The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dubois vs Joyce - Is Either Ready for the Other?

+5
Derek Smalls
PPVxHOTTY
Ethan Shaw
Soul Requiem
Mr Bounce
9 posters

Go down

Dubois vs Joyce - Is Either Ready for the Other? Empty Dubois vs Joyce - Is Either Ready for the Other?

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 31 Aug 2020, 10:33 pm

Ignoring the build up to this fight which has reached fever pitch by the promoters, is either fighter ready for the meteoric rise that is being bestowed on them? Joyce is about as comfortable in front of the camera as a 12 year old on Blue Peter, so isn't exactly marketable, although he is a fairly competent boxer with a big man's punch, whereas Dubois is supposed to be the second coming of Mike Tyson if you believe his fans/promoter/everything being written about him.

Joyce has looked ok-ish generally giving a measured beat-down to his opponents whereas Dubois has been laying out the unsurprisingly low-level victims lined up to make him look good. But IS he that good? Personally I don't really see it from either of them. Laying out the likes of Wallisch and Snijders is all very well, and relatively entertaining, but they're nobodies in the grand scheme of things. Jennings and Johnson aside, all were pretty much cannon fodder.

I am yearning for a fight the likes of Lewis vs Mason back in 1991. I think I am going to get something a long way from that.

This fight goes something like this: Dubois goes all in early, throws bombs, catches Joyce, Joyce goes over, gets up, barrage follows, RSF. OR Dubois realises that Joyce is in fact better than he thought and is constantly picked off by Joyce in a scrappy but unanimous decision. I really hope that they actually just go in there and bomb the hell out of each other, but this is unlikely.

Am I the only one unexcited by this?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Dubois vs Joyce - Is Either Ready for the Other? Empty Re: Dubois vs Joyce - Is Either Ready for the Other?

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 01 Sep 2020, 11:35 am

I touched upon this on another thread over the weekend but I tend to feel that the hype is largely because Frank Warren has nothing else to offer in terms of interesting fights so builds up a decent domestic fight as a world title eliminator when it's nothing of the sort.

Dubois is young and has time to improve but i'm not sold on what i've seen from him so far, beating up absolute nobodies in the hope that the paying public are duped into thinking his opponents relative lack of losses means that they are legitimate fights, from what i've seen it appears to have worked to some extent with many believing he has the beating of AJ. Such an opinion is frankly ridiculous, were he DD to fight White for instance he'd get blown away in double quick time, he hits hard but is also so open to hit for anyone willing to throw.

Joyce I do quite like the look of but at 34 he doesn't have a lot of scope for improvement, puts his punches together well and has a fairly tight defence. His record isn't great by any stretch but he's mixed with some decent fighters like Jennings who is no mug.

Joyce by mid to late round stoppage when well clear on the scorecards for me.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Dubois vs Joyce - Is Either Ready for the Other? Empty Re: Dubois vs Joyce - Is Either Ready for the Other?

Post by Guest Wed 02 Sep 2020, 10:20 am

Dubois looks good against the somewhat mediocre opposition he’s faced but Joyce is a very different kettle of fish. He can bang as well. No one knows how Dubois will react when he’s clocked on the chin.
One thing to bear in mind, Dubois is now WBO #2, so if they call an interim title fight with Usyk the Joyce fight might not happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethan Shaw Sun 11 Oct 2020, 11:29 am

It is going to be a great fight! Excited to see it could be a real 50 50

Ethan Shaw

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Mon 12 Oct 2020, 12:06 am

Wow been ages since I came on here, surprised is still about....

As for this fight Joyce wins easy, there is many reasons why, my question to the Dubois pickers is... How does Dubois win if he does not land the big so called shot on Joyce. This to an extent is like Fury v Wilder, Joyce is the Fury in this. Dubois has a jab yes and Joyce people will argue is slower. A trainer once said “I will take the fighter who is quick rather than the one who is fast, speed is in the body, quickness is in the mind’ “Virgil Hunter”. The easy prediction is to say if Joyce takes him deep he wins... Dubois fight against journeyman Kevin Johnson proves he does not have the ring intelligence to stop a decent opponent as he tries with single shots, he don’t have the combinations to get an opponent out of a decent level. Joyce will catch him once and that will be it. I’m going for Joyce rounds 4-6.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Mon 26 Oct 2020, 10:25 pm

I am really excited about this fight and I really hope that it delivers for us. I was very impressed with Joyce at the Olympics and it seemed like a robbery for the gold medal, but since then he's hardly set the world on fire. He is a massive guy but seems to be missing something, I can't put my finger on it but hopefully Chris will come along and give his his tuppence worth. He, oddly enough, does remind me of Gary Mason, in that he just seems a bit off of top level and his punches look like pats when you are not on the receiving end of them.
I shifted my interests towards DD. I must say that I think you're wrong, Mister Bounce, about him not being proven yet. I think that he's a handful for everyone except Fury. I was interested to see what other people felt, and it gee'd me up towards thinking Joyce DID have a chance. He's a cute fighter who is unshowy compared to a big clubber such as DD. I really hope that his ringmanship and experience will help make it competitive!
Cheers
andy
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 26 Oct 2020, 10:52 pm

Tony Yoka comprehensively beat Joyce in Rio it has to be said, a case cant be made for a reversal.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 27 Oct 2020, 11:24 am

Neither of them look special to me....But not sure you need to be these days to be a Champion.

