The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Refreshed side

+40
Yoda
rosbif
TightHEAD
adambarney
BigGee
Luckless Pedestrian
mikey_dragon
maestegmafia
MichaelT
Recwatcher16
formerly known as Sam
Maddogflanker
SecretFly
Rinsure
Collapse2005
Mr Bounce
Hood83
BamBam
Gooseberry
propdavid_london
lostinwales
Taylorman
Scottrf
Cumbrian
Cyril
RiscaGame
yappysnap
king_carlos
Barney McGrew did it
Soul Requiem
bluestonevedder
majesticimperialman
WELL-PAST-IT
Afro
Geordie
Rugby Fan
Chief
nlpnlp
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
44 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Refreshed side - Page 12 Empty Refreshed side

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:17 am

First topic message reminder :

So a few comments I've lifted from the guardian from Eddie Jones. Pretty much as you'd expect in terms of looking ahead to the next challenge.
“I tell you what happens to teams – they evolve,” Jones said. “Some guys will lose desire, some guys will lose fitness, some guys will get injuries and there’ll be young guys come through. So this team is finished now. There will be a new team made. We’ll make a new team for the Six Nations and that new team for the Six Nations will be the basis of going to the next World Cup.'

Apparently the team at the weekend is the youngest to appear in a WC final so there won't be 15 new guys coming in but clearly a few are coming to the end. Are there particular areas or players jones will be looking at?

For me this bunch stand a decent chance in and around the squad to get more caps soon. Genge, Painter, Willis, Dombrandt, Smith, spencer, Robson and a outside chance of Mullins at full back.

Guys that are all young enough to be around for years to come but all with great potential. Perhaps not as good/proven as some who will step back but hugely talented.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Refreshed side - Page 12 Empty Re: Refreshed side

Post by Geordie Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:44 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:In light of Slade and Manu's injuries, i'd be happy to see Devoto come into the squad. Big payer, great offload, and seems to be flourishing since moving to Exeter. When Tigers played the Chiefs a few weekends ago he was infuriatingly efficient at breaking the gain line and always got his hands free. I think England could do a lot worse than giving him a shot in the 6N.

Eddie, to be fair a half hearted sloth could break the Tigers defence these days.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:57 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:In light of Slade and Manu's injuries, i'd be happy to see Devoto come into the squad. Big payer, great offload, and seems to be flourishing since moving to Exeter. When Tigers played the Chiefs a few weekends ago he was infuriatingly efficient at breaking the gain line and always got his hands free. I think England could do a lot worse than giving him a shot in the 6N.

Eddie, to be fair a half hearted sloth could break the Tigers defence these days.

It's still a bit too raw for jokes GF. We're on a streak of a draw and a win- let us fans enjoy it for a few more days please.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:05 pm

lostinwales wrote:France are, arguably, improving though. Nothing is a given

Agree with you there lost, but I think most would be disappointed if we managed to lose to France in the opener

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:07 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

It's still a bit too raw for jokes GF. We're on a streak of a draw and a win- let us fans enjoy it for a few more days please.

laughing laughing Laugh Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:20 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

This season the sloth has to remember not to run at Taufua or Lavanini to be fair.

Maybe Eastmond should start wearing a scrum cap as a clever disguise to look like a forward...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:22 pm

BamBam wrote:

Agree with you there lost, but I think most would be disappointed if we managed to lose to France in the opener

Guirado retiring is an enormous blow for France as well. Even at 33-years old he's still one of the best hookers and leaders in rugby.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:25 pm

king_carlos wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Guirado retiring is an enormous blow for France as well. Even at 33-years old he's still one of the best hookers and leaders in rugby.

That's true, but Camille Chat is a hugely imposing player. It will be great to see what he can achieve with a string of starts rather than bench appearances.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:29 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
BamBam wrote:

That's true, but Camille Chat is a hugely imposing player. It will be great to see what he can achieve with a string of starts rather than bench appearances.

