The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best non-PPV WWE match

+9
Fernando
crippledtart
pauline1981
AberdeenSteve
The Awesome Giz
Brady12
Kay Fabe
Aaronb33
UpsideDownFace
13 posters

Go down

Best non-PPV WWE match Empty Best non-PPV WWE match

Post by UpsideDownFace Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:20 pm

Just a quick one because I'm typing this on my phone.

What is your favourite non-PPV in WWE?

Mine is the 4 way tag TLC match on Smackdown back in 2001 between the teams of Hardys, Dudleys, E&C and Jericho and Benoit.

Brilliant match with some great spots.

Honourable mentions to HBK/Angle Ironman match on Raw in 2005 and HBK/Benjamin just a month earlier

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Best non-PPV WWE match Empty Re: Best non-PPV WWE match

Post by Aaronb33 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 12:20 am

Mine are TLC 3, Jericho and Benoit vs Austin and HHH, Cena vs Michaels that went nearly an hour (not even die-hard Cena haters can criticize his performance in that one), HBK vs Angle Ironman match, Jannetty vs Michaels and Flair vs Mr Perfect Loser Leaves Town match.

All of those were amazing matches IMO.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:07 am

Shawn Micheals vs Marty Jannetty 17/5/93 RAW when Jannetty won the IC Title

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:10 am

the-gaffer wrote:Shawn Micheals vs Marty Jannetty 17/5/93 RAW when Jannetty won the IC Title

That's the exact match I was thinking Gaffer... When Jannetty returned from no where & won the title the same night... They had some great matches. Shame Jannety didn't get as good a push as Michaels back then

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by The Awesome Giz Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:14 am

Cena vs HBK hour long match was excellent even by cenas standards.

Another one for me is Lesnar vs Angle iron man match on smackdown. That was damn good.

The Awesome Giz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:34 am

Jannetty was his own worse enemy to be fair, he no-showed more than showed up I think, he had more than enough chances too, no-one has be re-hired more by Vince than Marty Jannetty, that tells you how much he liked him

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 08 Jun 2011, 7:18 am

Easily Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle's Iron Man match on Smackdown. Brilliant wrestling match, both of them at their best.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:14 am

Yeah the Lesnar - Angle match on Smackdown was great. There must be more out there. Another one for me was when Mankind won the title on Raw for the 1st time. Purely for the pop Stone Cold got and the WHACK of steel across the Rock's face

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:20 am

UpsideDownFace wrote:Yeah the Lesnar - Angle match on Smackdown was great. There must be more out there. Another one for me was when Mankind won the title on Raw for the 1st time. Purely for the pop Stone Cold got and the WHACK of steel across the Rock's face

Good shout buddy great pop for Austin's entrance & Foley winning the strap.

What about The Razor Ramon vs 1-2-3 Kid on Raw in 93, just for the sheer upset no one saw it coming.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

Bret and 1-2-3 Kid aswell on Raw is another.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:29 am

Sorry Brady12 Ramon/1-2-3 is before my time. I've only seen the Bret/1-2-3 match because it's on the Raw 15th Anniversary DVD. Also, is your username a tribute to the great Tom Brady? I wanted my username as Brady12 when I joined 606 but I couldn't becuase it was already gone lol. Obviously you had taken it.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:14 pm

when kevin nash defeated bob backlund for the title,a classic

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:22 pm

Touchè everytime I see it I never miss a second

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm

Austin & Michaels vs Owen & Bulldog in 1997 and Eddie vs RVD in 2002 are two that haven't been mentioned yet which stand out for me.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:48 pm

1 of my favorites was jeff hardy vs taker in a ladder match.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

fernando wrote:1 of my favorites was jeff hardy vs taker in a ladder match.

Quality match Nando, that was the one where Hardy just wouldn't give up and ended up getting his hand risen by Taker?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

yup was excellent from beginning to end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntWy6Se0c5o - part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OfDWv1iVWM&feature=related - part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkBq_F3LI68&feature=related - part 3

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 08 Jun 2011, 5:24 pm

Thats a perfect way to put a young guy over, the old saying "you don't have to go over to get over" is never truer here

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 8:41 pm

UpsideDownFace wrote:Sorry Brady12 Ramon/1-2-3 is before my time. I've only seen the Bret/1-2-3 match because it's on the Raw 15th Anniversary DVD. Also, is your username a tribute to the great Tom Brady? I wanted my username as Brady12 when I joined 606 but I couldn't becuase it was already gone lol. Obviously you had taken it.

