British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by miaow on Tue 09 May 2017, 1:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

robbo277 wrote:
But as I said, I don't want players to water down their comments. I want to read what the players think, I don't want to read what the press officer tells them to say.

That's fair enough, and I agree with the rest of your comment on this basis. I personally don't particularly care what Mike Brown thinks, especially when it's as obvious as "experienced test player is disappointed to have not been selected for the Lions". I could have told you that without Mike Brown's public statement. The point where it deviated from him merely expressing his disappointment to one where he's put his foot in his mouth is the fact he questioned the coaches' lack of communication to him personally. Even if he's right- and I think he may well be- to publicly bring that into question in the way he has done is antithetical to the whole business of a squad as a unity, a whole above the self.

As for him being a liability, I agree to an extent, but equally he does get in his fair few verbal and physical scraps. He's clearly not a player who's particularly in control of his emotions, a bit like Biggar, in that he wants to plead his case long after it is obvious his efforts are utterly in vain. He's not a catastrophe by any means, but having played with people like him, they can be liabilities. Ticking time bomb may be the incorrect phrase, and overdoing it slightly, but that doesn't negate the point entirely. Either way, it doesn't particularly matter, as I don't think it really affects his performance or mentality, and the players around him, too much: but if it did, it's hard to quantify anyway.

miaow

Posts : 1337
Join date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down


Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Mon 15 May 2017, 11:42 am

"Pathetic Individual" is a touch over the top Alive.

I must admit, I dont agree with Gwlad's points but he's only stating his opinion.

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32548
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by TightHEAD on Mon 15 May 2017, 11:45 am

Apparently Jamie Roberts is really disappointed to be missing out.

Really Jamie!

avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2777
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : Richmond

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by beshocked on Mon 15 May 2017, 11:52 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I don't like to pan anyone, I'm just being realistic. Mako isn't a good scrummager so I would be adverse to him starting for the Lions, he's an ideal bench option.

Itoje was ok, as he has been all season....ok.

I also said Kruis was outstanding but that doesn't fit in well with your point of Sarries bashing.

I didn't say you were bashing Kruis.

You are focusing on Mako's scrummaging when scrummaging wasn't really a big part of the game on Saturday. Cherrypicking one area and discounting all the good Mako did, not even as if Clermont dominated the scrum, was pretty much parity.

Mako adds so much more than the other LHs because modern rugby these days isn't just about the scrum, don't get me wrong scrummaging is still a key part of being a prop but not the only thing.

Against the best side in the world you need more than just someone who can scrummage well. A good scrum isn't just about 1 player either, it's about combinations.

Itoje being okay still sees him still performing better than the majority of locks. You just have unrealistically high expectations of Itoje, expecting him to put in a 9/10 performance every game. Perhaps it's because the media hype him up too much but he's still a good player.

I was happy with Itoje's effort even if he wasn't the best Saracens forward he still did his bit.

Both are still strong contenders to start.

beshocked

Posts : 14379
Join date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Mon 15 May 2017, 11:55 am

Has Itoje put in a 9/10 performance recently?

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32548
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Mon 15 May 2017, 11:55 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Interesting piece of analysis after the Crusaders managed to shut down the Barrett show on Saturday - note that it was an All Black-stacked tight five that got the win mind, so easier said than done.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/92580905/marc-hinton-crusaders-big-squeeze-shows-warren-gatlands-lions-the-way-forward

I watched it. It was a boring enough game. I think both sides showed nerves and forced things at times.

I think the Lions will have the advantage in the tight 5.

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2455
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 15 May 2017, 11:56 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Has Itoje put in a 9/10 performance recently?

All of his performances are rated out of 11

Gooseberry

Posts : 3061
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Mon 15 May 2017, 11:59 am

Haha.....you'd think so.

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32548
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Mon 15 May 2017, 12:37 pm

The Sgt_Pooly and beshocked episodes are hilarious. If Pooly makes the slightest whiff of criticism against the Sarries (especially Itoje) then the countdown begins until beshocked arrives to defend his boys.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11143
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by alive555 on Mon 15 May 2017, 12:44 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:"Pathetic Individual" is a touch over the top Alive.

