The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France v Scotland World Cup Warm Up Match - Saturday 17th August

+21
bsando
alive555
reallybored
funnyExiledScot
Shifty
TheMildlyFranticLlama
majesticimperialman
sensisball
Hazel Sapling
Tramptastic
propdavid_london
WELL-PAST-IT
EWT Spoons
EST
LondonTiger
tigertattie
jimbopip
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

France v Scotland World Cup Warm Up Match - Saturday 17th August Empty France v Scotland World Cup Warm Up Match - Saturday 17th August

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Aug 2019, 8:01 pm

France v Scotland
World Cup Warm Up
Nice
KO 20.00

Live on Premier Sport

Well the first warm up for both teams and you would imagine there might be a fair bit of experimentation on both sides as they try to hone in their squads.

So who might be playing will be complete guesswork and ergo I am going to have a guess at the Scotland team! This might be the only chance for some of the less fancied players in the squad to have a crack though and I fancy he will put them in this week and then a stronger line up next weekend for the home return match:

1. Dell
2. McInally
3. Fagerson
4. Cummings
5. Toolis
6. Barclay (capt)
7. Ritchie
8. Thompson
9. Laidlaw
10. Hastings
11. McGuigan
12. Taylor
13. Harris
14. Rae
15. Kinghorn

Subs:

Reid
Turner
Berghan
Skinner
Strauss
Horne G
Horne P
Hutchinson

Expect a few changes of position within the game as well, especially within the backs!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

France v Scotland World Cup Warm Up Match - Saturday 17th August Empty Re: France v Scotland World Cup Warm Up Match - Saturday 17th August

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Aug 2019, 8:04 pm

Hutchinson to get a run off the bench in this game, then if he does ok, to get a start against Georgia in the third game

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

France v Scotland World Cup Warm Up Match - Saturday 17th August Empty Re: France v Scotland World Cup Warm Up Match - Saturday 17th August

Post by RDW Sat 10 Aug 2019, 7:46 am

A tighthead on the wing??

Toonie has previously said those involved in games to the end of the season won't likely play in the first or maybe even 2nd game.

I expect an Edinburgh heavy contingent plus those that haven't played much recently - Thomson, Taylor etc.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 10 Aug 2019, 8:48 am

1. Dell
2. McInally
3. Nel
4. Gilchrist
5. Toolis
6. Barclay
7. Watson
8. Thomson

9. Price
10. Hastings

11. Graham
12. Taylor
13. Hutchinson
14. Barry
15. Kinghorn

Reckon we could see that with Horne jr and sr on the bench. Or Horne sr at IC and Taylor at OC with Hutch to bench. It could be maggie to start and blade to bench but I think Toonie will want to look at Blade in the back row.

Barcs to wear captains armband.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 10 Aug 2019, 8:52 am

I think we'll see Ritchie at 7 - he hasn't played since March and Watson is one of the few nailed on starters so there's no need to rush him in.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 10 Aug 2019, 9:14 am

Yeah i did debate over ritchie/watson. I think watson will start one of the france fixtures to see how the lineout works and forward moves etc.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 10 Aug 2019, 9:45 am

I agree with Flounder that there will be quite a few Luvvies in the starting XV. That is one of the big advantages of bodyswerving the Pro14 Playoffs, you get a lot of rest at the end of the season. Whistle

However, a complete shambles and the wrong end of a heavy defeat (is there a right end?) could be really damaging for our collective psyche.

1. Dell Berghan
2. McInally Turner
3. Nel Ragnar
4. Gilchrist Cummings
5. Toolis
6. Barclay
7. Mbawsa
8. Thomson Fagerson

9. Wee George we really need to see how he will perform against a decent side. Frodo to bench.
10. Hastings

11. Graham
12. Furra to start and then Taylor, probably see Furra going to 10, this allows an extra back three on the bench, although maybe Harris with Taylor or Hutch moving to back three.
13. Pony to start then Hutchinson
14. Barry
15. Kinghorn

At the moment I can only see one of; Barry, Blarehorn or Rae making the plane (and his name makes Elizabeth Bennet feel all unnecessary) so Saturday could really be the last chance saloon for two of them.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Aug 2019, 10:06 am

Oops, as RDW correctly pointed out rven Toonie unlikely to pick a TH on the wing

I was mixing up my D'arcies its easily done!