The Bret vs Kid match is better but Kid was portrayed as a jobber before the Ramon match which made it a big upset....
Yes buddy it's a tribute to The living legend Tom Brady. You seen the Americas Game Patriots 2001? You can't help love the guy after watching that. He's done alright for himself with Giesle too

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jun 2011, 8:50 pm

One of my fave matches:
Jeff Hardy vs. Shawn Michaels

Part one Youtube Click Here
Part 2 Youtube Click Here

Its one of the best back & forth action matches non PPV ive seen.

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

Brady12 wrote:
UpsideDownFace wrote:Sorry Brady12 Ramon/1-2-3 is before my time. I've only seen the Bret/1-2-3 match because it's on the Raw 15th Anniversary DVD. Also, is your username a tribute to the great Tom Brady? I wanted my username as Brady12 when I joined 606 but I couldn't becuase it was already gone lol. Obviously you had taken it.

The Bret vs Kid match is better but Kid was portrayed as a jobber before the Ramon match which made it a big upset....
Yes buddy it's a tribute to The living legend Tom Brady. You seen the Americas Game Patriots 2001? You can't help love the guy after watching that. He's done alright for himself with Giesle too

Yeah u cant go wrong with being married to the highest paid supermodel in the world. I've seen it, it's brill. Probably my two most prized possesions are my signed Tom Brady pic and my Patriots shirt with Brady 12 on the back.

Anyway! Just had a look at my Raw DVD and the Razor/Kid match is on there so ill give that a watch later. Edge vs HBK in a street fight from 2007 is another I loved

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

Chris Benoit v Kurt Angle - Steel Cage match

HBK v Shelton Benjamin - RAW's Gold Rush Tournament

Chris Benoit & Mick Foley & Shawn Michaels & Shelton Benjamin vs. Evolution - RAW

Those are a few others that spring to mind!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

UpsideDownFace wrote:
Brady12 wrote:

Yeah u cant go wrong with being married to the highest paid supermodel in the world. I've seen it, it's brill. Probably my two most prized possesions are my signed Tom Brady pic and my Patriots shirt with Brady 12 on the back.

Anyway! Just had a look at my Raw DVD and the Razor/Kid match is on there so ill give that a watch later. Edge vs HBK in a street fight from 2007 is another I loved

Lol yeah I have the blue shirt from the 18-1 season but no signed photo! How much did that cost?

To keep this wrestling based I'll throw in another. A match from Raw around 99 when Jericho was nothing more than a midcard face defeated Triple H for the WWF title.... Only for Triple H to get Earl Hebner to reverse the decision due to a fast count. I remember thinking holy Poopie Jericho has won the title!!

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm

I was gonna say the Jericho HHH match next.

My shirt is from the superbowl of that season. The picture was about 15-20 quid on ebay from somewhere in the U.S. Its an 8 by 10 inch pic and pretty awesome.

Another was Foley - Funk on Raw in 98.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:38 pm

Brady, talking about shock Jericho matches. Does anyone remember the match on RAW between the then top dogs Triple H and Stone Cold teaming up against Benoit and Jericho and the latter winning. The arena went mental!!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:Brady, talking about shock Jericho matches. Does anyone remember the match on RAW between the then top dogs Triple H and Stone Cold teaming up against Benoit and Jericho and the latter winning. The arena went mental!!

I think that was around the same time as the 4 way ladder match on Smackdown. I think the 2 matches were something to do with vince having a storyline beef with Benoit and Jericho but im not sure what it wa. Does anyone remember why that was?

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:23 pm

AberdeenSteve wrote:Brady, talking about shock Jericho matches. Does anyone remember the match on RAW between the then top dogs Triple H and Stone Cold teaming up against Benoit and Jericho and the latter winning. The arena went mental!!

Was that for the tag team titles when Trips snapped his quad? Great match. That's when the main event of Raw actually meant something

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dx Dan. Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:52 pm

Angle vs Lesnar Iron Man match on SD!

Dx Dan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:46 am

Maybe not the best but definately one of, Eddie Guerrero v Edge in one form of a no DQ match, on Smackdown, it included Eddie hitting a Sunset Flip Powerbomb from a ladder in the corner and with hindsight it probably added to Edge's neck issues!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:46 am

Yeah that was match Brady! It did culminate in the end to the fatal four way tag match on Smackdown.

