The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England - Summer Tour

+35
propdavid_london
Cyril
Rugby Fan
MichaelT
flyhalffactory
Armchairexpert
hugehandoff
Poorfour
king_carlos
Sharkey06
BigGee
cb
BigTrevsbigmac
BamBam
formerly known as Sam
yappysnap
Margin_Walker
WELL-PAST-IT
LordDowlais
Sgt_Pooly
Gooseberry
whatahitson
majesticimperialman
Yoda
TightHEAD
Heaf
nlpnlp
Mr Bounce
Cumbrian
Soul Requiem
rosbif
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
doctor_grey
Geordie
39 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 9 Empty England - Summer Tour

Post by Geordie Thu 25 Mar 2021, 3:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

After an "interesting" 6n...and with the Lions tour possibly going ahead, England have a chance to send a young Saxons side full of talent on the Summer tour to USA and Canada (if Covid permits)

They have 4 games pencilled in...

12th June; England v Barbarians (Suggestions it wont go ahead)

10th July; Scotland v England
17th July; USA v England
24th July; Canada v England

So looking to the future and the AI's who would you take on the tour? Assuming its 32/33 squad size.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 9 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 12 May 2021, 3:36 pm

O'Flaherty is in that bracket with Josh Basset. Good club man.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 12 May 2021, 4:16 pm

I really rate O'Flaherty. He's absolutely rapid, has great core skills and has been in very good form for a prolonged period. I'd put him closer to the David Strettle bracket than Josh Bassett personally.

Radwan and Hassell-Collins are players I'd prefer to get chances ahead of him though. Both look extremely talented. Possibly Sleightholme as well who looks a classy winger in the making.

I'd also really like to see Jack Nowell back in the set-up if fit. He's been a big loss. Very few weaknesses to his game and strengths that others don't have. When our attack is functioning at it's best I'd probably prefer the pace of May and Watson starting on the wings but he's a very useful player for the bench and when things aren't quite clicking given he locks down one wing defensively and persistently gets over the gain line around the fringes with clever running lines and footwork. The sort of player that's an absolute pain in the rear for the opposition.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 12 May 2021, 4:42 pm

England A vs Scotland A (Not selecting probable Prem semi-finalists)

1.Obano 2.McGuigan 3.Heyes 4.Martin 5.Ribbans 6.T Hill 7.Ludlam 8.Barbeary
9.Mitchell 10.Ford 11.Radwan 12.Lawrence 13.Dingwall 14.Odogwu 15.Steward

16.Capon 17.Rodd 18.Hill 19.Ewels 20.T Willis 21.Spencer 22.de Glanville 23.Hassell-Collins

England vs USA

1.Genge 2.Dunn 3.Stuart 4.Ribbans 5.Ewels 6.Earl 7.Underhill 8.Dombrandt
9.Spencer 10.Smith 11.Nowell 12.Slade 13.Marchant 14.Hassell-Collins 15.Malins

16.McGuigan 17.Obano 18.Heyes 19.Martin 20.Ludlam 21.Randall 22.Ford 23.Odogwu

England vs Canada

1.Obano 2.Dunn 3.Stuart 4.Martin 5.Ewels 6.Hill 7.Ludlam 8.Vunipola
9.Randall 10.Ford 11.Nowell 12.Lawrence 13.Odogwu 14.Radwan 15.Steward

16.McGuigan 17.Genge 18.Heyes 19.Ribbans 20.Earl 21.Spencer 22.Smith 23.Marchant

I'd be delighted with that sort of mix. Tons of young talent in there. Both players who have been capped but not had much opportunity and some uncapped players who's form and talent is worth looking at.

king_carlos

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 May 2021, 10:24 pm

I like them KC

2 things standout there..

Ludlum over Earl in most cases?
Billy V in there? For experience?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 12 May 2021, 10:48 pm

And when is the squad likely to be announced?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 13 May 2021, 12:37 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:I like them KC

2 things standout there..

