The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+15
Roller_Coaster
Pal Joey
Davie
kwinigolfer
pedro
I'm never wrong
Be_the_ball
dynamark
JAS
westisbest
navyblueshorts
Soul Requiem
beninho
McLaren
super_realist
19 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 23 Apr 2020, 10:48 am

First topic message reminder :

Just wondering what ailment you have which does not have a proven cure from modern medicine but for which Chinese "medicine" does.
Mac is the secretive one, not me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 10:40 am

McLaren wrote:The British sadly have American standards of coffee knowledge.

Reminds me of The Grand Tour episode when Clarkson made American Coffee with the shavings from half a coffee bean and lukewarm water.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 10:43 am

I cannot make a coffee anywhere near the flat white I get in a decent coffee shop. I have a tassimo but generally keep it to just an espresso. I really miss a nice morning coffee.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 07 May 2020, 10:59 am

Not had a coffee for 10 years .Had a once only bout of gout and stopped coffee and it went away.Top health tips on 606.
Does anyone think like the Sun that we will be the pub garden this time next week?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 11:01 am

I see our mate Andrew Neill is starting to point out quite strongly that we have to start to consider that UK's are going to turn out to be way worse than others countries.

And that to use supers term the UK's "unique set of circumstances" might well have been self inflicted by our policy choices over the last ten years.

Will be interesting to see if Neills adoption of this stance will get other right wingers and UkG sympathisers, such as navy and super, to reevaluate their stance.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 11:04 am

Mac, how many times will it take you to realise that it is more than just policy?
Are you having a go at the policy of The Republic of Ireland for having a higher death rate per million than Northern Ireland, or are you just being as one eyed as usual?

I'm perfectly happy to concede that mistakes may have been made and which are easy to criticise with hindsight.

Last edited by super_realist on Thu 07 May 2020, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 07 May 2020, 11:06 am

McLaren wrote:I see our mate Andrew Neill is starting to point out quite strongly that we have to start to consider that UK's are going to turn out to be way worse than others countries.

And that to use supers term the UK's "unique set of circumstances" might well have been self inflicted by our policy choices over the last ten years.

Will be interesting to see if Neills adoption of this stance will get other right wingers and UkG sympathisers, such as navy and super, to reevaluate their stance.

You'll be able to provide an in depth analysis of all excess deaths throughout Europe and the world then Mac?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 11:14 am

The "hipster" coffee shops that have sprung up in the UK over the last 5 years have been a great addition. It was previously not possible to get decent 4th wave coffee in the UK.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 11:14 am

Not being the worse sh£tshow in Europe isn't really something to celebrate though is it?

Iits generally agreed the UK is one of the worst hit countries in the world. I think Andrew Neil pointed out the only real variable is Italy, who have only reported excess deaths until end of March.

Last edited by beninho on Thu 07 May 2020, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 07 May 2020, 11:18 am

beninho wrote:Not being the worse sh£tshow in Europe isn't really something to celebrate though is it?

Great input as ever Ben, there's nothing to celebrate in this whole sorry situation is there. Continuing to attempt to make political gain out of people dying is pathetic.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 11:24 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:Not being the worse sh£tshow in Europe isn't really something to celebrate though is it?

Great input as ever Ben, there's nothing to celebrate in this whole sorry situation you imbecile.

Xxx

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 11:26 am

McLaren wrote:The "hipster" coffee shops that have sprung up in the UK over the last 5 years have been a great addition. It was previously not possible to get decent 4th wave coffee in the UK.

What the hell is a fourth wave coffee?

Best coffee shop I have ever been to was in Seattle, a small independent right next to the Starbucks HQ which was towering over it like a predator but which the small shop resisted with a small but defiant middle finger.

Last edited by super_realist on Thu 07 May 2020, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 11:27 am

Soul Requiem wrote:

Great input as ever Ben, there's nothing to celebrate in this whole sorry situation is there. Continuing to attempt to make political gain out of people dying is pathetic.

Its a political situation. You still not understood that? Have you not seen the papers. Unsure why you think only people criticising are being political. Every step is political.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 11:27 am

Google it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 11:28 am

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:The "hipster" coffee shops that have sprung up in the UK over the last 5 years have been a great addition. It was previously not possible to get decent 4th wave coffee in the UK.