Those were the days Cry

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

Marky wrote:Maybe not the best but definately one of, Eddie Guerrero v Edge in one form of a no DQ match, on Smackdown, it included Eddie hitting a Sunset Flip Powerbomb from a ladder in the corner and with hindsight it probably added to Edge's neck issues!

I see it wasn't added to the poll, but I found some highlights of this match from Smackdown in 2002, worth 3 minutes of your time IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2URVyZUqw3w

And the last 9 minutes of the match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQ3Hfs9oxg&NR=1

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:08 am

Marky wrote:
Marky wrote:Maybe not the best but definately one of, Eddie Guerrero v Edge in one form of a no DQ match, on Smackdown, it included Eddie hitting a Sunset Flip Powerbomb from a ladder in the corner and with hindsight it probably added to Edge's neck issues!

I see it wasn't added to the poll, but I found some highlights of this match from Smackdown in 2002, worth 3 minutes of your time IMO.

And the last 9 minutes of the match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQ3Hfs9oxg&NR=1

Sorry Marky it wasn't left out on purpose. I started the Poll early this morning then left it as I had something to do. It wasn't until after I'd finished I saw you had put that match.

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:15 am

Some of the matches from late last year between Ziggler and Bryan were very good, also Kofi and Ziggler matches are usually good. Ziggler did well last year especially in matches and i think Vickie has helped him alot but it appears like it's still not enough because they aren't using him that much since he got his new look or whatever.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:15 am

UpsideDownFace wrote:
Marky wrote:

Sorry Marky it wasn't left out on purpose. I started the Poll early this morning then left it as I had something to do. It wasn't until after I'd finished I saw you had put that match.

No problem mate, just thought i'd share this match as it's a great spot fest!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:34 am

UpsideDownFace wrote:

I think that was around the same time as the 4 way ladder match on Smackdown. I think the 2 matches were something to do with vince having a storyline beef with Benoit and Jericho but im not sure what it wa. Does anyone remember why that was?

The Austin/888 vs Benoit/Jericho match was in May 2001. It was the match where 888 tore his quads the first time. Austin and 888 were heels, aligned with Vince. From what I recall they'd feuded with Taker and Kane but it had bombed a bit. Jericho and Benoit were the next babyfaces in line. Paul Heyman was newish to the WWF at that point but it was strongly rumoured that he was the one who pushed for Jericho and Benoit to get the belts. There was definitely a feeling that Jericho and Benoit were both being underutilised at that point.

The TLC match had nothing to do with Vince as far as I recall. It was just an early defence by Benoit and Jericho. Maybe the storyline was that Vince had pressured them into a gruelling title defence but that would have been about it. Again it was probably the backstage influence of Heyman, who knew they would work well in the TLC format.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:39 am

Im sure Mankind faced Taker on Raw in about 96/97 in a No Holds Barred match? Might have been a PPV, was a great match though.....

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:44 am

Was that not the Boiler Room Brawl

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:59 am

Im not sure mate i have to be honest, i thought that was at Summerslam? I just vaguely remember Taker v Mankind on an episode of Raw in a No DQ match of some sort which was a great match??

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:50 pm

Yeah the Boiler Room Brawl was SummerSlam, I just thought you might have meant that, I cant say i remember it but so much happened between SummerSlam 96 and Survivor Series 97

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

Mr H wrote:Im sure Mankind faced Taker on Raw in about 96/97 in a No Holds Barred match? Might have been a PPV, was a great match though.....

You are right. They did. Its on Foleys Dvd. Ill give u the exact date when I get home

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

Good man cheers mate, i knew there was something in the back of mind telling me they had a match on Raw. If anyone can find a link to it, give it a watch as im sure it was a really good match.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

Mr H wrote:Good man cheers mate, i knew there was something in the back of mind telling me they had a match on Raw. If anyone can find a link to it, give it a watch as im sure it was a really good match.

Turns out it isn't on Foley's DVD, it's on the Raw 15th Anniversary DVD. Knew I had it somewhere. Yeah you were right. Mankind vs Undertaker No Holds Barred. 9th December 1996

Last edited by UpsideDownFace on Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by UpsideDownFace Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

And yes it's a great match. Taker using a steel chair and steel steps on Mankind's hand to stop the Mandible Claw is a highlight

UpsideDownFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

If its on DVD then nn doubt it'll be on YouTube

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down