I must admit, I dont agree with Gwlad's points but he's only stating his opinion.

Sure, and I just stated mine.
avatar
alive555

Posts : 969
Join date : 2011-10-01
Location : Bangkok

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Hammersmith harrier on Mon 15 May 2017, 12:45 pm

beshocked wrote:
You are focusing on Mako's scrummaging when scrummaging wasn't really a big part of the game on Saturday. Cherrypicking one area and discounting all the good Mako did, not even as if Clermont dominated the scrum, was pretty much parity.

Mako adds so much more than the other LHs because modern rugby these days isn't just about the scrum, don't get me wrong scrummaging is still a key part of being a prop but not the only thing.

Against the best side in the world you need more than just someone who can scrummage well. A good scrum isn't just about 1 player either, it's about combinations.
I'm of the same mindset as Pooly on this one, I want props who are first and foremost strong at scrum time, everything else on top of that is a bonus.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Mon 15 May 2017, 12:56 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:The Sgt_Pooly and beshocked episodes are hilarious. If Pooly makes the slightest whiff of criticism against the Sarries (especially Itoje) then the countdown begins until beshocked arrives to defend his boys.

Its like he can smell the criticism! Its rather impressive.

Hammer....completley agree. Jon Welsh did a step and a chip over a defender for us this season, Id have dropped him.


Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32548
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by TightHEAD on Mon 15 May 2017, 12:57 pm

beshocked wrote:A good scrum isn't just about 1 player either, it's about combinations.

Wrong its all about the most valued player in any squad, if you have a good one that is! Wink

Tighthead Props are worth their weight in gold if you want to be successful.
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2777
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : Richmond

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by beshocked on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:01 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:The Sgt_Pooly and beshocked episodes are hilarious. If Pooly makes the slightest whiff of criticism against the Sarries (especially Itoje) then the countdown begins until beshocked arrives to defend his boys.

Problem is most of the criticism is unwarranted.

Writing off Itoje and M.Vunipola as just good impact players...

They are part of one of the best front fives in Europe and somehow Sgt Pooly can find a way to criticise them. They've just won the European final for the 2nd consecutive year and supposedly haven't covered themselves in glory......

Even more laughable that Hartley repeatedly is picked to start for England ahead of George. At least on that Gatland has made the right decision so far.

It's fair to say Itoje isn't playing as well as last year but Hartley's poor form for England has been ignored by Sgt Pooly.

Brown's inability to pass the ball ignored... etc. Not claiming Mako is a monstrous scrummager, he clearly isn't but he offers so much around the park so if he gets parity at scrum time, he generally is superior to his opposite number.


Tighthead a good TH is important sure but Mako is a LH, plus the hooker is important to anchor the scrum. Plus good scrummaging locks.


Last edited by beshocked on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

beshocked

Posts : 14379
Join date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by propdavid_london on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:01 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
beshocked wrote:A good scrum isn't just about 1 player either, it's about combinations.

Wrong its all about the most valued player in any squad, if you have a good one that is!  Wink

Tighthead Props are worth their weight in gold if you want to be successful.
Yeah....... Very Happy

propdavid_london

Posts : 2750
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by beshocked on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:09 pm

If there aren't many scrums then the scrum becomes a non factor, that's where having an all round effective player is important.


beshocked

Posts : 14379
Join date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:24 pm

beshocked wrote:Even more laughable that Hartley repeatedly is picked to start for England ahead of George. At least on that Gatland has made the right decision so far.

And this is the nub of things. Apparently Gatland has made the right call on this one thing because he agrees with you. That does not make it right (or wrong).

You constantly ignore the fact that most (if not all) posters feel that George has been playing better than Hartley to state we claim that we view Hartley as a demigod. We do not. We are just willing to be open minded and try to consider what it is Eddie Jones sees to support his selections. Also it could be argued that for sake of consisency you should be critical of George's performances for Sarries when he keeps being pulled wit 30 minutes to go.

