The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

+27
RDW
VinceWLB
BigGee
rumpelstiltskindoh
No9
geoff999rugby
Eejit
ScarletSpiderman
Sin é
SecretFly
SirJohnnyEnglish
Cardiff Dave
Brendan
LeinsterFan4life
RiscaGame
Pete330v2
Kingshu
carpet baboon
LondonTiger
profitius
PenfroPete
munkian
LordDowlais
BamBam
No 7&1/2
Welly
RugbyFan100
31 posters

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season - Page 5 Empty BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by RugbyFan100 Tue 06 Mar 2018, 11:58 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43302261

Live coverage of club rugby will not be shown on BBC Two Wales next season after the BBC failed to reach a deal to continue broadcasting the Pro 14 tournament.

Competition organisers are understood to have awarded the UK rights to a pay-TV service, but BBC Wales had hoped to continue broadcasting games in Wales.

It means viewers will no longer be able to watch club games on free-to-air television in English. Negotiations over Welsh language rights are ongoing.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season - Page 5 Empty Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by Kingshu Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:24 pm

Why are people annoyied at this. Since SKY came in we knew free to air was going to go eventually. It was nice but we all agree that the PRO 14 needs to bring in more money. This has been a stick used to beat it by a few poster. However as quoted (
despite, what they say was a "significantly increased financial bid" they have not been able to secure rights.)

This is great news! A significantly increased financial bid was not enough to secure the PRO 14 TV rights. Which points to us getting more than a significant increase in TV money.

Happy days.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season - Page 5 Empty Re: BBC Wales out of running to show Pro 14 next season

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:30 pm

Kingshu

Premier sports will not get many subscribers from the UK because of the rights to air the Pro14.

Infact I did not know anything about Premier Sports until this came up. I do not know a single person who subscribes to it, I have never had a conversation about it, hardly anybody here in the UK knows anything about it.

This is all short term gain, for long term fail.

If SKY or BT had got it, then I would understand, but they did not even bid for the rights, the only people who would most likely benefit from this deal are the Irish, as they already subscribe to one of the channels EIR sports or what ever it's called.

The Pro14 will be for the people in Ireland only from now on.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:34 pm

You come across a bit prejudiced tbf.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:35 pm

Also, I have just googled EIR Sport.

Look, I am not going to town with this, but feck me, the Irish have had a belter of a deal here.

And anybody who says otherwise are full of it.

Eir sport 1
Eir Sport 2
BT sport 1
BT sport 2
BT sport 3
BT sport ESPN
Box Nation

All in one package. FFS. Come on. If Premier Sports gives us all the same package then fine. But it will not. I will have to subscribe to a host of channels.

In fact I have just made my mind up, I will not be doing it out of principle. I will just support my local team. I will leave the Irish to their league. The Pro14 will not be around for long.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:42 pm

All speculation.

We're all doomed lol

For now it appears to be great news. Theres not enough information to say otherwise.

Premier Sports may be about to burst onto the scence with a big publicity push for all you know.

We do know its more than a significantly increased deal.

"The Pro14 will be for the people in Ireland only from now on." - what nonsense you sprout. You know nothing off the broadcaster the deal how games will be shown but you can conclude with zero information that the Pro 14 is for the people of Ireland only.

How about waiting for detials before going on your PRO 14 is run by Irish mafia nonsense.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Mar 2018, 5:59 pm

I could only wish I could get the package you get currently in Ireland, that the Pro14 gave the rights to show their games on.

It is a deal that suits the Irish, end of.

Unless this Premier Sports deal is the same as the EIR Sports deal, then it will be the death of the Pro14 in the UK. Nobody will be watching it over here. Interest will fade.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 06 Mar 2018, 6:11 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I could only wish I could get the package you get currently in Ireland, that the Pro14 gave the rights to show their games on.

Unless this Premier Sports deal is the same as the EIR Sports deal, then it will be the death of the Pro14 in the UK. Nobody will be watching it over here. Interest will fade.

Feck me. No final deal has been announced.
NO FINAL DEAL HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED
yet you wail
And I didn't realize you not only know but speak for the entire Welsh population.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Mar 2018, 6:12 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I could only wish I could get the package you get currently in Ireland, that the Pro14 gave the rights to show their games on.

yet you wail
And I didn't realize you not only know but speak for the entire Welsh population.

We'll soon see.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 06 Mar 2018, 6:22 pm

Pure speculation and nonsense.

Why do you do it Dowlas?

If you aren't speculating, and reaching a conclusion of Irish bias with Zero evidence then post a link where the Priemier Sports confirms that it will show the PRO 14.

Because if you cannot confirm even who the broadcaster is then you have nothing and really should wind your neck in, before claiming Irish bias.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 06 Mar 2018, 6:24 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

yet you wail

We'll soon see.

We all will.
I'm sure you will still find enough to rage against the Irish machine.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 06 Mar 2018, 7:06 pm

"Look, I am not going to town with this, but feck me, the Irish have had a belter of a deal here.
And anybody who says otherwise are full of it."

No deals have been made but even if we did get a better TV deal.....well so what? Thems the breaks. I personally won't be signing up to Eirsport or Premier Sports, I'm sure there are many, many more like me. I'll be firing up my Mobdro and watching them all for free, you can do exactly the same.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 06 Mar 2018, 7:08 pm

I’m absolutely gutted I have to get off my armchair and watch my team now.

Oh hang on, I do that anyway.

Scrum V is a load of rubbish anyway. The programme should’ve been put to bed a while ago, given the lack of care they show the Welsh pro teams. Five minutes of talk before the game and probably similar after. Their highlights programme will talk more about Team Wales when it can.

Any casual supporter who wants to watch will find a way. I don’t pay for sky box office, yet I can watch any event I want. I don’t have sky sports or BT, yet I manage there too. Modern technology eh.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 06 Mar 2018, 7:12 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:"Look, I am not going to town with this, but feck me, the Irish have had a belter of a deal here.
And anybody who says otherwise are full of it."

No deals have been made but even if we did get a better TV deal.....well so what? Thems the breaks. I personally won't be signing up to Eirsport or Premier Sports, I'm sure there are many, many more like me. I'll be firing up my Mobdro and watching them all for free, you can do exactly the same.
This isnt lucky...the Irish get the better deals because we actually go out and support the teams in mass in the stadiums and on tv. Munster and Leinster get some of the highest attendances in club rugby and our viewing figures on SKY and BY in Euro rugby are quite large. That's a very attractive product to companies such as EIR who are looking to become big players in the sports market

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 06 Mar 2018, 7:17 pm

So haven't post in over two years but decided to get back in

So from what I can see are
1. TV money increased so teams better able to keep better players
2. I can't watch 3 games on a Friday or Saturday so more likely to go see my team
3. Sky's combined bid for the UK and Ireland was less than what EIR & Premier bid (logic says if SKY for both countries had been more than PRO14 would have picked them)
4. Since the creation of the Celtic League the three Celtic Nations are able to compete at the Highest level and are improving. Before the league there were 5 big teams and then the little Celts.
5. Italy are copying Scotland by improving their teams in the league because they know it's the only way to improve the national team.
6. The Pro14 is improving in skill and is becoming a better league product. Look at how many players from the PRO14 have made their debut and have held their own shows the league gets them to the required level
7. Bad coaches make bad teams nd the PRO14 are getting better coaches
8. Success brings fans quicker than FTA

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2018, 7:52 pm

Is this the fastest 5 pages of posts in 606v2 history?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Mar 2018, 7:52 pm

P.s. I haven't read them. F**k that!

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 06 Mar 2018, 8:07 pm

Brendan wrote:So haven't post in over two years but decided to get back in

So from what I can see are
1. TV money increased so teams better able to keep better players
2. I can't watch 3 games on a Friday or Saturday so more likely to go see my team
3. Sky's combined bid for the UK and Ireland was less than what EIR & Premier bid (logic says if SKY for both countries had been more than PRO14 would have picked them)
4. Since the creation of the Celtic League the three Celtic Nations are able to compete at the Highest level and are improving.  Before the league there were 5 big teams and then the little Celts.
5. Italy are copying Scotland by improving their teams in the league because they know it's the only way to improve the national team.
6. The Pro14 is improving in skill and is becoming a better league product. Look at how many players from the PRO14 have made their debut and have held their own shows the league gets them to the required level
7. Bad coaches make bad teams nd the PRO14 are getting better coaches
8. Success brings fans quicker than FTA

Welcome back Brendan. Good post there.

I'll add another positive that I have not seen mentioned. If you're a Pro14 fan in the UK, you will save a lot of money if it moves from sky to premier sports!! Amazingly people are complaining like its the pro14's fault if they want to keep sky sports and BT sports to watch other tournaments and other sports. For fans of the league, they're saving money and sky has lost the rights to the champions cup rugby too so for rugby fans they'll save if they buy BT and Premier compared to BT and Sky.

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 06 Mar 2018, 8:26 pm

Does this mean that the Beeb will have even more cash to spend on their friends, relatives and tennis partners?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 06 Mar 2018, 8:39 pm

And what the Welsh intelligentsia have overlooked is that if everything is being geared towards the Irish and as bad as they claim, why are some Irish fans being screwed by the reported new deals?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJohnnyEnglish Tue 06 Mar 2018, 9:10 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Also, I have just googled EIR Sport.

Look, I am not going to town with this, but feck me, the Irish have had a belter of a deal here.

Eir sport 1
Eir Sport 2
BT sport 1
BT sport 2
BT sport 3
BT sport ESPN
Box Nation

All in one package. FFS. Come on. If Premier Sports gives us all the same package then fine. But it will not. I will have to subscribe to a host of channels.

In fact I have just made my mind up, I will not be doing it out of principle. I will just support my local team. I will leave the Irish to their league. The Pro14 will not be around for long.
What makes it even better is you get a free subscription if you're an eir broadband customer  Yahoo

SirJohnnyEnglish

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 06 Mar 2018, 10:41 pm

SirJohnnyEnglish wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Also, I have just googled EIR Sport.

Eir sport 1
Eir Sport 2
BT sport 1
BT sport 2
BT sport 3
BT sport ESPN
Box Nation

What makes it even better is you get a free subscription if you're an eir broadband customer  Yahoo

The cherry on top. Very Happy
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 06 Mar 2018, 10:45 pm

Call me crazy but I think being able to pay €10 a month for a particular sport I want to watch is better than paying €40 a month mainly for sports I don't watch.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 06 Mar 2018, 10:52 pm

The Oracle wrote:Is this the fastest 5 pages of posts in 606v2 history?!

I concur with that opinion. Five pages of guff *ahem* sorry, astute insight....and I can't be blamed for most of it?

Yahoo drumroll Great news!

Anyway, back to the serious stuff. Five instant pages of crap *ahem* I mean riveting discussion in so short a space of time must only mean one thing; Pro14 is growing in popularity all the time and now with Eir giving it an extra 12 billion a year..., well, things are looking splendid!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 06 Mar 2018, 10:54 pm

profitius wrote:Call me crazy but I think being able to pay €10 a month for a particular sport I want to watch is better than paying €40 a month mainly for sports I don't watch.

You don't watch the Perth Ostrich Egg Laying League???? Jesus, prof, you do lead a closeted life.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 06 Mar 2018, 10:56 pm

RugbyFan100 wrote:

Yes, Sky were outbid for the Irish rights only.

Sky wanted both UK and Ireland, which would have been great. But the Pro14 wanted the irish rights to go to EirSports. So Sky bailed.

Yes, Sky wanted to pay less - that is correct.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:34 am

LordDowlais wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:The Welsh and Scottish look set to be shafted unless something changes. Unsurprising, but true.

Is this Premier Sports channel an Irish sports channel then ?

I asked earlier but nobody will answer me.

Background info here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/how-setanta-survives-and-thrives-in-the-competitive-world-of-tv-sport-1.2145979
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 07 Mar 2018, 7:07 am

Could the pro 14 separating the ROI and UK rights be down to brexit?
Could they be looking to future proof themselves from any complications?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:34 am

carpet baboon wrote:Could the pro 14 separating the ROI and UK rights be down to brexit?

I'd say its more of the IRFU deciding that its every man for himself after the SRU & WRU's lack of support for the staging of the 2023 world cup in Ireland.

What goes around, comes around.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:39 am

carpet baboon wrote:

yet you wail

I have heard a lot of people saying that they have BT sports and Sky sprots already, and that they will not be paying anything extra for another channel. Most have said that they will watch the English Rugby on BT, and the European stuff, and possibly turn up for the big game (like they do now) if they know they are on. So it does seem likely to have an impact on people paying attention to the regions inside of Wales.

Personally, I am not sold eitehr way yet. However i have heard mublings that it will only be games played inside of the UK that will be shown, so I am wondering if £120 a year will be worth it to watch one ot two away games on TV (depending on if we have the other conference's Scottish side at home or away that year). If that is true I can not see me convincing the wife it is value for money, however if there will be better covereage of away fixtures then that would be different. Guess it is just sitting by and waiting to see what happens with S4C, and with Premier Sport (when its announced).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:46 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

yet you wail

I have heard a lot of people saying that they have BT sports and Sky sprots already, and that they will not be paying anything extra for another channel.  Most have said that they will watch the English Rugby on BT, and the European stuff, and possibly turn up for the big game (like they do now) if they know they are on.  So it does seem likely to have an impact on people paying attention to the regions inside of Wales.

Personally, I am not sold eitehr way yet.  However i have heard mublings that it will only be games played inside of the UK that will be shown, so I am wondering if £120 a year will be worth it to watch one ot two away games on TV (depending on if we have the other conference's Scottish side at home or away that year).  If that is true I can not see me convincing the wife it is value for money, however if there will be better covereage of away fixtures then that would be different.  Guess it is just sitting by and waiting to see what happens with S4C, and with Premier Sport (when its announced).

And that was my point. Untill we see how it works we have no idea.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:48 am

Sin é wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:Could the pro 14 separating the ROI and UK rights be down to brexit?

I'd say its more of the IRFU deciding that its every man for himself after the SRU & WRU's lack of support for the staging of the 2023 world cup in Ireland.

Well I very much doubt that, as it's the pro14 who decide the TV contracts not the irfu

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:49 am

Sin é wrote:

But like the Murphy’s, you’re not bitter.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:50 am

Carpet, the thing is the 'big game only' fans are very plastic, and most I know seem to have made their minds up already (its easier for them they only have little brains). Whilst I personally have little time for the 'big game fans' they are still important in growing the attendances, and will be a loss.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:51 am

It looks like BBC Wales, Alba and NI are out of the running now.

No news on S4C yet.

Is the Irish language channel still in the running ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Carpet, the thing is the 'big game only' fans are very plastic, and most I know seem to have made their minds up already (its easier for them they only have little brains).  Whilst I personally have little time for the 'big game fans' they are still important in growing the attendances, and will be a loss.

I agree. But until we actually know how this all pans out I find the panty clutching a bit much

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:55 am

munkian wrote:It looks like BBC Wales, Alba and NI are out of the running now.

No news on S4C yet.

Is the Irish language channel still in the running ?  

Where have you seen this?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:58 am

carpet baboon wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Carpet, the thing is the 'big game only' fans are very plastic, and most I know seem to have made their minds up already (its easier for them they only have little brains).  Whilst I personally have little time for the 'big game fans' they are still important in growing the attendances, and will be a loss.

I agree. But until we actually know how this all pans out I find the panty clutching a bit much

It's very similar to the panty clutching about Wayne Barnes before the game, for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:00 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
Sin é wrote:

But like the Murphy’s, you’re not bitter.

Of course we're bitter. It's all the rage this season. OK

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:04 pm

The Oracle wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

It's very similar to the panty clutching about Wayne Barnes before the game, for me.

I agree with you on that

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:07 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

I agree with you on that

People like to moan and vent about things that worry them: referees, losing TV deals, the fallout of Brexit, etc. Just natural.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:12 pm

The Oracle wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

I agree with you on that

People like to moan and vent about things that worry them: referees, losing TV deals, the fallout of Brexit, etc.  Just natural.

Its the only reason most of us are here.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:26 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:

I agree with you on that

People like to moan and vent about things that worry them: referees, losing TV deals, the fallout of Brexit, etc.  Just natural.

Its the only reason most of us are here.

Only reason I am here is because Salma Hayek chose to marry a fat balding billionaire rather than me ( a fat bald pauper)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:27 pm

It will cost £15 a month to get this new channel. They will not get many customers here in Wales.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:31 pm

LordDowlais wrote:It will cost £15 a month to get this new channel. They will not get many customers here in Wales.

You know all the people in Wales?
You are one popular guy

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:31 pm

LordDowlais wrote:It will cost £15 a month to get this new channel. They will not get many customers here in Wales.

Why do you always talk down Wales, Lord?

Oh we won't be doing that. Oh we don't like doing that. Oh we don't travel. Oh we don't pay for sport. Oh that's too much. Oh the ticket prices are too high.

It's not a 3rd World country, Wales. But you keep doing this Cavan Man thing on it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:34 pm

I'm sure you know more than all the forecasters and accountants that they will have employed to calculate exactly that

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:37 pm

Trust me, people will not pay for SKY/BT Sport and Premier sports, or all three, one will have to go in most households, and just because the Pro14 is on one channel, it will not sway many people.

It's not like that for people in Ireland though they get a package that incorporates all the channels. It will not cost any extra £££'s for the Irish fans.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:37 pm

How did you get to £15?  At the moment it is £9.99 (£11.99 for the ability to stream catch-up TV for more that 7 days), and i haven't seen anything about them upping the price.  They stream their content, so there will be no need to have a Sky package etc in order to view it.  (I have done a little reseasrch on them since this time yesterday)

Also, it is a one-month rolling contract, so theoretically if you know that your team are not going to be on in a particfular month, you cancel the TV channel, and take it back up again when the team will be on TV.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:42 pm

Quick question.
Reading up about the bids. A couple of sources were quoting the BBC originally payed £4.5 million for the rights for the pro14 for BBC Wales, NI, and Alba.
But I have read on here that the 4.5 million was just from BBC Wales?

Which was it?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Mar 2018, 12:45 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

How did you get to £15?  At the moment it is £9.99 (£11.99 for the ability to stream catch-up TV for more that 7 days), and i haven't seen anything about them upping the price.  They stream their content, so there will be no need to have a Sky package etc in order to view it.  (I have done a little reseasrch on them since this time yesterday)

I checked it last night.

We also cannot get the WIFI package that they have in Ireland with EIR Sports, in Ireland they get it all in, all the BT Sports channels, WIFI, Box Nation, and all the EIR Sports channels for one price a week.

For anybody in the UK, you will have to pay the extra money on top of what ever broadband supplier you have, and any SKY and/or BT channels you have. IF you want to watch any of the regions in Europe or the Pro14 next year, then people in the UK will be paying a lot more than people in Ireland for the privilege.

We will have to fork out for BT sport and Premier sport. For most people that will be one or the other, and seeing as most people in the UK get BT sport along with BT broadband, I wonder which one they would plump for ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next