Sounds like something produced by a desert animal Whistle

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:42 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
BamBam wrote:

A physical monster but yet to find consistency particularly in set-piece hence the high proportion of bench appearances. No doubt talented and only 24-years old though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Sounds like something produced by a desert animal Whistle

It's a terribly unfortunate name. Jim Hamilton and Andy Goode on the Rugby Pod always have a good laugh about it. Cracking podcast if anyone on here doesn't happen to listen to it

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Chat is a great player, was looking at the France thread earlier and was wondering if he'd get the opportunity to start or if there was another hooker ahead of him in the pecking order. Guirado offered a hell of a lot of leadership though, and most of the time looked by far the best player on his team so he'll be a big loss

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Rumors that Kruis may depart Saracens, possibly for Japan, at the end of the season. This would end his England career.

If this is true I'd be tempted to leave him out of the 6N squad altogether.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:26 pm

If true, Kruis would be big in Japan.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:33 pm

guestalt_physicality wrote:If true, Kruis would be big in Japan.

Turning Japanese, guestalt?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:03 pm

Excuse me?

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:37 pm

lostinwales wrote:
guestalt_physicality wrote:If true, Kruis would be big in Japan.

Turning Japanese, guestalt?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:39 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7866333/Sale-flanker-Ben-Curry-set-join-twin-brother-Tom-Eddie-Jones-England-squad-Six-Nations.html

Sale believe Ben Curry has as much international pedigree as his brother, with particular quality at the breakdown and in defence, as well as acting as a link man in open play. But Jones is understood to have previously indicated to the club that the uncapped Curry should be converted into a scrum-half.

picard

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:49 pm

LondonTiger wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7866333/Sale-flanker-Ben-Curry-set-join-twin-brother-Tom-Eddie-Jones-England-squad-Six-Nations.html

Sale believe Ben Curry has as much international pedigree as his brother, with particular quality at the breakdown and in defence, as well as acting as a link man in open play. But Jones is understood to have previously indicated to the club that the uncapped Curry should be converted into a scrum-half.

picard

Mauro Bergamasco mark II!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Laugh

What on earth?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Sounds like a standard EJ curveball, probably just seeing how far and fast such a rumor will spread

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:37 pm

Sale enjoying it on their Twitter feed

https://twitter.com/SaleSharksRugby/status/1215292766126854145

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm

Dont particularly want to click on a daily mail link bit I'm assuming that jones was taking the mick.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 pm

He'd still probably pass better then Youngs...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:23 am

I refuse to click on a Daily Heil link, so will have to take your word for it. Scrum half just seems bizarre. Another failed attempt to jam a flanker into the hooking position I could have believed, but this has got to be a joke...

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Well, Harry Mallinder makes his return from injury on Sunday, perhaps EJ will make a request to Boyd to play him at lock. A sort of Banahan in reverse.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:40 pm

yappysnap wrote:He'd still probably pass better then Youngs...

Who's brother was a center who played at hooker for England and the Lions so who knows

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddogflanker Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:34 pm

by WELL-PAST-IT

Well, Harry Mallinder makes his return from injury on Sunday, perhaps EJ will make a request to Boyd to play him at lock. A sort of Banahan in reverse.

Not many locks with a kicking game tbf.

Maddogflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Maddogflanker wrote:by WELL-PAST-IT

Not many locks with a kicking game tbf.

John Eales?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:53 am

Doesn't look good for watson. Went down in a pretty innocuous moment clutching his knee. Guess Furbank moves a step further towards a debut?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:14 am

He might make the squad if Watson is out, he has the versatility that EJ likes, can play right across the backline from 10 -15
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:16 pm

Joel Kpoku was excellent for Sarries when he came on today. He is a mountain of a man, carries brutally and hits hard in the tackle.

If Jones is looking for a more physical lock after how the pack fared in the RWC final then I could see Kpoku getting a look in. A very impressive second row for only 20-years old.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:01 pm

For the wing position, I thought that both Nowell and Thorley were excellent in their respective matches.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:03 pm

However, Watson looks like he is going to be okay:

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/stuart-hooper-plays-down-anthony-3729314
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:52 am

Shouldn't we stick with a largely unchanged team and look to set down a marker this 6N's? Win the GS show the RWC final was a one off, and carry on building with the very talented and young squad that we have.