Think Dubois looks a bit more compact and I'd have him pickem with Whyte...He will beat Joyce handily.

But Fury is a World apart though AJ's chin always gives guys like him a chance.

Dubois stoppage round 6.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Thu 29 Oct 2020, 10:48 pm

I'm not so sure that he beats him in a one sided contest. I think Joyce will be able to box clever but get caught and that's it. I think it could go similar to Joshua /Povetkin.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Thu 29 Oct 2020, 10:54 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Tony Yoka comprehensively beat Joyce in Rio it has to be said, a case cant be made for a reversal.
Sorry Soul, Requiem, I think he threw most of the punches and was the outright aggressor. Yoka brought nothing to the table as far as I can see. Watching it again on YouTube and it appears that a lot of people thought the same.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 30 Oct 2020, 10:15 am

Derek Smalls wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:Tony Yoka comprehensively beat Joyce in Rio it has to be said, a case cant be made for a reversal.
Sorry Soul, Requiem, I think he threw most of the punches and was the outright aggressor. Yoka brought nothing to the table as far as I can see. Watching it again on YouTube and it appears that a lot of people thought the same.

Brought nothing except being the one who was actually landing?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Mon 23 Nov 2020, 12:23 am

Right, this fight is coming up really soon. Having thought about it, my money's on Joyce taking a decision over 12 rounds. I suspect the older fighter may expose him in the manner of Carl Thompson /Haye. Joyce is not the heaviest hitter so I can't give him a kayo.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Nov 2020, 5:10 pm

Slugger v stiff...

Dubois comfortably inside the distance..

There's Joshua, Fury and a guy that could get lucky in Wilder..

Then there is the second division in Usyk who can handle small Heavies and stiffs but not the above two....Wilder probably catches him eventually.

Then Division 3.....Dubois, Whyte, Povetkin, Pulev, Chisora.

Division 4....Joyce..Price.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 26 Nov 2020, 3:54 pm

Joyce is a much better boxer than you give him credit for Trussy. You don't come within a gnat's hair of an Olympic Gold if you're rubbish. He's had the (marginally) better opposition as well.

I think there's been too much hype written about Dubois. He's been bowling people over because they've been rubbish, not because they're much cop. Joyce will be a good test for him, but if Joe can take Daniel's big shots or easily avoid them, Dubois will get outboxed.

I think it will all depend on what each fighter's punch resistance is like. Daniel's the "Lights Out" power puncher, whilst Joe's the accumulative puncher. It could be exciting if they both go for it.

Like I said above, if Joyce goes down early, there's only one winner in Dubois, but the longer it goes, the more it favours Joyce. Of course, boxing rarely goes like I predict - so that'll be a Joyce win KO 1 or a Dubois pts win boxing

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 Nov 2020, 6:52 pm

Audley Harrison and Povetkin is enough rebuttal for that line of opinion...Having seen Tony Yoka I can rule out him becoming the next Ali.

But if you see something in Joyce fair enough...I picked Biggs to beat Tyson many years ago.

So what do I know....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 26 Nov 2020, 8:30 pm

Fair enough. I just hope it turns into a proper war - it's rare that you get a heavyweight clash where caution is thrown to the wind and they go at it like a pair of stags.

I can dream I guess Dubois vs Joyce - Is Either Ready for the Other? 3933776953

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 28 Nov 2020, 11:39 pm

Joyce stops Dubois by jabbing his eye to pieces until Dubois had nothing left in the 10th.

Well done Juggernaut Joe - Daniel can go again.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Nov 2020, 11:41 pm

Skills pay the bills for Joyce.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 28 Nov 2020, 11:47 pm

Not many who didn't see that coming. Sometimes just a feel.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Sun 29 Nov 2020, 12:36 am

Yes,Joyce a three to one outsider, most of us tipped him though, so we must know a thing or two... Even Truss will have to reconsider his assessment 😉
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 29 Nov 2020, 1:53 am

Dubois tried to get Joyce out of the contest early, ran out of stamina and got picked to pieces with his opponent's jab. Joyce has either got a heck of a good chin, or Dubois doesn't have as much power as thought by the pundits.

Fun fight to watch, but not a lot of defensive skill on show.

