The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return Of The King

+8
Welshmushroom
munkian
Luckless Pedestrian
VinceWLB
Cardiff Dave
LeinsterFan4life
HammerofThunor
ScarletSpiderman
12 posters

Go down

Return Of The King Empty Return Of The King

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:53 am

Finally some good news at Parc Y Scarlets, as the Scarlets officially announce they have signed an Ex-All Black centre to replace Jon Davies.  This new signing has been rumoured for a while, down in the west, but has finally been announced.  Welcome Home Regan King, your skills have been sourly missed. With Regan in the backline now, and some really talented young prospects tied down to the region for the next few seasons, I am no longer dreading news about players leaving Yahoo 

http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/news/6333.php wrote:One of the Scarlets' most prolific and talented centres will head back to West Wales next season moving from Heineken Cup finalists Clermont Auvergne.

The once-capped All Black was a highly prized member of the Scarlets squad for six years and played an important role in helping develop and push forward a number of the region's world-class backs including Welsh internationals Jon Davies and Rhys Priestland.
King joined French giants Clermont Auvergne on a three-year contract in 2011/12 and now returns to re-join the region he proudly calls his spiritual rugby home with a new two-year deal after first moving to Llanelli in May 2005.

King, 33, has hit some impressive form this season for his French club in both the Top 14 and the Heineken Cup and notably in Clermont's win over Harlequins in Europe at the end of last month.

Respected by the Scarlets faithful for his superb skill set, handling, timing and agility, King's return will be a huge boost to the West Wales region next season within a squad that has plenty of young, up-and-coming talent.

Scarlets Head Coach Simon Easterby said: "To have the quality and experience of a player like Regan King back in our squad next season will be a big positive for our region as a whole.

"Not only will we have secured a rugby player of real quality on the pitch who has played at the top end of European and French rugby for the past two years, but we've also gained the value of a professional who has such rounded experience which can be passed onto others.

"He's shown his inherent quality as a player in his recent performances in the Heineken Cup as well as the domestic French game and is a player any club in Europe would want in their ranks.

"What Regan can bring will hopefully inspire our young backs further and thedepth of experience and creativity he's known for will have a positive impact throughout the squad. You only have to recall what a big influence he had on early senior careers of Jon (Davies), Rhys (Priestland), Gareth (Maule) and many others in his time with us to recognise that value.

"We're delighted he's returning to Parc y Scarlets, it will be a warm welcome back home for him and his family and we know as a group of coaches and players that he will help add a different dimension and edge to Scarlets Rugby next season."

King who has born in Cambridge, New Zealand and has a British father achieved his All Blacks cap against Wales at the Millennium Stadium in November 2002. He also played for Paris based club Stade Francais before leaving to join the Scarlets in the 2005/6 season.

He has appeared 143 times in a Scarlets shirt with 180 points; his last game for the Scarlets was against Cardiff Blues at home in front of a packed 11,000 plus Parc y Scarlets crowd on May 6th 2011.

King has played 60 games for Clermont to date scoring seven tries.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Return Of The King Empty Re: Return Of The King

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:04 am

So the replacing of Welsh stars with over the hill foreigners continues (and lauded as great news) censored 

Hopefully he slots in like he never left. He was class when playing for you guys.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:18 am

HammerofThunor wrote:So the replacing of Welsh stars with over the hill foreigners continues (and lauded as great news) censored 
Amazing how quickly you can off someone boxing 

He has been in brilliant form in Clermont, from what I have seen, this season.

Also looking forward to the tricks and tips he can pass on to the next generation. The Scarlets have Gareth Maule and Adam Warren tied down for the next few seasons in the centre, and we have the likes of Jordan Williams and Aaron Warren (currently at Llandovery) who are natural runners of the ball. So with Regan's attacking flair, and ability to pass on those skills, and the pack we have built over the last few seasons, I am pretty confident that we should be looking like a pretty decent outfit for next season.

Another positive of this signing for me, is that Scott Williams and Rhys Priestland have not yet signed for other teams, and the announcement of Reggie coming in may make them consider staying, as his influence has pretty big on them when they were starting out.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:18 am

Great signing. Can't wait to see him play in the league.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:21 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:So the replacing of Welsh stars with over the hill foreigners continues (and lauded as great news) censored 
Amazing how quickly you can off someone boxing 

He has been in brilliant form in Clermont, from what I have seen, this season.

Also looking forward to the tricks and tips he can pass on to the next generation.  The Scarlets have Gareth Maule and Adam Warren tied down for the next few seasons in the centre, and we have the likes of Jordan Williams and Aaron Warren (currently at Llandovery) who are natural runners of the ball.  So with Regan's attacking flair, and ability to pass on those skills, and the pack we have built over the last few seasons, I am pretty confident that we should be looking like a pretty decent outfit for next season.

