The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+15
Roller_Coaster
Pal Joey
Davie
kwinigolfer
pedro
I'm never wrong
Be_the_ball
dynamark
JAS
westisbest
navyblueshorts
Soul Requiem
beninho
McLaren
super_realist
19 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Apr 2020, 10:48 am

First topic message reminder :

Just wondering what ailment you have which does not have a proven cure from modern medicine but for which Chinese "medicine" does.
Mac is the secretive one, not me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Wed 06 May 2020, 9:10 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
beninho wrote:I don't think the telegraph would have run the story without the go ahead from the government, and also if it didn't suit them politically.

And while you are the king defender of the Tory party, what did you think of your mate Hancock telling Dr Allin Khan to watch her tone? Not a good look, and couldn't see anything wrong with her tone.

Though, I think that was a political play by Labour. The shadow government have not been on the attack during the crises but putting up a front line doctor working for the NHS was a move.
Perhaps the Telegraph had to verify its facts? Give Ferguson a chance to respond to impending publication etc? This is the same sh!tty rag that suggested to UKG that building the Nightingales was both a waste of money and time, wasn't it?

Its an awful paper, but if it had issues with building the nightingales, its probably just further part of their agenda to discredit the person behind lockdown. If you look at some of their headlines and journos on twitter, they are pushing to end lockdown.

Though it is still good news that its on all the front pages the day after the UK had the highest "reported" numbers in Europe.

Though unsure if anyone believes the old saying about good days to Bury bad news. Though in a different context.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 9:16 am

Why do the Telegraph need to discredit the person behind lockdown when he did that himself?

I don't think any of the papers are especially good, but the Telegraph is absolutely no worse a paper than the other side of the coin, The Guardian.

So what if they're pushing to end lockdown?  Have you got any evidence that they're pushing to end it and return to normal, or more likely is it the phased release of some of the lockdown conditions, which is being called for from many quarters.

As for the total deaths, the UK is the third largest country by population IN Europe, marginally behind France and every country is counting differently. For example it is being reported that people in Germany with underlying health issues are not being counted as covid deaths.
If anything the UK is being the most transparent now because it is counting all deaths where other countries are not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 06 May 2020, 9:22 am

If the Telegraph didn't report it we wouldn't know he got jiggy jiggy in lockdown.

Obviously, we have different political views, you think the guardian is terrible, i think the telegraph and the sun are terrible. The sun is the worst by far.

Look up the telegraph articles and tweets.

All arguable, but also as I said, we have the highest reported numbers.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 9:26 am

Now you're criticising the Telegraph for reporting the news? The Guardian are also reporting it by the way.
I think pretty much all papers are terrible, you seem to only dislike ones where it doesn't match your political views, which isn't being objective.

Yes, we have the most deaths, but in addition to the government making some early mistakes, like every country did there are very good reasons why this is the case.
No other city in Europe for example is remotely close in population size and density to London.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 06 May 2020, 9:34 am

Wonder if he will be on a disciplinary at work after his 'error'
No doubt London was a big factor early on judging by the graphs.Apparently we call a death Covid if the person dies within the 28 days after their positive test.They may effectively die from another cause but it appears Covid goes on the cert.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 10:28 am

Super is naive fellow.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 06 May 2020, 10:45 am

McLaren wrote:Super is naive fellow.
Tumbleweed
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 10:45 am

McLaren wrote:Super is naive fellow.

I'm just not a paranoid tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist like Beninho.
Nothing he said was anything other than conjecture and supposition, which is exactly the same things that you speak out against adopting as a method for determining what is true.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 10:54 am

It's the fact you seem completely oblivious to how the government - newspaper spin and PR cycle works.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 10:57 am

And how would you know how it works from your low position of a nobody?
Yesterday you were trying to tell me a PhD qualified Neuroscientist knew nothing about Neuroscience and now you're trying to tell me you know how Newspapers work. Hilarious Mac.

I've said nothing about how a newspaper operates and everything about Beninho acting in a paranoid fashion with his assessment of the situation.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 06 May 2020, 1:44 pm

super_realist wrote:Why do the Telegraph need to discredit the person behind lockdown when he did that himself?