So to address your other gripes:

Mako is a very good player, but a number of pundits and posters suggest he would be of more use coming of the bench. That is not to denigrate the player, just to say how they can see him being used.
Itoje is a very good player and an outstanding prospect. He is not the finished article and with the slight dip in his current form he again may be viewed as a bench option.

LondonTiger

Posts : 16506
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:24 pm

beshocked wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:The Sgt_Pooly and beshocked episodes are hilarious. If Pooly makes the slightest whiff of criticism against the Sarries (especially Itoje) then the countdown begins until beshocked arrives to defend his boys.

Problem is most of the criticism is unwarranted.

Writing off Itoje and M.Vunipola as just good impact players...

They are part of one of the best front fives in Europe and somehow Sgt Pooly can find a way to criticise them. They've just won the European final for the 2nd consecutive year and supposedly haven't covered themselves in glory......

Even more laughable that Hartley repeatedly is picked to start for England ahead of George. At least on that Gatland has made the right decision so far.

It's fair to say Itoje isn't playing as well as last year but Hartley's poor form for England has been ignored by Sgt Pooly.

Brown's inability to pass the ball ignored... etc. Not claiming Mako is a monstrous scrummager, he clearly isn't but he offers so much around the park so if he gets parity at scrum time, he generally is superior to his opposite number.


Tighthead a good TH is important sure but Mako is a LH, plus the hooker is important to anchor the scrum. Plus good scrummaging locks.

It's laughable alright.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11143
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by BamBam on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:28 pm

What's great about the Lions tour for beshocked is that there's 3 other nations sets of fans to argue with about how (insert Saracens player here) has been overlooked in favour of (insert non Saracens player) who has been treated as a (deity/put on a pedestal/given special treatment)

Can't wait

BamBam

Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:32 pm

I just hope that Jamie George is on the bench for the first test, comes on for the last 15-20 minutes and has a stormer, and then Gatland decides to keep him on the bench for the last two games. I think beshocked's head would explode.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11143
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by BamBam on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:34 pm

No idea why. You'd think beshocked would be pleased that the player he's backed has shown such excellent performance in the impact role he was given

No reason to make a change that might upset his form over the next two games

BamBam

Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by No 7&1/2 on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:35 pm

Gatland did mention regarding his pack he'll have a strong set piece good hands in open play but also a couple of strong players off the bench. Regarding the bench thing to me that's probably george and probably one of Stander and mako. I wouldn't be surprised if he feels that the front row is strong enough that he starts mako as he had no problem when he was a weaker scrumager 4 years ago; though in the 3rd it showed what a difference corbisiero could make.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 13509
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by TightHEAD on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:37 pm

beshocked wrote:


Tighthead a good TH is important sure but Mako is a LH, plus the hooker is important to anchor the scrum. Plus good scrummaging locks.

Shocked I wasn't talking about Mako.
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2777
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : Richmond

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Scottrf on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:52 pm

Is it just me or was George the clear second best hooker for Saracens at the weekend?

Scottrf

Posts : 12649
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 15 May 2017, 1:58 pm

Scottrf wrote:Is it just me or was George the clear second best hooker for Saracens at the weekend?

I dunno, were you the second best hooker for saracens at the weekend?

Gooseberry

Posts : 3061
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by RDW_Scotland on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:01 pm

The squad that aren't in finals are training this week down in Wales - good chance for those guys to make a good first impression.

Hopefully it doesn't lead to a split in the group given that they will have bonded over the next few weeks before the rest of the squad join.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21639
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:07 pm

beshocked wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:The Sgt_Pooly and beshocked episodes are hilarious. If Pooly makes the slightest whiff of criticism against the Sarries (especially Itoje) then the countdown begins until beshocked arrives to defend his boys.

Problem is most of the criticism is unwarranted.

If you think calling someone ok is criticism you're in for a shock once you leave school BS, life is tough man!

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32548
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:10 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:The squad that aren't in finals are training this week down in Wales - good chance for those guys to make a good first impression.

