The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

+32
Brendan
Welshmushroom
lostinwales
Tramptastic
CaptainHaddock
Dollar Bill
sensisball
nickj
mikey_dragon
Gicater
Anglobraveheart
Mcsweens
TheMildlyFranticLlama
LeinsterFan4life
Kingshu
TJ
Pete330v2
Highland Shaun
formerly known as Sam
tigertattie
RiscaGame
demosthenes
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
bsando
EST
George Carlin
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
Hazel Sapling
36 posters

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 10 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 01 Feb 2021, 12:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

A continuation on previous threads discussing the past, the present and the future of Scottish rugby. A dose a day, keeps optimism away

Halfway through a Covid season and not far from the Rainbow cups, both teams are on the precipice of missing out on the top tier in Europe next year. The Rainbow Cup is a well thought out idea of including sides from South Africa, the home to a new Covid variant that vaccines may not work on, with international travel involving several regions of Europe.

Glasgow Squad

LH: Kebble, Bhatti, Lambert
Hooker: F Brown, Turner, Stewart, Matthews,
TH: Z Fagerson, Berghan, Pieretto, McCallum, McQuillan
Locks: Cummings, R Gray, Harley, McDonald, Bain, Bean
Back Row: Wilson, Gordon, M Fagerson, Darge, Dempsey, Miller, G Brown

SH: Price, G Horne, Dobie, Kennedy
FH: Weir, Miotti, P Horne, Thompson
Centres: S Johnson, McDowall, Tuipulotu, Grigg, Fergusson
Back Three: McLean, Forbes, McKay, Cancelliere, Tagive, Steyn, O Smith

Edinburgh Squad

LH: Schoeman, Venter, Grahamslaw
Hooker: McInally, Cherry, McBurney, Harrison
TH: Nel, De Bruin, Atalifo, Williams
Locks: Gilchrist, Toolis, Young, Hodgson, Sykes, Phillips
Back Row: Mata, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, Crosbie, Haining, Boyle, Kunavula, Muncaster

SH: Pyrgos, Vellacott, Shiel
FH: VDW, Chamberlain, Savala
Centres: Lang, Taylor, Bennett, Dean, Johnstone, Venter, Currie, Hutchison
Back Three: Graham, Kinghorn, Hoyland, Blain, Bofelli, Moyano, Immelman, Owsley

Previous Thread
https://www.606v2.com/t69760-the-glasgow-and-edinburgh-general-chat-discussions-are-limited-to-6-people-before-10pm-to-prevent-the-spread-of-jimboish
https://www.606v2.com/t69555-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-24-covid-funtimes?highlight=banter
https://www.606v2.com/t69038-glasgow-and-edinburgh-banter-thread-no-23-new-season-new-thread?highlight=banter

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Tue 27 Jul 2021, 3:58 pm; edited 13 times in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 10 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 21 Apr 2021, 7:41 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:My relative positivity about Henderson going back to Leicester to get gametime last season has gone down the drain.

12 games for Cam since joining last summer. He's coming along nicely and taking a very active role in the lineout where Borthwick's tuition is clearly showing. Expect to see him back in the match day squad for the European game Vs Ulster next week.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26 - Page 10 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh Ongoing Banter Thread 26

Post by BigGee Thu 22 Apr 2021, 9:47 am

Sam Kitchen and Nick Groom both released early by Edinburgh to pursue other playing opportunities.

Groom heading to England apparently, Kitchen back to Australia.

Could be a coincidence but Jake Kerr also released by Tigers at the same time?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Highland Shaun likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 22 Apr 2021, 11:10 am

Probably fits with the re-organisation of the Edinburgh squad with Vellacott already signed and taking Groom's spot.

Kerr seems like the natural SQ replacement for Kitchen. Sounds like he is rated by Leicester fans but not the strongest in the set-piece. Hopefully it is a Harry Thacker situation where the set-piece weakness is overblown and his work around the pitch more than makes up for it.

The Scot's teams are certainly making up for a poor recruiting round last year. I wonder how much the cut in English budgets is allowing us to compete more effectively for mid-tier talent.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Apr 2021, 11:57 am

Well if Edinburgh's team selection is a sign of how seriously we're taking the Rainbow cup, the answer is not very! I'm happy to see youth given a chance.

