The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs West Indies - test series thread

+24
KO-KING
Hibbz
Corporalhumblebucket
compelling and rich
James100
eirebilly
msp83
LionsV2
Nathaniel Jacobs
JDizzle
KP_fan
Mad for Chelsea
Duty281
Jetty
king_carlos
jimbohammers
dummy_half
Gooseberry
sirfredperry
CaledonianCraig
GSC
VTR
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
28 posters

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

England vs West Indies - test series thread - Page 7 Empty England vs West Indies - test series thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 10 Aug 2017, 4:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

So England have announced that the squad for this series will be announced today....will try to update as soon as it comes out!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs West Indies - test series thread - Page 7 Empty Re: England vs West Indies - test series thread

Post by msp83 Sat 26 Aug 2017, 8:01 pm

KPF, Holder doesn't know how to use his bowlers, particularly spinners. He almost forgot that Bishoo was in the side yesterday. Chase bowled more than double the overs that the main spinner bowled even when he was giving away a few too many runs, despite Bishoo getting the big wicket of Root. And in any case, I am not sure there is that much spin on the track though spin is likely to play an increasing role in the game. But the quicks up front will have to do some damage for the West Indies, and then they have to really bat well in the 4th innings. Before all that, they should somehow bat a session at least tomorrow to stretch that first innings lead to something substantial.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England vs West Indies - test series thread - Page 7 Empty Re: England vs West Indies - test series thread

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 7:50 am

This being Headingley I am not convinced that spin will dictate the result...we will see.
West Indies have certainly dominated five out of six sessions and must have a good chance of setting a lead of over 180 tomorrow - which might prove fatal to England. No sure thing though : couple of early wickets and England could yet roll up the tail and keep the lead south of 130...that must be their first aim. If they can do so there is a way back into this game as a third innings score of , say , 350 might then be enough.
If the tourists get through the first half hour in the morning unscathed they are probably on their way to victory , barring a huge England second innings. Wonder what Vaughan would have to say then ?

Be careful what you wish for...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Aug 2017, 9:34 am

Hi Alfie and all - yes, I agree that the West Indies should be seeking a lead of 180 which would put them in a very dominant position. That's perhaps a little ambitious - 110 more still needed with 5 wickets left - but certainly not ridiculous. The difficulty for them and for us to make a call is that they have no proven reliability (as msp has touched on Wink ). They could still fold in the first hour this morning for no more than another 30 runs and we're definitely back in it.

However, if the West Indies can put on even another 80 and get their lead north of 150, we're definitely going to be up against it. I've only seen a little of this Test but the odd ball seemed to be keeping low yesterday. If that was right and it continues happening more, that's going to be a practical and mental problem for England's batters, particularly the trio trying to justify their selections, whether facing seam or spin.

Anyway, one swallow doesn't make a summer etc but massive credit to Kraigg Brathwaite and Shai Hope for their batting yesterday. A bit I did see on the box was Michael Holding doing a small but interesting feature showing the wide range of scoring rates by Brathwaite over every 20 runs as he moved from 0 to 20, 20 to 40, etc. The point being made was that he didn't have one set approach but would contentedly adopt and switch between the role of limpet or attacker depending on the different quality of bowling being faced throughout the day. That's what I've liked about Stoneman when seeing him make scores for Surrey this season although I readily acknowledge he can't be allowed unlimited opportunities to show the same at Test level.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 10:44 am

Hi guildford

Tough luck for Surrey the other night...thought you'd have been OK with 205 !

Agree the West Indies bats played intelligent cricket. Not sure England did all the time : there was a time when I think they might have realised the batsmen were truly entrenched and perhaps could have explored the old SA style bowl wide of off stump and bore them out tactic ...but perhaps the bowlers , apart from Anderson , just didn't have the control to execute any plan !

Think the pitch will be OK for a day or so yet...overhead conditions more the key here. But scoreboard pressure troubles both these teams...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:02 am

Jimmy strikes early, excellent effort from Hope though.

Hopefully England can bowl them out for under a 150 lead.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:03 am

Jimmy on a hatrick now...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:03 am

Perfect start !

Jimmy strikes ...end of a super innings by Hope clap

And new hope for England...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:05 am

...make that two !

Jimmy on a hat trick OK

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:11 am

Quite the game changer , that first over. Need back up now from Broad & others , as this pugnacious pair could still take this game away. A third wicket now though...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:12 am

How the hell did Moeen drop that ? Shocked

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:16 am

Very poor attempt from Ali, did not look like he was switched on.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:23 am

Wonder if that drop will end up being the Big Moment in this match ?

Might have been looking at a lead of no more than 75 if he'd held it. Now - who knows ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:28 am

I hope not alfie, Broad is seriously unhappy with Ali and certainly letting him know.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:45 am

What happened to bowling full and straight?

