The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

+61
Fiddler
exileray
Hood83
Hazel Sapling
RuggerRadge2611
mikey_dragon
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
lostinwales
mid_gen
Rory_Gallagher
prop_lyd
Cumbrian
BigGee
Smudge21
RiscaGame
propdavid_london
Geordie
Sgt_Pooly
formerly known as Sam
Scottrf
king_carlos
LondonTiger
Bathite
Fluxy
englishborn
Welly
beshocked
rosbif
sensisball
yappysnap
Recwatcher16
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ScarletSpiderman
Gooseberry
cascough
munkian
aucklandlaurie
BamBam
Pete330v2
St John The Enforcer
Margin_Walker
WELL-PAST-IT
carpet baboon
BigTrevsbigmac
Tattie Scones RRN
Rugby Fan
demosthenes
SirJohnnyEnglish
ChequeredJersey
TheMildlyFranticLlama
B91212
whocares
HongKongCherry
No 7&1/2
EWT Spoons
SirBurger
nathan
InjuredYetAgain
geoff999rugby
stnick88
65 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 20 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by stnick88 Tue 14 Feb 2017, 2:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gordon Reid is off to Irish.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 20 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jul 2017, 1:08 pm

So are we there is not going to be a DOR and MOC will have a direct coaching resposnibility with the first team?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 20 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by Welly Fri 21 Jul 2017, 1:43 pm

Gooseberry wrote:So are we there is not going to be a DOR and MOC will have a direct coaching resposnibility with the first team?

Yes and Yes

Gylnn will be head of rugby operations.

MOC - Head coach (Basically focuses only on the first team stuff).

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:04 pm

Big rumours of Biggar to Saints.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:06 pm

Would be a fantastic signing if they pull that off.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:09 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Would be a fantastic signing if they pull that off.

Not sure it would get their attack firing - North has certainly stalled there, wish they both went to more attack minded clubs wherever that might be.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:10 pm

They might be more reliant on their backs this season after losing the easy yards that Picamoles made

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Jul 2017, 2:21 pm

I'm just thinking they're crying out for a top class 10. He's miles better than myler and will allow mallinder a run at 12 or even 15.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Jul 2017, 3:14 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I'm just thinking they're crying out for a top class 10. He's miles better than myler  and will allow mallinder  a run at 12 or even 15.

I'm not a fan of Myler at 15, he just doesn't seem as much of a threat and struggles positionally. If he can sort his shoulder out he has all the abilities required to make an international level 12 in a year or so.

North has stalled at Saints. He's far too keen to hug his wing and only leave it for set plays. His concussion issues have knocked his confidence a little also. For me North needs to study tapes of Ashton and look to roam with the attack. Of he gets in the habit of breaking off of people's shoulders he'll start breaking try scoring records because you aren't stopping him at full speed going through a gap.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Jul 2017, 3:19 pm

If he gets the run to properly learn the role I think he could be very good there. Has all the talent for it. I'm thinking alo of the young guy there at saints whose name.is escaping me but want to say Stephenson? Know you typed.myler but assuming it's mallinder you meant especially after the tackling comment.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Jul 2017, 3:59 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:If he gets the run to properly learn the role I think he could be very good there. Has all the talent for it. I'm thinking alo of the young guy there at saints whose name.is escaping me but want to say Stephenson? Know you typed.myler but assuming it's mallinder you meant especially after the tackling comment.

I did mean Mallinder (I clearly don't multi task well in warm weather). I don't think it's necessary to crowbar a natural footballer like Mallinder into the 15 shirt, if he'd taken to the position ala Jordie Barrett then great but he hasn't so why waste development time? He operates best when he's on the ball so put him in the 12 shirt and get him involved. You don't often get players who are that size and creative, he can crash and operate as a secondary playmaker, exactly what the Saints backline needs.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Jul 2017, 4:52 pm

I don't disagree just trying to crow bar all your promising players in which to be fair can be stupid.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Jul 2017, 5:45 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I don't disagree just trying to crow bar all your promising players in which to be fair can be stupid.

What's this "your" you speak of? You better mean England because I'm from the nicer county to the north of Northamptonshire and certainly don't support the Saints.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Jul 2017, 7:05 pm

Ha ha. Sorry I now presume Leicester?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 21 Jul 2017, 7:10 pm

Myler would be retired or off if Biggar is signed, we already have signed Francis as a 10, we have Mallinder and hopefully Stephenson at 12 or Burrell if we change tactics so I can't see him being signed as a 12.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Jul 2017, 7:12 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Ha ha. Sorry I now presume Leicester?