Hopefully it doesn't lead to a split in the group given that they will have bonded over the next few weeks before the rest of the squad join.

How many does that actually leave?

With the bulk of Irish, English and Welsh players in the playoffs or France (and that also takes 1/3 of Scotland out)

By my reckoning :

Seymour
Hogg
Payne
North
Watson
Joseph
Teo
Laidlaw
Marler
Sinckler
Warburton (*is he still injured?)
Moriarty
Faletau

Hardly much of a party. I suppose they could take on a local rugby league side.

Gooseberry

Posts : 3061
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by RDW_Scotland on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:14 pm

The Ulster boys are about too (Best and Henderson)

http://www.lionsrugby.com/news/16181.php#.WRmpj2nyuCg

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21639
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:17 pm

Good point. Well at least a fair chunk of the midweek squad will get a chance to bond Rolling Eyes

Gooseberry

Posts : 3061
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by beshocked on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:17 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
beshocked wrote:Even more laughable that Hartley repeatedly is picked to start for England ahead of George. At least on that Gatland has made the right decision so far.

And this is the nub of things. Apparently Gatland has made the right call on this one thing because he agrees with you. That does not make it right (or wrong).

You constantly ignore the fact that most (if not all) posters feel that George has been playing better than Hartley to state we claim that we view Hartley as a demigod. We do not. We are just willing to be open minded and try to consider what it is Eddie Jones sees to support his selections. Also it could be argued that for sake of consisency you should be critical of George's performances for Sarries when he keeps being pulled wit 30 minutes to go.

So to address your other gripes:

Mako is a very good player, but a number of pundits and posters suggest he would be of more use coming of the bench. That is not to denigrate the player, just to say how they can see him being used.
Itoje is a very good player and an outstanding prospect. He is not the finished article and with the slight dip in his current form he again may be viewed as a bench option.

We won't know if it's the right call till after the Lions tour. I can understand why Gatland might be compelled to take Hartley even if I wouldn't.

No I don't ignore that quite a few posters feel George has played better than Hartley and you are not one of the people I believe views Hartley as a demi god.

I can't say you are one of the posters regularly championing Hartley. Of course I can understand why Jones made the decision he did.

Can't be critical of George when he's been generally playing well even it's not the full game.

England haven't started George once. That's not sharing the duties, it's putting one playing on a pedestal when he doesn't deserve to.

Perhaps if Sgt Pooly had worded it as eloquently as you he wouldn't get the same criticism. His comments come across as overly critical of 2 very good players. As Sgt Pooly has a history of being dismissive of Itoje it's no surprise I will be more critical even if he makes some fair points.

beshocked

Posts : 14379
Join date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Scottrf on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:29 pm

beshocked wrote:Perhaps if Sgt Pooly had worded it as eloquently as you he wouldn't get the same criticism. His comments come across as overly critical of 2 very good players. As Sgt Pooly has a history of being dismissive of Itoje it's no surprise I will be more critical even if he makes some fair points.

Seems like you're putting Itoje on a pedestal and treating him as a demigod.

Scottrf

Posts : 12649
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:36 pm

Thoughts from the Weekend,

Laidlaw: some good some bad, silly pass to nothing however drew the men and made the pass that set Moriarty over.

Moriarty: Fairly anonymous until he scored.

Farrell : Got handed off a bit too easily, missed some kicks but overall had a decent game.

Itoje : Not a great game by his usual standards. Missed some tackles, gave away some penalties.

Kruis : looked incredible. Powerful carrying, terrific lineout work.

George : Tireless in the loose, part of a great lineout and scrum.

Mako : Dunno what the fuss is, Clermont seemed to struggle quite a bit in the scrum.

Billy V : Lions incumbent no.8 Noone really comes close in terms of raw physicality and ferocity in contact. I know I said I'd start Taulupe, but Jeez Billy V is a war crime.
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6855
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by beshocked on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:36 pm

Scottrf wrote:
beshocked wrote:Perhaps if Sgt Pooly had worded it as eloquently as you he wouldn't get the same criticism. His comments come across as overly critical of 2 very good players. As Sgt Pooly has a history of being dismissive of Itoje it's no surprise I will be more critical even if he makes some fair points.