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/edinburgh-opt-for-youth-in-rainbow-cup-opener

Although to be fair that's a lengthy injury list at the end of the articles.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dollar Bill Thu 22 Apr 2021, 11:59 am

Looking at the injury list it’s hard to see what option Cockerill has

Dollar Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 22 Apr 2021, 12:04 pm

There is a fair bit of prime beef on the bench to come on later to be fair

I would like to think that team will still have the beating of Zebre

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 22 Apr 2021, 10:00 pm

Yeah I would have thought Edinburgh and Glasgow would be going all out to win this, the way it is set up gives them an advantage. Ie connacht play Leinster, Ulster Munster whereas Edinburgh play Zebre, Glasgow, Glasgow.

While the provinces are taking points of each other Edinburgh could well be racking up the points. Also the two best teams in the League still have European games they will be focusing on.

There is a very good chance to make the final , Leinster and Ulster have tough games and focus is elsewhere and may not make it, giving the likes of Edinburgh or Scarlets a very good chance of winning this.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Apr 2021, 10:07 pm

To be fair as had been said looking at that injury lists the only players available to add more experience are the ones on the bench!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 22 Apr 2021, 10:18 pm

Apparently Murray Mcallam also getting an early P45 from Edinburgh.

Bit more of a surprise that one but maybe not seeing that he has hardly played this year. Another one who has been in the Edinburgh squad for years without ever really making a breakthrough.

Not quite sure where that leaves Edinburgh in terms of props for next seasons. THs in particular.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Apr 2021, 10:21 pm

Ach that's a shame, especially given as he was one of the few marked as potentially needing relied upon in the future for Scotland!

The cupboard really is getting bare...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Apr 2021, 10:26 pm

Thistle rugby podcast (usually a good source of information) tweeting something cryptic about hearing rumours about Edinburgh tonight which aren't good, then a gif with the words "mutiny"

Wonder what that could be!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 22 Apr 2021, 10:42 pm

Dollar Bill wrote:Looking at the injury list it’s hard to see what option Cockerill has
True. I'm surprised that the average age of the squad isn't 12 instead of 24.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Apr 2021, 10:05 am

Some open speculation going on the other forums that Cockers has lost the dressing room and is going to leave!

I guess that is what the Thistle Blog tweet was referring to last night.

Something certainly does not seem to have been firing at Edinburgh this season and maybe things are coming to a head.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 23 Apr 2021, 10:17 am

Strange to think Haircut and Shug have played their last games for Glasgow. Here's my prediction
15 Smith
14 Titman
13 Squiggsy ( Seaman to bench)
12 Lord Stafford ( Furra tb)
11 Forbes
10 Thompson
9 Hornito (House Elf)
8 Fagerson
7 Darge (Big Bad)
6 Batman
5 McDonald
4 Big Ritchie ( Bain)
3 Pieretto (Ragnar)
2 Turner (Chuckles)
1 Kebble (Sue Ellen)

It'll be a tough game but we should come away with 5 points which will set us up nicely for the Annual Slaughter Of The Effeminates.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 23 Apr 2021, 10:19 am

BigGee wrote:Some open speculation going on the other forums that Cockers has lost the dressing room and is going to leave!

Someone certainly does  seem to need  firing at Edinburgh this season and maybe fingers pointing to a bald misshapen head.

Fixed that for you.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Apr 2021, 12:51 pm

1. Oli Kebble (56)
2. George Turner (57)
3. Zander Fagerson (98)
4. Richie Gray (58)
5. Rob Harley (247)
6. Fotu Lokotui (10)
7. Fraser Brown (105)
8. Ryan Wilson (C) (187)

9. George Horne (62)
10. Ross Thompson (9)
11. Kyle Steyn (26)
12. Sam Johnson (69)
13. Nick Grigg (86)
14. Rufus McLean (7)
15. Cole Forbes (2)

16. Grant Stewart (44)
17. Tom Lambert (0)
18. D’arcy Rae (83)
19. Leone Nakarawa (79)
20. Rory Darge (0)
21. Ali Price (94)
22. Ian Keatley (3)
23. Ollie Smith (6)

Unavailable for selection: Alex Allan, Scott Cummings, Matt Fagerson, Chris Fusaro, Adam Hastings, Huw Jones, Sean Kennedy, Kiran McDonald, Enrique Pieretto, Aki Seiuli, Tommy Seymour.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Apr 2021, 12:53 pm

Well DW certainly not holding back on selection, a good mix of youth and experience there.

