The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Joyce

5 posters

Go down

Joe Joyce Empty Joe Joyce

Post by Derek Smalls Mon 26 Jul 2021, 10:13 am

I like the big old Juggernaut.
There was praise for his victory over s 40 year old Takam this weekend,  with Bellew going on record as saying that he would be a bad night for Anthony Joshua.
Pros-he has a great chin  and just keeps coming, as his nickname suggests. He has good footwork and really great stamina.He fights behind an accurate jab.
Cons- he gets hit easily, has one gear and that's it,and can look a touch slow.

Personally I can't make my mind up about whether he belongs in the same altitude as the big three.Can't quite rule him  out of contention,wouldn't surprise me at all.But I wonder if he has enough gifts, enough of an arsenal to be a great fighter.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Joe Joyce Empty Re: Joe Joyce

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 26 Jul 2021, 11:13 pm

I would class him as "Good" rather than "great" at the moment. He's what I would describe as an accumulative puncher; although he has big power, it's not concussive like Joshua's or Wilder's, but each thudding shot is hard and painful, and after a few rounds of that, it's very difficult for the opposing fighter.

His chin is great, which is bad news for his opponents: even though he's happy to take one to land one, no matter what's thrown doesn't seem to faze him. Dubois was supposed to be a very hard puncher and he practically walked through Daniel's shots and barely budged.

He's also a massive lump. 265lb is big for any fighter, but he's quite chiselled at the weight and fights to a very specific pace. He's a decent boxer and is a good match for any of the current heavies.

He think he gives most of them issues.

I don't think he's a natural in front of the cameras at interview time which is probably why he's not topping bills for now, as the general public barely know he exists. That said, he seems a really nice guy. Think eventually he gets undone by the top two but would be a handful for everyone else.

Takam is complaining (again) about the fight being stopped prematurely, but if he's being hit with numerous punches and not punching back, that's his look out. "Defend yourself at all times" is what the fighters are told at the beginning of every fight. He was wobbled badly and was under heavy fire. The referee was looking after a fighter not fighting back.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 27 Jul 2021, 9:51 am

I have watched Joe Joyce against DD and against Takam.  For me Joyce is deceptive as a puncher - maybe it is the accumulation of punches - but his jabs to DD didn't look powerful enough to actually fracture DD's face.  Also against Takam he wobbled Takam right at the start of the 6th round with a punch that didn't look to be particularly powerful.  He also wobbled Takam again which was when the referee intervened.  I think it is because Joyce throws punches and jabs that don't look particularly fast, nor seem to contain a "whip" in them - that makes it look like his punches are not that powerful.  They say speed = power, but it doesn't seem to be the case for Joyce.

It looked to me like the referee stopped Takam too early - I would expect for the referee to wait for at least a knock down or when he was clearly in no fit state to defend himself.  But he was definitely wobbled twice and I could sort of see why he might stop it.  When Takam was fighting Joshua I did think that was stopped too early.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 27 Jul 2021, 9:58 am

Force equals mass times acceleration.

I don't think i've heard it said that speed itself equals power, there are numerous power punches throughout history not known as speedsters most notably Rocky Marciano, he had no real speed in his shot but had brute strength for his size.

Soul Requiem

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 27 Jul 2021, 10:00 am

I think timing must also play a part. If Joyce is timing his opponents when they are moving in then there speed can be added to the equation (relative speed of fist to head).
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Tue 27 Jul 2021, 11:39 am

Somebody once remarked on here that when he is in front of the camera he is as natural as a 10 year old boy on Blue Peter.
Remember how Foreman beat Moorer? It seemed that all of a sudden he landed two nice 1-2-s and that was it.But he had been slowly but surely landing jabs that didn't look anything at all, but,yes, accumulatively, they were sagging Moorer. Its apparently as if you were hit repeatedly a thin plank- you don't think it will do any damage to you the first time, but after a hundred,you'll be praying for it to end.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 27 Jul 2021, 2:51 pm

Derek Smalls wrote:Somebody once remarked on here that when he is in front of the camera he is as natural as a 10 year old boy on Blue Peter.
Remember how Foreman beat Moorer? It seemed that all of a sudden he landed two nice 1-2-s and that was it.But he had been slowly but surely landing jabs that didn't look anything at all, but,yes, accumulatively, they were sagging Moorer. Its apparently as if you were hit repeatedly a thin plank- you don't think it will do any damage to you the first time, but after a hundred,you'll be praying for it to end.

I believe that was me Very Happy

Joyce has plenty of potential. I would reckon that every punch he throws hurts because he's accurate, and as stated above, the timing is everything. He is very much a blunt instrument, but an effective one.

As for the "premature stoppage", Takam did not fire back after twenty or so big punches after being wobbled. I think the ref was right.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 28 Jul 2021, 10:03 pm

I'm not sure about Joyce. He looks painfully average on the eye test, and slow even by the standards of a modern 'Super-Heavyweight'. But he could be a bit of a Monzon case, in the sense that he's a fighter short on skills but blessed with a lot of 'attributes' which make up for it. Relatively speaking of course, I'm not predicting a seven-year title reign!

He got hit way too cleanly way too often against Takam, but was obviously unconcerned by that as he pretty much knew he could take his punches, wear him out and eventually force his will on him. But he didn't get flustered when Takam was having his moments of success, kept his focus and concentration, seems to have steady conditioning and as others have noted, good accumulative power.

Personally I think he's easy meat for someone like Fury (assuming Fury ever fights again, which I don't actually think is a given - there's something very much amiss there) and though the temptation might be there to say he could grind down Joshua, I think he's way too hittable and slow for him right now, regardless of how tough and big he is.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down