The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster V Edinburgh

+19
The Great Aukster
Eejit
RuggerRadge2611
tigertattie
Maine man
carpet baboon
Artful_Dodger
RossAnderson
RDW
Welshmushroom
Pete330v2
BigGee
VinceWLB
toml
SecretFly
neilthom7
rodders
marty2086
EWT Spoons
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ulster V Edinburgh Empty Ulster V Edinburgh

Post by RDW Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:11 am

Edinburgh Head Coach Richard Cockerill has named his team ahead of tomorrow night’s crucial Guinness PRO14 encounter with third-place Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium (Friday 16 February, kick-off 7.35pm) – live on BBC NI.

As Edinburgh search for their 15th win of the season in all competitions, the team selection includes five changes to the side who secured a last-gasp victory over Leinster last weekend.

In the back-three, Dougie Fife once again gets the nod at fullback. The Scotland sevens star is joined by wingers Duhan van der Merwe and Jason Harries, who starts his first league encounter since crossing the whitewash against Scarlets in round four of the competition.

An unchanged midfield sees Chris Dean partner last weekend’s match winner Mark Bennett, whilst Sam Hidalgo-Clyne returns to the starting XV to link-up with Jaco van der Walt at half-back.

In the front-row, Jordan Lay is named at loosehead and packs down alongside Murray McCallum and experienced hooker Neil Cochrane. Club captain Fraser McKenzie keeps his position in the second-row, as does Lewis Carmichael after his Man-of-the-Match performance against Leinster last weekend.

Number eight Cornell du Preez is welcomed back into the side from Scotland duty, whilst John Hardie returns to the fray to partner Bill Mata in the back-row.

Head Coach, Richard Cockerill said: “They have a good team and very strong squad, and they’ve had their difficulties for obvious reasons, but now it’s for us to go there and front up.

If we lose on Friday night, it’s not the end of our play-off hopes. For us it’s nice, as a team, that were putting ourselves in the position where we’re actually competing for play-offs - which is a step forward.

“I expect Ulster to be favourites and I expect them to be confident, but I’m also confident and I believe in our playing group.”

Edinburgh team to face Ulster in the Guinness PRO14 at the Kingspan Stadium on Friday 16 February (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on BBC NI.

15. Dougie Fife (98)

14. Jason Harries (6)

13. Mark Bennett (4)

12. Chris Dean (58)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (9)

10. Jaco van der Walt (9)

9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (101)

1. Jordan Lay (3)

2. Neil Cochrane (67)

3. Murray McCallum (34)

4. Fraser McKenzie (96) CAPTAIN

5. Lewis Carmichael (24)

6. Bill Mata (29)

7. John Hardie (25)

8. Cornell du Preez (96)

Replacements: 16. Cameron Fenton (7); 17. Rory Sutherland (58); 18. Eliot Millar Mills (2); 19. Magnus Bradbury (44); 20. Luke Crosbie (9); 21. Nathan Fowles (51); 22. Duncan Weir (26); 23. Glenn Bryce (31)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Ulster V Edinburgh Empty Re: Ulster V Edinburgh

Post by RDW Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:14 am

None of our Scotland players have been released – I had hoped Toolis would at least be on the bench given we only have 2 fit locks. Berghan probably could have done with more gametime too but Townsend obviously wants to make sure he doesn’t get injured.

We’ve put out our most physical back row possible so will be an interesting battle with Ulster.

Jason Harries randomly making an appearance for the first time in ages – I’m assuming Hoyland is injured?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:23 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:None of our Scotland players have been released – I had hoped Toolis would at least be on the bench given we only have 2 fit locks. Berghan probably could have done with more gametime too but Townsend obviously wants to make sure he doesn’t get injured.

We’ve put out our most physical back row possible so will be an interesting battle with Ulster.

Jason Harries randomly making an appearance for the first time in ages – I’m assuming Hoyland is injured?

Other than CDP - but I guess given his performance against Wales you could argue his international future.

Totally bizarre to see Harris back, but yeah Hoyland was in a protective boot thing last week, Graham took a knock at the end of the game, Brown is still out injured, so he's possibly last man standing.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:25 am

I meant Scotland players who were likely to be picked!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:06 pm

Ulster Rugby team to play Edinburgh, Friday 16th February, Kingspan Stadium (7.35pm):
(15-9): L Ludik; C Gilroy, L Marshall, S McCloskey, T Bowe; J McPhillips, J Cooney;
(1-8): A Warwick, R Herring, W Herbst, A O'Connor (Captain), K Treadwell, M Rea, N Timoney, J Deysel;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, R Ah You, M Dalton, C Henry, J Stewart, D Cave, D Busby.

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:07 pm

I don't recognise many of those names, particularly in the forwards.

