The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

+28
profitius
Dollar Bill
demosthenes
Anglobraveheart
Pot Hale
king_carlos
TJ
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
Tramptastic
bsando
cakeordeath
George Carlin
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
mikey_dragon
Mad for Chelsea
reallybored
TheMildlyFranticLlama
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
nickj
Brendan
jimbopip
RDW
Kingshu
tigertattie
32 posters

Page 2 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 2 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Mon 9 Sep - 17:34

First topic message reminder :

Well a new season is probably time to start off a new thread.

2 weeks to the start of the season and both sides with one more pre season game to go. A lot of unknowns this season again, due to the number of players away with Scotland and other countries for the WC.

For Glasgow, can they continue their general excellence that took them on a fantastic end of season run to the Pro 14 Final, where they just fell short. It might be their last campaign under Dave Rennie, so can they go one better?

Edinburgh also have questions to ask, the main one being whether they can ever pass the ball past the FH and how soon before their wingers are likely to go blue from hypothermia? On a more positive note though, they may finally be playing in Mini Murrayfield by autumn 2020. So only one more year to bear playing in the library!

Good luck to both teams for the coming season, though Edinburgh are more likely to need it than Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by jimbopip Sat 14 Sep - 16:21

Too much of a pic'n'mix (a Woolies reference that Gee and GC will understand) to make any sensible assessment but Dobbie and Tagive both looked good. Dobbie's pass is as smooth as Glen Miller's slide trombone. paddy Kelly took that last restart fantastically. I'll say that again … a Scottish player took a restart which pretty much guaranteed the win. Very Happy

Adam Nicol looks like he will be some player.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Sat 14 Sep - 17:06

It was pleasing that our second half pack looked stronger than the first, so I am quietly confident that we will cope up front even with the international players away.

Jim is right about Nicol, he looks an absolute unit and until Zander, he seems to know how to scrum.

Mathews the Scouse Hooker (you can use your imagination here should you wish) looks like a big solid lad as well. He apparently was the top scorer in the Premiership last season for Boroughmuir and likes playing sevens! He looks like he has seen his chance of a pro contract and is planning on giving it his best crack.

Davidson did well in the second row with Tiny Tim and we did not weaken in the second half when Harley and McDonald moved into the void.

In the backs, I can't imagine that we are going to be starting with Dobie and so will have to put up with Frisby for the foreseeable. Kennedy just looked terminally indecisive, in the same way he always looked when he played for Edinburgh and unfortunately for him, is likely to disappear from view once the others return from international duty. The only real question seems likely to be whether he will throw Dobie into league action off the bench at the tender age of 18?

Gavin Lowe, from the sevens squad, came on and played FH once Thompson went off and you can assume that he is going to be the back up for now. Jacko seemed to get concussed at the end, so that may well rule him out of consideration for a few games in any case.

All the centres did well, but Jones and McDowell looked like the starters for sure unless he gives Shuggy a run at FB, which may be worth a shout.

I imagine with our riches at centre, Steyn may well be playing out on the wing for a bit. Tagive played like a man delighted to get his chance at long last and seemed to take it pretty well. Rory Hughes took his try well and as per usual with him, injured himself in the process.

Two weeks till our first league game in Bloemfontein.

You would imagine that we might fly out there a bit early to get acclimatised. It is going to be a tough old game this time around as they have been flying and no Currie Cup (which they won) overlaps this time around. A lot of teams are likely to struggle down there this season, especially if they go down a bit light. I would imagine that we would probably be happy if we take anything from the game.

We might see a team something like this:

1. Keeble
2. Stewart
3. Rae
4. Swinson
5. Harley
6. Fagerson M
7. Gibbins
8. Ashe
9. Frisby
10. Thompson
11. Steyn
12. McDowell
13. Jones
14. Tagive
15. Bryce

Subs

Allen
Mathews
Nicol
Davidson
Flockhart
Dobie
Lowe
Grigg

You could easily see Jones going to FB at some stage in the game and could also cover wing should the need arise.

Not a bad team, all things considered.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 14 Sep - 17:34

jimbopip wrote:
tigertattie wrote:To cheer everyone up just found an old Canterbury Scotland jersey complete with famous grouse logo while clearing out. Still in good nick. Size 2xl and fits.

As King Lear so memorably said to Goneril when she cast him out onto the blasted heath,
"Ram yer so called 4xl macron pish where the sun doesn’t shine!!!"