I don't think any of the papers are especially good, but the Telegraph is absolutely no worse a paper than the other side of the coin, The Guardian.

Eh wholeheartedly disagree, yes the Guardian smacks of peddling unreconstructed political correctness as espoused by lentil munching sandal wearing tree huggers. At worst its missing the point and doing the left a disservice by being wishy washy at best it’s irrelevant. The foreign tax dodging billionaire owned Telegraph by its very nature has an agenda to peddle and it doesn’t exactly hold back. It also taps into working class insecurities, peddling xenophobia by continually nipping away at immigration issues, at best it’s directly misleading at worst it’s dangerous.

A fair proportion know that newspapers in general peddle Poopie but there is a significant proportion of the population out there that are as gullible as fxxx and that don’t seem capable of working out that the Telegraph is the in house magazine of the greedy elite and therefore  the main objective of any working class reader reading it should be to tear their editorial line to shreds

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 1:51 pm

Sorry, don't see how the Guardian doesn't peddle to the left side of the country in exactly the same ways. It is every bit as biased as The Telegraph with a very clear agenda and when it comes to issues of tax the owners of the guardian aren't exaclty whiter than white, so there's another similarity.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 06 May 2020, 2:03 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:It's worth noting for the hindsight bunch how badly Neil Ferguson has forecast health crisis in the past and perhaps gives an indication why his opinion wasn't taken as gospel to start with. It appears this is the only time he's ever been vaguely right.

Or could it be that back in early March that reluctance to trust him and go with his recommendations cost thousands of lives. How do we know that Ferguson wasn’t pushing for a lockdown much earlier and was ignored until it became blindingly obvious?

I’ve said all along that whilst I have been broadly supportive of their approach in “following the science” I think that as cracks appear and stats begin to tell us that our approach might not have been as good as we thought, that ministers will get to a point where they’ll start throwing the scientists under a bus. Oh!!! Look what’s just happened!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 06 May 2020, 2:06 pm

super_realist wrote:Sorry, don't see how the Guardian doesn't peddle to  the left side of the country in exactly the same ways. It is every bit as biased as The Telegraph with a very clear agenda and when it comes to issues of tax the owners of the guardian aren't exaclty whiter than white, so there's another similarity.

It peddles somewhat to the intellectual soft left. The neoliberal appeasers who’d like to be more radical but afraid to upset anybody’s feelings...so the end up as just vacuous rubbish in the extreme!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 2:07 pm

That sounds like complete balls. The idea that any government relies on one scientist to make decisions on something like this is ludicrous.

He hasn't been thrown under a bus at all, like the Scottish medical officer he found himself in an untenable positon because of his own actions.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 2:09 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:Sorry, don't see how the Guardian doesn't peddle to  the left side of the country in exactly the same ways. It is every bit as biased as The Telegraph with a very clear agenda and when it comes to issues of tax the owners of the guardian aren't exaclty whiter than white, so there's another similarity.

It peddles somewhat to the intellectual soft left. The neoliberal appeasers who’d like to be more radical but afraid to upset anybody’s feelings...so the end up as just vacuous rubbish in the extreme!!

They employ Owen Jones, says it all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 06 May 2020, 2:58 pm

But the telegraph has Alison Pearson. Who is awful.

We can counter your dislikes with other dislikes. Fun times

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 3:00 pm

beninho wrote:But the telegraph has Alison Pearson. Who is awful.

Exactly, which is why I think it's ludicrous to try and score points. I think the majority of papers are terrible, even the FT has become awful now when it used to be impartial.
I think we can all agree that for the sake of this discussion the The Guardian and The Telegraph are awful rags.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 3:04 pm

Super

Your company employs you. Should I sell all my shares in it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 06 May 2020, 3:05 pm

I'm trying to get my head round what Johnson said today. He has confirmed we stopped testing due to lack of capacity on 12th March. But at the time, I think, said they were just following the science.

