The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

+38
Tramptastic
RDW
BigGee
tigertattie
George Carlin
TheMildlyFranticLlama
jimbopip
Eejit
EWT Spoons
Hazel Sapling
21st Century Schizoid Man
Cambo
EST
des
TJ
VinceWLB
Welly
NeilyBroon
Majestic83
munkian
MacKnocked-on
Geordie
demosthenes
Scottrf
furra_linee
LordDowlais
RuggerRadge2611
A Simply Mesmeric Try
BamBam
highland_scot
IanBru
reallybored
nickj
lostinwales
tatterd
LondonTiger
R!skysports
42 posters

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 9 Empty The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

Post by R!skysports Wed 03 Jan 2018, 10:51 am

First topic message reminder :

Bicker away......

A nice video to start with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9dwHAfy_M

Glasgow Warriors are one of the two professional rugby union sides from Scotland. The team plays in the Pro14 league and in the European Professional Club Rugby tournaments. In the 2014-15 season they won the Pro12 title and became the first Scottish team to win a major trophy in rugby union's professional era. #theyrock

Edinburgh Rugby (formerly Edinburgh Reivers, Edinburgh Gunners and a real rugby team) is one of the two professional rugby teams from Scotland, although hard to determine if they play rugby. The club competes dances in the Pro14, along with Glasgow Warriors, its oldest rival. Since January 2017, Edinburgh plays most of its home games at Myreside Stadium with selected matches at BT Murrayfield.

kiss

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 9 Davefr10

Last edited by R!skysports on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 9 Empty Re: The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

Post by jimbopip Thu 22 Feb 2018, 3:55 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:This place is become a bit serious lately - anyone got any good stories? Jimbo's daily struggles with old age and technology,

I've got to own up lads, I ran up the white flag ages ago: when the teasmaid scalded Mrs Pip at 4:27am hours o'clock nine mornings running and I went over on my ankle every time I tried to Macarena in my platform brogues.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 9 Empty Re: The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Feb 2018, 8:51 am

Cockers has said Edinburgh are going to be announcing 3 new signings in the near future.

Massive overhaul of the squad so far under RC.

https://theoffsideline.com/pro14-edinburgh-getting-used-making-luck/

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Feb 2018, 8:56 am

Tadhg Furlong
Beauden Barrett
Billy Vunipola

You heard it here first OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:02 am

The Rugby Paper is apparently suggesting we're about to sign Blue Bulls prop Pierre Schoeman

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:09 am

Interesting - I hope he's a tighthead and not a loosehead as we have plenty of those!

23 years old with mainly Currie Cup experience and 9 SR appearances.

A good pedigree for a 3rd choice tighthead and he's at a good age to develope.

118kg so a big lad!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:18 am

SA rugby say he's a hooker & prop, so from the sound of things I don't think he's settled on a position yet.  But hopefully TH like you say.

http://www.sarugby.co.za/playerprofile.aspx?id=51142&fullview=true

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:21 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Interesting - I hope he's a tighthead and not a loosehead as we have plenty of those!

23 years old with mainly Currie Cup experience and 9 SR appearances.

A good pedigree for a 3rd choice tighthead and he's at a good age to develope.

118kg so a big lad!

I think he is a LH.

Edinburgh have not signed up Marfo yet though and Jordan Lay is definitely off and no-one knows what is going on with Dicko.

They may still need a LH.

TRP also said that Juan Pablo Socino from Newcastle would be signing. He usually plays 12 as well, which may mean that Burleigh is off to pastures new.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:33 am

Surely Marfo will be offered a new contract, unless his back problems have become a long term issue.

Marfo, Dell, Sutherland are a good top 3 loosehead options even if Dickinson doesn't recover. We would need a 4th for the squad though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:37 am

Especially I guess as any or all of the above LHs could be called up to international squads going forward, so need someone who won't be impacted.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:41 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Especially I guess as any or all of the above LHs could be called up to international squads going forward, so need someone who won't be impacted.

It would make sense to have one NSQ LH on the books, same on the other side of the scrum as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:54 am

I would imagine that could be the 3 signings RC has alluded to then.

1x LH
1x TH
1x SH

As arguably those are three positions Edinburgh could do with some depth.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 23 Feb 2018, 11:20 am

EWT Spoons wrote:SA rugby say he's a hooker & prop, so from the sound of things I don't think he's settled on a position yet.  But hopefully TH like you say.

Excellent choice. Very Happy

A third choice hooker/prop .... that's worked out really well for you in the past hasn't it? picard

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 23 Feb 2018, 11:25 am

jimbopip wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:SA rugby say he's a hooker & prop, so from the sound of things I don't think he's settled on a position yet.  But hopefully TH like you say.

