The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster V Edinburgh

+19
The Great Aukster
Eejit
RuggerRadge2611
tigertattie
Maine man
carpet baboon
Artful_Dodger
RossAnderson
RDW
Welshmushroom
Pete330v2
BigGee
VinceWLB
toml
SecretFly
neilthom7
rodders
marty2086
EWT Spoons
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Ulster V Edinburgh - Page 3 Empty Ulster V Edinburgh

Post by RDW Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:11 am

First topic message reminder :

Edinburgh Head Coach Richard Cockerill has named his team ahead of tomorrow night’s crucial Guinness PRO14 encounter with third-place Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium (Friday 16 February, kick-off 7.35pm) – live on BBC NI.

As Edinburgh search for their 15th win of the season in all competitions, the team selection includes five changes to the side who secured a last-gasp victory over Leinster last weekend.

In the back-three, Dougie Fife once again gets the nod at fullback. The Scotland sevens star is joined by wingers Duhan van der Merwe and Jason Harries, who starts his first league encounter since crossing the whitewash against Scarlets in round four of the competition.

An unchanged midfield sees Chris Dean partner last weekend’s match winner Mark Bennett, whilst Sam Hidalgo-Clyne returns to the starting XV to link-up with Jaco van der Walt at half-back.

In the front-row, Jordan Lay is named at loosehead and packs down alongside Murray McCallum and experienced hooker Neil Cochrane. Club captain Fraser McKenzie keeps his position in the second-row, as does Lewis Carmichael after his Man-of-the-Match performance against Leinster last weekend.

Number eight Cornell du Preez is welcomed back into the side from Scotland duty, whilst John Hardie returns to the fray to partner Bill Mata in the back-row.

Head Coach, Richard Cockerill said: “They have a good team and very strong squad, and they’ve had their difficulties for obvious reasons, but now it’s for us to go there and front up.

If we lose on Friday night, it’s not the end of our play-off hopes. For us it’s nice, as a team, that were putting ourselves in the position where we’re actually competing for play-offs - which is a step forward.

“I expect Ulster to be favourites and I expect them to be confident, but I’m also confident and I believe in our playing group.”

Edinburgh team to face Ulster in the Guinness PRO14 at the Kingspan Stadium on Friday 16 February (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on BBC NI.

15. Dougie Fife (98)

14. Jason Harries (6)

13. Mark Bennett (4)

12. Chris Dean (58)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (9)

10. Jaco van der Walt (9)

9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (101)

1. Jordan Lay (3)

2. Neil Cochrane (67)

3. Murray McCallum (34)

4. Fraser McKenzie (96) CAPTAIN

5. Lewis Carmichael (24)

6. Bill Mata (29)

7. John Hardie (25)

8. Cornell du Preez (96)

Replacements: 16. Cameron Fenton (7); 17. Rory Sutherland (58); 18. Eliot Millar Mills (2); 19. Magnus Bradbury (44); 20. Luke Crosbie (9); 21. Nathan Fowles (51); 22. Duncan Weir (26); 23. Glenn Bryce (31)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Ulster V Edinburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Ulster V Edinburgh

Post by RossAnderson Sat 17 Feb 2018, 10:38 am

Brilliant result. Thought edinburgh were pretty dominant for large portions of the game without converting that into points. Thought mark bennett was excellent (as was luke marshall). Surely hes worth a bench spot next week over the falcons boy whos name now escapes me.

RossAnderson

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 17 Feb 2018, 10:49 am

RossAnderson wrote:Brilliant result. Thought edinburgh were pretty dominant for large portions of the game without converting that into points. Thought mark bennett was excellent (as was luke marshall). Surely hes worth a bench spot next week over the falcons boy whos name now escapes me.

I commented during the game that I barely noticed Bennett was playing until he made a good break around 60 minutes. He'd mainly been limited to defensive duties until then.

The form choice for Scotland bench just now is Nick Grigg who was at his barreling best last night!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat 17 Feb 2018, 10:52 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Hazel - we barely touched the ball in the first 15 minutes or so - it was all Ulster. When we got the ball we gave it away almost immediately and barely strung more than 3 phases together.

It probably isn't a coincidence that our change in fortune coincided with Ulster losing their 10, who has been playing very well.

It wasn't because I started watching? Crying or Very sad

Would explain why Edinburgh were behind. I just saw the back end of the Ulster try and went back to Glasgow before moving over to watch Edinburgh mainly (why they schedule them for the same time) at around the 25-30 minute mark.

What is the Ulster feeling on McPhillips? Is he a stand-in or is he the new number 1 (assuming Jackson is done regardless of the trial result)?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 17 Feb 2018, 12:12 pm

He deserves more chances hazel but I’d say his season looks over and we will be in the market for a new 10 next season

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sat 17 Feb 2018, 12:15 pm

McPhillips has looked good and as a young man would be as good a No 2 FH as we could hope for.
Has shown some real promise.
Too early to be the main man though

The rest of the season we are truly screwed - our next in line FH - Lowry is injured as well

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sat 17 Feb 2018, 2:06 pm

I've liked the look of McPhillips. Just think he needs to be battle hardened if you know what I mean. Let his body and mind get used to the physicality of pro rugby. Its a shame if his season is over. I think he will develop into a good fly half.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 17 Feb 2018, 10:21 pm

Bennett is still a classy player. The issue he had last night was not getting much ball.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 18 Feb 2018, 7:30 am

Maine man wrote:I've liked the look of McPhillips. Just think he needs to be battle hardened if you know what I mean. Let his body and mind get used to the physicality of pro rugby. Its a shame if his season is over. I think he will develop into a good fly half.
What's a shame is that he has been with Ulster for two seasons and didn't make his debut until this year. He should have had time in the team, when it was obvious that Windsor and Herron were lemons. Any other club would have seen that Pienaar was leaving and Jackson might be missing, so McP would have come into this season with some hardened experience. The irony is that if Ulster hadn't failed in The ERCC Johnny would be watching Stephen Donald from the stand and still getting no experience.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 18 Feb 2018, 9:39 am

All true but at least some young forwards are getting game time this year

I'd like to think that is Gibbes who has been pushing their case - it is the optimist in me

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3