Enjoyed BT Sport's Rawling constantly apologising for the bad language...at 23:00 in the middle of a fist fight.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 29 Nov 2020, 7:03 am

Happy to admit Joyce was better than I thought but he was still a stand up...No head movement Euro Heavy like the old Anders Eklund types...

Dubois like a lot of undefeated fighters....(Robin Blake....Engels Pedroza...Tyrone Crawley.. even Bruno) You only see them for real against people that hit back and unfortunately he looked like Hearn's Babic for much of the fight.

Quit too which isn't good.

Don't really rate the ponderous Joyce but I overrated Dubois for sure.

The 10 loss Chisora beats them both.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 29 Nov 2020, 11:53 am

I have to agree that Joyce doesn't look all that great Truss, but he stuck to his game plan and jabbed the eye until it closed up. Amusing for me in that I wanted a fight like Lewis - Mason, and I got something that turned out in a way a bit like it, where the British Champ lost by TKO with a closed eye that had been jabbed to hell.

I disagree that Chisora beats Joyce though any talk of challenging for a world title is a bit too far fetched for me.

Dubois can come again, but he'll have to rebuild for a while. His invincibility aura has gone and he'll always have that "he quit" stigma hanging over him. Hope there's no lasting damage.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 29 Nov 2020, 12:53 pm

I agree with Haye...Frampton and Spencer Fearon that the fact he quit like that was poor...

What do you mean come again ??

If Joyce isn't world level then what...Dubois fighting Dave Allen and Hughie Fury ??

We all know Dave Allen's personality traits mean he will be back next year..

Loves the attention too much.

By the way some Moron had it 8-1 to Dubois.

Boxing has to sort this scoring out.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 29 Nov 2020, 1:45 pm

I think the ones who accused him of quitting can be given the benefit of the doubt, they thought it was just a swelling, could be a career ender

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 29 Nov 2020, 2:49 pm

Elsewhere I was criticised for saying the medical doctor / officials should have stopped the fight earlier and certainly before the tenth round. My comment got a little more sympathy when it was reported that Daniel Dubois had been taken to hospital with a suspected eye socket fracture and eye damage. I haven't yet found out anything more than that.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 29 Nov 2020, 3:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I agree with Haye...Frampton and Spencer Fearon that the fact he quit like that was poor...

What do you mean come again ??

If Joyce isn't world level then what...Dubois fighting Dave Allen and Hughie Fury ??

Some fighters learn a lot from a defeat. David Haye's loss to Carl Thompson made him as a fighter at crusierweight. All his tactics in that fight were wrong and the same probably goes for Dubois in this - he's only 23 and can learn from his defeat - not everyone falls over when they get hit by a big punch, and Dubois should have had a plan B & C. He didn't. It's the usual thing though - one loss and you're on the scrap heap. There are plenty of boxers who retire with at least 1 "L" on their record - it's no shame to do that.

I think that Dubois can probably earn himself a British or European strap in the future, and maybe 5 or 6 years in the future with a lot more experience, he could rise up the world rankings once more. Last night's fight is a good example of why quick and easy 1 or 2 round blowouts over limited opposition mean little to anyone other than hype generators and tabloid readers.

Mr Bounce

Derek Smalls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 29 Nov 2020, 3:55 pm

Eye socket damage in the heavyweights, not good

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Sun 29 Nov 2020, 6:52 pm

Mr Bounce yeah I mentioned Haye vs The Cat earlier in the thread, as I thought we might see something similar play out
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 30 Nov 2020, 2:24 am

The Athletic wrote:Daniel Dubois suffered a broken orbital socket and nerve damage to his left eye during his defeat by Joe Joyce on Saturday night ...

Dubois’ left eye was badly swollen by the middle rounds, eventually closing altogether.

And in the 10th another accurate jab on Dubois’ injured eye saw the 23-year-old dramatically sink to the canvas on one knee.

Dubois was immediately transported to Moorfields Eye Hospital after the fight and The Athletic understands he suffered a broken orbital socket and nerve damage to his left eye.

Dubois spent the night at Moorfields and was released early on Sunday morning. He is scheduled to see a specialist on Monday to decide whether or not his injury requires surgery.

The same has been reported in The Times.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 30 Nov 2020, 10:53 am

Once the eye socket gone then the whole structure of the face can become weakened. Like a building. Do you want to be taking big, monster shots on that? Very sad for the kid. As for Joe, I’m on the bandwagon for him to shock the world and pick up a title

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Fri 01 Oct 2021, 6:55 pm

Important Update....!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/58762699
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 02 Oct 2021, 4:58 pm

Derek Smalls wrote:

Important Update....!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/58762699

I have to admit that I wasn't convinced by that result - I thought that Joyce had done more than enough at the time. It's actually quite refreshing to see boxing being taken to task on this. Be interesting if they reverse the decision.

Mr Bounce

Derek Smalls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down