The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Refreshed side

+40
Yoda
rosbif
TightHEAD
adambarney
BigGee
Luckless Pedestrian
mikey_dragon
maestegmafia
MichaelT
Recwatcher16
formerly known as Sam
Maddogflanker
SecretFly
Rinsure
Collapse2005
Mr Bounce
Hood83
BamBam
Gooseberry
propdavid_london
lostinwales
Taylorman
Scottrf
Cumbrian
Cyril
RiscaGame
yappysnap
king_carlos
Barney McGrew did it
Soul Requiem
bluestonevedder
majesticimperialman
WELL-PAST-IT
Afro
Geordie
Rugby Fan
Chief
nlpnlp
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
44 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Refreshed side - Page 13 Empty Refreshed side

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 04 Nov 2019, 8:17 am

First topic message reminder :

So a few comments I've lifted from the guardian from Eddie Jones. Pretty much as you'd expect in terms of looking ahead to the next challenge.
“I tell you what happens to teams – they evolve,” Jones said. “Some guys will lose desire, some guys will lose fitness, some guys will get injuries and there’ll be young guys come through. So this team is finished now. There will be a new team made. We’ll make a new team for the Six Nations and that new team for the Six Nations will be the basis of going to the next World Cup.'

Apparently the team at the weekend is the youngest to appear in a WC final so there won't be 15 new guys coming in but clearly a few are coming to the end. Are there particular areas or players jones will be looking at?

For me this bunch stand a decent chance in and around the squad to get more caps soon. Genge, Painter, Willis, Dombrandt, Smith, spencer, Robson and a outside chance of Mullins at full back.

Guys that are all young enough to be around for years to come but all with great potential. Perhaps not as good/proven as some who will step back but hugely talented.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Refreshed side - Page 13 Empty Re: Refreshed side

Post by Gooseberry Mon 13 Jan 2020, 2:44 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:A flank pairing of the Curry twins would not be bad at all.

Is there anything to stop Saracens holding back their international players?
And would they actually do it?

How do you mean? Only really by pretending they are injured. The international windows mandate release, and the EPS agreement extends that. 
The salary cap includes allowances for players called up anyway, so they wont get around any issues with that by not releasing them. Any non England test players called up would only be released for the international window under the PRL rules anyway. 

I doubt the players themselves would be too happy with being complicit in it either.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 13 Jan 2020, 3:22 pm

Yeah, i dont think the players would be party to it...just curious if thats a route Saracens the club would take with the current league position etc.

But at the moment they still have a very strong 2nd team.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 13 Jan 2020, 3:38 pm

Their second choice team would arguably get them in the top 4! I would say a mixture of 2/3rd choice players would still see them in the lower/mid table!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Jan 2020, 7:28 am

So what are your thoughts on your new coaches?

https://www.planetrugby.com/simon-amor-matt-proudfoot-join-england-coaching-staff/

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 14 Jan 2020, 9:08 am

maestegmafia wrote:So what are your thoughts on your new coaches?

https://www.planetrugby.com/simon-amor-matt-proudfoot-join-england-coaching-staff/

I don't think anyone has had a good read on Eddie Jones and his coaches. When England started losing matches under him, it was common to hear that the exit of several members of his coaching team was a clear sign Jones had lost the plot. I can't recall anyone being enthusiastic about the hire of John Mitchell.

Now, Mitchell is regarded as a good choice, and the heavy rotation of coaching staff is seen either as necessary collateral damage, given Jones' relentlessness, or a good way to keep things fresh.

On balance, then, Jones has earned the benefit of any doubt. Still, we may look back and wonder whether the RFU really helped develop any coaching talent during his tenure.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Jan 2020, 9:20 am

Rugby Fan wrote:

I don't think anyone has had a good read on Eddie Jones and his coaches. When England started losing matches under him, it was common to hear that the exit of several members of his coaching team was a clear sign Jones had lost the plot. I can't recall anyone being enthusiastic about the hire of John Mitchell.

Now, Mitchell is regarded as a good choice, and the heavy rotation of coaching staff is seen either as necessary collateral damage, given Jones' relentlessness, or a good way to keep things fresh.

On balance, then, Jones has earned the benefit of any doubt. Still, we may look back and wonder whether the RFU really helped develop any coaching talent during his tenure.