Ludlum over Earl in most cases?
Billy V in there? For experience?  

Earl will at least be in the play-offs with Bristol the week before the Scotland A game and quite possibly in the final on that weekend so left him out there. Then gave him one start and one bench in the other two to rotate guys around.

I personally wouldn't pick Billy but I think Jones will so had him there anyway for sake of showing that I don't think picking the guys that missed out on the Lions would be the worst thing so long as they are used reasonably rather than picking them together in every game possible.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 13 May 2021, 8:27 am

I forgot about Earl in the Finals yes....

I agree on the use of senior players if they are managing younger / new guys...your right.

I personally wouldnt have Billy in the squad...however...if it was to "babysit / manage" two very raw flankers then i can see the benefit

Ie:
6 Ted HIll
7 Ben Curry
8 Billy

i could see the advantage of playing Billy.
Likewise Slade in the midfield...

10 Smith
12 Slade
13 Lawrence / Marchant

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 13 May 2021, 2:18 pm

I would argue that a fit and firing Ben Curry and TedHill will not need "babysitting". Both have captained sides either at Premiership or U20 level and are cracking players.

Ben Curry is back from injury on Friday against Bath. I think if he's fit again he will be in the squad. Like his brother, he's class.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 13 May 2021, 2:23 pm

Yes but its still another step up. Some experience around them isnt going to hurt...is it?

Yes i noticed Ben Curry is back for sale...perfect timing.

PS as ive said...id happily see..

6 T.Hill
7 B.Curry
8 Dombrandt

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 13 May 2021, 3:14 pm

I just think you learn more about the youngsters by seeing if they can outplay established players than outplay other unknown entities. If Hill shared a back row with Vunipola for instance and out carried him that would tell us something.

I'm probably a broken record but thrown together sides, whilst fun, usually finish the game leaving a feeling of, "did we learn anything we didn't already know?"

In theory it can give players that usually wouldn't be seen a shop window but it rarely seems to happen.

I used to like the admittedly convoluted idea of having a Baabaas vs Premiership EQP XV at the end of each season. The RPA run players player of the season awards. I'd love them each season to have all the RPA members who played in the Premiership that season to name their players player XV from opponents, i.e. players only allowed to elect players from other clubs.

From that you pool votes in each position to get a 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice, etc according to players that have to face these guys. Then you take the the most voted for EQP player that's available in each position plus next best for necessary bench cover and form an XV to play the Baabaas. They could be coached by a Premiership coach voted for by the players, perhaps the England U20s coach or even one of the assistants in the England set-up.

If we're to have a thrown together XV to give players that perform without seeming to get a look in another shop window then I'd much prefer that sort of thing whereby it's a completely different method of selection coming up with the side picked.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 13 May 2021, 3:27 pm

Is it Lawrence, Atkinson, O'Connor, Odogwu or another who gets to sit and watch Slade play Canada? I do get the integration of players into the side and have called for it myself to give them the best chance. In these games however it will be comfortable. It's a chance for them all to be involved, no need to hold someones hand against this lot.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 13 May 2021, 3:37 pm

Atkinson's nowhere near ready, though very talented. Even playing both Ford and Slade in the hypotheticals above above we'd still see Lawrence, Odogwu, Marchant and Dingwall (replace one with O'Connor if wanted!) start games in the centre. So not exactly short of opportunity to be fair!

It's less worrying about result or even team performance but simply wanting a benchmark there for the new guys to exceed. I'm not too interested in seeing Ted Hill smash a few guys against Canada for instance, I am however very interested in whether he could outplay Billy in that regard in the same match.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 13 May 2021, 3:44 pm

Sorry not that Atkinson. Mark, prob too old for v long term but at 31 could hold the fort better than Slade at 12. Like Hill at Sale, a more solid player who if we're looking for a different sort of 12 is an outside shout.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 13 May 2021, 5:39 pm

From the standpoint of what we will learn, keep in mind the last time we saw USA or Canada they seemed like decent level Premiership sides. So to put a team with too much top level experience out there which will put 8-10 tries on them makes little sense to me. A couple of experienced guys, maximum, I think.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Thu 13 May 2021, 6:07 pm

I think there is a backbone of fringe England players such as Genge, Stuart, Ewels. Ludham in the pack with Hill, Martin, Dunn, and Obano also capped to provide some experience, so Vunipola may not be required.