A third choice hooker/prop .... that's worked out really well for you in the past hasn't it? picard

He's only 23 so time enough for him to choose a position.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 23 Feb 2018, 2:49 pm

Mr Spoons, this led me to check Kevin Bryce's age on the Embra website; I was surprised to see he is 29/30 but much more surprised to see him described as a Scottish International. Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 24 Feb 2018, 9:32 am

jimbopip wrote:

Worked out well for Darryl Marfo.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 26 Feb 2018, 1:57 pm

Jason Baggot has signed a pro deal with Edinburgh (young 10 already at the club) and Cameron Fenton has extended his stay.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 26 Feb 2018, 3:45 pm

Alex Allen extends for another year with Glasgow until the end of 2019. He has actually done pretty well this year, got a surprising amount of game time and played well. Seems a decent move to keep him on the payroll as our second/third choice LH.

Ryan Grant is also staying on in his backup role until the end of the season. I don't think he has actually played for us this season, despite being in the squad, but I guess it would only take an injury or two for him to be called up again. You would imagine though that this will be his last season and he can concentrate on the Garden Shed Gin from here on in.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 26 Feb 2018, 4:30 pm

Confirmed: Richard Cockerill to return to Leicester Tigers

For a legends Dinner celebrating 125 years at welford road.........

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:45 pm

Shine a light - you nearly gave me a heart attack!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:46 pm

Edinburgh now clear in 3rd place given Ulsters most recent defeat. Can it really be happening? Edinburgh into the european cup?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:49 pm

TJ wrote:Edinburgh now clear in 3rd place given Ulsters most recent defeat.  Can it really be happening?  Edinburgh into the european cup?

Beating Munster and Ulster at home would go a long way to making that happen!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 27 Feb 2018, 9:34 am

TJ wrote:Edinburgh now clear in 3rd place given Ulsters most recent defeat.  Can it really be happening?  Edinburgh into the european cup?

Also in the play off position Shocked

I'm not saying we will beat the scarlets in a playoff, but we could do!

Also, am I right in thinking that currently, Ulster would play Connacht in a play off for the last Champs cup place? With Cardiff going through in 3rd place in Conf A even though they are wayyyyyyyyyyy behind on points?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 27 Feb 2018, 10:39 am

I’ve not given up hope of catching Scarlets in the league. We’re only 9 points behind them and have them to play at home.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 28 Feb 2018, 12:22 pm

Rob Harley signs up for another couple of years with the Warriors. Hard to argue with that as a good bit of business. He is going to put that record Glasgow appearance figure onto the shelf!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed 28 Feb 2018, 1:35 pm

So here's the new SA guy in the 7s squad for this weekend, Kyle Steyn;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5zxymIFAG4

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 28 Feb 2018, 3:44 pm

Are either of the club games this Friday likely to be played?

They might have a better chance of going ahead if they pushed the two of them back to Saturday, when the weather is starting to ease a bit.

Murrayfield has undersoil heating, so the pitch should be fine. It will likely be the amount of snow and ice around the stadium that kills the game off. I don't know if the pitch in Belfast is heated or not, probably no chance if not.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed 28 Feb 2018, 4:51 pm

Glasgow game off - to be played 20 - 22 April.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 28 Feb 2018, 4:53 pm

and to answer my own question, Glasgow game is off, postponed till the weekend of 21/22/23 April.

Probably a good decision to make the call early. It should mean we go there with a full strength team as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 28 Feb 2018, 4:56 pm

Unfortunately it gives Ulster more time to recover from injuries - we could do with Glasgow winning this!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 28 Feb 2018, 5:02 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Unfortunately it gives Ulster more time to recover from injuries - we could do with Glasgow winning this!

I think we will have a much better chance of winning this in April. We will be getting a lot more players back than they will and it will slot nicely into our end of season run in.

Our away form in the 6N window, a draw in Newport and losing in Cork, has not been entirely convincing.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 28 Feb 2018, 5:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Unfortunately it gives Ulster more time to recover from injuries - we could do with Glasgow winning this!

Postponed until late April means Glasgow should get back the Scotland contingent along with a few of the injuries (maybe Turner, Brian, Gibbins, Dunbar).

Who are Ulster getting back?
Off the top of my head Best, Henderson and Stockdale from Ireland. Not sure who else. Trimble? McPhillips? Gilroy?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 01 Mar 2018, 9:56 am

Edinburgh game called off as well apparently.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 01 Mar 2018, 10:02 am

Shame - we're on a bit of a roll just now and I was hoping it would give Nel a chance to gain more gametime in preparation for the Ireland game. We've not got a game for another 3 weeks now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 01 Mar 2018, 10:02 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Edinburgh game called off as well apparently.