They have managed to retain Borthwick who was rumoured to be leaving for Tigers last week

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 14 Jan 2020, 9:40 am

Borthwick is not necessarily staying. He is on a rolling 12 month contract anyway and I actually think this pretty much confirms his departure. His replacement comes in, they oversee things together through the 6Ns (with Borthwick supposedly the skills coach - probably concentrating on lineout) then Borthwick leaves and they bring in a replacement for Hatley who left after the WC.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 14 Jan 2020, 9:51 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

They have managed to retain Borthwick who was rumoured to be leaving for Tigers last week

Sort of. He had always said he was going to stay with England for the six nations, although Tigers have been trying to get him to come sooner. 

It possibly makes some sense of why hes ended with the rather odd " skills coach" job which whilst hes a great coach isnt the job you'd immediately think of for him.  Proudfoot coming in as forwards coach shows England are planning on Borthwick not be there, I suspect its a short term thing and if he does stay he may be given a more senior role. Its notable that Jones made no mention of him when discussing the coaches given new roles. Borthwick could end up being Jones' successor if he gets a head coach role at club level and does well, so Tigers is a shrewd move for him long term unless England are going to offer him an assistant head role. best I can figure is the skills coach is a temporary thing till he either signs up for Tigers and whilst they find someone to fill that job properly.  (*edit this fits with LTs post above made whilst I was typing this ...no plagiarism!)

Proudfoot seems like a shrewd addition. He certainly will have the natural respect of the England pack after the world cup final. Armor is another coach with a strong background, and fit Jones' approach to attacking play and has been working with England 15s in training camps so theres plenty of continuity there. 

Overall England look to still have a strong team, Borthwicks line out will be missed but he has plenty of long term pupils in the squad so the knowledge and ways of working wont be lost. Proudfoot may bring some new dark arts to the scrum to balance that out.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 14 Jan 2020, 10:20 am

I think we'll need to see the squad in the autumn before we can start to get an idea of impact. They'll have a large input to player choice eventually but think it'll be mainly jones and Mitchell's voicesnwhonare heard on monday.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 14 Jan 2020, 10:56 am

Proudfoot looks like a superb signing. As if the England pack weren’t terrifying enough for the opposition they certainly will be this year.

EJ seems to know what he wants and how he wants England to play and is doing a superb job of making that happen.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 14 Jan 2020, 11:31 am

First Underhill and now Proudfoot. We'll be renaming the A team as the Shire next.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 14 Jan 2020, 11:34 am

lostinwales wrote:First Underhill and now Proudfoot. We'll be renaming the A team as the Shire next.

Matt Dawson was a Gollum look a like Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 14 Jan 2020, 12:29 pm

I'm pleased Amor is there for two reasons: he's English, and he's been part of the RFU. The RFU has a poor record of keeping coaches. Mike Friday and Ben Ryan from the sevens set-up have both had success after England, and neither has good things to say about their experience working with the RFU. It's about time we got some return in the XVs on our coachhing investment.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddogflanker Tue 14 Jan 2020, 6:48 pm

Very excited to see what Proudfoot can bring, Could easily see Kpoku and Isiekwe getting called up for a more physical England side

Maddogflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 14 Jan 2020, 10:57 pm

The Times reporting that Bortbwick is working out his notice.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 15 Jan 2020, 7:01 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2020/01/14/saracens-centre-nick-tompkins-brink-wales-switch-six-nations/amp/

Tompkins considering switching to the dark side.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 15 Jan 2020, 7:17 am

That would be annoying as the guys class. Seems to have just be unearthed or else he would have been a fixture for a while.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 7:29 am

McCall learnt of it in November.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 15 Jan 2020, 7:40 am

A player most would have expected to be in the England squad this time round. Pivac will have done well to get in their and convince him to changeover. Wales have some injuries in the centres at the minute but when those players are back is Thompkins going to get a look in? You'd have thought Pivac would go with his old Scarlets centre partnership though they aren't getting any younger.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 15 Jan 2020, 8:18 am

The second hes in the team he will be there for the next 6 years. Hope jones is on the phone to him.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 9:14 am

We may see him named in two squads?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 15 Jan 2020, 9:45 am

Think the lamb I had for lunch on Sunday may have had a grandparent once visit Wales, do you think they'll be digging that out for a spot on the bench?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 9:48 am

BamBam wrote:Think the lamb I had for lunch on Sunday may have had a grandparent once visit Wales, do you think they'll be digging that out for a spot on the bench?