The backs are perhaps a bit more callow - hence Slade would be a good choice.  I would not go for Ford just to have the chance to look at Smith and others.

cb

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Thu 13 May 2021, 6:28 pm

If Eddie doesn't pick Billy at 8 it will be interesting to see who does get the nod.  He has looked at Dombrandt and wasn't presumably that impressed - he has the physicallity, but likes to run into space rather than the opposition unlike Billy.  There don't seem to be that many other English qualified candidates taking Simmonds, Mercer and presumably Harrison out of the equation.  Playing Earl there smacks of picking someone who is simply keeping the shirt warm for Billy until next season rather than looking at a real pospect - particularly as Earl has looked out of sorts this season.  Alfie Barbeary would be a real left field but interesting choice.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by cb Thu 13 May 2021, 7:41 pm

I would presume Dombrandt will get a go as I think he has improved this season Other than perhaps Hughes, BVP does not really have an equal but we could play differently!

Several other back-rowers can play 8 but none do it on a full time basis.

cb

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 13 May 2021, 8:40 pm

As an outside bet Tom Willis might be worth a look but he's not at the heady heights of his brother.

I think Dombrandt's a shoe-in at 8. At least he should be. Intelligent, pacy, good hands, brutal when necessary. I think he's a far more complete player than Billy at Premiership level. I would love to see him bring that to the International scene. Plus he's already been in the expanded squad so knows what's expected of him.

If Ben Curry stays fit I would love to see him get capped. Flanker is a position that we're well stocked in. You could make several back rows from various players who are English qualified and there'd barely be a bad back row between them. It's a good position to be in.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 14 May 2021, 8:10 am

i think he looked at Dombrandt and felt there were areas to work on like Workrate and fitness etc...and probably gave him clear instructions.

I believe he has clearly worked on those areas...and i think he should be starting 8 now for these games. .

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 14 May 2021, 8:12 am

And Ben Curry back...perfect timing to get some games in...match fit then take his place at 7 in this side.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 14 May 2021, 8:39 am

i wonder if we'll see

6 B. Curry
7 T. Curry

in one of the AI games?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 14 May 2021, 8:51 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:And Ben Curry back...perfect timing to get some games in...match fit then take his place at 7 in this side.

Would be very harsh on Ludlum who's been very good for Saints. Ben Curry has been out for a while I'm not sure if parachute him straight back in. I know Tom's his twin but doesn't mean they are operating at the same level currently. I really feel for Evans at Quins he was very good for them this season and then that injury is a shocker.

Wonder if Eddie will try and call Tommy Reffell up just to annoy the Welsh...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 14 May 2021, 8:54 am

Sam,

Im not sure Ludlum will be part of the set up for much longer. Hes very much on the peripheral...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 14 May 2021, 8:58 am

GF, he's dropped off the radar a bit but his form has been very good and at 25 still has plenty of time on his side. Ben Curry hasn't been involved in ages but we're not putting it past Eddie to go back and have another look at a player are we. Eddie likes his games and his players to go away and work on what he's told them to.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 14 May 2021, 8:59 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:And Ben Curry back...perfect timing to get some games in...match fit then take his place at 7 in this side.

Would be very harsh on Ludlum who's been very good for Saints. Ben Curry has been out for a while I'm not sure if parachute him straight back in. I know Tom's his twin but doesn't mean they are operating at the same level currently. I really feel for Evans at Quins he was very good for them this season and then that injury is a shocker.