Yep. I was born across the road from the stadium.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 21 Jul 2017, 9:50 pm

I said Saints are signing Bigger in early june at it got poo poo'd on.

And Francis really isn't a 10. I reckon Eddie has told him to focus on 12 to help his England chances after Argentina. (Mallinder is too weak defensively to hold that line at 12 IMO he jumps out way to often).

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Jul 2017, 10:18 pm

Welly, Austin did a good piece earlier in the year which showed that Mallinder suffered greatly in defence when tackling with a weak shoulder he'd injured and had surgery on. Opposition had spotted this and we're exploiting it. The problem did seem to ease towards the end of the season and I doubt very much the Saints medical team won't have tried to fix the problem over the summer. 

Also the Welsh members of the forum poo poo'd the Biggar rumours. Most AP fans thought it likely given Saints increasing need for a 10 to succeed Myler who turned 33 today (good old Wiki). Saints have happily splashed the cash on big names before and have money in the bank.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 21 Jul 2017, 10:32 pm

Mike Delayney confirmed back to New Zealand.... Yahoo

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 21 Jul 2017, 10:39 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Welly, Austin did a good piece earlier in the year which showed that Mallinder suffered greatly in defence when tackling with a weak shoulder he'd injured and had surgery on. Opposition had spotted this and we're exploiting it. The problem did seem to ease towards the end of the season and I doubt very much the Saints medical team won't have tried to fix the problem over the summer. 

Also the Welsh members of the forum poo poo'd the Biggar rumours. Most AP fans thought it likely given Saints increasing need for a 10 to succeed Myler who turned 33 today (good old Wiki). Saints have happily splashed the cash on big names before and have money in the bank.

Still think Mallinder is more a 13/15 than a 12 TBH.

Would like to see
9 Reinach
10 Bigger
11 Horne
12 Francis
13 Burrell
14 North
15 Mallinder
In action TBH.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 22 Jul 2017, 7:36 am

I'd like to see that against us. Think Ford would make Mallinder's positioning an issue and exploit it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 22 Jul 2017, 11:36 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd like to see that against us. Think Ford would make Mallinder's positioning an issue and exploit it.

Ford could prob do the same to him in the midfield aswell though.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 22 Jul 2017, 1:07 pm

I'd hope that the Ford/Toomua partnership will pull most opposition midfields all over the place.

I think that if you want to be a top team you need a fullback that is positionally sound and can ideally organise your back three pendulum. With defences so well organised giving away territory by not fielding kicks efficiently is criminal.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 22 Jul 2017, 5:05 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd hope that the Ford/Toomua partnership will pull most opposition midfields all over the place.

I think that if you want to be a top team you need a fullback that is positionally sound and can ideally organise your back three pendulum. With defences so well organised giving away territory by not fielding kicks efficiently is criminal.

Not sure i agree with that.

I mean Veainu is alright but he is great positionally and certainly isn't an organiser yet, but he is a hell of a full back.

I think if the player has the right skill set it can be easy enough to move them to 15.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Jul 2017, 6:52 pm

If you're reading the Biggar rumour from the WOL then it's bull. Biggar has a contract up to 2019 I think, so Saints will have to pay a transfer fee (which I'm sure they're willing to do). It's not a good move for Biggar as Saints have a bad record with handling our backs, and he'd have to rely on a wildcard selection for Wales; to put that into perspective he'll be competing with Owen Williams, Liam Williams, poss. Halfpenny, Faletau, Moriarty, Francis, North, Roberts; only three can picked unless that's increasing. From a Wales perspective we need him to stay put so he doesn't risk his position in the national team. Davies can't quite cut it and Anscombe is unreliable. Williams still uncapped. Patchell has never featured at 10 for Wales but is flaky anyway.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 22 Jul 2017, 7:41 pm

Welly wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd hope that the Ford/Toomua partnership will pull most opposition midfields all over the place.

I mean Veainu is alright but he is great positionally and certainly isn't an organiser yet, but he is a hell of a full back.

I think if the player has the right skill set it can be easy enough to move them to 15.

I said ideally an organiser. I think Thommo does a decent amount of organising and covering for Tigers. As you say TV covers very well positionally he also does a great job of retaining the ball and recycling for his team. If he can become a leader at the back and develop his tactical kicking game a little more they'll be few better fullbacks in rugby.

Mikey, it might be inconvenient for the national team for Biggar to move but it might be good for him. He'll earn more and sometimes a change in environment can help a player develop their game. Saints have also looked after North better than Wales. Saints have stood him down and given him the recovery time he needs with his concussions.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 22 Jul 2017, 8:25 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Welly wrote:

I said ideally an organiser. I think Thommo does a decent amount of organising and covering for Tigers. As you say TV covers very well positionally he also does a great job of retaining the ball and recycling for his team. If he can become a leader at the back and develop his tactical kicking game a little more they'll be few better fullbacks in rugby.

