The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rugby Championship

+36
Biltong
asoreleftshoulder
Yoda
BamBam
FerN
Geen sport voor watjes
Exiledinborders
kingraf
Not grey and not a ghost
Pie
kingelderfield
Sgt_Pooly
Maine man
Galted
Brendan
Cyril
LordDowlais
marty2086
No 7&1/2
Pot Hale
Rugby Fan
mikey_dragon
RDW
The Great Aukster
rodders
profitius
Taylorman
Duty281
alanmackie6
Gooseberry
SecretFly
Tramptastic
aucklandlaurie
yappysnap
LondonTiger
hugehandoff
40 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Rugby Championship - Page 8 Empty The Rugby Championship

Post by hugehandoff Fri 17 Aug 2018, 9:37 am

First topic message reminder :

It starts again tomorrow. As ever the interest will wane quickly if the ABs resume their usual dismantling of all opposition. They look extremely strong with Retallick and Whitelock back in harness. Their strength in depth at 10 is frightening. The Aussies do have Pocock back, but hard to look beyond another comfortable AB win.

Argentina away in SA will be interesting I think. SA look like they are improving and Argentina play some good rugby - one to watch I think.

Hoping that somebody pushes the ABs and an Aussie win tomorrow would be the perfect tonic for the tournament, however unlikely that is.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

The Rugby Championship - Page 8 Empty Re: The Rugby Championship

Post by Guest Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:33 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Exiledinborders wrote:
Taylorman wrote:We now have the best passer of the ball in test rugby ...bar none. No one has passed better than Smith. EverAnd i challenge you to name one better passer. Cos he doesnt exist.
Good God man. Get a grip!

Smith is a very good player. All time great? Give me a break!

Well youll have to define greatness as Ive not seen a better record. Joist was a great apparently. Did more than Smith? In what way?

For me Joost was light years ahead of Smith. Tougher, stronger, faster, better in attack and a real winner. Smith has a lovely pass and runs well. Wont be remembered as a great.
Joost was a champion player. Big, strong, defensive and a real battler. A bit like Murray I guess. But he wasn’t faster and better in attack than Smith. But I guess it depends on your definition of what ‘attack’ is. Being from the NH, you probably think a great attacking halfback is one that snipes, box kicks and spends too much time at the breakdown wondering what he should do.

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:36 am

NONE just pointing out the obvious,2 RWCs were lost in extra time NZ missed,SA didn`t,Aus missed
England did`nt .NOTHING is a given B.Barrett had a poor night,BUT how many times this season
has his percentage been 90 or even 100 percent.quite a lot.
Don Clarke undoubtable the goal kick i`ve ever seen using old style leather balls .scrape in
mid winter had them too

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:37 am

NONE just pointing out the obvious,2 RWCs were lost in extra time NZ missed,SA didn`t,Aus missed
England did`nt .NOTHING is a given B.Barrett had a poor night,BUT how many times this season
has his percentage been 90 or even 100 percent.quite a lot.
Don Clarke undoubtable the goal kick i`ve ever seen using old style leather balls .scrape in
mid winter had them too

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 21 Sep 2018, 1:21 pm

I know New Zealand are by a distance the best team at the moment but I don't think they will win the RWC. Winning three in a row is a big ask and there are a lot of variables and challenges that come into play that are very hard to prepare for.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Sep 2018, 3:01 pm

Dunno mate, reckon we might do the 3peat. After all “we are the most dominant team in the history of the world” apparently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 21 Sep 2018, 3:08 pm

NZ players will all have to wear long sleeve jerseys as tattoos aren't allowed in Japan unless you are in the Yakusa. Given that it will still be warm in Japan at that time they will over heat and choke.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Sep 2018, 3:15 pm

ebop wrote:Dunno mate, reckon we might do the 3peat. After all “we are the most dominant team in the history of the world” apparently.

And you don't believe it to be true, ebop?

Don't tell me you're falling for the William's Camp propaganda, who seem to be claiming she's the best everything the world has ever seen. Best tennis player evah! Best boxer evah! Best John McEnroe impersonator evah! Best religious Leader evah. Best fashion icon evah. Best superwoman evah! Best team evah!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Sep 2018, 3:17 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:NZ players will all have to wear long sleeve jerseys as tattoos aren't allowed in Japan unless you are in the Yakusa. Given that it will still be warm in Japan at that time they will over heat and choke.

laughing

Oh how the rest of us do the rain dance hoping for the proverbial food poisoning episode to repeat itself and give the rest of us even a slim chance.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 21 Sep 2018, 5:58 pm

ebop wrote:Being from the NH, you probably think a great attacking halfback is one that snipes, box kicks and spends too much time at the breakdown wondering what he should do.
Very Happy

If there's one thing guaranteed to unite rugby supporters everywhere, it's a dislike of a scrum half who spends too much time staring at the ball at the breakdown, waving people into place.