They've brought the A team back for a reason.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 14 May 2021, 9:07 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:GF, he's dropped off the radar a bit but his form has been very good and at 25 still has plenty of time on his side. Ben Curry hasn't been involved in ages but we're not putting it past Eddie to go back and have another look at a player are we. Eddie likes his games and his players to go away and work on what he's told them to.

25 is still young. Im just not sure his ceiling level is as good as say Ben Curry or Earls or a few of the others. Even Ted HIll (though a different role) has a higher potential performance level in the back row (all in my opinion of course)

Someone like Reffell could very well over take him with some good performances, or as you mention Evans at quins before his leg break.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 14 May 2021, 9:13 am

Just to add...theres not really many positions in the seniors up for grabs...

Underhill, T.Curry are in stone.
Billy has been cemented in......but one to watch.
Earl is pretty set in stone as the finisher.
Lawes is Eddies go to man if he has any doubt...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 14 May 2021, 11:05 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

We're in an odd position that England have a lot of high quality flankers and the game is almost "perm two from n", but we're a bit light on credible No 8s. We have a lot of versatile back rowers who can play multiple positions but (with my quartered specs on) Dombrandt is the one who stands out as having the differentiated skill set. His involvement stats are also way up, so I hope Eddie sees this summer as time to give him a proper go.

I really feel for Evans, but I would have been surprised if he'd got an international callup - physically he just doesn't have the power that Eddie seems to demand as the bar for entry. If Sam Simmonds wasn't on the cards then Evans almost certainly wasn't either.

His replacement at Quins is one to watch for the future, though. Jack Kenningham put in 26 tackles last weekend with a completion rate of 95%, a turnover and some hard carries for a 22 year old who (according to the club site) is still under 100kg. It's too early to make much of a judgement, but if he continues to develop at his current rate he will be well worth a look. Apparently the senior players call him "Baby Robshaw", which is not a nickname they'd give out lightly (and he's a lot faster than that would imply).
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 14 May 2021, 11:15 am

I was thinking the other day that there is a class of back row players who in some respects from a similar mold.

These are guys who are around 6' and 16 stone, tend to cover a lot of ground and are good carriers although don't generally have the muscle to make much headway in the congested areas of the field. Hamish Watson, Simmonds, Harrison, Brussow, Hooper, Pocock and Earl are (or were) all the same size and do similar things even if they tend to specialize in different positions.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 14 May 2021, 11:42 am

lostinwales wrote:I was thinking the other day that there is a class of back row players who in some respects from a similar mold.

These are guys who are around 6' and 16 stone, tend to cover a lot of ground and are good carriers although don't generally have the muscle to make much headway in the congested areas of the field. Hamish Watson, Simmonds, Harrison, Brussow, Hooper, Pocock and Earl are (or were) all the same size and do similar things even if they tend to specialize in different positions.

Those guys can work really well at international level as long as there's a real heavy hitter alongside them - Fardy for instance was the unsung hero of the Pooper combo.
Poorfour
Poorfour

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 14 May 2021, 12:12 pm

Poorfour wrote:
lostinwales wrote:I was thinking the other day that there is a class of back row players who in some respects from a similar mold.

Those guys can work really well at international level as long as there's a real heavy hitter alongside them - Fardy for instance was the unsung hero of the Pooper combo.

Absolutely. I am a real fan of Fardy for what he did (or tried to do) vs us. Upset for him that he was given an unrealistic task (heavy lifting for all 3 backrow players) then blamed when he couldn't.

I think in turn players like Robshaw and Haskell were particularly good and nullifying those kinds of players.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 14 May 2021, 1:16 pm

I've taken the mick out of the Times having Stuart Barnes and Stephen Jones choose click bait selections but Barnes is apparently wanting Dave Attwood in the side this summer. Without reading it I'm guessing its down to the hand holding. Personally can see Ribbands and Ewels going really well together.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 14 May 2021, 1:23 pm

From the RFU site:

England Rugby coaches Simon Amor and Jason Ryles are stepping down from their roles with the senior men’s team.