Why kind of team is that Ulster fans?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:14 pm

About as strong as Ulster can put out, haven't seen much of Edinburgh this season but heard good things about the scrum so could be an edge there as Ulster haven't been dominant at all and at best lock teams out there

The biggest worry for Ulster is probably Deysel. Did well at Munster, had one or two good games with Coetzee in the backrow then dropped off a cliff after that and hasn't been picked recently and kids have been picked ahead of him

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:30 pm

Scottish rugby currently has a front row crisis with 10 front rowers currently injured. This has obviously then filtered down to the club sides. Our starting loosehead and reserve tighthead are emergency signings that we have had to make this season as we had no other fit props! Our reserve hooker only has a handful of pro appearances to his name as well.

As such our scrum hasn't been overly dominant recently, but have generally held their own in most games.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I don't recognise many of those names, particularly in the forwards.

Right someone call Jonno, we need to get this on the dressing room wall!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Feb 2018, 12:45 pm

rodders wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I don't recognise many of those names, particularly in the forwards.

Right someone call Jonno, we need to get this on the dressing room wall!

Headscratch

Can't tell if this is a joke or you've taken offence to me noting knowing every player in the Ulster squad!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Thu 15 Feb 2018, 1:40 pm

As Marty said it's about as strong as we can go right now, only got 3 players away with Ireland but we are racked with injuries.
Will be interesting to see how McPhillips goes at 10, did well last week but that was against the Southern Kings, this should be his first real test.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 15 Feb 2018, 4:40 pm

First real test for Gibbes post Kiss. Will he get rage into the machine?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Thu 15 Feb 2018, 5:06 pm

I never picked up on it last week, but Gibbes pick as his first captain is quite telling.

For several seasons, probably dating back to Johann Mullers departure our pack has been quite soft and lacked much coherent leadership.

Alan O'Connor probably has the most grit and dog in him as anyone on the Ulster books, so hopefully Gibbes taking us in a new direction there

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 16 Feb 2018, 10:55 am

It's a disgrace Edinburgh didn't get Kinghorn back for this.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 11:15 am

Townsend is certainly setting his stall out as coach – in previous years players not involved in the starting XV had been released to their clubs, whereas Townsend obviously wants to have all players available for training during the off-week.

Given that Kinghorne didn’t get off the bench last week and isn’t likely to start I would agree that it is strange that he hasn’t been released.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 16 Feb 2018, 11:23 am

VinceWLB wrote:It's a disgrace Edinburgh didn't get Kinghorn back for this.

that tells us is that he is surely going to be in the squad for next weekend. Neither winger set the heather on fire last week, he may even start, though you would suspect bench is more likely and hopefully he will debut this time.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 16 Feb 2018, 11:36 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Townsend is certainly setting his stall out as coach – in previous years players not involved in the starting XV had been released to their clubs, whereas Townsend obviously wants to have all players available for training during the off-week.

Given that Kinghorne didn’t get off the bench last week and isn’t likely to start I would agree that it is strange that he hasn’t been released.

We will see after tonight's result but Toolis and Kinghorn not playing could be the difference between a W and a L and ultimately Edinburgh missing out on a playoff place with tonight game being the most important game of the season so far.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 16 Feb 2018, 12:06 pm

I'm not sure what way to view this game tonight, from behind the sofa or between my fingers. Maybe both.
Ulster have not exactly been setting the world alight but the Gibbes regime is still an unknown. Last week's result against what amounted to 15 tackle bags can be no indicator of form but at least it might offer up some much needed confidence and a springboard onto some semblance of form. The problem is that Edinburgh's form has been there for some time as has the confidence. I can't call this one but fingers crossed and probably peered through for an Ulster win and some end of season good form.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 16 Feb 2018, 12:07 pm

Is it though? Edinburgh have Ulster away from home as well as a home game coming up later in the season. Hardly anyone travels to Ravenhill expecting to win anyway. I don't think Kinghorn would be the deciding factor or winning or losing there.

In truth Edinburgh know going into this they can afford to lose. Ulster lose this and it really could be the end of their pro14 challenge with the run in they have. To be honest if Edinburgh stop the bonus point win for Ulster and manage to get a losing bonus point, it probably will do them nicely to set them up for their 4 home games. Edinburgh have looked good at home of late and you could see them win all of those.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 16 Feb 2018, 12:24 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:

Is it though?  Edinburgh have Ulster away from home as well as a home game coming up later in the season.  Hardly anyone travels to Ravenhill expecting to win anyway.  I don't think Kinghorn would be the deciding factor or winning or losing there.

In truth Edinburgh know going into this they can afford to lose.  Ulster lose this and it really could be the end of their pro14 challenge with the run in they have.  To be honest if Edinburgh stop the bonus point win for Ulster and manage to get a losing bonus point, it probably will do them nicely to set them up for their 4 home games.  Edinburgh have looked good at home of late and you could see them win all of those.