Good to see the return of the Steyn of Destiny on the wing.

We should see Darge and Lambert make their debuts from the bench as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Apr 2021, 1:08 pm

jimbopip wrote:
BigGee wrote:Some open speculation going on the other forums that Cockers has lost the dressing room and is going to leave!

Someone certainly does  seem to need  firing at Edinburgh this season and maybe fingers pointing to a bald misshapen head.

Fixed that for you.

Cockers is a "you do it my way" coach. It's one of the reasons he was an awful director of rugby. He'd be amazing if you could get him to work under someone with vision who could get him to buy into a bigger idea than being more horrible than the opposition as a game plan.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 23 Apr 2021, 3:39 pm

Setting aside the east coast version of Desperate Hausfrauen that is unfolding at the Reading Room it will be Seaman and Titman will be up against Sarto and Ioane.  Should be entertaining.
Also, I love the idea of the opposition locks getting their heads around coping with the challenges Big Bad presents and then Naknaks comes on!

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Apr 2021, 10:12 pm

The Edinburgh kids played well tonight.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Apr 2021, 10:21 pm

If Cockers was under pressure, he certainly did not show it in his interview!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Apr 2021, 11:42 pm

Nice try from Matt Currie at 13 in his first start. He's something a bit different - a very tall direct runner who hits good lines. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 24 Apr 2021, 2:15 pm

Glasgow getting pumped by Treviso 21-0 at HT. Sounds pretty grim stuff from the weege.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 24 Apr 2021, 3:49 pm

Well I have got that on record at home, but I don't think i will be bothered to watch it, it sounded awful and it is not as if we had a bad team out on paper!

Both Scottish pro sides seem to have their problems at the moment. They are braying for Wilson's blood on the GW forum. I was always of the inclination to give him the benefit of the doubt this season and judge him properly on the next one, but after that, I am not so sure.

It is going to be a long flight home for some of them!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 24 Apr 2021, 4:16 pm

Has anybody on here seen the game?
I struggle to see the point of 'fans' crying out for a coach's head, when he isn't the one on the pitch.
I think that is a mentality best left with a sport where the ball is of a spherical nature. But also size 5.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 24 Apr 2021, 5:11 pm

Glasgow where just mince from 1-15 and Benneton were really fired up

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 24 Apr 2021, 5:52 pm

I did say earlier to get a fiver on Benetton. I wish I'd followed my own advice.
Gray looked unfit. Harley looked like a 6 playing 4. Batman looked knackered. Chuckles isn't a 7. Price looked twice the 9 that Horne did.
10-13 looked pedestrian but that may have been because they were getting rubbish ball to work with.
Hopefully some people will look to redeem themselves on Friday.
Oh did I mention that was probably the worst performance from Glasgow I have ever seen?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 24 Apr 2021, 7:58 pm

I don’t think anyone can call for any coaches head this season. It’s been an upside down mess with the domestic setup seriously jiggered by the the international interruptions

Edinburgh haven’t been good, Glasgow have been worse. Both coaches need next year to see what they can actually do
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 25 Apr 2021, 12:03 am

Jeezo that ended as a massacre - it was 43-7 with 7 to go! Not far from Glasgow's strongest team available too.

Looks like a terrible day at the office. Can expect a reaction in the 1872.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 25 Apr 2021, 11:42 am

RDW wrote:Jeezo that ended as a massacre - it was 43-7 with 7 to go! Not far from Glasgow's strongest team available too.

Looks like a terrible day at the office. Can expect a reaction in the 1872.
And that reaction will be to concede before the game starts, judging by that pile of old scrote.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 25 Apr 2021, 4:37 pm