Amor and the RFU have mutually decided to part company so that he can explore new opportunities, whilst Ryles has chosen to stay in Australia with his family due to the challenges created by COVID-19.

Amor joined the RFU in 2013 to head up the men’s Sevens programme. During his time, he led Team GB Sevens men to silver at the 2016 Rio Olympics, the England Sevens men to silver at the 2018 World Cup, and bronze for the England men’s and women’s teams at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. He also oversaw the integration of the men’s and women’s programmes and helped both teams qualify for this summer’s Tokyo Olympics.

He moved to work with the men’s XVs as attack coach in 2020 and was part of the England coaching staff that won that year’s Guinness Six Nations and Autumn Nations Cup.

Ryles joined England on a full-time basis as skills coach in October 2020, after winning the NRL Grand Final with Melbourne Storm. He was also a key part of the coaching staff for the successful Autumn Nations Cup campaign.

For England’s summer series of fixtures, the team will be led by head coach Eddie Jones, along with his two assistants John Mitchell and Matt Proudfoot. Jones will oversee the attacking coaching.

Recruitment will begin in parallel for a new attack coach as England work towards the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

"My seven and a half years with the RFU has been a fantastic experience. Leading the England Sevens programme to success, including all we achieved culturally, and bringing together the men’s and women’s game, is something I look back on with real pride," said Amor.

"I will always be grateful to Eddie for providing me with the opportunity to coach my country’s senior XVs team and to further develop my skills amongst some of the best and most experienced players and coaches in the game.

"I take with me some brilliant lifelong memories & friendships. I want to thank everyone at the RFU for their professionalism and support and I look forward to taking all I’ve learned into the next stage of my career."

Ryles said: "Due to the ongoing challenges of the global pandemic, the uncertainly around international travel and in the best interests of my young family, I have made the difficult decision to leave my coaching role with England Rugby.

"I would like to sincerely thank Eddie Jones and the RFU for the opportunity to be part of the organisation and coaching staff, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as part of the England team and have learnt a lot in a short period of time.

"It has been a privilege to have had to the opportunity to work in a world class program and alongside Eddie and some of the best rugby players in England. I wish the team all the best for their upcoming Summer tour."

Eddie Jones said: "I’d like to thank Simon and Jason for their contributions to England.

"I would like to commend Simon’s outstanding diligence and his hard work, and I have no doubt he will find a role soon that suits him perfectly.

"With Jason, the COVID-19 restrictions have proved too difficult for him and his family to overcome, which we fully understand but are disappointed for us and the team.

"They both leave with the best wishes of everyone involved with England and for their future pursuits in the game."

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 14 May 2021, 2:33 pm

Amor is a smart coach. For whatever reason, I don't think he really clicked at England, so it's irrelevant if he decided to walk, or was pushed. If he was pushed, then The RFU would have wanted to keep one of their brightest talents in the fold but they just don't have any attractive positions to offer right now, because they don't have any resources to support much beyond the senior squad.

As he had been with the RFU for a few years, he was probably relatively cheap (which for all we know, may have been a factor in his initial appointment). COVID has tightened finances which might make it a challenge to entice a big name. Still, working with England is rarely bad for the CV.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 14 May 2021, 2:44 pm

I got the impression that Amor was an RFU choice as he was a coach they had developed. The rumours previously were that Eddie wanted Sam Vesty but the RFU couldn't get him out of his Saints contract. He signed an extension last summer so that looks unlikely again.