Not really surprising, the weather is awful and they owe it to Munster to make the call before they travel. It won't be so easy to re-schedule for this one with Munster still being in the euro cup.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 01 Mar 2018, 10:04 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Shame - we're on a bit of a roll just now and I was hoping it would give Nel a chance to gain more gametime in preparation for the Ireland game. We've not got a game for another 3 weeks now.

They will probably have to re-schedule it for one of those weeks, as they will struggle in April with Munster still in the Euro Cup.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 01 Mar 2018, 10:04 am

PRO14 Rugby have confirmed that tomorrow night’s Guinness PRO14 Round 17 fixture against Munster has been postponed until the weekend of 16/17/18 March.

An early decision was made after consultation among PRO14 Rugby, Edinburgh and Munster due to severe weather warnings that remain in place across the UK and Ireland.

Threats to travel and the potential of severe weather on the day of the game raised concerns to the health and safety of supporters, match officials, players and staff from both clubs which is always paramount in such situations.

The severe weather currently being experienced in the UK and Ireland combined with the further inclement conditions forecast for tomorrow night, means that those travelling to BT Murrayfield would likely be exposed to hazardous conditions which raises welfare concerns.

It is therefore in the best interests of everyone involved to postpone the fixture until the weekend of 16/17/18 March. The exact date and kick-off time will be confirmed as soon as possible.

We hope that supporters understand the reasons behind this postponement and that any inconvenience caused is minor compared to the impact of making this decision closer to kick-off.

Ticket holders are encouraged to retain their tickets as they will be valid for the rearranged fixture. Further information will be sent to ticket holders via email direct from Edinburgh Rugby.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 01 Mar 2018, 2:27 pm

Charlie Sheil signed a pro contract with Edinburgh. He's fairly highly rated, with Cockers calling him out previously, so will be interesting to see how much gametime he gets next season.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 02 Mar 2018, 10:23 am

I have no idea who's in charge of Edinburgh's communication department, but they seem to be hopeless. They have released the following statement today (02/03)

Edinburgh Rugby wrote:Following a review of the partnership between Edinburgh Rugby and George Watson's College, it can be confirmed that Edinburgh Rugby has exercised its option not to continue using Myreside as the club’s home venue.

The club and the school have enjoyed a very positive relationship since first exploring the feasibility of moving Edinburgh matches to Myreside two years ago. Both sides look forward to continuing that co-operation in the future, with Myreside remaining a potential host venue for future Scottish Rugby representative matches such as the Scotland U20 match against England U20 which took place successfully last Friday.

Edinburgh Rugby will now continue to develop its ambitious plans for a suitable home venue and will share this vision with supporters as soon as possible.

10 days ago the BBC announced that Edinburgh wouldn't be playing at Myerside any more and they were a few days behind other journalists. The only bit of this that hasn't actually confirmed previously is that it's the end of the agreement with Myerside.

At this point why even bother putting that message out.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Mar 2018, 10:25 am

Yeah I did find that strange - they had pretty much already announced this...

What is interesting is they are acknowledging that they are going to announce plans for a suitable home venue at some point in the future.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 02 Mar 2018, 10:32 am

Yeah, and surely that goes without saying, I mean why even bother saying they are going to announce a home venue at some point, that surely goes without saying. The only thing I can think of is they are getting a lot of calls/emails from folk asking where Edinburgh are going to be playing their future games and are trying to stop people from getting in touch.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Mar 2018, 1:03 pm

Daryl Marfo signs until 2020. On much improved salary I'm sure!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 02 Mar 2018, 1:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Daryl Marfo signs until 2020. On much improved salary I'm sure!

I assume that means good news on the injury front then, I'm sure they wouldn't offer renewal if they weren't confident of future fitness.

We will have a mean front row come Japan next year!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 02 Mar 2018, 1:23 pm

Edinburgh vs Munster game rescheduled for 16th March. 7.35 KO.

Annoyingly I'll be in Rome for that one...but I'll make up for it by being in Rome, so swings & roundabouts

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Mar 2018, 1:42 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Edinburgh vs Munster game rescheduled for 16th March.  7.35 KO.

Annoyingly I'll be in Rome for that one...but I'll make up for it by being in Rome, so swings & roundabouts

Importantly that is still a 6N weekend so Munster won't be at full strength.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 02 Mar 2018, 2:02 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Edinburgh vs Munster game rescheduled for 16th March.  7.35 KO.

They have swings AND roundabouts in Rome? Shocked Fecc me these Italians know how to live.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 05 Mar 2018, 1:02 pm

Edinburgh confirm the signing of Juan Pablo Socino.
Excellent signing IMO.

