The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Apprentice - SEMI FINAL

+6
Fernando
nadeem2099
TwisT
Hero
Marky
Trebs
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Apprentice - SEMI FINAL - Page 2 Empty The Apprentice - SEMI FINAL

Post by Trebs Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:17 am

First topic message reminder :

This is the semi-final, in which the candidates will be narrowed from five down to two.

In the show, the semi-final is the interview stage. So in a v2 apprentice first, we will be following the show format, conducting interviews via PM. Following the interviews with everyone, I will post the conversations for all to see.

The interview you will be facing is for the Arsenal manager's job. Arsene Wenger will be parting company with the club at the end of the season, and I want you to show me that you have what it takes to be his successor.

I want to receive your 'business plan' by next Wednesday 21st February at 12.00 midday. This will be examined, with a series of questions asked to see if you are the right candidate for the job. I wish to see this via a PM.

The plan should include the following aspects (Note that this is just a starting point as a guide and is not exhaustive):
1. Any other staff you wish to bring in to assist you, such as an assistant manager.
2. Transfer plans for the next window - both in and out.
3. Targets on the pitch for the next five years.
4. The playing style and XI that would be used next season.

Please ask any questions you may have on this page.

Thank you,
Trebs

Trebs

Back to top Go down

The Apprentice - SEMI FINAL - Page 2 Empty Re: The Apprentice - SEMI FINAL

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 6:41 am

Thank you for recognising the research I’d done into the club, whilst you think times are a changing to quote Bob Dylan neither the official board report nor city analytical evidence provided any huge increase in transfer funds available, a gross spend of £120m is above and beyond what Arsenal have already ever done.
Regarding a centre back, I have brought in Lenglet as 3rd choice CB to provide competition to the main pairing and to eventually replace Koscielny but I personally do not think the issue is with Arsenal’s back four and more so with the need for a quality DM/DLP to shield the defence which I have identified in Meyer. As stated in my interview the sale of Lacazette is not cast in iron, I cannot force a player out of the club who’s under contract but I would take onboard any decent offers for him and then act accordingly. If he was to be sold in the summer window then I would look at a back up striker to Aubameyang. I would though also be confident to give Eddie Nketiah a run out in the 1st team if no preplacement was found and have belief in the younger players coming into the squad.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 7:04 am

Trebs wrote:Marky
Your solution to the aging Petr Cech is the best, in my opinion. Everyone signed a young goalkeeper, but loaning him back for a year and seeing out Cech's contract is smart. I also think Emre Can is an astute signing.
There is also a clear succession plan in place, with Patrick Vieira coming in as your assistant, and stating you'd be at the club for 3-5 years.
You obviously submitted the best XI on paper. But the elephant in the room is a very big spend. A net of £275m, with only Xhaka leaving. I don't think Arsenal would be willing to spend so much, with a large increase in wages also noted. Can you justify this?

Yeah, if you like.

Arsenal need to spend this kind of money, not every season admittedly, to be able to catch up and compete with City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea. £275m is a lot but as I said previously, it's not if you look at the amount of money that comes into the club via TV money, prize money and also, Arsenal charge the most money for their tickets too, so it's definitely affordable for the club.

Any top manager going into Arsenal, be it Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp, John Yems ( Wink ) would demand a similar transfer kitty. Guardiola just spent £100m on new fullbacks, by spending the £275m and £40m in wages, Arsenal would become one of the best sides in Europe and would be able to actually compete for top prizes instead of relying on the odd domestic cup final to keep things ticking over.

It's bold I admit, but I'd much rather lose this task by being too ambitious than by not being ambitious enough. The only signing who anyone could question would be Koke and that's only "why would he join Arsenal" rather than "why would you spend that much on him?". The rest nobody is worrying about, and I'm glad you agree on Emre Can, as him being a free agent we'd actually be saving £40-£50m on signing an equivalent player.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 Feb 2018, 7:07 am

Trebs wrote:
Olly
I think you've built a good backroom team around you and wrote a very nice piece. Your signings show a clear strategy of building a young team, with the intention of getting the Premier League in a couple of years rather than next season.
However, you're dreaming if you think you'll be able to get Ryan Sessengnon for £20m. I also wonder if you've got the game changers for the here and now.

This isn’t a question Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 26 Feb 2018, 7:30 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Trebs wrote:
Olly
I think you've built a good backroom team around you and wrote a very nice piece. Your signings show a clear strategy of building a young team, with the intention of getting the Premier League in a couple of years rather than next season.
However, you're dreaming if you think you'll be able to get Ryan Sessengnon for £20m. I also wonder if you've got the game changers for the here and now.

Not a question per se, you're right.