I don't think anyone would argue there was a difference in quality between the north and south when players like Dickie Jeeps, Gareth Edwards and Robert Jones did so well on tour in the Southern Hemisphere.

As far as passing alone is concerned, well, seriously, Peter Stringer was a slick operator for years. Argue about his other qualities in the position by all means, but he had a sweet, sweet pass. Look at him in this BT Sport game, when he's in civvies, towards the end of his career.

Austin Healey was a scrum half too but you can see his technique collapse, when he quickly realises he hasn't got a hope of matching Stringer.

I don't think England have had a world class scrum half for years. Not in the George Gregan, Joost van der Westhuizen class, anyway. Kyran Bracken could have been good but Jamie Joseph stamped on his ankle in his debut, and he was never right for the rest of his career (At least he could carry on playing after an act of thuggery, though, unlike poor old Ken Catchpole).

Matt Dawson helped win a Lions series and a World Cup, and yet you always feel he was just the right kind of scrum half for the team at the time, rather than a star in his own right. A bit like Dewi Morris for Carling's side.

We'll never know what Nick Duncombe might have achieved. England supporters are often guilty of boosting young players but, man, he looked good before he passed away so young.

Ben Youngs appeared on the scene in 2010, and I genuinely thought we'd found the man to fill the scrum half position for years. Somehow, he didn't kick on as expected. If he played against other teams they way he usually plays against Australia (beaten them 10 times), then he'd be an all-time great.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Sep 2018, 6:20 pm

I hate that when someone doesn't keep to the rules of a simple game when they know they're losing. Just play the damn simple game and at least let the winner know his competitor tried to the end. "I'm not really trying anymore.... just having a lark. Maybe I could have won had I seriously tried"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Fri 21 Sep 2018, 8:28 pm

Gareth Edwards learned a lot from Chris laidlaw,the great Welsh side?try NZ 1969,they got mullered.
Dicky Jeeps was a 9th forward,Johmmy Williams a runner.Ben Youngs?good box kick,and dummy but
takes half an hour to pass.
Theres always a side that pulls. a surprise,in 2015 it was the first time a side won 3 matches and
failed to progress.Both Ireland and Scotland should progress,Nz and SA,Emglands group could
be tricky.Australia`s who knows?
Expect a S/F exit for NZ BUT IF they make the final without injury problems they will take some beating.

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Sep 2018, 12:55 am

SecretFly wrote:
ebop wrote:Dunno mate, reckon we might do the 3peat. After all “we are the most dominant team in the history of the world” apparently.

And you don't believe it to be true, ebop?

Don't tell me you're falling for the William's Camp propaganda, who seem to be claiming she's the best everything the world has ever seen.

Was just tongue n cheek repeating what I read in a newspaper after a snoop spotted it on a whiteboard somewhere. The ABs are probably the most dominant [rugby] team in the history of the world though. I know  Rolling Eyes

As for Serena, she’s a great tennis player but extremely unlikeable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 22 Sep 2018, 8:47 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Exiledinborders wrote:
Taylorman wrote:We now have the best passer of the ball in test rugby ...bar none. No one has passed better than Smith. EverAnd i challenge you to name one better passer. Cos he doesnt exist.
Good God man. Get a grip!

Smith is a very good player. All time great? Give me a break!

Well youll have to define greatness as Ive not seen a better record. Joist was a great apparently. Did more than Smith? In what way?

For me Joost was light years ahead of Smith. Tougher, stronger, faster, better in attack and a real winner. Smith has a lovely pass and runs well. Wont be remembered as a great.

He will in NZ, and thats all that matters. You might have Murray up there but Ireland fans are overating everything that walks it seems with this latest version, not being used to mixing it with the higher rated sides.

Smith is clearly the reason for our backs being able to get away so cleanly where Murray reflects a very average pass to a very average backline, something that will prevent them adding another dimension to their game. But you wont see that. You havent been around a side tgat pushes the boundaries at the top end of the modern game enough.