Be interesting to see what Eddie does with his contacts in the SH off the table what with Covid restrictions and difficulties managing circumstances with families.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Fri 14 May 2021, 4:21 pm

Presumably we can expect some scintilating attacking rugby from England in their summer tests, with a coaching line up on Eddie, John Mitchell and Matt Proudfoot (and yes I am being sarcastic).  It seems to be a real wasted opportunity to look at some new players, when they are unlikely to get any meaningful backs coaching.  It looks like more poor planning by the RFU and England not being able to keep coaching staff on Eddie's watch.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 14 May 2021, 5:20 pm

Budgets are tight, including the food budget. Doubt Billy V. will be picked.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 14 May 2021, 7:13 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I got the impression that Amor was an RFU choice as he was a coach they had developed. The rumours previously were that Eddie wanted Sam Vesty but the RFU couldn't get him out of his Saints contract. He signed an extension last summer so that looks unlikely again.

Be interesting to see what Eddie does with his contacts in the SH off the table what with Covid restrictions and difficulties managing circumstances with families.

They can keep their hands off our Sam, possibly the best attack coach in the Premiership. What we need is a defence coach of the same calibre.

Whats Ashton doing these days................... Run
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 14 May 2021, 7:27 pm

I think Brian Ashton is one of those coaches who's reputation was damaged rather than enhanced by moving into head coach roles. When you here guys talk about him as backs/attack/assistant coach he has an incredible reputation.

A bit like Andy Robinson in that regard. Had Robinson not become England and latterly Scotland head coach he'd probably have a better reputation from being assistant and forwards coach when England won the RWC.

Mike Ford is perhaps another. During a time when England were dire they had a good defensive record and Ford had a top reputation as a defence coach in that era when rugby league coaches were having a big impact on defence in union.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 14 May 2021, 7:58 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:I got the impression that Amor was an RFU choice as he was a coach they had developed. The rumours previously were that Eddie wanted Sam Vesty but the RFU couldn't get him out of his Saints contract. He signed an extension last summer so that looks unlikely again.

They can keep their hands off our Sam, possibly the best attack coach in the Premiership. What we need is a defence coach of the same calibre.

Whats Ashton doing these days................... Run
If you don't mind me saying I would take even a mediocre defence coach. A defence coach of the same calibre as Vesty would be phenomenal.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharkey06 Fri 14 May 2021, 11:10 pm

I think that is a bit unfair as England have put in some defensive masterclass displays under John Mitchell. Attack on the other hand has been pretty much pish for 2 years. Time to send out an SOS for Austin 'the lip' Healy.

Sharkey06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 15 May 2021, 2:00 am

Telegraph says England and Jones miss Borthwick

The departure of Paul Gustard at that seminal moment allowed Jones to freshen up his coaching ticket and the hiring of John Mitchell and Scott Wisemantel, injected both worldly experience and attacking innovation to the England camp.

The pair had a profound impact, taking England to the verge of World Cup glory, with Wisemantel’s influence as a bright and breezy personality capable of pushing the attacking boundaries sorely missed when the Australian decided to return to his homeland after the tournament in Japan.

Amor, who was already on the RFU’s books as England Sevens coach, was given a tough act to follow and it is clear that Wisemantel has been sorely missed over the last 18 months.

Yet while Jones is now in the process of searching for a new attack coach – he will undertake that duty this summer for the two Tests – and as we are approaching the mid-point of the World Cup cycle again – it is an appointment that could define his England tenure.

Jones cannot afford to get this one wrong and it is critical that he recruits not just the coach with the right skill set but also the right personality to bring the best out of the head coach himself.

For if Wisemantel has been missed, those who have worked with Jones insist the biggest loss since the World Cup has been Steve Borthwick, who left to join Leicester Tigers.

Borthwick has been described as the glue behind Jones’ tenure. He was the assistant, the good lieutenant, who was able to transfer the “mercurial genius” and knowledge and brain-storming chaos of Jones into something that works on the training pitch.

It was an understated role but it is only now that he has gone that the significance of his influence has become evident.