Seems like you're putting Itoje on a pedestal and treating him as a demigod.

Well no actually. I realise Itoje has flaws.

On the contrary I've been mentioning his poor discipline for some time -. Long before some other posters noticed.

Itoje isn't perfect, not the finished article. He has his strengths and weaknesses. Sgt Pooly you are right when you say Itoje must improve his carrying and discipline - something I've said for some time too.

Sometimes it's forgotten he's still only 22. Still room for improvement.

It's the media who overhype Itoje, not me. Unfortunately sometimes people go the other way and criticise him because the media love him.


Last edited by beshocked on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

beshocked

Posts : 14379
Join date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by RDW_Scotland on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:37 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Thoughts from the Weekend,

Laidlaw: some good some bad, silly pass to nothing however drew the men and made the pass that set Moriarty over.

Moriarty: Fairly anonymous until he scored.

Farrell : Got handed off a bit too easily, missed some kicks but overall had a decent game.

Itoje : Not a great game by his usual standards. Missed some tackles, gave away some penalties.

Kruis : looked incredible. Powerful carrying, terrific lineout work.

George : Tireless in the loose, part of a great lineout and scrum.

Mako : Dunno what the fuss is, Clermont seemed to struggle quite a bit in the scrum.

Billy V : Lions incumbent no.8 Noone really comes close in terms of raw physicality and ferocity in contact. I know I said I'd start Taulupe, but Jeez Billy V is a war crime.

I'd agree with this - I think NZ have the tools available to deal with Faletau but Billy V is unlike anything they've ever had to deal with.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Posts : 21639
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 30
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:43 pm

Not sure about that RDW. The way I see it is NZ is a country full of oversized islanders a lot of them not unlike Billy V. However, NZ dont really pick these huge oversized units that often presumably because they cant keep up with the pace and skill possibly of AB rugby. That said Billy V is a fine player so it will be exciting to see how he gets on.

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2455
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by No 7&1/2 on Mon 15 May 2017, 2:58 pm

Fortunately billy fits into the Picamoles camp of oversized units who have oodles of skill....If not the speed for 100 metres in 12 seconds!

No 7&1/2

Posts : 13509
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by EST on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:01 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:Not sure about that RDW. The way I see it is NZ is a country full of oversized islanders a lot of them not unlike Billy V. However, NZ dont really pick these huge oversized units that often presumably because they cant keep up with the pace and skill possibly of AB rugby. That said Billy V is a fine player so it will be exciting to see how he gets on.

I was thinking about this the other day, even in a country full of Pacifc Island units - i'm struggling to think of many who are as physically intimidating as Billy, he really is a bit of a freak.

EST

Posts : 928
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:07 pm

EST wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Not sure about that RDW. The way I see it is NZ is a country full of oversized islanders a lot of them not unlike Billy V. However, NZ dont really pick these huge oversized units that often presumably because they cant keep up with the pace and skill possibly of AB rugby. That said Billy V is a fine player so it will be exciting to see how he gets on.

I was thinking about this the other day, even in a country full of Pacifc Island units - i'm struggling to think of many who are as physically intimidating as Billy, he really is a bit of a freak.  

There is a good chance that there are lots. England traditionally pick the biggest players for their underage sides while it seems to me NZ tend to pick the most skillful.

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2455
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by aucklandlaurie on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:13 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Thoughts from the Weekend,

Laidlaw: some good some bad, silly pass to nothing however drew the men and made the pass that set Moriarty over.

Moriarty: Fairly anonymous until he scored.

Farrell : Got handed off a bit too easily, missed some kicks but overall had a decent game.

Itoje : Not a great game by his usual standards. Missed some tackles, gave away some penalties.

Kruis : looked incredible. Powerful carrying, terrific lineout work.

George : Tireless in the loose, part of a great lineout and scrum.