Smiths now ahead of our better 9’s in Going, Laidlaw and for me Graham Bachop, Dave, Loveridge. Hes the only AB 9 of real class in the pro era so historically our 9’s have been poor, Marshall and Kelleher well behind true international class. Smiths been a revelation and we’re fine with that. Its reflected in our backlines. As is Murrays in Irelands.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 23 Sep 2018, 12:27 am

Straw man argument. Smith has certain strengths and weaknesses as does Murray. But enough of their respective off field activities they are both very good and influential for their teams

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 23 Sep 2018, 1:25 am

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:Straw man argument. Smith has certain strengths and weaknesses as does Murray. But enough of their respective off field activities they are both very good and influential for their teams

So a levelled generalisation that describes most test players as good in ‘some way’ makes a better point. Perhaps, but thatd be a boring world to live in.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Sun 23 Sep 2018, 10:42 am

Strange comment Kelleher last year was rated best 9 in europe,true hardly played for AB`s,Marshall had
a weakness passing.Weepu was a back up 9/10 but palpably unfit Ellis was a good all rounder who
dropped goals too.The Crusaders back up to Ellis was the one that got away,Cowans was a great defender
poor otherwise.Ellis was 2 after Smith before he left Nz.

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 23 Sep 2018, 4:15 pm

alanmackie6 wrote:Strange comment Kelleher last year was rated best 9 in europe,true hardly played for AB`s,Marshall had
a weakness passing.Weepu was a back up 9/10 but palpably unfit Ellis was a good all rounder who
dropped goals too.The Crusaders back up to Ellis was the one that got away,Cowans was a great defender
poor otherwise.Ellis was 2 after Smith before he left Nz.

None of those fits into the greats category. Smith does. Kelkeher was often brash and too rushed for the ABs, Marshalls strength was his running around the scrim, more in the Murray TJP mould. The rest were average. None had a pass or link game anywhere near Smith.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Sun 23 Sep 2018, 6:52 pm

Try Kahn Folau either fiji/tonga 10 back up to Ellis at Crusaders ;much like Smith.

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Sun 23 Sep 2018, 6:53 pm

Try Kahn Folau either fiji/tonga 10 back up to Ellis at Crusaders ;much like Smith.

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 29 Sep 2018, 5:54 pm

Aus v SA. That must be the worst game of rugby Ive seen in a while. Terrible ad for the rugby championship. Both teams deserved to lose.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 29 Sep 2018, 10:52 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Aus v SA. That must be the worst game of rugby Ive seen in a while. Terrible ad for the rugby championship. Both teams deserved to lose.

You obviously dont watch NH rugby Whistle

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 29 Sep 2018, 11:38 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Aus v SA. That must be the worst game of rugby Ive seen in a while. Terrible ad for the rugby championship. Both teams deserved to lose.

You obviously dont. Six nations was played at a higher level than that garbage today. 21 handling errors. Feel sorry for Australia fans that was a horrific performance.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 29 Sep 2018, 11:38 pm

Vamos vamos Argentina, vamos a ganar.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:25 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

You obviously dont. Six nations was played at a higher level than that garbage today. 21 handling errors. Feel sorry for Australia fans that was a horrific performance.

Yes you tell yourself that if it works. Some of those matches were rubbish. And this years RC has been far superior in wuality and intensity. Idbe concerned for all NH sides next year when they get their northern millionaire playboys back.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:36 am

It’s always interesting to see the ABs when they take their opposition seriously. They are certainly taking the pumas seriously. The slightly illegal on the edge type play with plenty of illegality is always a good indication

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 12:59 am

Taylorman wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Yes you tell yourself that if it works. Some of those matches were rubbish. And this years RC has been far superior in wuality and intensity. Idbe concerned for all NH sides next year when they get their northern millionaire playboys back.

Haha sure it has. This game is another error fest. Horror show. What are these players that you keep talking about that will be coming back?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:05 am

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:It’s always interesting to see the ABs when they take their opposition seriously.  They are certainly taking the pumas seriously. The slightly illegal on the edge type play with plenty of illegality is always a good indication
You mean likethe kick to the perenara ball and pushing taylor into the breakdown? Were there others?
Both sides are guilty off it. You just have to open the other eye for a change.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:14 am

Ha ha. The ref gave Argentina a try cos he was sick of the ABs giving away penalties. Never seen a team winning by that much give away so many pks. It’s like that World Cup final except it’s not big lips Joubert ignoring everything

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:23 am

The nz commentators are class as usual

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:28 am

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:Ha ha. The ref gave Argentina a try cos he was sick of the ABs giving away penalties. Never seen a team winning by that much give away so many pks. It’s like that World Cup final except it’s not big lips Joubert ignoring everything

Agree with that. Not a try but made up for NZ lying on the ball in defense countless times.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:36 am

Hope we have a decent ref in November. Time for win no.2

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:40 am

Two poor enough games today.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:42 am