These two look pretty comfortable with the short and length balls.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:49 am

alfie wrote:Wonder if that drop will end up being the Big Moment in this match ?

Might have been looking at a lead of no more than 75 if he'd held it.  Now - who knows ?

It was being said on day one that a drop might turn out to be the Big Moment. Didn't think it might turn out to be by an England fielder though! Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:57 am

Very unimaginative bowling from England here.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Aug 2017, 11:57 am

alfie wrote:Hi guildford

Agree the West Indies bats played intelligent cricket. Not sure England did all the time : there was a time when I think they might have realised the batsmen were truly entrenched and perhaps could have explored the old SA style bowl wide of off stump and bore them out tactic ...but perhaps the bowlers , apart from Anderson , just didn't have the control to execute any plan !

Think the pitch will be OK for a day or so yet...overhead conditions more the key here.  But scoreboard pressure troubles both these teams...

Cheers, Alfie. 205 was definitely good but our powder puff middle order still left runs out there.

Not too happy about Ollie's man Woakes. Not only does he need to up his bowling here but his inclusion means TRJ (who nearly always does well against Surrey) should be available for Middlesex's Championship match starting at the Oval tomorrow! mad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:01 pm

A conundrum my mate sent me I can't work out....

Two batsmen each on 94 not out.

7 runs needed off the final 3 balls of the innings. No extras and overthrows given by the fielding side. Both batsmen scored 100 not out. How?

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:06 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:A conundrum my mate sent me I can't work out....

7 runs needed off the final 3 balls of the innings. No extras and overthrows given by the fielding side. Both batsmen scored 100 not out. How?

The only way I see it is Batsman 1 hits a 6, then gets run out (going for a single) trying for the win with the batsmen crossing, then Batsman 2 hits a 6 off the final ball?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:08 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:A conundrum my mate sent me I can't work out....

Got it, I think!

1st ball - Batsman 1 hits a four.
2nd ball - Batsman 1 hits the ball into the outfield and the batsmen run 3 but the umpire calls one short. Thus, only 2 runs are scored although Batsman 2 is now on strike.
3rd ball - Batsman 2 hits a six.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:14 pm

I missed the both 100NO. I think Guildford has it clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:19 pm

The dropping of Holder by Ali is looking very costly for England now. Such a dolly of a catch it was as well.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:24 pm

At least Ali held that one. Hopefully England finish the Windies off now.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:26 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Think the pitch will be OK for a day or so yet...overhead conditions more the key here.  But scoreboard pressure troubles both these teams...

Cheers, Alfie. 205 was definitely good but our powder puff middle order still left runs out there.

Not too happy about Ollie's man Woakes. Not only does he need to up his bowling here but his inclusion means TRJ (who nearly always does well against Surrey) should be available for Middlesex's Championship match starting at the Oval tomorrow! mad

In case it hasn't been widely seen, here seems as good a place as any to reproduce Kevin Pietersen's tweet of the other night:
''Surrey's loss last night means the end of career in England.''

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:30 pm

Windies 9 down.

Impressive resilience from Blackwood and Holder, though; it would have been easy to fold after England's dream start, but they didn't.

And they're still ahead in the match.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm

Ironic that Moeen takes the catch -much harder -an hour too late. Suppose they aren't quite out of sight yet ; but really : England should have been batting forty minutes ago at least...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:36 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

In case it hasn't been widely seen, here seems as good a place as any to reproduce Kevin Pietersen's tweet of the other night:
''Surrey's loss last night means the end of career in England.''

Hasn't stopped the nutters on BBC HYS calling for him to be brought back for England Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:38 pm

The 150 lead comes up. That is a very handy first innings lead for the Windies.

6 from Gabriel follows with the next ball.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:54 pm

Yeah I think this is looking like a winning lead now.

Not too often leads of over 150 are overturned. And England haven't a great record of batting under pressure recently. Pitch still good so a second innings 400 plus is quite possible...just not very likely.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 1:13 pm

169 ahead. Think that is about forty too many for England ; but we shall see if England can show some real character now with the bat.

Stokes probably worth a second wicket...but really Jimmy was head , shoulders and more above the rest of the attack. Broad a bit unlucky at times , perhaps , but well off his standard ; Woakes was complete rubbish and Moeen pretty ineffective. West Indies had two great innings and some typical aggression from Blackwood and Holder. They are deservedly in the box seat thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

England need at least 369 to set the Windies a challenging total (barring an unexpected deterioration in the wicket).

That's unlikely on the basis of the first innings. One, or both, of Cook and Root need to conjure a big ton.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 1:55 pm

Duty281 wrote:England need at least 369 to set the Windies a challenging total (barring an unexpected deterioration in the wicket).

That's unlikely on the basis of the first innings. One, or both, of Cook and Root need to conjure a big ton.