Do you agree with my comments though? Should you have signed better players for the here and now?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 7:42 am

Arsenal's last financial statement showed they had a bank balance of £101.6m and an overall net debt owed of £47.4m.
Arsenal are owned by Arsenal Holding PLC and their shareholders, not a multi billionaire individual treating it as a play toy.

They do not have the money to buy the volume of players that some in the task have put forward, it's not up for debate, it's just financially a fact.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 26 Feb 2018, 7:49 am

That makes my plan completely viable then.

£101.6m in the bank, £141m raised through transfer fees, total spend of £158m.

I do think that is too simplistic a way of looking at it, transfer fees are never paid all up front, player contracts and fees are amortised over the life of a contract so I do think that there is plenty of scope on top of that.

As for future funding, and whether Arsenal could go crazy with fees if they chose to do so:

Arsenal are owned by Arsenal Holding PLC and their shareholders, not a multi billionaire individual treating it as a play toy

Stan Kroenke owns 67% of Arsenal Holding PLC, Usmanov owns 30% - 93% of the club is owned by two individuals with a net worth of $8bn and $13bn respectively

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:01 am

But they are still a company with shareholders who have a clear history of being frugal with the funds.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:02 am

Stan won't let Usmanov do anything though

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:03 am

If they chose to do so

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:08 am

Fernando wrote:Stan won't let Usmanov do anything though

As soon as you provide me a response to my questions, I can move on.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:09 am

I'd argue that's because Wenger is pulling the strings.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:12 am

BamBam wrote:That makes my plan completely viable then.

£101.6m in the bank, £141m raised through transfer fees, total spend of £158m.

I do think that is too simplistic a way of looking at it, transfer fees are never paid all up front, player contracts and fees are amortised over the life of a contract so I do think that there is plenty of scope on top of that.

As for future funding, and whether Arsenal could go crazy with fees if they chose to do so:

Arsenal are owned by Arsenal Holding PLC and their shareholders, not a multi billionaire individual treating it as a play toy

Stan Kroenke owns 67% of Arsenal Holding PLC, Usmanov owns 30% - 93% of the club is owned by two individuals with a net worth of $8bn and $13bn respectively

Just for context - Abramovich has a net worth of $11.5bn, and Chelsea have no issue spending £100-£150m per summer

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:13 am

Trebs wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Trebs wrote:
Olly

Not a question per se, you're right.

Do you agree with my comments though? Should you have signed better players for the here and now?

I have maybe underestimated the price of sessegnon admittedly (although weirdly the price I’ve seen touted around came from Jimmy Bullard, so take that with a pinch of salt!) but I disagree that I haven’t signed better players for the here and now. Tah, Malcom, Diawara, Neves and Tarkowski are all proven to be exceptional players, and I think the youngsters I’ve signed have the talent to come off the bench and change games.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:23 am

Thoughts on things ive read

marky
Koke, Emre Can aint happening due to A money and B can is off to Juve and without them i don't think we'd be any better then we are now. Also 7 in 1 out is unrealistic

Hero
Physios been changed recently so strange move
Selling Nacho seems harsh, Lacazette wouldn't get £50 on current form
Not entirely convinced your signing would help our issues

Bam
i like Santi's addition to staff
Apart from Fekir not sure we'd improve at all

olly
only thing can criticize is his back up signings honestly.

my response to this
Aaron Ramsey's contract renewal was something which you were the only person to spot, the others might have ended up in a situation similar to Ozil and Sanchez this season and in my opinion, he is a key player for Arsenal. I also think offloading Bellerin is a good move.
However, compared to the other presentations, I found yours a bit lackluster. The staff plans weren't there, in the interview you said it was for continuity but everyone else had thought this through. You've not provided the same level of detail that your rivals have shown.

The staff plans werent there cos they didn't need changing up with new faces more a restructuring into roles that'll suit them. e.g Bould given more defensive duties as said in interview not much else needed changing as most had recently

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:26 am

Marky wrote:

I'd argue that's because Wenger is pulling the strings.

Stan won't even allow Alisher on the board so seems unlikely.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:30 am

I have made a decision on my first finalist.

Olly - you're in the final. Your presentation was the best written, there are a couple of mistakes but all in all, I like that you have a long term goal and are bringing in the best young English talent.

Go back to the house.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:32 am

Well done Olly!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:35 am

Fernando

You were very lucky not to be fired on the previous task, as my intention was to lose two. My main reason for keeping you in was due to thinking this task would suit you.
I don't think your submission is as good as the others. Had you wished for continuity in terms of staff, that's fine. But you didn't specify that in your presentation. I also don't think your goals have been explored in the same level of detail as the others.

There is not the level of vision with your plan and you didn't provide enough when questioned, particularly when asked how long you want to stay as Arsenal boss.