What I don't think we want to do is start another overhaul. Just ditch Youngs, stop playing Daly at fb, replace the injuries and the retired players and carry on with the players we have.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:36 am

I more or less agree with that yappy. I think I read that the RWC squad are getting the summer off, so that tour and the AIs are the time to bring through those who have consistently impressed in club rugby imo. I want to win the 6N, and a GS should be the target

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:54 am

I agree, but I think there has to be some changes in the backs due to injuries etc.

World Cup squad:

Dan Cole
Luke Cowan-Dickie
Tom Curry
Ellis Genge
Jamie George
Maro Itoje
George Kruis
Joe Launchbury
Courtney Lawes
Lewis Ludlam
Joe Marler
Kyle Sinckler
Jack Singleton
Sam Underhill
Billy Vunipola- Just doing a bit of soothsaying.
Mako Vunipola
Mark Wilson Injured?

Joe Cokanasiga- Injured
Elliot Daly
Owen Farrell
George Ford
Piers Francis
Willi Heinz- Too old
Jonathan Joseph
Jonny May
Ruaridh McConnochie- Better options
Jack Nowell
Henry Slade Injured?
Manu Tuilagi
Anthony Watson
Ben Youngs

In addition to this, we've heard Eddie say that he wants to get Ben Curry into the squad. I could be wrong, but I actually think there will be more changes than we have been anticipating. Either way, I reckon the squad may be named on Thursday (it has been named on the corresponding Thursday for the last two years 17/01/19, 18/01/18)
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:20 am

I wonder if having both Dombrandt and Sam Simmonds on the bench on a 6/2 split might be something to do, at least once to see. Bench something like -

Cowan-Dickie, Genge, ?, Lawes, Dombrandt, Simmonds, Spencer, Ford or Daly

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:28 am

I don't know if Simmonds will get back in. He was generally very good when he got a chance but we are so used to having a monster at 8

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:34 am

I've seen it mentioned before, and I am starting to agree, that Billy may have been 'found out' a little. He is still an important player and one of the first names on the teamsheet, but he doesn't seem as effective as he used to be. Having a player that offers a different style might be helpful.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:43 am

I think some players seem to play very well against certain teams, and the Vunipolas always seem to look great against Irish teams. Dan Biggar, and also James Hook a little further back, seem to have a knack for being great against England.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm

Cumbrian wrote:I've seen it mentioned before, and I am starting to agree, that Billy may have been 'found out' a little.  He is still an important player and one of the first names on the teamsheet, but he doesn't seem as effective as he used to be.  Having a player that offers a different style might be helpful.

The two questions are
1) Are we assessing him against his traditional ability to knock aside players like bowling pins or are we assessing him compared to other players? Sometimes we seem to assess players differently because they have been so remarkable in the past.
2) Can he adapt to not running through people all the time? The much derided Easter (who could also jump in the line out) seldom made a lot of ground but he was always there to truck the ball up, and very good at tying up defenders and getting the offload.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:43 pm

When are the 6N squads announced?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Cumbrian wrote:I agree, but I think there has to be some changes in the backs due to injuries etc.  

World Cup squad:

Dan Cole
Luke Cowan-Dickie
Tom Curry
Ellis Genge
Jamie George
Maro Itoje
George Kruis
Joe Launchbury
Courtney Lawes
Lewis Ludlam
Joe Marler
Kyle Sinckler
Jack Singleton
Sam Underhill
Billy Vunipola- Just doing a bit of soothsaying.
Mako Vunipola
Mark Wilson Injured?