Mako : Dunno what the fuss is, Clermont seemed to struggle quite a bit in the scrum.

Billy V : Lions incumbent no.8 Noone really comes close in terms of raw physicality and ferocity in contact. I know I said I'd start Taulupe, but Jeez Billy V is a war crime.

I'd agree with this - I think NZ have the tools available to deal with Faletau but Billy V is unlike anything they've ever had to deal with.

 How does Billy V go when in oxygen debt?

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7364
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 61
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:18 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Thoughts from the Weekend,

Laidlaw: some good some bad, silly pass to nothing however drew the men and made the pass that set Moriarty over.

Moriarty: Fairly anonymous until he scored.

Farrell : Got handed off a bit too easily, missed some kicks but overall had a decent game.

Itoje : Not a great game by his usual standards. Missed some tackles, gave away some penalties.

Kruis : looked incredible. Powerful carrying, terrific lineout work.

George : Tireless in the loose, part of a great lineout and scrum.

Mako : Dunno what the fuss is, Clermont seemed to struggle quite a bit in the scrum.

Billy V : Lions incumbent no.8 Noone really comes close in terms of raw physicality and ferocity in contact. I know I said I'd start Taulupe, but Jeez Billy V is a war crime.

I'd agree with this - I think NZ have the tools available to deal with Faletau but Billy V is unlike anything they've ever had to deal with.

 How does Billy V go when in oxygen debt?

The All Blacks fitness is impressive, however I haven't seen anything to make me think that Billy couldn't cope with the all blacks for 80 minutes. He won't have to, because logically someone like Stander could come on with 20 minutes to go.

I'm not sure what makes you question his fitness levels when there is no tangible evidence that he has a fitness or conditioning problem. Specifically at the weekend he looked just as strong in the final quarter as he did in the first.
avatar
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 6855
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 32
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:18 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
EST wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Not sure about that RDW. The way I see it is NZ is a country full of oversized islanders a lot of them not unlike Billy V. However, NZ dont really pick these huge oversized units that often presumably because they cant keep up with the pace and skill possibly of AB rugby. That said Billy V is a fine player so it will be exciting to see how he gets on.

I was thinking about this the other day, even in a country full of Pacifc Island units - i'm struggling to think of many who are as physically intimidating as Billy, he really is a bit of a freak.  

There is a good chance that there are lots. England traditionally pick the biggest players for their underage sides while it seems to me NZ tend to pick the most skillful.

Really?

I can't agree with this at all Guns. Over the last 3/4 year the English packs have been anything but big and infact are often smaller than their opposition. I'm sure last time we played NZ at U20 level we had a smaller pack.

English packs over the last few U20 WC's have been generally been fast and technically very good and we've not had that many big units.

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32548
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:19 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:
EST wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Not sure about that RDW. The way I see it is NZ is a country full of oversized islanders a lot of them not unlike Billy V. However, NZ dont really pick these huge oversized units that often presumably because they cant keep up with the pace and skill possibly of AB rugby. That said Billy V is a fine player so it will be exciting to see how he gets on.

I was thinking about this the other day, even in a country full of Pacifc Island units - i'm struggling to think of many who are as physically intimidating as Billy, he really is a bit of a freak.  

There is a good chance that there are lots. England traditionally pick the biggest players for their underage sides while it seems to me NZ tend to pick the most skillful.

Really?

I can't agree with this at all Guns. Over the last 3/4 year the English packs have been anything but big and infact are often smaller than their opposition. I'm sure last time we played NZ at U20 level we had a smaller pack.

English packs over the last few U20 WC's have been generally been fast and technically very good and we've not had that many big units.

In NZ a lack of size up front was blamed for our poor performance last year - can't remember if we played England mind
avatar
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
V2 Editor
V2 Editor

Posts : 10925
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : London, England

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:24 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Really?

I can't agree with this at all Guns. Over the last 3/4 year the English packs have been anything but big and infact are often smaller than their opposition. I'm sure last time we played NZ at U20 level we had a smaller pack.