I see no alternative, but, with regret Fernando, you're fired.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:37 am

i could of given a flawless plan and id have got fired tbf said it to Hero before this started Laugh

Congrats Ole

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:38 am

Fernando wrote:i could of given a flawless plan and id have got fired tbf said it to Hero before this started Laugh

But you didn't Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:38 am

Fernando wrote:i could of given a flawless plan and id have got fired tbf said it to Hero before this started Laugh

Congrats Ole

If you'd have given the best plan you'd be in the final.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:40 am

nadeem2099 wrote:Nando should easily win this task Whistle
ffs nando you've disgraced your fellow gooners out there Laugh I bet even the guys on ArsenalFanTv would do a better job than you!
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:44 am

Fernando wrote:Thoughts on things ive read

marky
Koke, Emre Can aint happening due to A money and B can is off to Juve and without them i don't think we'd be any better then we are now. Also 7 in 1 out is unrealistic

Koke is up to individual interpretation.

Emre Can hasn't signed any deal yet, so he's just as viable a signing as anybody else anyone signed.

7 in 1 out isn't actually what I've done. This is why you aren't running things, because you can't read.

6 in, 2 out actually, with Cazorla being released. And then 1 in 1 out when Butland replaces Cech.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:45 am

Marky wrote:

But you didn't Laugh

Did a better job then you or bam. kiss So if either of you 2 make it then Trebs is disgracing the Azzrentice history more then i did Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:45 am

Hero

How many sides do you see going to a transfer window without a plan. The first window when Wenger leaves is crucial. I accept that plans change and all depending on availability, but I think you're using this to backtrack.

You must be able to accept that for the purposes of this, I can only go off what's on the page. You have made a mistake of having Aubemayang as your only senior striker.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:46 am

Fernando wrote:
Marky wrote:

But you didn't Laugh

Did a better job then you or bam. kiss  So if either of you 2 make it then Trebs is disgracing the Azzrentice history more then i did Laugh

Did you? Is that why you were first to be sacked?

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:46 am

Fernando wrote:
Marky wrote:

But you didn't Laugh

Did a better job then you or bam. kiss  So if either of you 2 make it then Trebs is disgracing the Azzrentice history more then i did Laugh

All you did was play FIFA career mode up until 1 September then turn off your Xbox and go to sleep

Not enough detail to call it FM career mode

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:48 am

I also particularly liked the idea of Arsenal signing Fekir and Reus, with one of them immediately being a rotation player while Mkhi fookin Taryan starts Laugh

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:49 am

Literally what everyone has done Whistle It's nice you to take us towards the bottom half of the league though lads The Apprentice - SEMI FINAL - Page 2 3559488474

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:51 am

I actually thought Reus was no more realistic a signing as Koke would be, considering he adores Dortmund.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:53 am

Literally a few months ago said the following

"“There are four or five international clubs who interest me.

“On May 31 next year, I will turn 30. That would be my last big contract and a final opportunity to try something different."

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:53 am

IMHO Marky has done the best job. Sure some of his signings are ambitious but if you keep on signing Poopie average players like Arsenal have done for the past decade or so, you ain't winning jack.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:54 am

Fernando wrote:Literally what everyone has done Whistle It's nice you to take us towards the bottom half of the league though lads The Apprentice - SEMI FINAL - Page 2 3559488474

Liquidation in some cases!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:58 am

nadeem2099 wrote:IMHO Marky has done the best job. Sure some of his signings are ambitious but if you keep on signing Poopie average players like Arsenal have done for the past decade or so, you ain't winning jack.

Might as well just say they'll sign Neymar, Mbappe etc if best job equals fantasy.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 26 Feb 2018, 9:00 am

Yeah, can I revise my plan for the following signings

Dragowski > De Gea
De Vrij > Ramos
Evans > Umtiti
Torreira > Busquets
Doucoure > Thiago
Fekir > Neymar
Max > Marcelo

That should cover it

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 9:00 am

If the task was 'have an unlimited budget and choose some players' then Marky's is the best. It wasn't though, financial constraints have to be taken into account. We're managing Arsenal not City or PSG.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 9:01 am

Hero wrote:
Fernando wrote:Literally what everyone has done Whistle It's nice you to take us towards the bottom half of the league though lads The Apprentice - SEMI FINAL - Page 2 3559488474

Liquidation in some cases!

Clutching at straws again. Fear of liquidation or not (because as Bam pointed out, the two major shareholders are worth billions so that wouldn't happen), got to be better than selling a £50m striker for significantly less and not replacing him, or not signing a new starting CB, which is one of the two key areas (alongside DM) everyone knows Arsenal need to improve.