Another positive of this signing for me, is that Scott Williams and Rhys Priestland have not yet signed for other teams, and the announcement of Reggie coming in may make them consider staying, as his influence has pretty big on them when they were starting out.
King was definately one of those foreign signings that are worth it. Wasn't he part of your side when you were fighting for HEC semis?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:26 am

Thunor - yeah he was in the centre with Gavin Evans, and back then Gavin Evans looked like he would go on to establish himself as an international quality centre. The Gavin left for the money to the Blues and ended up being slated more often than praised. I think that is one of the real qualities that Regan brings, and why I am glad it looks like this is a final move for him, retire playing in his beloved jersey and then take up a roll in the back room Fingers Crossed 
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:33 am

Yes....and no.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:57 am

A quick look over French forums and they are extremely sad to see him go,there are injuries concerns about him though but at least a centre who can pass the ball unlike the centre who he is replacing thumbsup 

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:17 pm

Great signing. Such a talented footballer.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Yes....and no.
This....

http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/nwq-the-pa-etc_topic38571.html

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:26 pm

I'll be much happier IF they announce they have Scott Willimas on a new 3 year contract....
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:29 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Yes....and no.
This....

http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/nwq-the-pa-etc_topic38571.html
Dai, you can't take that seriously, one eye amongst the lot of them, you would never find a sensible poster on there Whistle 
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:31 pm

munkian wrote:I'll be much happier IF they announce they have Scott Willimas on a new 3 year contract....
To be honest I think/hope this will be an additional carrot to tease Scott with. He could sod off for more cash, and a chance to play in France, or he could stay here and play/learn alongside King.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:39 pm

Strange signing to me. When Scarlets ahead him first time around they probably ended up with the best centre in the UK at the time and was great. He was 26 then.

Fast forward and you have a guy who spends far to much time on the physiotherapy table than on the pitch. He gets injured easily and at his age its hard to be sure how much rugby they will get out of him. Potentially could be a worse signing than a welsh international if he ends up appearing less for them.

On a side note: I'm seriously concerned about some of the comments on that link Dave. Are people really thinking joining the Aviva is better? Some of the comments regarding NWQ are disturbing as well. The WRU fund the regions for 4 million per year at the moment (granted some of this is TV revenue) but that covers this self imposed 3.5 million wage cap. The WRU cover the costs of refs, insurance and other aspects as well. So essentially the money received should be the money that covers the entire wage cap. I appreciate that there are still running costs such as stadium maintenance, admin staff costs, coaches/managers, but surely attendances, corporate sponsorship, season tickets & merchandise should cover those basic costs. Am I missing something?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:46 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:
On a side note:  I'm seriously concerned about some of the comments on that link Dave.  Are people really thinking joining the Aviva is better?  Some of the comments regarding NWQ are disturbing as well.  The WRU fund the regions for 4 million per year at the moment (granted some of this is TV revenue) but that covers this self imposed 3.5 million wage cap.  The WRU cover the costs of refs, insurance and other aspects as well.  So essentially the money received should be the money that covers the entire wage cap.  I appreciate that there are still running costs such as stadium maintenance, admin staff costs, coaches/managers, but surely attendances, corporate sponsorship, season tickets & merchandise should cover those basic costs.  Am I missing something?

I find that unsettling and pretty disturbing, has a "grass is always greener on the other side" feeling written all over it.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:47 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:
On a side note:  I'm seriously concerned about some of the comments on that link Dave.  Are people really thinking joining the Aviva is better?  Some of the comments regarding NWQ are disturbing as well.  The WRU fund the regions for 4 million per year at the moment (granted some of this is TV revenue) but that covers this self imposed 3.5 million wage cap.  The WRU cover the costs of refs, insurance and other aspects as well.  So essentially the money received should be the money that covers the entire wage cap.  I appreciate that there are still running costs such as stadium maintenance, admin staff costs, coaches/managers, but surely attendances, corporate sponsorship, season tickets & merchandise should cover those basic costs.  Am I missing something?

I find that unsettling and pretty disturbing, has a "grass is always greener on the other side" feeling written all over it.
Like the opposite of that old Welsh Bitter advert.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm

Mushroom, I think it is more what Regan brings off the pitch that has people excited. During is original stint at PYS we saw numerous young centres coming through and looking promising. During Regan's original stint Gavin Evans looked very good, and then Foxy emerged, and then Reynolds and Maule got game time and looked good too. Granted Evans and Reynolds both seemed to drop in form since then. But now we have young centres like Warren Snr, Shnigler Jnr, and Reynolds who can learn from Regan, and we also have young backs with attacking flair like Jordan, Warren Jnr, Kris Phillips etc that will also be keen on picking up any tips that an old timer like Reggie has.

Also with that link Dai posted, you have to remember that it is a regional fans site, and one for one specific region, so the opinions you get on there do tend to be skewed towards what is best for themselves personally as opposed to the greater good. However can we try to keep this thread clear of all the WRU/RRW civil war cack as I am in a good mood today and that stuff just drags me down.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:04 pm

There are few forums that seem to suggest 'most Welsh fans' see a move to the English premiership as a good thing (or even the best thing) for Welsh rugby.