Well 369 plus would mean batting until around tea tomorrow ; so yes that would just about give them a chance. West Indies can't expect two centurions every time and I think England would likely bowl better second time around.
Guess others can make hundreds besides Cook and Root so it isn't out of the question. But hard to be too hopeful on recent innings. Hope they can - could be an exciting finish on Tuesday !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 2:18 pm

I really hope Stoneman gets a score today.

Gabriel is sending in plenty of no balls...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 Aug 2017, 2:40 pm

Quite like what I'm seeing of Stoneman. Looks a decent opener ; but he needs to get a score sooner rather than later. Think he rather gave his wicket away in the first innings here ; though that might have been the pressure of some good new ball bowling by West Indies leading up to his dismissal.

What's with all the no balls in this innings ? Weren't there on day one...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Aug 2017, 2:50 pm

alfie wrote:Quite like what I'm seeing of Stoneman. Looks a decent opener ; but he needs to get a score sooner rather than later.  Think he rather gave his wicket away in the first innings here ; though that might have been the pressure of some good new ball bowling by West Indies leading up to his dismissal.

What's with all the no balls in this innings ? Weren't there on day one...

Thanks, Alfie. I'm just back having been out for an hour or so. I was about to ask how Surrey's Rocky Wink was doing. Sounds reasonably encouraging at least.

Holder did the right thing imo in increasing the lead to the maximum amount but I wonder if it crossed his mind to declare when the West Indies went 9 down. That would have given the rookie opener Stoneman just 10 minutes to pad up and then a potentially awkward 20 minutes before lunch.

PS As you said - ''nutters'' calling for Pietersen's recall.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:17 pm

Holder and Chase bowling really wel here - tough period for England
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:18 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Holder and Chase bowling really wel here - tough period for England

And Holder gets Cook - that was coming. Cook just kept nibbling and finally got got bat on one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:21 pm

Good bowling there (not just the one ball) by Holder to get Cook.

A few minutes earlier, David Lloyd said this in reply to Ian Ward about Mark Stoneman:
''I like his movement, like his composure. He seems very level headed. Just needs a score.'' I go with that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:33 pm

Holder getting some movement out there...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:34 pm

Stoneman has gone into his shell somewhat. he was 17 off 17 so his last 13 have taken 63 balls...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:44 pm

eirebilly wrote:Stoneman has gone into his shell somewhat. he was 17 off 17 so his last 13 have taken 63 balls...

I'd credit that to good bowling by Holder and Chase - Chase in particular causing issues as it's turning. Surprised we haven't seen Bishoo yet
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Aug 2017, 3:50 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Stoneman has gone into his shell somewhat. he was 17 off 17 so his last 13 have taken 63 balls...

I'd credit that to good bowling by Holder and Chase - Chase in particular causing issues as it's turning. Surprised we haven't seen Bishoo yet

Yeah, I didn't see any of the first 17 that Stoneman faced but Holder and Chase were certainly bowling well after that. The most important thing for Stoneman is that he is still there.

Again like Olly, I think Bishoo should have had a bowl by now. Expect him to put in a shift before stumps tonight.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:01 pm

I am not having a dig at Stoneman, have actually been very impressed with his composure this innings. Very much worth his selection and based on this innings alone, should be persevered with.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:12 pm

Holder hardly relized Bishoo was in the playing 11 even in the first innings. He might again underbowl his frontline spinner yet again. Holder might be spirited and all that, but he's not a 3rd seamer, not a top 6 bat, and most certainly, not even a less than average captain!

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:29 pm

To say Westley looked like a rabbit in headlights during that innings would be kind...worrying

Stoneman battles through to a 50. Taken a knock on his finger, which looks to be causing him some pain. The way he reacted initially I wouldn't be surprised if it were a break...and if so, he wouldn't be fit to play the next test
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:58 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:To say Westley looked like a rabbit in headlights during that innings would be kind...worrying

Stoneman battles through to a 50. Taken a knock on his finger, which looks to be causing him some pain. The way he reacted initially I wouldn't be surprised if it were a break...and if so, he wouldn't be fit to play the next test

Good personal tactics - it'll be difficult to leave him out of the Ashes party after this innings! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 4:59 pm

What a delivery that is from Gabriel
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:00 pm

Beautiful delivery, and a huge wicket for the away side.

They'll still want a couple more tonight, including Root...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:02 pm

"Dan Norcross
BBC Test Match Special
That startles me. I think everyone will be of the same mind as myself and Geoffrey that was a no-ball."

Er....no.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Aug 2017, 5:08 pm

Duty281 wrote:"Dan Norcross
BBC Test Match Special
That startles me. I think everyone will be of the same mind as myself and Geoffrey that was a no-ball."

Er....no.

He clearly had a fraction behind the line. It wasn't a no ball, don't know how anybody could think it was!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next