England would no doubt benefit from another Wisemantel, but in the mission to reignite their form in the countdown to France 2023, what they desperately need is another Borthwick.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2021/05/14/england-part-ways-assistant-coaches-simon-amor-jason-ryles-worst/

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 15 May 2021, 11:44 am

https://www.thexv.rugby/2021/05/14/taking-the-next-step/

Nice piece on Dombrandt. Mitchell has been in touch with him so bar injury or suspension fingers crossed we'll see him and Smith this summer.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 15 May 2021, 9:04 pm

Recommend if you can to watch Marler 's doc Big Boys Dont Cry. Really great programme.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 15 May 2021, 9:55 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Telegraph says England and Jones miss Borthwick

The departure of Paul Gustard at that seminal moment allowed Jones to freshen up his coaching ticket and the hiring of John Mitchell and Scott Wisemantel, injected both worldly experience and attacking innovation to the England camp.

The pair had a profound impact, taking England to the verge of World Cup glory, with Wisemantel’s influence as a bright and breezy personality capable of pushing the attacking boundaries sorely missed when the Australian decided to return to his homeland after the tournament in Japan.

Amor, who was already on the RFU’s books as England Sevens coach, was given a tough act to follow and it is clear that Wisemantel has been sorely missed over the last 18 months.

Yet while Jones is now in the process of searching for a new attack coach – he will undertake that duty this summer for the two Tests – and as we are approaching the mid-point of the World Cup cycle again – it is an appointment that could define his England tenure.

Jones cannot afford to get this one wrong and it is critical that he recruits not just the coach with the right skill set but also the right personality to bring the best out of the head coach himself.

For if Wisemantel has been missed, those who have worked with Jones insist the biggest loss since the World Cup has been Steve Borthwick, who left to join Leicester Tigers.

Borthwick has been described as the glue behind Jones’ tenure. He was the assistant, the good lieutenant, who was able to transfer the “mercurial genius” and knowledge and brain-storming chaos of Jones into something that works on the training pitch.

It was an understated role but it is only now that he has gone that the significance of his influence has become evident.

England would no doubt benefit from another Wisemantel, but in the mission to reignite their form in the countdown to France 2023, what they desperately need is another Borthwick.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2021/05/14/england-part-ways-assistant-coaches-simon-amor-jason-ryles-worst/

I never thought I'd say this but they can keep their hands off Borthwick Tigers need him. A different glue is required.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun 16 May 2021, 10:28 am

Thats a first, an East Midland agreement. England, keep your hands off our coaches.

Glue is a fine analogy, at the moment we are held together with superglue, rigid and fast, no allowance for movement away from the EJ structure. What we need is something along the lines of old fashioned rubber solution, keeps things in place but has the flexibility to move when things get too hot or expansion is needed.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 18 May 2021, 9:55 am

In other news Kyle Eastmond has retired following his return to his league roots. Just didn't have the drive any more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57143061

Very much a case of what might of been, especially if he could have mastered enough kicking skills to have played at scrum half as he was too small for an international centre.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 18 May 2021, 9:59 am

So lots of young talent on show last night at KP...

Radwan scored, Penny played well...Mcgugian was outstanding again..Chick played well..Robinson had Ribbans in his pocket all night....

Slightholme played well. Furbank looked good...Ludlum was outstanding in a generally beaten pack...Ribbans was annonymous.

Grayson Junior wasnt at his best...glad Bigger wasnt playing.

Im hugely interested to see what Jones eventual squad will be...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 18 May 2021, 10:00 am

lostinwales wrote:In other news Kyle Eastmond has retired following his return to his league roots. Just didn't have the drive any more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57143061

Very much a case of what might of been, especially if he could have mastered enough kicking skills to have played at scrum half as he was too small for an international centre.

Agree, he should have been a scrum half...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 18 May 2021, 10:40 am

Like a lot of league converts unless you land lucky on your position early doors it can be a hard slog to establish yourself and excel. Anything other than a winger and sometimes you're scrabbling for a comfortable position. Normally you'd have that worked out as you move through the age grades.

Good to see that Radwan is back Geordie. Wasn't sure if he was out for the summer. How'd did he do overall?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next