Did they ever admit they weren't following the science due to lack of capacity or give this as a reason for stopping testing at the time?

I honestly can't remember

I did see something about we had an approved test in January and had offers from Germany, but I'm not sure about that.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 06 May 2020, 3:06 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:But the telegraph has Alison Pearson. Who is awful.

Exactly, which is why I think it's ludicrous to try and score points. I think the majority of papers are terrible, even the FT has become awful now when it used to be impartial.
I think we can all agree that for the sake of this discussion the The Guardian and The Telegraph are awful rags.

But the Telegraph is worse and the sun the worsest of them all. Agreed.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 3:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Your company employs you. Should I sell all my shares in it?

You can't afford shares Mac, and given that it's a capitalist practice I'm sure you don't have any.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 06 May 2020, 3:11 pm

Andrew Neill, raging right winger, but best political correspondent around. Really annoying, as I want to hate him.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 3:14 pm

beninho wrote:Andrew Neill, raging right winger, but best political correspondent around. Really annoying, as I want to hate him.

I know it's like a killer whale playing with a seal and you don't need someone of Neil's stature to do it, but Dianne Flabbot is always fun to watch against Neil.

Probably the worst performance I have ever seen thiugh was RLB, I was genuinely embarrassed for her and had to turn it off because it was so uncomfortable.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 3:17 pm

Ben

Often thought that about Neill. If he just hid his pro brexit and climate change denying slightly better I would have a lot of time for him.

He knows how to be a good journalist he just can't seem to shake off his right wing leanings.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 3:18 pm

Super

I have shares in a fund which pretty much covers all the major oil and gas companies operating in Edinburgh. Family thing that I wouldn't have if given the choice.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 3:19 pm

So let me know which shares to sell.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 3:20 pm

I have shares in a fund which pretty much covers all the major oil and gas companies operating in Edinburgh. Family thing that I wouldn't have if given the choice.

Clearly you know nothing about which companies they are Mac as you have made a clear and glaring error in your statement.

If you don't want them, why don't you sell them?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 3:22 pm

McLaren wrote:Ben

Often thought that about Neill. If he just hid his pro brexit and climate change denying slightly better I would have a lot of time for him.

He knows how to be a good journalist he just can't seem to shake off his right wing leanings.

Has he ever denied climate change is occurring, or more likely is it that he's challenged the unscientific claims of death cults like Extinction Rebellion which are generally not supported by evidence?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 3:28 pm

Enlighten me, what was my glaring error.

On Neill, he was a climate change denier long before extinction rebellion existed.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 3:31 pm

There is not, and never has been a major oil company in Edinburgh, so I'd probably look into your "fund"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 06 May 2020, 3:36 pm

Why would anyone read a newspaper and then react on what they read.years ago we had an oxy acetelene cylinder go off in our metalwork shop we all filed out and went off to sites while the fire boys watched it cool down next day local paper'workers flee for their lives in workshop blaze'.
Looks like the Florence Nights havnt really been tested which is good in a way.Lets get something positive going next week and find ways to get moving with some sensible precautions.My office have already said they will be closed until end of May but we have to get the place moving forward.I would probably be in favour of masks at work and on transport keep the 2m rule for months schools have to open in a restricted way(no breaks staggered classes)needs a bit of thought and effort but noones dropping bombs

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 06 May 2020, 3:36 pm

McLaren wrote:Ben

Which neatly illustrates how you let you biases get in the way of things...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 3:37 pm

Super

Trinity exploration
subsurface global
Cairn Energy
Lousapat oil
Sogum
Inova geophysical
Detlef oil and gas
Ineos fps

Need I go on?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 3:40 pm

Navy

I meant that he let's his biases on those topics get in the way of good journalism.