Mikey, it might be inconvenient for the national team for Biggar to move but it might be good for him. He'll earn more and sometimes a change in environment can help a player develop their game. Saints have also looked after North better than Wales. Saints have stood him down and given him the recovery time he needs with his concussions.

Couple of points on Dan's transfer, his contract with us (Ospreys) and the WRU runs out at the end of this season 17/18, with an option for another year, which all parties have to agree to. The number that comes under the supposed Gatland's Law is extended to 4 this season, it is quite confusing who is still caught under this sham, but Dan should still be covered.

Let me also add, Mikey we had a conversation around about a year ago, both private and public when you told me that Dan said in a Q&A session, you even told me the name of the establishment, that he was going to play in France at the end of his present contract. You should know what they say about liars, (good memories).

Finally there is very little or no animosity directed at Dan from our forum over this transfer, he has been a very loyal Ospreylian and any money he makes above what we can offer him, is very well deserved, and we would wish him all the best. It would be nice for us if he could stay for the extra year or even to the end of his playing days, yet for the amounts that are being talked about, I don't begrudge him one bit,
it is a short career, you have to grab the money when you can.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Jul 2017, 8:55 pm

I might be missing something but am I being called a liar Wayne? I wasn't there but pretty sure I told you the name of the hotel. He was asked, and answered "France" and "More money". No team was mentioned. That was over a year ago and I'm sure even a short-ass like you knows a lot can happen within a year. I actually think his stock has taken a bit of a knock since then.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 22 Jul 2017, 9:09 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I might be missing something but am I being called a liar Wayne? I wasn't there but pretty sure I told you the name of the hotel. He was asked, and answered "France" and "More money". No team was mentioned. That was over a year ago and I'm sure even a short-ass like you knows a lot can happen within a year. I actually think his stock has taken a bit of a knock since then.

Mikey, yes you did tell me the name of the establishment, considering I'd already told you above, why you needed to tell me again I don't know.
The way you put it last year was that it was definite, which obviously it isn't. As for his stock taken a bit of a knock, yeh just came back from a decent performance wise Lions tour, yeh he's at rock bottom.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Jul 2017, 9:22 pm

wayne wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I might be missing something but am I being called a liar Wayne? I wasn't there but pretty sure I told you the name of the hotel. He was asked, and answered "France" and "More money". No team was mentioned. That was over a year ago and I'm sure even a short-ass like you knows a lot can happen within a year. I actually think his stock has taken a bit of a knock since then.

Mikey, yes you did tell me the name of the establishment, considering I'd already told you above, why you needed to tell me again I don't know.
The way you put it last year was that it was definite, which obviously it isn't. As for his stock taken a bit of a knock, yeh just came back from a decent performance wise Lions tour, yeh he's at rock bottom.

I just repeated word of mouth on a thread and you were the only one to take it more seriously.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 22 Jul 2017, 9:34 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
wayne wrote:

I just repeated word of mouth on a thread and you were the only one to take it more seriously.

Mikey, you decried the report in the Fail, if you bothered to see who penned that report you wouldn't have jumped in so quickly if you had any sense, it was Mark Orders, who until earlier this year was the main reporter of the Ospreys and Scarlets down West for the Standard until it was taken over by the Fails owners, he is normally extremely accurate and I would gamble he's spot on with that assumption.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 22 Jul 2017, 9:44 pm

It's very cute when fans refer to players by first name to make themselves seem like they're in with the club and know more about what's going on than others

Laugh

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 22 Jul 2017, 10:13 pm

You've lost me Wayne, especially since I've forgotten about it. You might have been sat at home since last year but I've been very busy Smile.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 22 Jul 2017, 10:26 pm

BamBam wrote:It's very cute when fans refer to players by first name to make themselves seem like they're in with the club and know more about what's going on than others

Laugh

Or because most people use their phones and once it's established who you are talking about writing the first name is quicker? I tend to go for the shortest abbreviation hence why it's always TV instead of Telusa Veainu.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 22 Jul 2017, 10:27 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:You've lost me Wayne, especially since I've forgotten about it. You might have been sat at home since last year but I've been very busy Smile.
Of course you've forgotten Mikey, why don't you have a look at the first sentence on your first mention on this topic today it is all of 4 hours ago.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 22 Jul 2017, 10:45 pm

BamBam wrote:It's very cute when fans refer to players by first name to make themselves seem like they're in with the club and know more about what's going on than others

Laugh

Or because most people use their phones and once it's established who you are talking about writing the first name is quicker? I tend to go for the shortest abbreviation hence why it's always TV instead of Telusa Veainu.