D'Arcy Graham to stsrt kn the wing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 12 Aug 2019, 8:59 am

Game week! Yahoo

Seeing some of the injuries over the weekend made me really nervous about who we might lose in the warmups.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 12 Aug 2019, 9:37 am

BigGee wrote:Oops, as RDW correctly pointed out  rven Toonie unlikely to pick a TH on the wing

I was mixing up my D'arcies  its easily done!

Darcy Graham isnt even called D'Arcy!

It's not my name so I'd not care, but Darcy probably would!

Darcy is a name from Gaelic meaning "Dark"

D'Arcy is from the French place name "Arcy" with the "D" added to mean "of" just like "D'Artagnan" of the three musketeers being the young chap of Artagnan

Last edited by tigertattie on Mon 12 Aug 2019, 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Aug 2019, 9:43 am

What other fixtures do Scotland have?

How are McGuigan and Harris still in contention?

Is Duncan Taylor finally fit?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 12 Aug 2019, 9:51 am

LondonTiger wrote:What other fixtures do Scotland have?

How are McGuigan and Harris still in contention?

Is Duncan Taylor finally fit?

McGuigan hasnt been too bad for Scotland and was playing well for his club for quite a long spell.

Harris though has us all scratching our heads! He is what we lovingly reffer to as "mince"

Taylor is fit in terms of he is not injured. If he is match fit is another story. If he is fully firing and ready for international rugby is another yet again!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 12 Aug 2019, 11:18 am

Dell
Turner (is he fit?)
Nel
Gilchrist
Toolis
Barclay
Ritchie
Thomson

George Horne
Hastings
McGuigan
Taylor
Jones
Darcy
Kinghorn

Reid
Stewart
Fagerson
Cummings
Bradbury
Price
Horne
Hutchison

Thats my best stab, but who knows - Toonie in a warm up game could pick anybod

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Aug 2019, 11:37 am

The match will be the first of four Test matches for the national team in the coming weeks – Scotland host France in the return fixture next Saturday at BT Murrayfield, before away and home Tests against Georgia – all of which are designed to refine the selection decisions of Head Coach Gregor Townsend, who will name his final squad for Rugby World Cup 2019 next month.

Townsend said: “A huge amount of work has gone in throughout the past two months in order to deliver our best level of performance in the Rugby World Cup.

“These four Tests are a vital part of that process in terms of testing our systems and combinations but also in seeing which players put their best foot forward when it comes to selection for the final 31-man group going to Japan next month.”

Edinburgh hooker Stuart McInally returns as captain having led the side to the dramatic retention of the Calcutta Cup in the Guinness Six Nations finale earlier this year and takes to the field in a near all-Edinburgh pack.

He partners tighthead prop Simon Berghan and the club’s new signing Jamie Bhatti in the front-row, with Grant Gilchrist and Ben Toolis returning to start in the second-row as they did at Twickenham.

John Barclay (vice-captain) and Jamie Ritchie complete the capital club’s contribution in the back-row with Blue Bulls number 8 Josh Strauss starting at the tail of the pack.

Glasgow Warriors stand-off Adam Hastings is handed his first start since the 2018 Autumn Test victory over Argentina, alongside clubmate and scrum-half Ali Price, while a new-look centre partnership of Duncan Taylor (Saracens) and Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) mans the midfield for the first time.

Full-back and vice-captain Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs) anchors the back-three with fellow Hawick man Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) and Sale Sharks Byron McGuigan on the wing to complete the starting side.

There are notable inclusions in the match day squad for Glasgow Warriors lock Scott Cummings and Northampton Saints midfielder Rory Hutchinson, who will make their Test debut if called upon from the bench in Nice this Saturday.

Townsend added: “As a coaching group we’re pleased to be able to take a strong squad across to France for this opening Test.

“We’ve enjoyed seeing the players working hard and becoming closer as a team in our camp.

“We’ve been impressed by the quality of play they’ve delivered in training but fundamentally it’s been about preparing to play.

"We’re now very much looking forward to seeing our men perform in these Test matches.”

Tickets

Tickets are still available for Scotland v France (Saturday 24 August, kick-off 1.10pm) in Bronze and Silver areas, starting at £20 (adults) and £10 (U18s) and a “Kids for £1” offer for U12s (per paying adult, for a limited time). Seats are more limited in the Gold and Platinum areas.