Where do i need to go to join the Cockerill/Edinburgh band wagon?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 05 Mar 2018, 1:02 pm

Socino signing confirmed - we've got some serious talent in midfield now! Good to have one quality NSQ option too who will be available all season. Rasolea is almost certainly off now and maybe even Burleigh.

If there is a downside we've almost got too many top quality centres who will be taking up a decent chunk of the budget - Socino won't be on mega bucks but he wouldn't be a bargain either I'm sure

Edinburgh have bolstered their backline options ahead of next season with the signing of Argentinian international Juan Pablo Socino.

The 29-year-old centre – who currently plays for English Premiership side Newcastle Falcons – has penned a two-year-deal and will join the club in the summer.

Socino – who can also operate at stand-off – has been capped four times by Argentina and was a key figure in Los Pumas successful 2015 World Cup campaign in which they reached the semi-final stages.

The playmaker joined current club Newcastle Falcons in 2014 and has since made 87 appearances for the Kingston Park outfit, scoring 166 points in the process.

On securing a move to the capital, Socino said: “I’m thrilled to be joining Edinburgh next season in what I believe is an ambitious project that I can’t wait to get stuck into.

“Edinburgh is a great city with a huge rugby culture and I want to contribute to that with everything I can.

“The opportunity to play in a new competition - the Guinness PRO14 – and in a new country is also hugely exciting from a personal point of view."

Head Coach Richard Cockerill, said: “We’re really pleased that Juan Pablo will joining the club next season.

“He’s a fantastic player, who has showcased his attacking talents at both Newcastle and Rotherham. He’s an experienced, strong ball carrier and he will only improve our squad heading into next season.”

After earning international honours for Argentina at both U19 and U20 levels, as well as Argentina Jaguars, Socino joined English Championship side Rotherham Titans in 2010.

It was at Clifton Lane where the Argentinian garnered a reputation for his abrasive, but skilful style of play. In two spells at the South Yorkshire club – with a single season at Nottingham in between - Socino notched an impressive 631 points in just 56 appearances.

After winning the Golden Boot and being named RFU Championship Player of the Season in 2014, Socino joined current club Newcastle Falcons and has since cemented himself as one of the Premiership side’s most consistent performers.

Socino has featured in 15 games this season as the Falcons have broken into the Premiership’s play-off places.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 05 Mar 2018, 1:27 pm

Socino is a very good signing and will bring some serious ball carrying to the Edinburgh midfield.

This must mean some other centre departures though. I think Rasolea will definitely go and probably Burleigh. Unfortunately Galbraith as well, without ever playing a game. I have not heard a mention of him all season, which is never a good thing.

That leaves Scott, Bennett, Socino, Johnson, Dean, which is a reasonably tasty bunch to be going on with. I imagine some of the FHs could probably do a turn at 12 if asked to as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Mar 2018, 1:57 pm

You've got yourself a cracker of a player there!

Gutted he's going but we have genuine depth in that position and Dean seems to be moving towards having a bit more size at 12.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Mar 2018, 12:35 pm

Edinburgh have today signed former Scotland U20 star David Cherry. The 27-year-old hooker – who currently plays for French Fédérale 2 side Stade Niçois, as part of Scottish Rugby's partnership with the Nice-based team – has signed a one-year-deal and will join the club in the summer.

On joining his hometown team, Cherry said: “Born and raised in Edinburgh, I grew up watching and aspiring to play for the club, so I’m delighted to be signing for a team that I’ve always supported.

“The club is clearly moving in a positive direction, so I’m really pleased to have committed my future to a team with such ambitious aspirations.”

Head Coach Richard Cockerill, added: “David is a combative and physical player, who’s had experience playing in both the English Championship and in France.

“We’re looking forward to him adding competition to the hooker position.”

Cherry – who spent three seasons with English Championship side London Scottish before moving to the South of France – has represented Scotland 10 times at U20 level and started all five games at the 2011 Junior World Championship in Italy.

A product of Merchiston Castle School, Cherry played his senior rugby at Currie before making the move to English Championship side London Scottish in 2014.

The hooker soon cemented himself in the Championship outfit’s starting XV, but after three seasons at the Athletic Ground - in which he made 54 appearances, scoring 45 points in the process - Cherry joined Stade Niçois as part of Scottish Rugby’s performance pathway partnership.

Cherry has played a key role in Stade Niçois’ recent run of form which has saw the French side remain unbeaten in the league, winning 14 games out of 15, to sit atop Fédérale 2.

Can only assume he'll be fulfilling the Neil Cochrane role, who is getting on a bit now and may be released. With Mcinally, Ford and Fenton we probably don't need a 5th hooker (although we were down to the bare bones recently)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next