I had to look it up, still none the wiser.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 11:29 am

beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

Its a political situation. You still not understood that? Have you not seen the papers. Unsure why you think only people criticising are being political. Every step is political.

Obesity, population density, city size, housing types,
transport infrastructure, tourism, business travel etc etc are not overly political and are factors outwith the government.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 11:29 am

Soul

If you hate the political questions then ask it from a scientific or curiosity perspective.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 11:31 am

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I had to look it up, still none the wiser.

Sounds incredibly pretentious, but I'd expect that from Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 07 May 2020, 11:31 am

I didn't like to ask either.
Not having had coffee for ages its not missed in the slightest cracking business though coffee and cakes.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 11:33 am

McLaren wrote:Soul

If you hate the political questions then ask it from a scientific or curiosity perspective.

I'm fine with the political element, just wish people would stop behaving like it is the only aspect when there are clear and very obvious contributing factors that even a GCSE Geography pupil could identify. It's like morons claiming climate change is all man made but ignoring all the other aspects which add up.

Last edited by super_realist on Thu 07 May 2020, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 11:33 am

Waves of coffee

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_wave_of_coffee?wprov=sfla1

Probably mostly third wave.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 11:35 am

I find coffee as overrated as steak.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 11:38 am

You are not sourcing good steak. Try the butcher in Stockbridge, they have a special steak ageing fridge.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 11:42 am

McLaren wrote:You are not sourcing good steak. Try the butcher in Stockbridge, they have a special steak ageing fridge.

Just not much of a foodie Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 07 May 2020, 11:53 am

beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

Oh the papers, I dont pay any attention to any or them but if that's your source of 'knowledge' it makes perfect sense.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 12:26 pm

Super

Might be why you struggle on dates. Can't be much fun for your companion if you just sit and have nothing to say about the meal they are excited about.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 12:36 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Might be why you struggle on dates. Can't be much fun for your companion if you just sit and have nothing to say about the meal they are excited about.

Do you get excited about meals?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 07 May 2020, 12:42 pm

McLaren wrote:We can continue to caveat the numbers but at this point it is hard to see how the UK comes out of this without looking like we stuffed it up.

In the first couple of weeks after the lockdown, I thought the government was doing well. They seemed to be on top of things, seemed to have a coherent plan, and the plan was backed by scientific opinion.

But the cracks started to appear about a month ago. In spite of the daily press conference, it seems they were never able to source the PPE. The degree of NHS preparedness was questioned by experts. The testing target was met only once, if you count sending out a load of stuff in the post as a test completed. The lack of checks on people arriving in the UK seems to be a bigger and bigger issue. The lockdown seems to be starting to fail now, as people decide they've had enough. All the while the numbers of infections and deaths is rising, albeit at a slower rate.

The government's tone has never been anything other than self congratulatory, that if they hadn't done such a good job, things would be far worse. But the numbers are not really indicating that it could be much worse. Excess deaths seems to be very high, and it may be that the number of Covid 19 deaths has been understated, especially in the early weeks.

Now some High Court judge is suggesting that the government has deliberately engendered a climate of panic and fear to keep people indoors. It seems that the economy is tanking, it'll take years to fix, and why? Maybe because the government was worried about swamping the NHS, or maybe because the experts didn't figure out that we may all get Covid 19 at some point.

So perhaps in a year, or maybe two, someone is going to hold an inquiry into what happened and why, and it's hard to see beyond McLaren's point that the verdict will be that, in spite of what they said, the government wasn't prepared, the scientific advice was wrong, the Imperial College advice was wrong and the government was too slow to react.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 12:48 pm

Super

Yes, like most normal poele I get excited about food.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 12:49 pm

What is your date chat?

What constitutes an oil and gas company or golf?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 12:54 pm

McLaren wrote:What is your date chat?

What constitutes an oil and gas company or golf?

Conversation is whatever it is Mac. I find the obsession people have with certain ways of making and consuming food to be incredibly pretentious especially people like  that fat wanchor who runs The Fat Duck.
No idea why we make superstars out of people making food, whilst programmes like GBBO are just contributing to making this country so disgustingly fat.