I love your confidence, but we have Munster, Ulster, Scarlets & Glasgow at home. I would be amazed if we won all of them.

Not to mention we have Dragons & Connacht away during that time as well. If we lose ground on Ulster here I fear that's our playoff hopes gone.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 16 Feb 2018, 1:22 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:

Is it though?  Edinburgh have Ulster away from home as well as a home game coming up later in the season.  Hardly anyone travels to Ravenhill expecting to win anyway.  I don't think Kinghorn would be the deciding factor or winning or losing there.

In truth Edinburgh know going into this they can afford to lose.  Ulster lose this and it really could be the end of their pro14 challenge with the run in they have.  To be honest if Edinburgh stop the bonus point win for Ulster and manage to get a losing bonus point, it probably will do them nicely to set them up for their 4 home games.  Edinburgh have looked good at home of late and you could see them win all of those.

I love your confidence, but we have Munster, Ulster, Scarlets & Glasgow at home.  I would be amazed if we won all of them.

Not to mention we have Dragons & Connacht away during that time as well.  If we lose ground on Ulster here I fear that's our playoff hopes gone.

If you can beat Leinster at home you can beat any of those sides above at home as well. I don't think any of those sides should hold fear for you at home. Away is a different story I agree. But if you are genuine play off contenders then winning those kind of games at home will be the key behind it. Away wins are difficult to come by in the league this year as so many teams are fielding their strongest line ups for their home supporters. If Edinburgh really want one of those conference top 3 spots they probably will have to win 3 out of 4 of those home games regardless of the Ulster away result.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 16 Feb 2018, 2:18 pm

I think my optimism is tempered by it being a weakened Leinster side (so were Edinburgh mind you) but at full strength we will have Connacht away, Scarlets, Ulster and Glasgow at home.

I just think this season is too early for Edinburgh to beat those teams at full strength, next season, no bother, run away league leaders with a record points haul Smile Wink but maybe just a bit too soon this time out.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Fri 16 Feb 2018, 5:28 pm

A clear crisp evening here in Belfast. Lets hope for some good footy

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 16 Feb 2018, 6:15 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:

I feel Edinburgh have decent momentum with them and Ulster, not so much having lost Piutau and the Aussie flyhalf which is why i would have liked a few more key players released. If you go to Ravenhill with the mindset of losing, why even bother turning up.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:11 pm

Game is on BBC 2 Northern Ireland tonight by the way!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:24 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Game is on BBC 2 Northern Ireland tonight by the way!

Time for us Edinburgh fans to find out where the mute button is Laugh

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:38 pm

CDP tamely handed off in the face - that's why he's been dropped by Scotland!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:43 pm

Silly from Edinburgh - we get possession for the first time and after a good VDM break force the passes and knock on!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:46 pm

Our kicking from hand has got to improve - far too wayward.

Good try Ulster - we need some ball!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:48 pm

Owens says let go but still let's the Ulster player turn it over...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RossAnderson Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:53 pm

Also on red button dor those that dont get bbc ni

RossAnderson

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:05 pm

Our ball retention has been abysmal - we've barely managed more than 3 phases without losing the ball.

Good to get some territory finally

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:09 pm

Much better Edinburgh back to basics - could have done with the try though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:12 pm

Edinburgh need to get their sh!t together - forwards driven back in the maul the the backs lose 20m by forcing passes.

Cockerill needs to read the riot act!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:13 pm

Absolutely nothing in that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:15 pm

Sensible from Owens given the TMO was trying to get him sent off!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:15 pm

Very soft.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:18 pm

That's more like it - are we sure we want to let SHC go??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:21 pm

So that's our last 10 broken. Oh joy. And Gilroy gone too. Fantastic

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by RossAnderson Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:21 pm

Sambo looking like a worldie

RossAnderson

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:24 pm

Huge defence from Ulster

We did far too many pick and goes though.

Momentum back with Edinburgh - can Ulster cope without their 10?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:25 pm

Where's SHC going?

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:30 pm

Maine man wrote:Where's SHC going?

Dunno yet - we just know he's off. He had a different opinion on how much he was worth and Edinburgh didn't match it. He's certainly proving his worth tonight!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:34 pm

What is it with Ulster and injuries? Now we officially have no outhalf and if anything happens to Cooney we may call time on this season.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:36 pm

Need to tell paddy Jackson to get his kit on!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:38 pm

I hope Curtis and Lowry are ready because we are going to find out if McPhillips is out any length of time

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:42 pm

Just realised I haven't even noticed Mark Bennett is playing

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:42 pm

ffs not another injury

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:44 pm

I've always thought he was a decent player. Probably end up at Bristol!

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:44 pm

neilthom7 wrote:I hope Curtis and Lowry are ready because we are going to find out if McPhillips is out any length of time

Lowrys injured is he not?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next