There is availability in all sections for Scotland v Georgia (Friday 6 September, kick-off 7.30pm) starting at £15 (adults) £5 (U18s) and the a “Kids for £1” offer for U12s (per paying adult, in Bronze and Silver categories only for a limited time).

Scotland team to play France at the Allianz Riviera, Summer Test
Saturday 17 August (kick-off 8pm BST, 9pm local time) – live on Premier Sports

15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) - 67 caps

14. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) - 4 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) - 21 caps
12. Duncan Taylor (Saracens) - 21 caps
11. Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks) - 8 caps

10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) - 11 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) - 24 caps

1. Jamie Bhatti (Edinburgh) - 13 caps
2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) - 27 caps
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) - 19 caps
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) - 18 caps
5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) - 33 caps
6. John Barclay VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) - 71 caps
7. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) - 10 caps
8. Josh Strauss (Blue Bulls) - 22 caps

Substitutes
16. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) - 5 caps
17. Gordon Reid (Ayrshire Bulls) - 34 caps
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) - 19 caps
19. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – uncapped
20. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) - 3 caps
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) - 4 caps
22. Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints) - uncapped
23. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) - 11 caps

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 14 Aug 2019, 11:39 am

Not a huge fan of Strauss or McGuigan being there, but a decent looking team overall. If you chucked Finn in at 10 and Seymour instead of McG, that would be a hell of a backline

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Aug 2019, 11:42 am

Looks like he has gone for a much more even split of players than I thought he might, looks like most of the others will get their chance next weekend.

Hutchy and Cummings to make their debuts off the bench and a long awaited look at the Taylor-Jones combo in the centre

Most of the Edinburgh pack in there which should hopefully give a good bit of stability up front.

A good bit of pace off the bench with Hornito, Fagerson, Hutchy and Blairhorn all capable of doing some damage.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Aug 2019, 11:43 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Not a huge fan of Strauss or McGuigan being there, but a decent looking team overall.  If you chucked Finn in at 10 and Seymour instead of McG, that would be a hell of a backline

I guess if they are going to be in the squad, he has got to give them a chance and you never know how things may play out with injuries etc.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 14 Aug 2019, 11:50 am

It's a good looking squad, my only complaint is that i'd have liked to have seen the Blade over Strauss, but I imagine he will get his chance next week.

Interesting that McInally is the captain over Barcs, maybe suggests that Barclay isn't a definite starter?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 14 Aug 2019, 11:54 am

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Not a huge fan of Strauss or McGuigan being there, but a decent looking team overall.  If you chucked Finn in at 10 and Seymour instead of McG, that would be a hell of a backline

I guess if they are going to be in the squad, he has got to give them a chance and you never know how things may play out with injuries etc.

I totally get that, i just think they are the weakest in their respective positions. I wouldn't be surprised if they leave the squad after this game, and this is their gametime that Toonie has said everyone will get.

That said if they have an absolute blinder and really stand out in the warmup games they play, then fair enough they'll likely deserve their seat on the plane.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 14 Aug 2019, 12:07 pm

BigGee wrote:Oops, as RDW correctly pointed out  rven Toonie unlikely to pick a TH on the wing

I was mixing up my D'arcies  its easily done!

It's a good job Miss Bennett did not do the same, what a scandal that would have been
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 14 Aug 2019, 12:24 pm

Scotland team to play France:

S Hogg, D Graham, H Jones, D Taylor, B McGuigan; A Hastings, A Price; J Bhatti, S McInally, S Berghan, B Toolis, G Gilchrist, J Barclay, J Ritchie, J Strauss.

Replacements: G Turner, G Reid, Z Fagerson, S Cummings, M Fagerson, G Horne, R Hutchinson, B Kinghorn.

WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 14 Aug 2019, 12:26 pm

Keep Hutchinson in one piece please. We are going to need him next year.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2019, 12:33 pm

If ever there was a game for Strauss to stand out it was this one - big physical confrontation where France will be looking to slow the game down. His issue has always been keeping up the pace.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 14 Aug 2019, 12:55 pm

Shrek is on the bench on Saturday.