(I’m Now you're sounding more like jimbo Jimbo everyday)

Excellent, if not unorthodox, use of the quote function jimbo
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 14 Sep - 21:51

In other news, matt Scott scored a hat trick today.

My bolter for the 2020 6Ns if he stays injury free.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 14 Sep - 22:48

I would agree Nelly, although there's plenty competition. Sounds like fat camp has paid off for him!

Saw one of the tries on Instagram and he looks incredibly sharp.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 15 Sep - 0:20

NeilyBroon wrote:In other news, matt Scott scored a hat trick today.

My bolter for the 2020 6Ns if he stays injury free.

I don’t see Scott as a bolter. He was one of our best centres and injury saw him out the window and even when he came back playing well for Glous he wasn’t getting a look in.

2020 6ns I can see him at 12 with Hutch at 13
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 15 Sep - 0:38

Lots of competition in the centres these days. He could be playing well and still struggle to get into the squad  let alone the team. Of the current incumbents it is only Pete Horne likely to be slipping out of the squad and him not willingly.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 15 Sep - 6:13

^ that is why I'd say he's a bolter because it's been so long since he was last involved and Toonie already has his favourites. He is going to have to force his way into contention and, given we dont have as many options at inside centre, he may well do. Bennett may find it more difficult at OC unfortunately, though him, jones and hutchinson on form would be an absolute dream.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 15 Sep - 23:38

Scott could easily be in the squad for the 6ns.

Name Two inside centres that are better than him.

And if SJ does a jones and starts to fade after busting into the scene, Scott could easily become first choice 12. (And I’m not hoping SJ does fall fro grace)

If SJ does continue his form and hutch or jones show they are the 13 shirt, matt Scott would make an excellent bench option given he covers 12 and 13 even though he really is a 12
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 16 Sep - 8:11

To be fair stafford mcdowall may well be in contention too by that point and toonie obviously rates him. That and when he gets the ball the opposition defence blitzes towards their own try line in fear.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Sep - 8:12

Well i would say that Taylor and Johnson are both better than him atm and McDowell is coming up fast on the rails.

That does not mean he won't get another shot though, but it may mean the dice have to fall in a certain way for him to get that chance.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 16 Sep - 9:21

I still can't put Taylor in the category of "good player" at the moment as he's just not played rugby since Jimbo was in nappies!

He's a great talent and Sarries obviously rate him as they have stuck by him, but he needs to get a run of games.

Having said this, if he has a stormer of a World Cup and scores a brace of tries in the win over NZ in the Q/F then he'll be elevated to Ayr class!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 16 Sep - 17:57

https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/status/1173641126848471041?s=09

Edinburgh highlights here - impressive stuff from Matt Scott! Hopefully he can stay fit this time.

He's looking lean but not lacking in power.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon 16 Sep - 20:15

His first try was a cracker, definitely no lack of power there! Great to see him back in form, hope he can stay fit

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 17 Sep - 9:53

It wasn't in the highlights (I don't think) but the gif Edinburgh posted of Scott driving the opposition back 10-20 feet (disclaimer: I have no idea how far it actually was) was very impressive. Didn't make the game, but from speaking to a few friends who were there, the highlights don't do him justice, he's looking like the player of old. Bennett and Carmichael also had good games.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 17 Sep - 12:43

Scott and Bennett could be a great partnership for us and with the apparent change in playing philosphy, it could be an exciting year for Edinburgh.

I'm hoping that Cockers spent last year making us difficult to beat and this year he'll work on making us a team that plays to win.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Sep - 16:42

tigertattie wrote:

I'm hoping that he'll work on making us a team that plays to win.

As opposed to?

You certainly do things differently in the mystical east.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 17 Sep - 19:50

Ulster might have something to say about that after they pumped you by about a squillion points a couple of weeks ago Jim Hug

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Sep - 20:38

No Llama, our second/third won the first half comfortably then our fifths spent 40 minutes not waving but drowning.
I watched an old John Wooden interview last night. Toonie is a BIG fan of his. Two things he said stood out.

Defences win tournaments. ( Yes Pony I am looking at you)

The journey is very often more enjoyable than the destination. Being the best you can be all week is more important than scoring more points than your opponents on Saturday. IF you give your all every day in training you'll be the best you can be on Saturday. That is success. So for all those Luvvies backs who spent all of last season getting sore necks looking at box kicks ; you didn't win too often, but you never succeeded either.

