bit more, and would benefit more from the experience of being on tour.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sat 17 Sep 2016, 11:25 pm

I'd like to see Butler back keeping wicket. Move Bairstow up the order to replace Vince. Hameed to open. To get Rashid in the team I'd drop Ballance. My XI would be Cook, Hameed, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Buttler, Rashid, Woakes, Broad, Anderson.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 19 Sep 2016, 9:03 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:
alfie wrote:

Nah, I don't really associate you with outrage. However, you need to understand that people have bought tickets expecting some more and new anti-Surrey jibes today from your goodself. Very Happy

Its the outrageous over hyping of Surrey players rather than the team or County that I like to mock.

That said the A317 at Weybridge is a disgrace.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon 19 Sep 2016, 10:55 am

My team would be
cook, hameed, Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Anderson.

If batty is to play he should replace either Ali or Rashid. I don't see the point of playing 3 spinners. You are effectively saying that at least one is not good enough.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 19 Sep 2016, 2:01 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:My team would be
cook, hameed, Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Woakes, Rashid, Broad, Anderson.

If batty is to play he should replace either Ali or Rashid. I don't see the point of playing 3 spinners. You are effectively saying that at least one is not good enough.

Or in Englands case, 3

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Mon 26 Sep 2016, 1:08 am

Not long now.. ODI squad leave on Thursday.
Last time we were there in 2010 we only played one spinner in two ODIs Tredwell got 1 game 10-0-52-0. Won all 3 games. I bet you this time we play Ali, Rashid and Dawson.

Cook Kieswetter Pietersen Collingwood Morgan Wright Bresnan Prior Swann Shahzad and Plunkett.

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:57 pm

Anderson out of the Bangladesh tests injured

Beginning to fear we're seeing the end of his career rapidly approaching with these injuries now piling up
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 28 Sep 2016, 11:31 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Anderson out of the Bangladesh tests injured

Beginning to fear we're seeing the end of his career rapidly approaching with these injuries now piling up

C'mon Gooseberry, who gets Anderson's place: Sam or Tom Curran? Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 29 Sep 2016, 9:11 am

Mark Wood now out of the tour as well with a reoccurrence of his ankle problem

Guy can't catch a break injury wise
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:17 am

Anderson being out of Bangladesh series isn't a huge blow IMO...Need him fit for India, but IMO we have enough bowling cover to cover Jimmy.... Wood being out is a bigger blow, for me particuarly in the sub-continent, his extra pace would make the difference on those flat slow pitches

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:24 am

Ball and Finn called up as replacements. Chris Jordan last seen staring forlornly at his phone waiting for it ring Very Happy

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Thu 29 Sep 2016, 10:26 am

Im happy with those guys being called up, think Finn is more likely to get the nod, but i like Ball, he's a very useful bowler

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 29 Sep 2016, 12:59 pm

All joking aside (bravo Gooseberry for not biting... Wink, these injuries and Ball's call up put a potentially huge extra burden on the Curran brothers - combined age 39 - on the Lions Tour. It will be interesting to see how they and our other youngsters get on against not necessarily the strongest opposition, but in surroundings where the full England Team traditionally have struggled big time.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:09 pm

Ill stick to gags about Willey Wood and Ball.

Wheres Plunkett in all this, im losing track.
England do have a pretty big pool of test seamers who are much of a muchness these days. Missing Anderson is a blow but Im not sure his record is the sub continent is anything special. Its the players who can force reverse swing with raw pace through the air who tend to fair better, so Ball may have a real chance to make a mark.
Finn ...just keeps getting chances.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Fri 30 Sep 2016, 2:22 am

Gooseberry wrote:Ill stick to gags about Willey Wood and Ball.

Wheres Plunkett in all this, im losing track.
England do have a pretty big pool of test seamers who are much of a muchness these days. Missing Anderson is a blow but Im not sure his record is the sub continent is anything special. Its the players who can force reverse swing with raw pace through the air who tend to fair better, so Ball may have a real chance to make a mark.
Finn ...just keeps getting chances.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/565808.html

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 30 Sep 2016, 9:02 am

Youre right, we should recall panessar
:p

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Fri 30 Sep 2016, 3:28 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Youre right, we should recall panessar
:p

Laugh

Batty, Ali and Rashid, who will pick up the most wickets? I am sure England will play 3 spinners. Maybe Stokes, Woakes and Broad will get more wickets in Bangladesh.

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri 30 Sep 2016, 8:15 pm

'Batty, Ali and Rashid, who will pick up the most wickets?'

Batty for guile, Ali to nip the odd one out when we need it, for wickets at a cost, but...
Ansari is probably the best attacking and most threatening option. Having seen him and Batty in the flesh this season, and the other two on the telly, Ansari - in principle - seems to have the greatest variation and threat.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri 30 Sep 2016, 8:16 pm

...sorry Rashid for wickets at a cost [etc]

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 01 Oct 2016, 10:31 am

I suppose , given the enforced absence of Anderson and Wood and the plethora of allrounders in the squad , one could even include four spinners :

Cook Hameed Root Ali Stokes Bairstow Woakes Ansari Rashid Broad Batty. Seems a bit like overkill but on the other hand it doesn't look exactly short on batting ...

I think it more likely that an extra batsman will play as I would imagine three of each will be considered sufficient : in a way the loss of Anderson might make selection easier?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 04 Oct 2016, 5:33 pm

Stand-in skipper Buttler guides England home in warm up game

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Tue 04 Oct 2016, 6:01 pm

both teams scoring 300 in bangladesh is a good effort, good work out as well for the side...a competitive warm up fixture, good work out for the side, and a good victory

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 04 Oct 2016, 7:52 pm

Well, at least it doesn't look like the captaincy weighed too heavily on Buttler's batting...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Oct 2016, 10:22 pm

Why didn't Duckett open...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 05 Oct 2016, 3:38 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Why didn't Duckett open...