The ABs scored some tries today that a boring team like Ireland could only dream of executing. Scrappy game not helped by an incompetent NH referee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:51 am

ebop wrote:The ABs scored some tries today that a boring team like Ireland could only dream of executing. Scrappy game not helped by an incompetent NH referee.
you’re right he didn’t penalise a certain team in black enough. The sooner refs get a bit more cojones the more level a playing field for everyone.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:54 am

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:
ebop wrote:The ABs scored some tries today that a boring team like Ireland could only dream of executing. Scrappy game not helped by an incompetent NH referee.
you’re right he didn’t penalise a certain team in black enough. The sooner refs get a bit more cojones the more level a playing field for everyone.
Not only did that incompetent NH referee penalise the ABs a lot today he missed plenty of Puma indiscretions and actually awarded them a try that wasn’t. Are you one of these pathetic people that thinks their team can win only when the referee is biased against the ABs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 9:26 am

One or two good tries from the ABs alright but poor match overall. Rugby championship took a big backwards step this week.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:17 am

Collapse2005 wrote:

One or two good tries from the ABs alright but poor match overall. Rugby championship took a big backwards step this week.

18 point win. Yea pretty sad. Something irelands managed once ever. Its all relative pal. Irish would be dancing in the streets with a winthat size. ABs? Things to work on as usual.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:18 am

I love this Aussie v Kiwi stuff Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:18 am

ebop wrote:
Not only did that incompetent NH referee penalise the ABs a lot today he missed plenty of Puma indiscretions and actually awarded them a try that wasn’t. Are you one of these pathetic people that thinks their team can win only when the referee is biased against the ABs?

The ref wasnt great alright, the ABs were particularly cynical in defense though. Sanchez didnt have his best game in my view nor did Argentina in general.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:20 am

ebop wrote:

Geez doesnt it make ya just wana thrash these turkeys ebop?

Yea, i think we’d better. Stop the blah blah ... again.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:23 am

Taylorman wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

18 point win. Yea pretty sad. Something irelands managed once ever. Its all relative pal. Irish would be dancing in the streets with a winthat size. ABs? Things to work on as usual.

It could have been a 100 point win it was still a crap game. Ireland whitewashed Argentina 2-0 on their last tour there in 2014 with a B team. So did England. No one really batted an eyelid. Are you obsessed with Ireland or something? Little relevance to this game and how sh1t it was.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:25 am

Taylorman wrote:
ebop wrote:

Just like you trashed the team ranked 7th in the world? Haha. Ireland beat SA by 36 points in their last game.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:43 am

Taylorman wrote:
ebop wrote:

Yes indeed Tman. Can’t wait for November, hopefully we see some graciousness this time and no whinging. Get the feeling some Ireland fans don’t know how to cope with their lofty position and are overcooking it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:46 am

The biggest whinger last time was Steve Hansen. The Irish media are such meanies they criticised me and my team boo hoo. Oh wait they were 100% right. Lol.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:47 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
ebop wrote:

Just like you trashed the team ranked 7th in the world? Haha. Ireland beat SA by 36 points in their last game.
Losing to Australia without a few key players proved how fragile your outfit is. That should be a massive concern for you. Some of Ireland’s back up players are no name liabilities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:49 am

Collapse2005 wrote:The biggest whinger last time was Steve Hansen. The Irish media are such meanies they’re y criticised me and my team boo hoo. Oh wait they were 100% right. Lol.
Lol

This literally was Ireland => Cry

It was unprecedented

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:50 am

You lost to SA without a couple of key players. You also lost to Australia last year missing key players. Hypocrite?

There are no no name players in Irelands squad you just dont know them because you are ignorant of Irish rugby. Big difference.

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:52 am

ebop wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:The biggest whinger last time was Steve Hansen. The Irish media are such meanies they’re y criticised me and my team boo hoo. Oh wait they were 100% right. Lol.
Lol

This literally was Ireland => Cry

It was unprecedented

So it was a coincidence that Naholo got cited and banned the following week and that this is the first NZ team to get a red card in 50 years or could it be that Kiwis are a bit thin skinned and cant handle fair criticism?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:00 am

Collapse2005 wrote:You lost to SA without a couple of key players. You also lost to Australia last year missing key players. Hypocrite?

There are no no name players in Irelands squad you just dont know them because you are ignorant of Irish rugby. Big difference.
No, they literally are no name players. We don’t know them because they are average and are not memorable players to remember who they are when they play on the international stage. They’re the kind of players that lose to Australia and then get the Shepherds hook because they lost to Australia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:14 am

No they are all established professionals you are just ignorant pal. I doubt you could name all NZ players from the last 18 months. There have been 7 one cap wonders for NZ since 2017.

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next