English packs over the last few U20 WC's have been generally been fast and technically very good and we've not had that many big units.

I guess the point I was making was the England under 20 side is more often that not the biggest side at the junior RWC. Perhaps less so lately?

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2455
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:26 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:In NZ a lack of size up front was blamed for our poor performance last year - can't remember if we played England mind

Nope. Defeat to Ireland in the pool games meant you missed out on a semi final spot I think.

LondonTiger

Posts : 16506
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by GunsGermsV2 on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:27 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:In NZ a lack of size up front was blamed for our poor performance last year - can't remember if we played England mind

Nope. Defeat to Ireland in the pool games meant you missed out on a semi final spot I think.

Ireland men, Ireland women and Ireland under 20s have all defeated NZ in the last few years. Just saying.

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2455
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:30 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:In NZ a lack of size up front was blamed for our poor performance last year - can't remember if we played England mind

Nope. Defeat to Ireland in the pool games meant you missed out on a semi final spot I think.

Also I do not remember the Baby Blacks being smaller than their Irish counterparts.

LondonTiger

Posts : 16506
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by EST on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:33 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
EST wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Not sure about that RDW. The way I see it is NZ is a country full of oversized islanders a lot of them not unlike Billy V. However, NZ dont really pick these huge oversized units that often presumably because they cant keep up with the pace and skill possibly of AB rugby. That said Billy V is a fine player so it will be exciting to see how he gets on.

I was thinking about this the other day, even in a country full of Pacifc Island units - i'm struggling to think of many who are as physically intimidating as Billy, he really is a bit of a freak.  

There is a good chance that there are lots. England traditionally pick the biggest players for their underage sides while it seems to me NZ tend to pick the most skillful.

I assumed there would be, Guns - but when I thought about it, I couldn't come up with many examples. I'm sure there must be plenty further down, playing in the Mitre cup.

In the wider scheme of things, I think it will be very interesting to see how NZ will play in order to mitigate the Lions (potential) advantage in physicality. In the 2011 WC semi-final, I remember how they either targeted Pocock directly, or played much wider of 10, so as to reduce the chance of him getting to the breakdown first to jackal. I'm sure we will see plenty of coast to coast rugby, to really test Billy V's aerobic conditioning.

EST

Posts : 928
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Sgt_Pooly on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:35 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Really?

I can't agree with this at all Guns. Over the last 3/4 year the English packs have been anything but big and infact are often smaller than their opposition. I'm sure last time we played NZ at U20 level we had a smaller pack.

English packs over the last few U20 WC's have been generally been fast and technically very good and we've not had that many big units.

I guess the point I was making was the England under 20 side is more often that not the biggest side at the junior RWC. Perhaps less so lately?

Very much so Guns, there's been a big change of focus over the years. I only know as the commentators tend to comment on it about 300 times every match just so we know.

Sgt_Pooly

Posts : 32548
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:43 pm

The packs that led to a series of unsuccessful finals were certainly close to being the biggest each year. However that has changed in the last few years - and co-incided with actually winning things.

LondonTiger

Posts : 16506
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Gwlad on Mon 15 May 2017, 4:17 pm

alive555 wrote:
Gwlad wrote:I think the person who is most biased regarding this is you.

If the is all some biased conspiracy then Townsend's presence would have just mean't more bias. The Power of Four bias.

I think you're biased against bias and rather ignorant, that it's really boring because you won't/can't differentiate between what you think bias is and what it really is and what has happened in this case

All in the rather pointless pursuit of straw man point scoring, in that at least you're consistent.

A truly pathetic individual defending the indefensible

Ffs gatland picked more welsh players than irish and ireland are 4th ranked and wales 9th. Thats not a small margin.

If thats not more evidence of bias i dont know what is.

Wales shouldnt have had more than 5 or 6 and everyone else a couple more players.

Debate over.


ad hominem

Gatland wouldn't do that BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE STUPID!!!!!

Gwlad

Posts : 3914
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: British & Irish Lions Squad 2017

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum