The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return of the Gypsy King!

+8
compelling and rich
rapidringsroad
catchweight
Mr Bounce
Mochyn du
Nathaniel Jacobs
LondonTiger
TRUSSMAN66
12 posters

Go down

Return of the Gypsy King! Empty Return of the Gypsy King!

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Announcement due later today, the true heavyweight king Tyson Fury has signed with Frank Warren. With return in June at the Manchester arena.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Return of the Gypsy King! Empty Re: Return of the Gypsy King!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 pm

How dull Boxing would be if all True champions fought once every 3 years..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 am

Finally the big man is back!!!

Used to hate the man, but happy to see him back and happy to see him healthy (well you presume he's healthy)

Think he could come back and become the #1 guy at HW. He may lack the power of Joshua and Wilder but he's a better boxer than both

Hopefully we can see him in those fights in 2019
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:48 am

I have to admit that I am VERY sceptical until I see him fight again in shape and against someone half decent. Granted Tyson will have ring rust, but only a good performance will do for me.

Any talk of fighting for a title for now is just that - talk. It could be a long road back, or a very short one out of boxing. Take it slowly Tyson. You're good, but in the HWs it only takes one punch to derail a career.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:30 pm

How good is he? My memory was of an average fighter who had a good plan against a lacklustre Klitschko.

Like so many sportsmen he seems to have improved in the eyes of fans while being absent.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Well he handedly beat Vlad who was on an 11 year unbeaten run and had dominated the division for a decade.

AJ scrapes past the same man and he's the best thing since sliced bread.

IF, if, if he maintains his fitness and focus then there's no reason why he can't rule again. If.

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:43 pm

FreekShow wrote:Well he handedly beat Vlad who was on an 11 year unbeaten run and had dominated the division for a decade.

AJ scrapes past the same man and he's the best thing since sliced bread.

IF, if, if he maintains his fitness and focus then there's no reason why he can't rule again. If.

Handily beat Wlad? It was close on the cards and an absolute snooze fest. It was not exactly a boxing lesson. I am no AJ fan however he beat him better than Fury did IMO.

And yes I agree he seems to have been escalated in peoples opinions since he has been out. I remember John McDermott was robbed in broad daylight against Fury and Cunningham stuck him hard on his backside. Also seem to remember Haye was huge betting favourite in both the fights albeit that never happened.

He dines out on one performance against Wlad but lets be honest with ourselves it was more his size and awkwardness that won him that fight rather than his skill. He is by no means head and shoulders above the other top ranked fighters and by no means the saviour of the division. If he proves me wrong I will happily take a huge slice of humble pie but I really do not think he is anywhere near as good he is made out.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Joshua didn't beat Wlad more convincingly ffs. Joshua was getting schooled, mesmerized by Wlad's jab. And I didn't see Tyson rolling around on the canvas against Wlad. Fury schooled Wlad the scorecards are irrelevant no way was Fury getting a shut out in Wlad's adopted home country

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:24 am

I seem to remember that Wlad got confused against Fury and decided not to throw punches. Fury is no saviour. He got one good win against an ageing champion but hasn't backed it up. Come back and beat Wilder and Joshua then he gets substance to his career, until then he's just an after dinner act.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:53 am

I don't ever recall Fury in against a big puncher who wasn't afraid to take a chance. He as good as ducked Price when they were due to meet for the British title. He has size going for him a bit of boxing ability - you don't win against Wlad on points without being half decent - but he doesn't have much power for his size and his chin is far more questionable than Joshua's. The punch that felled AJ was beautifully timed and delivered - probably would have knocked down most heavies.

As has been said, he won the title in one of the most punchless displays of a title fight the world's ever seen, yet is seen as the saviour of Boxing by some. He's unpredictable which makes him interesting in the press conferences but he doesn't exactly have a HW highlights reel, aside from uppercutting himself in the face. The public in general either love him or hate him - there's no in between it seems. However, I also think he's not as good as is made out. As Public Enemy once said: "Don't Believe The Hype".

Thing is, for me, if Fury gets tagged he goes over far easier than Joshua or Wilder. The Wlad win was as much a win for Uncle Peter as it was for Tyson, as it was his tactics that won the fight. Uncle Pete is no longer in that corner and that could make a BIG difference. I hope for Tyson's sake he hasn't surrounded himself with Yes Men and a poor training team. If someone half decent faces him they're going to want to go all out for the win, and a first loss, especially by KO or DQ could have a profound effect on Tyson's mental state as well as his career. Hope he's found a good team.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 am

None of the heavyweights out there are anything to rave out. Fury, at his best, for me is probably the the best boxer out of them and showed that by outpointing Klitschko in his home town (the only fighter to do so). He did that by rendering Wlads oft described all time great jab as ineffective and was never really in any trouble in the fight. Credit where it is due. On the other hand Wilder and Joshua have the raw power that Fury lacks that can turn a fight on its head. It makes for an interesting mix.

Insofar as hype goes, Fury can hardly ever be described as being overhyped. Especially in relation to the ridicuous hype machine behid Joshua. Or the likes of David Haye in years past. Fury was ridiculued as useless most of his career. And he has proved to be a far shrewder tactician and capable boxer than most ever gave him credit for. Joshua and Wilder garner far more hype on both sides of the pond due to the weight of the advertising machines behind them and the natural power they carry. Watching them labour in their recent fights against nothing largely ordinary or over the hill opponents hasnt really justified any claims they are better boxers than Fury. I would have backed a Fury at his best to outpoint either of them on their most recent displays against Ortiz and Joshua.

Whether Fury can come back and get back to his best remains to be seen. Hes had major physical and mental issues, a long abscence and a new team. I have my doubts but the heavyweight division could use all the quality it can get when geriatrics like Ortiz and mediocre heavyweights like Parker are indicating that the current champions are not anything special themselves.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:04 am

Fury is only interested in the money. I can't see him having a couple of warm up fights, he'll want to meet Joshua for the big money, but it looks like Joshua is going to fight Povetkin so in the meantime maybe Fury and Wilder could get it on and the winner then fight Joshua. Joshua may be the Champion but he has still a lot to learn and catching a big punch from someone like Wilder could change things in a moment.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Joshua didn't beat Wlad more convincingly ffs. Joshua was getting schooled, mesmerized by Wlad's jab. And I didn't see Tyson rolling around on the canvas against Wlad. Fury schooled Wlad the scorecards are irrelevant no way was Fury getting a shut out in Wlad's adopted home country

I didn’t see Wlad rolling around on the canvas 3 times against Fury either. Fury won a very boring close decision. Joshua won a close fight by KO. I know which I’d prefer to win by and it’s not the boring points decision.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Return of the Gypsy King! CidWtcj

schooled picard

he won by landing more than 4 punches a round. one of the truly dreadful heavyweight fights

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 am

Dreadful fight, but Wlad didn't know how to deal with him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Even the highlights are boring.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:16 am

Does that matter though

Is it really all that surprising with a dodgy chin, inferior punching power and greater height that fury boxed safe and made it messy?

Can't compare the 2 fights against wlad as AJ and Fury are polar opposites

Joshua was more aggressive and dominant, while also being more fragile and 1 dimensional

If they fought, Fury isn't going to go toe-to-toe with Joshua...thats just smart boxing
I see nothing wrong with playing to ones strengths

Rigondeux is about a boring a fighter as I have ever seen....but he probably outboxes LSC, Frampton and Quigg pretty easily

I wanna see Fury Joshua as both could win...simple as that
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 pm

I agree with your point about how Fury best Wlad. He did the right thing and got him the win. I was just pointing out I thought Joshua beat Wlad better than Fury did albeit polar opposite fighters. I think it’s still a valid question as it’s the only fighter they have both been in with.

As for Joshua v Fury then I just can’t make a case for Fury. Furu might frustrate him for a few rounds but his power is poor so even with Joshua’s chin he is going to get more confident and start to unload. Everyone said Wlads mistake was being too gun shy and I can’t see that being the case with Joshua.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:27 am

Like most things in life there are polar opposite views and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Fury is nobones idea of a great heavy but he’s nothing like as bad as some have liked to label him. He also improved significantly in the fights in the run up to wlad (barring Cunningham). He toyed with chisora and everyone said chisora was shot but here he is 4 years later still mixing it with contenders. Boxing is about making your strengths count and fury is a slippery customer for such a big man... he has the antidote for the modern lumbering heavy, but had his problems with a mobile cruiser.

Assuming he’s back to his ‘best’ it’s an intriguing match up against AJ, but ultimately I don’t like him in this one. Wlad didn’t want to take a risk, but AJ most likely will (his last couple of fights do question that) but I think he’ll realise it’s his way to win and that fury isn’t a banger... although his stoppage record isn’t bad

But fury’s a big lump and if he controls the range he could make life awkward for josh. He’s made it awkward for everybody else and has a habit of making his opponents look bad and lose heart.

Assuming he turns up below 25 stones

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down