Probably not really thought about the realities involved in such a move.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:05 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Mushroom, I think it is more what Regan brings off the pitch that has people excited.  During is original stint at PYS we saw numerous young centres coming through and looking promising.  During Regan's original stint Gavin Evans looked very good, and then Foxy emerged, and then Reynolds and Maule got game time and looked good too.  Granted Evans and Reynolds both seemed to drop in form since then.  But now we have young centres like Warren Snr, Shnigler Jnr, and Reynolds who can learn from Regan, and we also have young backs with attacking flair like Jordan, Warren Jnr, Kris Phillips etc that will also be keen on picking up any tips that an old timer like Reggie has.

Also with that link Dai posted, you have to remember that it is a regional fans site, and one for one specific region, so the opinions you get on there do tend to be skewed towards what is best for themselves personally as opposed to the greater good.  However can we try to keep this thread clear of all the WRU/RRW civil war cack as I am in a good mood today and that stuff just drags me down.
Spoilsport.
Great post from KID A just now. Sort of sums up the WRU's cozy relationship with the Fail.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:14 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Mushroom, I think it is more what Regan brings off the pitch that has people excited.  During is original stint at PYS we saw numerous young centres coming through and looking promising.  During Regan's original stint Gavin Evans looked very good, and then Foxy emerged, and then Reynolds and Maule got game time and looked good too.  Granted Evans and Reynolds both seemed to drop in form since then.  But now we have young centres like Warren Snr, Shnigler Jnr, and Reynolds who can learn from Regan, and we also have young backs with attacking flair like Jordan, Warren Jnr, Kris Phillips etc that will also be keen on picking up any tips that an old timer like Reggie has.
Look playing with better players will develop youngsters. The problem is King might not be anywhere near a training paddock for months at a time. I'm not sure what benefit (other than a conversational partner for your physio down there) he will bring. Also most of Regans skill sets are natural skills that cant be taught.

Some of those guys you mentioned wont develop much more as players and to be perfectly honest are limited in a lot of areas. There are some genuine cases of talent down there but also a lot of guys who probably wont progress any further. Bottom line is Regan is a totally different style centre compared to the ones down at PYS.

Also isn't Maule heading to London Irish as the rumour goes?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:34 pm

I haven't heard anything about Maule leaving. Last season, when he was out of contract, he was being linked with a move to LI or Munster, but then he signed a two year extension. So I would say that a move is unlikely, but I wouldn't rule that out, as we have let players leave over the last few seasons even though they were in contract (Morgan and North were sold, Tavis went on a free transfer).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:37 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Great post from KID A just now. Sort of sums up the WRU's cozy relationship with the Fail.
I've just looked, that is a good post.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:54 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Also with that link Dai posted, you have to remember that it is a regional fans site, and one for one specific region, so the opinions you get on there do tend to be skewed towards what is best for themselves personally as opposed to the greater good.  However can we try to keep this thread clear of all the WRU/RRW civil war cack as I am in a good mood today and that stuff just drags me down.
Spoilsport.
Great post from KID A just now. Sort of sums up the WRU's cozy relationship with the Fail.
https://www.606v2.com/t50229-should-the-regions-tell-the-wru-to-shove-the-pa-join-the-jeff

Seeing as this is going to end up being a pretty talked about topic I though I would be nice and get a thread going for you lot to have your say, or just laugh at what others have said, either way.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 04 Dec 2013, 2:36 pm

Think King is miles better signing though than some of the other ones we are subjected to at the Regions. I think Burton has to be the most pointless signing of all time (right up there with Sam Norton-Knight).

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 04 Dec 2013, 3:47 pm

Just seen these clips of Reggie in action for Clermont this season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYT7EZfa1iU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNi8vqQ_IU

And now I am really excited again!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 4:23 pm

Really reall really really reallyy happy, what a replacment.

Now let's just sign a number 8 pleeeeeeeeeeease and resign Priestland and Scott then I will be happy with out recruitment for this season.
No like last season, i can't cope with more rumors up until June.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 Dec 2013, 5:13 pm

Good move by the Scarlets. A great club man as mentioned above. Brings the best out of players around him.

Might become an outstanding backs coach for the Scarlets one day.

Great news

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:37 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Good move by the Scarlets. A great club man as mentioned above. Brings the best out of players around him.

Great news
Come on Maes, I don't think for one minute that King's decision to return was influenced by the long established tradition in Llanelli of recruiting ex-players onto the coaching staff!

Medium term financial security might have been the furthest thing from his mind.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 Dec 2013, 7:41 pm

Casartelli wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Good move by the Scarlets. A great club man as mentioned above. Brings the best out of players around him.

Great news
Come on Maes, I don't think for one minute that King's decision to return was influenced by the long established tradition in Llanelli of recruiting ex-players onto the coaching staff!

Medium term financial security might have been the furthest thing from his mind.

Why do you say that. I think he could be a great coach.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:37 pm

Signing an actual playmaker!? What are the regions coming to?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 05 Dec 2013, 8:16 am

Cas - from what I have heard the decision was more influenced by his wife and her business concerns in the area than by Regan's post playing career plans.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down