Joe Cokanasiga- Injured
Elliot Daly
Owen Farrell
George Ford
Piers Francis
Willi Heinz- Too old
Jonathan Joseph
Jonny May
Ruaridh McConnochie- Better options
Jack Nowell
Henry Slade Injured?
Manu Tuilagi
Anthony Watson
Ben Youngs

In addition to this, we've heard Eddie say that he wants to get Ben Curry into the squad.  I could be wrong, but I actually think there will be more changes than we have been anticipating.  Either way, I reckon the squad may be named on Thursday (it has been named on the corresponding Thursday for the last two years 17/01/19, 18/01/18)

I'd fancy you could do without one senior lock, have another tighthead in the training squad, and discount Francis as well. Possibly Ludlam too as he was a bit of and edge case to get the previous squad through injuries in the first place. Even if you think its worth trying another 8 you don't leave BVP out of the squad. Tuialgis fitness is debatable so plenty of scope for centers ( which maybe gives Francis a lifeline). 
Agree that Youngs isnt getting ditched form the squad even if Jones takes a risk on a new starter. Id reckon 2 young scrum halves for the wider training squad would make sense. 

Anyone know how all this works with the EPS this year? I cant remember when a squad was last announced, its usually at the end of the club season then updated in the autumn isnt it? Obviously thats only a guide and helpful from a player management basis and doesnt stop Jones form using players form outside it...but does give a pretty strong indication of the players hes got longer term views on. 

Overall though as Ive said several times before on this thread i would be very surprised to see a squad with fundamental differences from the world cup one for the 6 nations. A few obvious places where there should be some fresh options given spots (SH, FB, 8, possibly hooker) in the training group even if the first 15 remains stable. The injuries are forcing a fair churn of opportunities elsewhere and the summer will see what amounts to a Saxons side touring. This 6 nations is about the seasoned campaigners proving they still have it, the summer is about the fresh faces making a statement for the future. the Autumn is where we see the direction England are going for the following 3 years fleshed out and we see players pensioned off. 

No need for a big bang ripping up of things, but plenty of scope for a gradual evolution of the side.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:56 pm

Going by Underhill's previous injury history, it's theoretically possible that both Tom and Ben Curry could end up as our flankers. Unlikely but possible. He has been on Eddie's radar before - didn't Tom replace Ben before the Baa-Baas game, played a blinder and then toured Argentina? (I seem to recall Underhill starting the 2nd test for his 1st cap in the 7 shirt).

The back row is not something that we're short of options in. Dombrandt surely must be in the mix this season along with Ben Curry.

Does anyone know when the 6 Nations squad is announced??

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Going by Underhill's previous injury history, it's theoretically possible that both Tom and Ben Curry could end up as our flankers. Unlikely but possible. He has been on Eddie's radar before - didn't Tom replace Ben before the Baa-Baas game, played a blinder and then toured Argentina? (I seem to recall Underhill starting the 2nd test for his 1st cap in the 7 shirt).

The back row is not something that we're short of options in. Dombrandt surely must be in the mix this season along with Ben Curry.

I believe Ben was originally the 1st choice. Bad luck for him but England have not done so badly with Tom.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm

A flank pairing of the Curry twins would not be bad at all.

Is there anything to stop Saracens holding back their international players?
And would they actually do it?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Cumbrian wrote:I've seen it mentioned before, and I am starting to agree, that Billy may have been 'found out' a little.  He is still an important player and one of the first names on the teamsheet, but he doesn't seem as effective as he used to be.  Having a player that offers a different style might be helpful.

Last season Billy V was at his best imo. He was looking top class and was getting comfortable with using his footwork and handling and not just his bulk. No way is he finished.

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:34 pm

The new coaching team has been announced

Matt Proudfoot -forwards coach
Simon Amor - attack coach
Steve Borthwick - skills coach
John Mitchell - defence

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/article/amor-and-proudfoot-join-england-mens-coaching-team

Borthwick as skills coach seems an interesting one, although I might be underestimating his coaching!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:35 pm

I agree. Billy is far from done. Just think about bringing the intensity of the NZ match with Billy, putting a hatful of points against a side that are tired and demoralised, and then have them have to deal with Dombrandt. Ouch.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:

Next Monday I believe.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next