I like food, and I enjoy it, but I don't read books about it, watch TV programmes on it or eat in poncy places where food is more about preparation and blowing smoke up the backside of the chef than it is about the actual food.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 1:06 pm

Realist, what gives you pleasure in life? Obviously not cooking nice food, or eating at good restaurants. What do you do for fun? Do go on the hammer with your mates, or go the gigs? Visit hookers? Pegging? We seem to get a lot ifvwhat you hate, but not much on what you like apart from running and golf, which I'm not even sure you like that much

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 1:10 pm

Beninho, I used to be a chef when I was much younger. I've done loads of cooking which is probably why I'm so indifferent to food now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 07 May 2020, 2:31 pm

George1507 wrote:
McLaren wrote:We can continue to caveat the numbers but at this point it is hard to see how the UK comes out of this without looking like we stuffed it up.

In the first couple of weeks after the lockdown, I thought the government was doing well. They seemed to be on top of things, seemed to have a coherent plan, and the plan was backed by scientific opinion.

But the cracks started to appear about a month ago. In spite of the daily press conference, it seems they were never able to source the PPE. The degree of NHS preparedness was questioned by experts. The testing target was met only once, if you count sending out a load of stuff in the post as a test completed. The lack of checks on people arriving in the UK seems to be a bigger and bigger issue. The lockdown seems to be starting to fail now, as people decide they've had enough. All the while the numbers of infections and deaths is rising, albeit at a slower rate.

The government's tone has never been anything other than self congratulatory, that if they hadn't done such a good job, things would be far worse. But the numbers are not really indicating that it could be much worse. Excess deaths seems to be very high, and it may be that the number of Covid 19 deaths has been understated, especially in the early weeks.

Now some High Court judge is suggesting that the government has deliberately engendered a climate of panic and fear to keep people indoors. It seems that the economy is tanking, it'll take years to fix, and why? Maybe because the government was worried about swamping the NHS, or maybe because the experts didn't figure out that we may all get Covid 19 at some point.

So perhaps in a year, or maybe two, someone is going to hold an inquiry into what happened and why, and it's hard to see beyond McLaren's point that the verdict will be that, in spite of what they said, the government wasn't prepared, the scientific advice was wrong, the Imperial College advice was wrong and the government was too slow to react.

Pretty much nails it George, I’m much the same, I got sucked in giving them the benefit of the doubt but you’re correct, the cracks are beginning to appear. I still would like to be supportive but as the cracks appear it’s getting harder to defend them. I don’t think the media have helped and I absolutely shudder to think how Corbyn would have been treated had he presided over the current calamity, he’d be hanging from tower bridge by now.

The thing that really riles me is that one the one hand they’re saying “stay in” and on the other they’re effectively pouring petrol on the flames by excluding 0 hours contract staff from the furlough scheme...and where are there thousands of 0hrs jobs?? Yep, the care sector, so thousands are having to make the call of either starving to death or going to work sick (not enough testing to identify that happening and put a stop to it). Yet the media are focussed on one cheating scientist or wee Johnny and his mate sunbathing in the park.

Despite the good intentions and promises there NEVER was a proper lock down, there never was a clear definition of essential work and following on from that there was a complete dereliction of ensuring essential workers had the required PPE. So yes, in retrospect and with the benefit of hindsight, they’ve screwed up badly. If I was more inclined to lay the boot in further I could say eugenics by the back door.

I fear the cherry on the cake will be the ill advised exit from what’s left of the lockdown into a tsunami of a 2nd wave. We shall see

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 2:42 pm

Eugenics by the back door, you were doing well up until that point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 3:05 pm

I read earlier, and not sure if its 100%  correct. That on 26th February Sage advised that the virus was contagious for upto 14 days. Yet the government still talked about only 7 day self isolation at that stage, and we know Johnson still talked about shaking hands in March.

The lock down, is still not really a lock down. Look at who can still send kids to school, though most aren't. I like work at home unless you can't when you can still go to work.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 07 May 2020, 3:32 pm

JAS wrote:

The thing that really riles me is that one the one hand they’re saying “stay in” and on the other they’re effectively pouring petrol on the flames by excluding 0 hours contract staff from the furlough scheme...and where are there thousands of 0hrs jobs?? Yep, the care sector, so thousands are having to make the call of either starving to death or going to work sick (not enough testing to identify that happening and put a stop to it). Yet the media are focussed on one cheating scientist or wee Johnny and his mate sunbathing in the park.