1. Bhatti
2. Rambo
3. Bergan
4. GG
5. Toolis
6. Barcs
7. Mbawsa
8. Bluto
9. Aldi Price
10. Haircut
11. Barry
12. SuperDunc
13. NotAPony
14. D'Arcy
15. Hogg

16. Turner
17. Shrek
18. Ragnar
19. Cummings
20. Ragnar's wee brother
21. Wee George
22. Hutchie
23. King Blarehorn

An "interesting" selection. It would appear that quite a few players are being kept in the safe place : with SJ out Toonie is not risking Furra, Seymour and No Maits are similarly being looked after. However, it looks like Taylor will be asked to play 80 minutes in order to address the elephant in the room. The bench has the look of being mainly "possibles" rather than "probables" but if they come on and stick it up the French then they could do themselves a lot of good. I agree with Gee that Saturday will most likely see people play themselves OUT of the squad rather than into it so Barry has to look very good on the wing otherwise he may have had his last game this summer. Actually the whole bench has that look. Shocked

I'm not at all sure that Barcs-Bluto-Mbawsa is our best back row.
Will Shrek-Turner-Ragnar stand up against a huge French front row? No matter who they play it will be huge.
Similarly, Scott Cummings will really be in at the deep end if he comes on after 60 minutes against a French side who are 25 points up and on the randan.
It may sound heretical, but if Blarehorn comes on at 15 and doesn't make a big impact then it's NoMaits as back up to Hogg in Japan. By big impact I think I mean make the smart choices when he has an overlap outside him and the French full back in front of him.
Wee George and Hutchie??? Either they come on and France are losing and in disarray Yahoo OR they come on behind a retreating pack and look totally ineffectual. Sad I think they could actually see their chances of travelling disappear without their actually doing much wrong. This assumes Toonie takes two 9's, which is not as unlikely as it may at first sound.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 14 Aug 2019, 12:58 pm

Does anyone know if this game will be free streamed anywhere?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 14 Aug 2019, 1:03 pm

On further reflection, I can't wait to see how Ritchie goes - he was pretty much dropped from the Edinburgh team following a very strong 6N - i'm sure he will be pretty fired up - in the training pictures it looks like he has put on a bit of size as well.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Aug 2019, 1:22 pm

15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN  - Definite Pick

14. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh)
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick
12. Duncan Taylor (Saracens) - Definite Pick
11. Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks)

10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick

1. Jamie Bhatti (Edinburgh)
2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) - Definite Pick
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) - Definite Pick
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh)
5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) - Definite Pick
6. John Barclay VICE CAPTAIN
7. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh)
8. Josh Strauss (Blue Bulls)

Substitutes
16. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick
17. Gordon Reid (Ayrshire Bulls)
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick
19. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors)
20. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors)
22. Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints)
23. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh)

Baring injuries, I would say that there are 8 definite squad picks starting and 2 more on the bench, though I think it highly unlikely that we will go with 2 SHs, so Hornito also comes into that category in all likliehood.

It will be interesting to see how that compares with next weekend. This team, which is decent and would knock spots off many others that have run out in blue over the recent years, is far from our first strength team and gives a really good indication as to how our depth has improved over the past few years.

It also suggests that a lot of players on the park are really going to have to put in a shift to state their case. There will be an awful lot of pressure on them, knowing that this may be their best and in some cases only chances. That could work for or against them.

I am glad that he is giving them all a shout though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Wed 14 Aug 2019, 1:50 pm

That backline looks tasty. The centre partnership is a statement of intent. I think if they go well together they'll be travelling and starting together. If they don't click then I suspect one is likely to miss out. Equally I think one of McGuigan and Graham will miss out. Both half-backs will travel. Strauss is probably clawing back to get in, with Bradbury starting to look the business in a Scotland shirt. I suspect both flankers are probables if not certainties. Same with the locks, although I imagine Gilchrist is fairly set with Richie Gray out of the equation (still feels weird writing that, didn't seem long ago he was on the course to be a Scotland great).