Ah but it was New Zealand lamb, so you qualify there too.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 15 Jan 2020, 9:54 am

NZ would only be interested due to the lamb's Samoan grandparent

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 15 Jan 2020, 10:17 am

How does Tompkins qualify for Wales?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 10:23 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:How does Tompkins qualify for Wales?

Granny born in Wales in 1933 apparently. So Welsh he only found out about it earlier this season Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 15 Jan 2020, 10:42 am

He signed a new contract with Sarries through to 2022 last year, so could be an interesting situation for them in a year or so if he wants to carry on playing for Wales

Moving Daly to 13 permanently would be an option, but his versatility at 12/13 has always been a strength imo.

Shame for England, but if other teams are going to be stalking little old ladies there's not a lot we can do

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:08 am

LondonTiger wrote:

Granny born in Wales in 1933 apparently. So Welsh he only found out about it earlier this season Very Happy

That was Mark McCall who only found out about it earlier this season no, and not Tompkins as you?re implying? It?s a selection that probably won?t sit right with a lot of people but what can you do. I?m glad, personally, as we aren?t putting out enough good centres. It?s why we were set to rely on Halaholo.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:09 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

That was Mark McCall who only found out about it earlier this season no, and not Tompkins as you?re implying? It?s a selection that probably won?t sit right with a lot of people but what can you do. I?m glad, personally, as we aren?t putting out enough good centres. It?s why we were set to rely on Halaholo.

MCCall end of last November, Tompkins at start of the season - according to rumours on Saracens bulletin board.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:18 am

LondonTiger wrote:We may see him named in two squads?

That would create an interesting side show.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:20 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:We may see him named in two squads?

That would create an interesting side show.

I wonder how big Wales subscription to Ancestry.com is?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:22 am

Surely he would have had to accept a call up to be named in the squad. With that in mind, I can't imagine Eddie would name him in the England squad, would be a PR disaster if he then picks them

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:28 am

Tompkins done. Sheedy next...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:31 am

Also, Will Rowlands is a new one. Who even is he Very Happy

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 15 Jan 2020, 11:58 am

BamBam wrote:Surely he would have had to accept a call up to be named in the squad. With that in mind, I can't imagine Eddie would name him in the England squad, would be a PR disaster if he then picks them
Not really. Gary Graham switched (back) to Scotland easily enough.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:02 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
BamBam wrote:Surely he would have had to accept a call up to be named in the squad. With that in mind, I can't imagine Eddie would name him in the England squad, would be a PR disaster if he then picks them
Not really. Gary Graham switched (back) to Scotland easily enough.

Just seen the quotes from Tompkins - makes me feel that Eddie had not been in touch.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:09 pm

Nearly two years ago, the Mail on Sunday identified Tompkins, Joe Marchant, Max Clark, Johnny Williams and Sam Moore as targets for Wales.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5721905/Wales-attempt-poach-five-England-hopefuls-ahead-2019-World-Cup.html

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:15 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Nearly two years ago, the Mail on Sunday identified Tompkins, Joe Marchant, Max Clark, Johnny Williams and Sam Moore as targets for Wales.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5721905/Wales-attempt-poach-five-England-hopefuls-ahead-2019-World-Cup.html

Fair enough, wonder if Wales spoke to Tompkins before this and his was hoping for England, or this was the first discussion. I feel we have lost a good un

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:19 pm

Would he risk his career at Sarries and possible England inclusion for what could turn out to be a few games whilst the injured get back to fitness. How is Pivac getting around the "play in Wales" rule, or doesn't it apply to players that didn't know they were Welsh.

As has been said a lot on these boards, the granny qualifying rule should move up a generation. I have a grandfather who was born in NI, but came to live in the North East when still a boy; I therefore qualify for Ireland, but I am a proud Englishman, I could never represent any other country. It would just not feel right.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:25 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Would he risk his career at Sarries and possible England inclusion for what could turn out to be a few games whilst the injured get back to fitness. How is Pivac getting around the "play in Wales" rule, or doesn't it apply to players that didn't know they were Welsh.

Not capped so rules do not apply. I suspect if he is as good as we think various exceptions would be made as per Tomas Francis. In fact in the new rules they may allow a mass dispensation for guys who have never been to played in Wales.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:31 pm

Do you think Tompkins is actually on Jones radar??