P.S. Llama, I have sent MrsPip into the back garden to perform her renowned anti rain dance. Apologise to your nipponese hosts for the forthcoming drought.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 18 Sep - 9:12

jimbopip wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

I'm hoping that  he'll work on making us a team that plays to win.

As opposed to?

You certainly do things differently in the mystical east.

We were a team set up on forward play and defending territory. We were mre out there not to lose than being out there to win (same thing but different eh!)

Like you said, defenses win you tournaments. Now we have our platform, We're hoping Cockers is now looking to launch the attack Hug
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 19 Sep - 20:40

Could Gavin Lowe solve the Glasgow fullback problem?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 Sep - 12:28

Trying to think about anything other than that dismal Scotland showing, i see thst Glasgow are out in SA nice and early prior to their opening match against the Cheetahs next sat.

This is going to be an intetesting opener for the Warriors agsinst a high flying Currie Cup winning team. They could easily be a force in the league this season if they can find some away form.

Going out early should give us a shout at being acclimitised and ready to give it our best shot.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 26 Sep - 12:02

Glasgow team out for tomorrow's opener:

Keeble Stewart Rae
Davidson Swinson
BBH Gibbins Fagerson
Frisby Thomson
H. Jones Grigg
Hughes Bryce Steyn

Matthews Allan Nicol Flockhart Fusaro Dobie Jackson Nairn

L. Jones, the Lord Stafford, and Vakaloloma unavailable due to injury.

Not a bad team, all things considered. Shame about MacDowall's injury (head knock apparently, hope it's not serious).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 26 Sep - 12:25

Hmm, Shuggy at 12, probably forced by the injury to McDowell I guess, but it did not go so well when Toonie tried that combo for Scotland one time. He did used to play thete for the Stormers back in his DA days on occasions, so maybd best to reserve judgement.

18 year old Jamie Dobie on the bench is quite a statement though, they must think very highly of him to be chucking him straight into the squad like that.

The Scouser, Mathews should make his debut as well he hsd a ptetty impressive run out against Ulster in pre season and will no doubt be jn the market for a full time contract.

Not s bsd team out though, all things condidered. Going to be a tough opener though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 26 Sep - 12:45

Worth remembering that Shuggy and Grigg had worked OK as a combo for Glasgow (they started together a few times there IIRC) in the build-up to that Scotland game, which might have been Toonie's thinking at the time, though indeed it didn't work for Scotland. With MacDowall out I'm not sure there are that many other options TBH.

Indeed a big statement to have Dobie straight onto the bench, but DR was raving about him when Glasgow signed him, and the alternative's Kennedy, which is hardly inspiring... Mathews fully deserves his chance after doing well in the warm-ups.

Back-row is interesting, as it's probably where Glasgow have the most depth right now given international absentees (only Wilson missing). Makes sense to have two on the bench (could obviously see Harley shift to lock at some point), with the likes of Gordon, Smith and Ashe not involved.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 27 Sep - 14:48

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 27 Sep - 18:55

Well just sbout everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for Glasgow down in Bloemfontein. Missed tsckles, stupid penslturs snd in particular a very miss firing lineout is killing us snd we are getting gubbed.

We have slso lost Grigg snd Davidson off injured!

I would be happy with anything from this game at the moment but it is not currrntly looking like we will get squat. DR got some work to do at HT.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 27 Sep - 19:31

Glasgow won't bd the only team to lose down here this season. What wd have seen tonight however has been pretty embarrassing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep - 19:46

Is it me or has the been a real lack of fanfare about the start of the Pro14 season? I appreciate that the World Cup is on so the focus (including my own) is elsewhere, but I genuinely didn’t remember it was starting this weekend until I saw you posting on this thread this evening! I haven’t really seen any previews, build ups, etc. Again, could be the media has its attention elsewhere and maybe I haven’t been looking in the right places, but has it all gone a bit under the radar???

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 27 Sep - 19:53

If you follow social media, the build up has been there. I don't think the main stream media , who are almost exclusively focused on Japan have done much though and the fsns are clearly focused thete as well.

I don't think it is just Pro 14 though, not really hearing much about the English or French leagues either.

At the end of the day, International rugby still rules the roost for most of us.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 27 Sep - 19:57

In other news, Glasgow got hammered.