Still I'm very excited to see that midfield play together.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Aug 2019, 2:09 pm

123456789. wrote:That backline looks tasty. The centre partnership is a statement of intent. I think if they go well together they'll be travelling and starting together. If they don't click then I suspect one is likely to miss out. Equally I think one of McGuigan and Graham will miss out. Both half-backs will travel. Strauss is probably clawing back to get in, with Bradbury starting to look the business in a Scotland shirt. I suspect both flankers are probables if not certainties. Same with the locks, although I imagine Gilchrist is fairly set with Richie Gray out of the equation (still feels weird writing that, didn't seem long ago he was on the course to be a Scotland great).

Still I'm very excited to see that midfield play together.

I am pretty sure Jones and Taylor will get another run out together in one of the Georgia games, I am not sure if they have ever played together and will need a bit of game time to get the feel of each other. They are quite likely to be our starting pairing in the centre.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 Aug 2019, 2:19 pm

Are we really thinking Barclay isn't a definite pick??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 14 Aug 2019, 2:30 pm

I'd add Bhatti to that list as well, can't see either him or Barclay being left behind.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 14 Aug 2019, 2:32 pm

Due to rapid turnover over the last year and subsequent increase in depth i think that this selection is wide open, the most open it's been since I've followed Scotland. I wouldn't rule anyone out on that bench, there is a lot of talent and experience there.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 14 Aug 2019, 2:36 pm

BigGee wrote:15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN  - Definite Pick Probably shouldn't play again, maybe last 20 in the second Georgia game.

14. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) If he replicates his 6 nations form on Saturday he should go.
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick IF, big if, his staying behind after class to work on his defence has paid off then he's a definite. Still could be Taylor and Hutch as 13's
12. Duncan Taylor (Saracens) - Definite Pick If he is fit. The problem is, he'll need two, possibly three matches before the Ireland game to get some kind of match fitness and that increases the likelihood of an injury.
11. Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks) Fifth choice at best. Needs to score a hat-trick on Saturday, unless the rumours of him videoing Toonie, Trump and the drunk Walrus are true.

10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick

1. Jamie Bhatti (Edinburgh)
2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) - Definite Pick
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) - Definite Pick
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) A shoot out between him and Cummings for the fourth place.
5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) - Definite Pick Has there ever been a more underwhelming Definite Pick? Cap'n Kellock at least was "inspirational".
6. John Barclay VICE CAPTAIN
7. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh)
8. Josh Strauss (Blue Bulls) I think it's shoogly peg time for all three of these chaps: due to the genuine competition in the back row, rather than any McGuigan type shortcomings in their game.

Substitutes
16. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick
17. Gordon Reid (Ayrshire Bulls) Final proof of the World Classishness of Ayr
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) - Definite Pick
19. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors)
20. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors)
22. Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints)
23. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) How someone blessed with his pace and talent isn't guaranteed a seat on the plane is almost beyond me...but he does make the wrong choice far too often.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 14 Aug 2019, 3:10 pm

Sensiball has started a France World Cup Warm Up thread.

here's an interesting comment

However, observers at Les Bleus training camps note that Galthie seems to be calling the shots. The players talk about being asked to play a high tempo game with a greater emphasis of training with ball in hand. Apparently Galthie had an epiphany watching Glasgow warm up for their European fixture when he coached Montpellier back in 2014. He was impressed by the pace and accuracy with which Glasgow worked, even in their warm up and saw that as a blueprint for French rugby instead of the often slow forward dominated game. Unfortunately for Galthie a run of bad form and injuries to key players (Trin-Duc, Ouedraogo and Gorgodze ) led to a poor finish and then the sack at the end of the 2014 season by the disgruntled owner.

Are we about to see the rebirth of Les Blues as a running, helter-skelter rugby troupe?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 14 Aug 2019, 3:16 pm

Can we address the real biting question here please?

WTF is going on with Duncan Taylor’s hair?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Aug 2019, 3:24 pm

RDW wrote:Are we really thinking Barclay isn't a definite pick??

Yes, if he shows some form. I don't think he just walks onto the plane though, the young guns won't be bothered by his reputation.

I think McInally being made captain may tell the story here, he is definitely on the plane, JB still has some work to do, though I do hope he shows his class and experience and gets on-board.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Aug 2019, 3:31 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:I'd add Bhatti to that list as well, can't see either him or Barclay being left behind.