Erm the furlough scheme does cover sickness if the employer agrees to it and it does cover zero hours contracts and temporary staff, not entirely sure where you're getting your information from?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 07 May 2020, 3:56 pm

McLaren wrote:The British sadly have American standards of coffee knowledge.
Laugh Rolling Eyes
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 07 May 2020, 3:58 pm

McLaren wrote:I see our mate Andrew Neill is starting to point out quite strongly that we have to start to consider that UK's are going to turn out to be way worse than others countries.

Poor attempt at a WUM. Must try harder... OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 07 May 2020, 3:58 pm

Laugh laughing
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 07 May 2020, 4:00 pm

McLaren wrote:Waves of coffee

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_wave_of_coffee?wprov=sfla1

Probably mostly third wave.
OK, yah! Who do you think you are? The Gilly Goolden of coffee? laughing
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 07 May 2020, 4:01 pm

super_realist wrote:

Do you get excited about meals?
I do; if they're good.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 07 May 2020, 4:05 pm

George1507 wrote:

But the cracks started to appear about a month ago. In spite of the daily press conference, it seems they were never able to source the PPE. The degree of NHS preparedness was questioned by experts. The testing target was met only once, if you count sending out a load of stuff in the post as a test completed. The lack of checks on people arriving in the UK seems to be a bigger and bigger issue.1 The lockdown seems to be starting to fail now, as people decide they've had enough. 2All the while the numbers of infections and deaths is rising, albeit at a slower rate.

Now some High Court judge is suggesting that the government has deliberately engendered a climate of panic and fear to keep people indoors3. It seems that the economy is tanking, it'll take years to fix, and why? Maybe because the government was worried about swamping the NHS, or maybe because the experts didn't figure out that we may all get Covid 19 at some point.

1 Are people not listening to the explanations on this? Or is it just wilfully ignoring them?
2 Yep; that about sums this country up. Still, could have people ignoring the guidance and toting assault weapons. We deserve everything we chuffing get.
3 What a f-wit. Obviously, as a High Court judge, he/she is trained to comment on everything, not just the Law. Assume it's a guy, and assume he's ancient. Just **** off.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 07 May 2020, 4:06 pm

super_realist wrote:Eugenics by the back door, you were doing well up until that point.
OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 07 May 2020, 4:18 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
JAS wrote:

Erm the furlough scheme does cover sickness if the employer agrees to it and it does cover zero hours contracts and temporary staff, not entirely sure where you're getting your information from?

Aye and the kind of employer that goes for zhc’s is the kind of caring employer that will be arsed with what they’ll perceive as the hassle of coping with staff sickness. The nature of those roles and the law of supply and demand says they’ll bin the sick person if they stay off sick and recruit somebody else. You can argue all you like but care homes are now the epicentre of this and yes there are several contributing factors of which this is most definitely one.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 07 May 2020, 4:24 pm

Nice moving of the goalposts there laughing

Ever worked on a ZHC yourself?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 4:26 pm

Navy

Do we have to call all attempts at a wind up wumming? Don't we all have gentle wind ups with our mates? Just friendly banter.

Someone mentioned the 7 days vs 14 days infectious stage and I would like to bet this will end up being one of the UK's man sausage ups. I have family and friends who are doctors who got covid and were sent back to work within days of feeling better. The WHO had research from March suggesting you could remain infectious up to 21 days after disease symptoms had subsided, neve mind 7 days from onset. There is no doubt the NHS had been sending infectious healthcare workers back into the field.

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 07 May 2020, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 4:30 pm

Navy

What is the explanation for not having set up checks or quarantine for people arriving in the UK? It is something that we have clearly taken a different policy on compared to Korea, Japan new Zealand etc.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 May 2020, 4:31 pm

Super

There are so many low cost non poncy places to get good food in Edinburgh. How often do you go out for dinner?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 4:31 pm

That's the problem Mac, there has been so much contradictory information, that it's difficult to know what to believe.
I think it's deeply unreasonable to think that any government could get through this faultlessly.
You have to deal with the information available at the time, and given the rubbish that was going round from WHO and China at that time, you have to accept that mistakes are bound to be made.
It's absolutely guaranteed that you have changed your views on this whole thing as information has changed, so it's funny that you don't hold yourself to account in the same way.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 4:32 pm

There are so many low cost non poncy places to get good food in Edinburgh. How often do you go out for dinner?

Quite often when allowed, but nothing elaborate like salmon poached in a unclear reactor or something like that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next