Perhaps because:

a) He tends not to for Northants and Lions
b) He is being viewed as a genuine option in the middle(ish) order, whereas Vince is viewed as a stop gap until Hales returns.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 05 Oct 2016, 9:39 pm

Because Vince is actually an opener in this form of the game.... 48 off 39 balls too

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Oct 2016, 9:08 am

Ball and Duckett make their debuts as England win the toss and bat
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Oct 2016, 10:30 am

Needless run out from Bairstow has England struggling at 62-3 after a decent start from Roy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Oct 2016, 10:41 am

Duckett's wrists >>>>>
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 07 Oct 2016, 11:29 am

Good to see Stokes playing an innings of substance today - has underachieved hugely with the bat so far in his ODI career - high score of only 75 after 45 matches! Perhaps he can better that today

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Oct 2016, 11:44 am

Dominic Cork is an abysmal abysmal commentator
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Oct 2016, 11:48 am

Stokes finally delivering in ODI's, 3 50's in a row now, with his talent he should be the talisman of the team.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Oct 2016, 11:49 am

Exceptional partnership this from Stokes and Duckett

England with a real chance to make 300+ here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 07 Oct 2016, 12:04 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Stokes finally delivering in ODI's, 3 50's in a row now, with his talent he should be the talisman of the team.

That's a good spot - I've just realised his best score before today was on his previous appearance. The game before that was one short of his top score at the time. So a run of scores of 69, 75, 89 and counting today

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Oct 2016, 12:11 pm

VTR wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Stokes finally delivering in ODI's, 3 50's in a row now, with his talent he should be the talisman of the team.

That's a good spot - I've just realised his best score before today was on his previous appearance. The game before that was one short of his top score at the time. So  a run of scores of 69, 75, 89 and counting today

This is a guy who's blasted 259 off 198 balls in test cricket as well as 100 off 85 balls at Lords, should be doing so much better.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 07 Oct 2016, 12:19 pm

Credit to Bayliss/Farbrace for persisting with him at 5 despite the underwhelming record. He should never have been down at 7.

Duckett out - plenty of promise shown for a first innings, read the situation well.

Of course Buttler coming in not the worst thing, as Duckett was beginning to look shattered (he does play for Northants...), and JB is JB!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 07 Oct 2016, 12:54 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
VTR wrote:

That's a good spot - I've just realised his best score before today was on his previous appearance. The game before that was one short of his top score at the time. So  a run of scores of 69, 75, 89 and counting today

This is a guy who's blasted 259 off 198 balls in test cricket as well as 100 off 85 balls at Lords, should be doing so much better.

Its easy to forget he was pretty poor in all forms till fairly recently

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 07 Oct 2016, 12:59 pm

Buttler 50 off 33 balls is helping here - what a fantastic ODI player he has become

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 07 Oct 2016, 1:00 pm

That Buttler lad has potential, they should get him in the England side.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

VTR wrote:Buttler 50 off 33 balls is helping here - what a fantastic ODI player he has become

Utterly ridiculous player - that six to bring up his fifty is verging on not being fair.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 07 Oct 2016, 1:04 pm

Indeed - what a nightmare he must be to bowl at, he can hit pretty much anything for 6

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 07 Oct 2016, 1:06 pm

Stokes hopefully beginning to show the value in persisting with players if you think they will succeed at this level, even if their initial returns are underwhelming. You could make the same case for Hales (in ODIs), Roy, and indeed Buttler himself whose initial forays into limited overs cricket were pretty poor.

Speaking of Buttler, he really is a special player. The ability to somehow flick a switch and then just hit everything to the boundary is remarkable. Fine knock from him yet again here.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 07 Oct 2016, 1:10 pm

I think all Buttler needs now is a cheesy nickname like "The Big Show" and we've got the complete player

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 07 Oct 2016, 1:10 pm

Good last over from Shakib, though 309 feels like a good score on this pitch. It may quicken up under lights which should make the chase easier, but Stokes, Duckett and Buttler have done well here.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 07 Oct 2016, 1:10 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Stokes hopefully beginning to show the value in persisting with players if you think they will succeed at this level, even if their initial returns are underwhelming. You could make the same case for Hales (in ODIs), Roy, and indeed Buttler himself whose initial forays into limited overs cricket were pretty poor.

Speaking of Buttler, he really is a special player. The ability to somehow flick a switch and then just hit everything to the boundary is remarkable. Fine knock from him yet again here.

Add Woakes to that too who had a number of false starts to his international career.

Damp squib last over there but still Buttlers blast has turned this into a solid target.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 07 Oct 2016, 2:49 pm

Just catching on to the series. Good total on the board from England. Stokes with his first ODI hundred, runs for Buttler and young Ducket. Bit surprised that Ducket didn't open. If he has been an opener by nature and is likely to open even in tests and is someone who can go after the bowling from the outset, why did he bat a position down for someone like Vince who is not an all-format opener in any case?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 07 Oct 2016, 2:51 pm

Ball striking twice for England as Bangladesh are losing their way in the chase....... At 82-2, they need a partnership, and they need to keep up with the RRR too.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 07 Oct 2016, 2:55 pm

I thought Duckett batted 3 or 4 for Northants generally? Certainly in the 50 over game he has been. I think England see him as a middle-order player, more a replacement for Vince in tests than for Hales (suspect Hameed will be given the opener slot). From what I've seen it's a sensible call, his strength seems to be in working the ball around against the spinners, in the Root/Taylor mode.

Good work from Willey just then to get rid of Shabbir.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next