Bhatti will likely go, definitely if we take 6 props, but will be in a shot out with Big Gordie if we only go with 2 LHs. You would have him as favourite in that battle, but it still needs to be fought.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 14 Aug 2019, 3:58 pm

I wonder where this leaves our favourite wind up merchant, Mr Wilson? Looking at our back row options, i'm struggling to find a reason to include him to be honest.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 14 Aug 2019, 5:37 pm

He'll probably feature. Toonie likes him too much for him not to. Notable absence this fixture is also blade thomson. Will be interesting to see if he gets a start at Murrayfield

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 14 Aug 2019, 5:51 pm

Blade Runner might get a run off the bench next weekend, he has still got to fit Bradbury and Wilson in. He may get a start in the third game if he does well off the bench

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 14 Aug 2019, 6:10 pm

EST wrote:I wonder where this leaves our favourite wind up merchant, Mr Wilson?  

It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it. oh yeah

And Batman does it so well.

I'm not sure if my favourite moment is upsetting the English in the Murrayfield tunnel or Jamie Goerge telling everyone how all the Sarries England players were looking forward to the trip to Scotstoun in order to get some revenge for that incident... and when asked if he'd got his revenge he, allegedly, had to admit, "No, Actually I had to come off after ryan Wilson broke my nose."
You never know when m'learned friends may be reading. Of course Batman wouldn't put the malky on anyone deliberately.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 15 Aug 2019, 8:11 am

He certainly does have a natural flair for it...

It's a poser, he was really average for much of last season, but there is not doubt he is influential in the squad, and Toonie loves him.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 15 Aug 2019, 8:55 am

EST wrote:He certainly does have a natural flair for it...

It's a poser, he was really average for much of last season, but there is not doubt he is influential in the squad, and Toonie loves him.

Keep him in the squad for morale, having jokers in and amongst the young guns keeps them level headed

We probably won't be taking strauss so there's a space freed up already

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 15 Aug 2019, 9:59 am

You have to feel for Bluto, he knows he has to really put his body through a massive amount of punishment on Saturday and the chances are Toonie's already 98% certain that he isn't going anyway.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 15 Aug 2019, 10:19 am

jimbopip wrote:
You have to feel for Bluto, he knows he has to really put his body through a massive amount of punishment on Saturday and the chances are Toonie's already 98% certain that he isn't going anyway.

I'm surprised he is even getting a game actually, he just doesn't fit in the Toonie mould. Aside from that France game a couple of years ago, his performances haven't pushed his case too hard.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 15 Aug 2019, 11:20 am

Can't find a news article for it so just pinched this from sensibal on the French thread

France team for Saturday:
Medard 15
Penaud 14
Fofana 13
Fickou 12
Raka 11
Lopez 10
Du Pont 9
Cros 8
Alldrit 7
Ollivon 6
Vaahamahina 5
Gabrillagues 4
Slimani 3
Chat 2
Poirot (c) 1
Replacements:
Mauvaka 16
Priso 17
Sentiano 18
Lambey 19
Picamoles 20
Serin 21
Ntamack 22
Ramos 23

Interesting team, always thought Fickou was more of a 13 than a 12 and Fofana a 12 rather than 13

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 15 Aug 2019, 12:00 pm

France get the centres the wrong way round. Big front five. Lambey is Harley's little brother if memory serves. A good side but not terrifying.

Great test for the Scotland's front five's set piece and the centres defensively. Who is covering 10 if Hastings has to come off? Hutchinson?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 15 Aug 2019, 12:04 pm

Must be Hutchinson or even Hogg

Presumably Townsend will give Hastings a full 80 regardless of how well he plays?

Winning here isn't a necessity, Townsend will just be looking at how the systems work and form of certain players

Which means his priority is getting players who are definitely going (Hastings, Taylor etc) game time to get them up to speed and assessing how fringe players do in certain scenarios - maybe hutchinson coming on at the 50 minute mark, 20 minutes at 12, 10 minutes at 10?

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Thu 15 Aug 2019, 12:21 pm

Think Wilson is one of those players who will travel for a number of reasons. In order of priority:

1. Fun round the Team hotel
2. Fun round the Training pitch
3. Fun on the bus
4. Leadership??
5. Great man to have around the squad
9. Carrying ability

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 15 Aug 2019, 12:58 pm

I hope hutch will be played at 13. That is his best position after all!

Looking forward to this game, should be entertaining at least!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next