Hard to judge that performance in the context of the season. Cheetahs clearly fit and battle hardened and a full complement of players. They will fade a bit as the travel and cold weather takes its toll.

I expectrd a better showing than that from Warriors though, we were all over the place. If we don't play better next weekend at home, then our season could be in trouble as well

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 27 Sep - 19:58

Anyone know if Cheetahs had an influx of players this season? Pineaar was good tonight I heard.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 27 Sep - 20:13

Cheetahs are a selling team, not the most fashionable of SA teams and players get lured on by the bright lights and better bucks of the bigger city.

Not that i know so much about SA regional rugby but i remember Biltong saying that the Free State was the hot bed of rugby in SA and produce players all the time, their only problem is hanging on to them.

They certainly look like they have a half decent team atm, but they have been playing all summer already and may not maintain that form throughout the NH season. They also benefit massively from the altitude advantage at Bloemfontein.

They made the playoffs in their first season and no reason, particularly in a WC season, which will undoubtedly mess up the league results a lot, aught to be abld to do it again.

In answer to the other question, Pinear dix play very well. Brought a lot of control to their naturally chaotic game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 28 Sep - 7:51

Probably the only thing worth taking for Glasgow from that game was the performance of Jamie Dobie, who played the whole of the second half after Frisbe was hooked at half time.

Frisbe and Thompson were both woeful it has to be said and we are going to be struggling at half back until we get some internationals back.

Despite Dobie's obvious potential, he is only 18 and wd csnnot expect to much of him this season.

Niko has been playing SH for Fiji and you wonder if he might slot back in there while Price recovers.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 28 Sep - 12:08

Frisbee, or as I call him WHY???, probably sold the jerseys just before half time. We had possession with three minutes to go and were awarded a penalty in our half which he tapped and ran, cue turn over, penalty to Cheetahs and us defending a lineout on our line. We could have kicked into their 222 and been looking to score at a crucial point. Really ,really stupid decision from him. No wonder he didn't resurface.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 28 Sep - 12:38

I thought that as well, we needed some control st that moment, not the time or the place for a crazy tap penalty.

Dare he start Dobie next weekend?

Might he bring Gavin Lowe in a FH?

Play like that and we will likely lose again though, even bearing in mind that we are playing at home and against a similarly depleted Scarlets.

For DR, the WC can't end soon enough.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 28 Sep - 12:48

Really surprised that nobody (in the Pro14 at least) has pinched Walt Steenkamp yet. It's only a matter of time surely.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 29 Sep - 18:03

Rough start for Glasgow. Unkind scheduling from a Glasgow perspective, but the team will pick up once Scotland are eliminated at the group stages and Ryan Wilson's leadership skills return.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 2 Oct - 9:03

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 2 Oct - 9:34

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 5 Oct - 19:57

Well the way Cheetahs demolished Ulster this afternoon might put Glasgow's performance down there into some kind of context!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 5 Oct - 20:05

At least one of the Scottish clubs is winning games
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 5 Oct - 20:39

Lets see how they get on in Bloemfontein?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 7 Oct - 16:58

jimbopip wrote:
tigertattie wrote:To cheer everyone up just found an old Canterbury Scotland jersey complete with famous grouse logo while clearing out. Still in good nick. Size 2xl and fits.

As King Lear so memorably said to Goneril when she cast him out onto the blasted heath,
"Ram yer so called 4xl macron pish where the sun doesn’t shine!!!"

(I’m Now you're sounding more like jimbo Jimbo everyday)

I dont know if I should be proud or horrified!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 7 Oct - 17:12

Bit of a rugby niche this, but in other news one of the Super 6 teams Heriots played Newcastle B team on Sunday and lost 26-0.

Shows how much work there is to do in the Suepr 6 given they were up against a load of university students and some under 18s, plus a few fringe players from Newcastle who lets not forget are a Championship team.

it is a long way off being a feeder to Pro 14 level, but at least is a step in the right direction.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 8 Oct - 21:27

Glasgow still going with the early season signing spree

Matt Fagerson pens another two year deal after the end of this season. Anorther bit of very good business for the Warriors.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 10 Oct - 9:12

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 10 Oct - 10:31

I did notice on my app this morning that Glasgow got spanked in their first two games of the season. Has anyone been watching? What are the issues?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 10 Oct - 10:52

Most of our players are away at the WC!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 10 Oct - 11:07

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next