Honestly not even noticed you doing it if you ever do

Was more at Wayne who regularly refers to Dan, Alun and Justin as if they are the pals he gayly skips around with every day

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 23 Jul 2017, 8:36 am

BamBam wrote:

Laugh

Honestly not even noticed you doing it if you ever do

Was more at Wayne who regularly refers to Dan, Alun and Justin as if they are the pals he gayly skips around with every day

I do tend to do it more with my own club, e.g. Tom, Ben and Manu.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 23 Jul 2017, 9:18 am

Has anyone seen the updates on Mckenzie in the Rugby Paper? I'm abroad so can't buy it today.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 23 Jul 2017, 12:35 pm

Welly wrote:

Is this the same saints that kept him on after he was clearly knocked out by Thompstone?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 23 Jul 2017, 1:26 pm

Welly wrote:
Welly wrote:

Is this the same saints that kept him on after he was clearly knocked out by Thompstone?

That was a particularly shocking by both the medical team at Saints, coaches and the match officials. He should have never been allowed back onto the pitch. Wales did pretty much the same thing against England where he got knocked out twice yet finished the game so they can't be said to have taken better care of him. North has tended to pass concussion tests and play for Wales with Saints giving him the long term recovery time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 24 Jul 2017, 9:44 am

Aaron Mauger is favourite to take on the Highlanders' coaching job with Tony Brown off to be Jamie Joseph's assistant with Japan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 24 Jul 2017, 9:53 am

True about concussion-gate, I was more referring to his performance as a player though. When he started out with Scarlets he was a very promising player, scoring tries from his own 22. He seems to have stagnated at Saints. He required a change at the time of his move so that was good, but I don't think he should have renewed with them.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 24 Jul 2017, 10:52 am

mikey_dragon wrote:True about concussion-gate, I was more referring to his performance as a player though. When he started out with Scarlets he was a very promising player, scoring tries from his own 22. He seems to have stagnated at Saints. He required a change at the time of his move so that was good, but I don't think he should have renewed with them.

He's had the same problem for years. He hogs his wing and doesn't go looking for work. Solo length of the field tries don't really happen in the AP, even the weak teams aren't that bad in defence. Until North ups his work rate he'll stay in the same rut.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 24 Jul 2017, 2:00 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Aaron Mauger is favourite to take on the Highlanders' coaching job with Tony Brown off to be Jamie Joseph's assistant with Japan

Interesting.

Might be a step too far for him currently though, assistant coach role prob more suits him.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 24 Jul 2017, 3:40 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:True about concussion-gate, I was more referring to his performance as a player though. When he started out with Scarlets he was a very promising player, scoring tries from his own 22. He seems to have stagnated at Saints. He required a change at the time of his move so that was good, but I don't think he should have renewed with them.

He's had the same problem for years. He hogs his wing and doesn't go looking for work. Solo length of the field tries don't really happen in the AP, even the weak teams aren't that bad in defence. Until North ups his work rate he'll stay in the same rut.

Not even Bristol or Wuss... He definitely needs to up his work rate though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 24 Jul 2017, 3:59 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Not even Bristol or Wuss... He definitely needs to up his work rate though.

The last team who came up with a see through defence was LW. Bristol and Worcester were average teams often lacking the precision and discipline to win games. Worcester have managed to stay up and get some continuity in the playing squad which has helped them build a little.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:11 am

Apparently Tigers are now looking at Halfpenny, I'm guessing the cost of him will have reduced now as he hasn't a team for next year.

What that means for Mckenzie I don't know.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:27 am

Glasgow have signed Siosiua Halanukonuka the Tonga / Highlanders prop, according to Tongan sources.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:33 am

demosthenes wrote:Glasgow have signed Siosiua Halanukonuka the Tonga / Highlanders prop,  according to Tongan sources.

I'm unfamiliar. Did he feature against the Lions and if so, how'd it go for him?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:34 am

demosthenes wrote:Glasgow have signed Siosiua Halanukonuka the Tonga / Highlanders prop,  according to Tongan sources.

I can't begin to imagine the nicknames that are being conjured by the Weegie faithful already Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:58 am

nathan wrote:Apparently Tigers are now looking at Halfpenny, I'm guessing the cost of him will have reduced now as he hasn't a team for next year.

What that means for Mckenzie I don't know.

Would you be pleased if you brought him in?

I know Ford is used to having a goal kicker at international level to look after him but surely it would be good for Ford to take more responsibility in goal kicking?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next