I'm not sure exactly where to begin separating the truly awful from the simply below par yesterday.
One of the most painful aspects is that it was players who time after time have put in heroic shifts who were most disappointing.
The backs all looked poor : but oftentimes that's a result of an underperforming pack. Big Ritchie looked as if he was carrying a knock, Harley looked as if he'd played too many games and short of match fitness and the lineout was a shambles. Batman looked as if carrying the team all season has taken its toll and he should be taking a break with a pot of Earl Grey and a copy of Consolations Of Philosophy. Chuckles is not a 7 and the balance of the back row was ever so slightly out of kilter; in the same way that BoJo is ever so slightly dishonest. Then!!! At least twice I saw Hornito beaten in a foot race.
Young Thompson had a poor game but what could he do outside that?
Ditto the centres who had slow ball and no space to work in.
POSITIVES?
Aldi Price looked much better than Hornito when he came on. The back three and Ollie Smith looked sharp when they actually got decent ball.
So, Friday...
Nakarawa and McDonald second row?
Do we have a fit back row? ( without Batman and Fagerson) Darge at 8?
Price- Dobie at 9
Keatley to start?
Furra Linee at 12?
Seaman at 13?

DW is getting a lot of stick so it'll be interesting to see if the players fight for him.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 25 Apr 2021, 8:14 pm

I would actually like him to grow a pair and drop a few players after that shambles.

The result against the Luvies, after a game like that, is probably academic against the performance.

At the moment our priority should be to select a team that are going to turn up. That team on Saturday looked the business on paper, yet did not!

That is something, as a Glasgow fan I am not used to and I can never accept.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 25 Apr 2021, 10:21 pm

On the one hand I can agree with you Gee.
On the other.. Batman, BBB, Chuckles ALWAYS turn up but they were anonymous at best yesterday. I think they were knackered or out of position. But who would you play instead?
The result is irrelevant, as you say, let's just show some fight. Oh and competence.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 25 Apr 2021, 11:40 pm

Could the players be guilty of not seeing the rainbow cup as worth putting any effort into?

I know we always say that every player should put in 100% when they pull on the jumper but that’s our world of amateur rugby and playing for the pride of playing. These boys do it for a living and some would argue that should mean they put in even more effort but there have been times where I’ve done 50% at work when I don’t see any tangible benefit in what we’re doing.

It’s been a bonkers season and maybe the players just want to go home. Have a couple of months and then get back to the real thing after the summer?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 25 Apr 2021, 11:42 pm

Glasgow haven't come a terrible team overnight so I wouldn't write them off in the 1872. If anything they're more likely to win now as they're going to have a beasting in training over the next few weeks to fire them up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 26 Apr 2021, 12:08 pm

In about 12 years of properly watching Glasgow, I can't remember a performance worse than the one served up on the weekend. It's been a horrendous season for Wilson to come into the top job, he's been fire fighting from the start, and the performance levels can generally be explained away as a result of the situation he's found himself in: front line players away, poor recruitment for a number of years, key injuries, etc.

It's much harder to use those excuses to to explain the result on Saturday, there were some very capable professionals in the squad and they have had a decent period of time training together. I'm definitely not in the Wilson out camp, he has to be given time to rebuild and put his stamp on things and the recruitment to that end has been very good, but massive improvements are needed going into next season.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 26 Apr 2021, 1:36 pm

Not watched game but it really sounds like a disaster from start to the 75th minute.

If performances don't pick up, there is a real question of whether to move Wilson on rather than give him a proper year. I tend to agree with EST that next season is where he needs to be judged as the squad as a whole should be better balanced (capable FH options, a revived back three, some pedigree in the back-row).

In other news, RugbyPass identified Sieuli as a potential Mona Pasifika player who is out of contract at the end of this season.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 26 Apr 2021, 3:24 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Not watched game but it really sounds like a disaster from start to the 75th minute.

If performances don't pick up, there is a real question of whether to move Wilson on rather than give him a proper year. I tend to agree with EST that next season is where he needs to be judged as the squad as a whole should be better balanced (capable FH options, a revived back three, some pedigree in the back-row).

In other news, RugbyPass identified Sieuli as a potential Mona Pasifika player who is out of contract at the end of this season.

It was grim stuff Hazel, majority either looked unable fitness wise or unwilling.

Sieulli is a very good player, but with Bhatti signed on I can see him moving on. As an aside, I really hope the two Pacific Island teams work, and would be delighted if they are able to attract the likes of AS.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 26 Apr 2021, 7:39 pm

Caught the highlights yesterday and one moment made me laugh.

Johnson kicks a grubber in open play. 'Wow!' I think to myself. 'So he does kick the ball occasionally'.