But yeah, focus on other submissions' finances all you like Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 9:03 am

Hero wrote:
nadeem2099 wrote:IMHO Marky has done the best job. Sure some of his signings are ambitious but if you keep on signing Poopie average players like Arsenal have done for the past decade or so, you ain't winning jack.

Might as well just say they'll sign Neymar, Mbappe etc if best job equals fantasy.

Literally one signing is of that world class bracket, so you're talking nonsense.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 Feb 2018, 9:16 am

Trebs wrote:I have made a decision on my first finalist.

Olly - you're in the final. Your presentation was the best written, there are a couple of mistakes but all in all, I like that you have a long term goal and are bringing in the best young English talent.

Go back to the house.

Cheers Mr Trebs.

Can you tell the other finalist to purchase some tissues on their way back, I may have used all the others by then...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:00 am

Trebs wrote:Hero

How many sides do you see going to a transfer window without a plan. The first window when Wenger leaves is crucial. I accept that plans change and all depending on availability, but I think you're using this to backtrack.

You must be able to accept that for the purposes of this, I can only go off what's on the page. You have made a mistake of having Aubemayang as your only senior striker.

So Hero, was it an oversight that your squad was so thin?

A small spend is nice and all, but I think times are changing at Arsenal. Two £50m signings this season in Aubamayang and Lacazette, added to the stadium being paid off and ever increasing tv money.

And above all else, you've said the plans aren't set in stone. It's weasel words in my eyes.

I am really struggling to see you in the final Hero.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:13 am

Arsenal have a net spend this year of -3m, they've gained additional funded from tv deals (which already was in place for this season) but on the flip side aren't in the CL this season nor will be next.
Choose one of the wild finance packages if you want but if this is meant to be based on the Apprentice then I'm the only one that actually has looked at the club's budget and what they can actually afford.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:18 am

He's panicking lads

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:19 am

It's also not a 'small spend'.
It's still more than the club has ever spent in an entire year.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:23 am

You're right about doing much better with the budget, I'm the first to admit that my presentation is based on a new manager being backed by the board and majority shareholders adding some cash, but you've gone too far the other way and your dealings would not be pushing Arsenal FC forward.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:26 am

How is spending more than the club has ever done before, too far the other way?
Show me any evidence that Arsenal as a club has the money to make more of an impact in the transfer market.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:27 am

Hero wrote:It's also not a 'small spend'.

It's a small net spend of 5m.

You may be right that Marky overspent, but you should have been more ambitious with your own spend.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:27 am

Your presentation is based on hopes and dreams, mine is based on budget sheets and reality.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:29 am

Trebs wrote:
Hero wrote:It's also not a 'small spend'.

It's a small net spend of 5m.

You may be right that Marky overspent, but you should have been more ambitious with your own spend.

Which is more so than the net spend this year when the tv money is in, the stadium is paid for, the CL money from last year etc of -3m.
I'll ask you this back then Trebs, where is the money coming from, sack me if you want, but show me any proof from a proper source that Arsenal can go big in the market.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:29 am

Bam, You do represent a good middle ground compared to the other two proposals still in play. But I'm really not convinced your signings are a significant improvement on what Arsenal currently have. I don't think they are and I think you've been too safe.

You say you'd sign some of these big names once you've made the champions league, but are you not better signing them now before their price escalates even more?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:50 am

I think they are a fairly significant improvement.

Look at the players I have targeted

Evans and De Vrij - Evans was apparently being targeted by the best team in the country last summer. De Vrij is probably a top 5 CB in Italy, and is linked to every major club now he's available on a free transfer, both are upgrades on Mustafi and Koscielny

Torreira and Doucoure - You clearly like Olly's signings but has Diawara shown anything better than Torreira this season?

He has been relegated to the bench behind Jorginho, playing 90 mins just 3 times in the league this season. Torreira has been one of the brightest midfield talents in Italy, genuinely running the game week in week out and offering a goal threat added to his combative play. Equally, Doucoure has stood out in a weak Watford side, and looks to have the ability to play at a stronger level - I don't think bringing him in as a rotational option is a weaker idea than playing Xhaka

Fekir speaks for himself. Max and Dragovic are brought in with an eye on the future, not for immediate success.

As for the big names, I don't believe that the likes of Rabiot or Koulibaly are going to sign for Arsenal this summer in a million years - I look at their signings as the two that are going to take this club from a top 4 side to a team which can genuinely dominate the league.

I don't think they are realistic this summer, and would rather wait a year and sign them when it is possible, rather than do a David Moyes style "I'm going to sign Kroos and Fabregas" and end up with Fellaini

Price isn't a factor - if we are in agreement that the funds are available and my plan shows that is, the price increase next summer matters not one bit

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next