Also if you are convinced brexit is a poor decision and that anthropogenic climate change is a thing we are in the same boat.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 06 May 2020, 3:42 pm

Not a single one of them is a major and some of them either no longer exist or aren't oil companies. Subsurface Global for instance is a recruiter. Ineos FPS isnt an oil company either.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 3:42 pm

So which one do you work for?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 06 May 2020, 3:49 pm

Trinity exploration
subsurface global
Cairn Energy
Lousapat oil
Sogum
Inova geophysical
Detlef oil and gas
Ineos fps

Need I go on

No Mac you should have got out ages ago. I went to cash end Feb/early March except for one small pharma. I lost about 25-30% on the value of my portfolio between mid Feb & Mid Mar. Looking to dip back in now but I wouldn’t touch any oiler for the minute (although you could say that for them from here...the only way is up, I’m not so sure though so leaving them alone for now) .

[/quote]

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 May 2020, 8:42 pm

We can continue to caveat the numbers but at this point it is hard to see how the UK comes out of this without looking like we stuffed it up.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 6:20 am

Perhaps mistakes were made Mac early on, but every country could claim the same,and there are so many circumstances which have contributed to British deaths that you can't just look at mistakes made. It's a combination of dozens of contributing factors.
Every country has a unique set of circumstances, and Britain is no different, many of these reasons are severely detrimental to the UK in particular.
We have been through this already and instead of just looking for blame which you seem desperate to do, you should look at reasons other than and in addition to your political agenda if you are the scientist and fair minded person you claim to be.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 8:04 am

Let's see what "leaks" and rumours are dropped to journos before any lock down announcement. Bit of testing the waters coming up. Though think its been going on for a while. We have social bubbles, sunbathing and picnics.

I see Graham Brady thinks the public have been a little to willing to stay at home. Which sort of goes with what I heard a while back, that the people have gone further then the government thought it would.

Still think that just opening shops or businesses doesn't mean people will start using them straight off.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 8:19 am

I think hairdressers will be swamped. I look like Lovejoy with this mullet.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 8:32 am

400,000 gowns dont pass the test for UK standards. Do they not check these things first? Sounds like they've been duped by those Nigerian Prince emails!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 8:32 am

super_realist wrote:I think hairdressers will be swamped. I look like Lovejoy with this mullet.

The wife keeps offering, I keep refusing!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 07 May 2020, 8:50 am

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:I think hairdressers will be swamped. I look like Lovejoy with this mullet.

The wife keeps offering, I keep refusing!

Our barber shops have been open throughout. Got a trim the other day but I kept the 70s styling.
Don't think anyone's caught the virus getting their hair cut... but there's still always a risk of a small nick around the ears.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 07 May 2020, 9:51 am

beninho wrote:400,000 gowns dont pass the test for UK standards. Do they not check these things first? Sounds like they've been duped by those Nigerian Prince emails!
picard They gave them the specs, presume Turkey said (guaranteed?) they'd conform.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 07 May 2020, 10:03 am

Some numbers in public today re agegroups.So of about 27000 covid deaths to about 26th April just 300 were folk aged under 44 and around 3000 were in the 44-65 range.rest all over 65.The suggestion is that some of the 300 had health issues as well and would have died .This is a very small number lots get sick but they don't die so the argument is protect the vulnerable to the hilt but let the fit young folk get on with life.
Still got the issue of excess death due to lack of other healthcare to add in.
On shares I used to do a bit and made a minor killing on Barret Developments when they took a hit over standards in a Tv documentary over timber frame building. Big regret I was working at a clients and he wandered in and said his son had been on the phone suggesting shares in a small firm called ARM holdings they were pennies and apparently made something called microchips? Virtually every device in existence has their technology in it the share grew to many hundreds of pounds and sold to Chinese recently I think

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 07 May 2020, 10:29 am

beninho wrote:Still think that just opening shops or businesses doesn't mean people will start using them straight off.
Apparently my local B&Q was swamped when it opened the other day. Queues all around the car park.
Think it will tail off after a while. My local chemist had queues of about 30 people outside the door when this first started, went by this morning on my bike ride and no one in the shop.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 10:36 am

There were queues outside a Costa drive-thru in Edinburgh the other day. I can't think of anything less worthy to queue for when you can make a perfectly good cup of coffee at home.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 10:38 am

The British sadly have American standards of coffee knowledge.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next