Blocked by Benetton defence, turnover, try. Shocked Doh Rolling Eyes

It's been a strange period for Scottish club rugby but actually, a lot of younger players are coming through the ranks at the moment so it may be like this for wee while longer. As Rufus Maclean showed recently away to Dragons there is plenty to be excited about.. but there will be some pretty horrific errors along the way.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 26 Apr 2021, 8:07 pm

Agreed Bsando. I'm ancient enough to remember the wonderful Patrick Thistle of the early 1970's. One journalist said of them that on their best days they were a perfect mix of experienced players and talented youngsters. The older players held everything together and allowed the youngsters to express their talents without fear. But then there were days when the older players were just old and the youngsters were callow and inexperienced.
On Saturday our key players looked old and jaded and our young half backs looked like deer in the headlights.
But....there is a very exciting team threatening to break out there.

jimbopip

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 26 Apr 2021, 11:18 pm

RDW wrote:Glasgow haven't come a terrible team overnight so I wouldn't write them off in the 1872. If anything they're more likely to win now as they're going to have a beasting in training over the next few weeks to fire them up.

This is my worry. If Saints can beat the invincible Gers, then this dreadful Glasgow side can beat Edinburgh.

What has happened to George Horne?? For a while the most exciting 9 in the game.

Glasgow need an overhaul. I do appreciate what Harley and Wilson have done for the club, but Harley isn't a lock (any more than Bradbury!) and Wilson is a spent force (to the extent he was ever a force). I take no pleasure in this, but the decline of Glasgow is a worry for Scottish Rugby.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 27 Apr 2021, 8:11 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW wrote:Glasgow haven't come a terrible team overnight so I wouldn't write them off in the 1872. If anything they're more likely to win now as they're going to have a beasting in training over the next few weeks to fire them up.

This is my worry. If Saints can beat the invincible Gers, then this dreadful Glasgow side can beat Edinburgh.

What has happened to George Horne?? For a while the most exciting 9 in the game.

Glasgow need an overhaul. I do appreciate what Harley and Wilson have done for the club, but Harley isn't a lock (any more than Bradbury!) and Wilson is a spent force (to the extent he was ever a force). I take no pleasure in this, but the decline of Glasgow is a worry for Scottish Rugby.

Wilson seemed pretty chuffed to get his 50th cap against France, he probably knew that was the last one he'll ever have for Scotland. Darge moving to Glasgow will hopefully bolster the Glasgow backrow FES and then the very exciting prospect of McKay and Domingo Miotti joining up from Super Rugby will further enhance that Glasgow backline.

Price, Miotti, Jones, Johnson, McDowall, McKay, Forbes. that's an exciting backline and there's other players who can slot in to any of those positions, such as Steyn, Seymour, Mclean etc

Caleb Korteweg was praising the Super 6 not so long ago “It’s been awesome – a really good standard of rugby, real physical and every game is just so tight that there is no room to relax,”. Now he's involved with Glasgow so hopefully the Super 6 will begin to pay dividends eventually too.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 27 Apr 2021, 8:36 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Completely agree - Harley, Wilson, Fusaro (already gone) and co were great club servants but the who bucket needs to be emptied now and we start again. All of these guys are at the end of their warranty life. Ryan Wilson needs to stick to flirty interviews with that blonde lady on the Ruck podcast and sledging England players.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 27 Apr 2021, 2:24 pm

Wilson, Gordon, M Fagerson, Nakarawa, Ioane, Fusaro, Lokotui

Are the back row players listed this season. Nakarwaw, Ioane and Fusaro won't be troubling the selectors next season. We are adding Darge, Miller and Dempsey. Is this an upgrade?

Naknaks has been a real waste of money. His time in France seems to have robbed him of the joie de joue he once had in abundance. He returned unfit and uninterested and never got better.

Ioane was a short term loan, a rugby gamble, but he hasn't done enough to convince that he was any better, or even close to, Lewis Wynne or Matt Smith.

Chris Fusaro will be sadly missed. A classy open side and a true Warrior.

So; Batman, Fagerson, Mullet, Jack Dempsey, Miller, Darge. With Big Bad in case of emergencies. Hopefully Gregor Brown will recover fully from his injury as he looked very promising.