He seems to have his core?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:33 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Nearly two years ago, the Mail on Sunday identified Tompkins, Joe Marchant, Max Clark, Johnny Williams and Sam Moore as targets for Wales.

Is that Johnny Williams who is with us? Potentially a brilliant player...but just so injury prone, and recently he's had a health issue. But he's back playing again so if he can stay fit...and move on to a big club then he could be a hell of a 12 for someone.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Is that Johnny Williams who is with us? Potentially a brilliant player...but just so injury prone, and recently he's had a health issue. But he's back playing again so if he can stay fit...and move on to a big club then he could be a hell of a 12 for someone.

Yes thats the one. I think he has a Welsh parent.

To be honest of that list you could understand Sam Moore looking to Wales if he was good enough, and I believe Max Clark was born in Wales, but the rest feels felt like a stretch.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Fair enough, wonder if Wales spoke to Tompkins before this and his was hoping for England, or this was the first discussion. I feel we have lost a good un

Jones may make some left-field selections but has tended to stick with the same core players. If you don't feel you are on his radar, then it's easy to conclude it might never happen for you, because Jones doesn't appear to value Premiership performances. Alex Goode, Christian Wade, Danny Cipriani, Dan Robson, Don Armand etc all head purple patches for their clubs without getting a real chance for England under Jones.

The example of players like Tomas Francis, Jake Polledri, Will Addison, Billy Burns, Mike Haley, Sam Skinner, and even Callum Braley, makes it much easier to see how choosing another side might play out.

We don't even have any Saxons games to capture fringe players, not that Jones used that option at all well when he first took over. None of the Saxons players who went to South Africa in 2016 (including Tompkins and Mike Haley) were employed to any real effect in subsequent senior England squads. As I've said before here: either Jones selected entirely the wrong players for that Saxons side, or else he completely failed in player development. Either way, it remains one his worst failures as England coach.

Here's that 2016 Saxons squad:

The England Saxons squad to tour South Africa in June:

Forwards: Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks), Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs), Tommy Taylor (Wasps), George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons), Jake Cooper-Woolley (Wasps), Kieran Brookes (Northampton Saints), James Craig (Northampton Saints), Mitch Lees (Exeter Chiefs), Charlie Ewels (Bath), Dave Attwood (Bath), Dave Ewers (Exeter Chiefs), Donovan Armand (Exeter Chiefs), Matthew Kvesic (Gloucester), James Chisholm (Harlequins), Sam Jones (Wasps)

Backs: Dan Robson (Wasps), Michael Young (Newcastle Falcons), Oliver Devoto (Bath), Danny Cipriani (Wasps), Christian Wade (Wasps), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath), Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs), Nick Tompkins (Saracens), Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints), Alex Lewington (London Irish), Sam James (Sale Sharks), Mike Haley (Sale Sharks)

Management Team

Head Coach – Ali Hepher (Exeter Chiefs), Assistant Coach – Andy Titterrell (Wasps), Assistant Coach – Alan Dickens (Northampton Saints), Team Manager – Richard Hill

Worth also recalling that those England Saxons players beat South Africa A 2-0 in South Africa, which was no mean feat.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:44 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Do you think Tompkins is actually on Jones radar??

He seems to have his core?

I have to assume no. If Jones was considering calling him up then he would surely have spoken to the lad. Pretty sure if it was a straight choice then Tompkins would have chosen England.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:48 pm

Our 13 options are ok as it is, but he would have offered an alternative. Manu and JJ have had plenty of injury problems, and Slade has missed a few games with injury too.

Think LT is right with the above, but would be a shame if he does perform well at the next level

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 12:53 pm

Slade currently injurerd (broken ankle), perhaps out until March. (At end of December Baxter said 6-8 weeks before he would be back in training)

Manu has missed the last 3 weeks with his groin strain.

JJ is fit I think.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 15 Jan 2020, 1:09 pm

Is Tompkins a 12 or 13.
13 i think we are fine.

12 is the area of concern. Farrell does a job, but the rest are all possibles to be looked at (Devoto etc ) or tried and not fit the bill (Piers Francis etc).

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 15 Jan 2020, 1:13 pm

To be fair I don't think Francis has let us down as such. He just doesn't feel like a permanent fixture

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 15 Jan 2020, 1:19 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Is Tompkins a 12 or 13.

Both.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next