If you take away Batman and Big Bad, time is holding them ever closer in its smothering embrace, and Fagerson is away with Scotland for a chunk of the season.. I still think we're pinning a lot on Dempsey-Darge-Miller working out as a cohesive unit. I wouldn't keep Lokotui; lots of heart but not really enough about him. I think we're still short of a big nasty 6/8.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 27 Apr 2021, 2:55 pm

jimbopip wrote:Wilson, Gordon, M Fagerson, Nakarawa, Ioane, Fusaro, Lokotui

Are the back row players listed this season. Nakarwaw, Ioane and Fusaro won't be troubling the selectors next season. We are adding Darge, Miller and Dempsey. Is this an upgrade?

Naknaks has been a real waste of money. His time in France seems to have robbed him of the joie de joue he once had in abundance. He returned unfit and uninterested and never got better.

Ioane was a short term loan, a rugby gamble, but he hasn't done enough to convince that he was any better, or even close to, Lewis Wynne or Matt Smith.

So; Batman, Fagerson, Mullet, Jack Dempsey, Miller, Darge. With Big Bad in case of emergencies. Hopefully Gregor Brown will recover fully from his injury as he looked very promising.

If you take away Batman and Big Bad, time is holding them ever closer in its smothering embrace, and Fagerson is away with Scotland for a chunk of the season.. I still think we're pinning a lot on Dempsey-Darge-Miller working out as a cohesive unit. I wouldn't keep Lokotui; lots of heart but not really enough about him. I think we're still short of a big nasty 6/8.

I think you're right Jim, it's a much better blend for next season, but unless Flockhart comes back we're still light.

6. Dempsey/Wilson/Brown
7. Gordon/Darge
8. Fagerson/Miller

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 27 Apr 2021, 4:50 pm

The decision making around playing time for Wynne, M Smith and Flockhart. All three showed potential and should have been ready made replacements for Harley, Fusaro and Wilson as they went into the sunset.

Instead we have circled around the drain signing Ioane and Lokotui.

The quality should be much improved next season with Brown hopefully a year older and stronger as well as having Darge. Wilson started the season well before fading (likely due to exhaustion at trying to carry Glasgow mentally and physically). Brown, Darge and Miller should allow for more rotation and take some strain off Wilson (and stop Harley from playing so much in the backrow).

T Marshall at Newcastle is a youngster with potential. Wynne may be available. Flockhart could be convinced to come back. Signing journeyman NSQ's for a season or two is not adding anything at the minute.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 27 Apr 2021, 10:20 pm

EST wrote:

I think you're right Jim, it's a much better blend for next season, but unless Flockhart comes back we're still light.

6. Dempsey/Wilson/Brown
7. Gordon/Darge
8. Fagerson/Miller

Ooft that still looks pretty light in quality and depth, although Fagerson is likely the only one to be away with Scotland.

Worth saying Dempsey hasn't played for the Waratahs the last 3 games - don't know if he's injured or just not getting picked. He looks a decent player but he's still got a lot of developing to do, so don't pin all your hopes on him!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Tue 27 Apr 2021, 10:39 pm

Got to say that result has been coming for a while.

Have heard a rumbling or two that D Wilson's man management skillz are lacking a bit of polish.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 28 Apr 2021, 9:42 am

RDW wrote:
EST wrote:

6. Dempsey/Wilson/Brown
7. Gordon/Darge
8. Fagerson/Miller

Ooft that still looks pretty light in quality and depth, although Fagerson is likely the only one to be away with Scotland.

Worth saying Dempsey hasn't played for the Waratahs the last 3 games - don't know if he's injured or just not getting picked. He looks a decent player but he's still got a lot of developing to do, so don't pin all your hopes on him!

There is still Harley to add to that mix, but as he gets older I think he will increasingly be viewed as a lock...where we are also a bit short, which is why I didn't include him. The only other BR player is an academy lad called Rory Jackson - I have no idea how highly rated he is as a player, or even what position he plays.

I agree on the Dempsey situation, he has a pretty bad injury record from what I understand - we really need him to be a constant in our team next season, which is a bit of a gamble.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 28 Apr 2021, 11:25 am

Tommy S calls it a day and officially retires.

No great surprise really but what a career he has had with the Warriors and  Scotland. We will certainly miss him.

First of a few stalwarts to move on this season I imagine.

https://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/seymour-retires-from-professional-rugby

Last edited by BigGee on Wed 28 Apr 2021, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 21  Next