The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

+29
LeinsterFan4life
lostinwales
RDW
Heaf
Tattie Scones RRN
Mcsweens
Mad for Chelsea
sensisball
RiscaGame
Tramptastic
Margin_Walker
No 7&1/2
Anglobraveheart
EWT Spoons
demosthenes
Old Man
EST
tigertattie
TJ
Highland Shaun
Geordie
bsando
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigGee
jimbopip
George Carlin
33 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 11 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by George Carlin Mon 23 Aug 2021, 10:59 am

First topic message reminder :

For those Scottish and Scottish-rugby interested posters who just cannot seem to shut the feic up about it.

26,000 posts of abject nonsense and incorrect usage of the quote function (and counting).

We should be proud. king
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:11 pm

Glasgow

Bhatti - Turner - Zander (Kebble - Matthews - Pieretto)
Cummings - Gray (McDonald - Harley)
M Fagerson - Dempsey - Darge (Gordon)

Price - Thompson (Horne - Weir)
Johnson - Tuipulotu
Forbes - McKay - Steyn

Pretty much the same side with Kebble/Bhatti swapping and McDonald and Gordon in for Bean and Miller on the bench.

Exeter
Hepburn - Cowan-Dickie - Nixon (Mooon - Yeandle - Schnickerling)
Gray - Hill (Armand)
Ewers - Simmonds - Skinner (Kirsten)

J Maunder - J Simmonds (S Maunder - H Skinner)
Whitten - Slade
O'Flaherty - Hogg - Nowell (Hendrickson)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:15 pm

Exeter have picked a BIG back 5 of the pack and clearly intend to bully us in open play and blow us off the ball at the breakdown. We have a big front 5 with a Scotland front-row so we should go after them in the scrum and force the big backrow to stay down.

It will be a good contest. If we can avoid leaking easy penalties and field position, we have a shot. The discipline can fall apart a bit in the middle of the park sometimes and it gifts the big teams too many opportunities in and around our 22.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:21 pm

Not a bad looking team. 6-2 split again and still no Titman.

I think McDonald is probably a bit more mobile than Bean and Chuckles was very vocal about the subs not upping the pace in the last 20 against the Rochelllaise.
Wee Horne is surely due a good performance.
I think it should be a Chiefs win, but I also have a sneaky feeling that a hard fought game against a top French side is better preparation than a stroll against Montpellier Thirds. Fingers Crossed

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 17 Dec 2021, 8:23 pm

Pretty week bench again - this will continue to hold Glasgow back.

Gray brothers going head to head for the first time!

Good to see Huw Jones getting a continued run of starts - he's even retained his place with Marchant returning, whose on the wing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 18 Dec 2021, 12:34 pm

https://www.ruck.co.uk/list-five-senior-exeter-chiefs-players-set-for-exit-in-2022/5/

Some interesting speculation about the Scottish players at Exeter

Hoggy to Racing?

Skinner to Edinburgh - well we kind of know that one

JG back to Glasgow?

It does seem the big English clubs are struggling to keep their stars under the new salary cap and you can understand why players like Hoggy, coming towards the end of their careers, would be unwilling to take a substantial Salary cut.

Johnny back to Glasgow makes the most sense to me, as we are definitely short of a second row. I would be very happy if that was to happen.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 18 Dec 2021, 5:31 pm

Complete pea soup at Scotstoun

This is going to be an interesting game in these conditions!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 18 Dec 2021, 5:56 pm

Glasgow playing by far the better rugby so far, but only a 3 pt lead to show for it.

The players look like they are seeing the ball on the pitch a lot better than we are on the tv, not a single high ball dropped so far

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 18 Dec 2021, 6:11 pm

Great defensive set from Glasgow keeps Exeter out from a prolonged phase on their line

Not looking like a high scoring game this one!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 18 Dec 2021, 7:20 pm

The mighty Glasgow Warriors see Exeter off 22-7

That scoreline does not do the performance justice, we played them off the park!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 18 Dec 2021, 7:37 pm

Excellent display by Glasgow, from what I could see of it Very Happy

Forwards fronted up superbly, led by the consistently excellent Dempsey. That backrow looks to have a really nice balance to it. Both Fagersons had fine games, and Kebble off the bench made mincemeat of the Exeter replacement TH. Then Price and Thompson controlled the game well, Tuipulotu had another excellent game too. In fact I don't think anyone from Glasgow had a bad game at all TBH.

Glasgow's try at the death definitely made the scoreline a more accurate reflection of the game. There was a stat shown just before Exeter's try I think which showed Glasgow making 400 meters to Exeter's 130. If there is a criticism of Glasgow today, it's probably that they were a bit over-eager and inaccurate in the red zone, but I'll take a 22-7 win against Exeter any day of the week.

One of the key moments was that defensive set in the last five minutes of the first half. So often you see Exeter score from those, but a big hit on Hill, followed by another dominant tackle on Cowan-Dickie forced the error. Then a scrum penalty, and all pressure relieved.

Crowd was superb too. Possibly in the knowledge that this could well be the last time they get to a live game for a bit...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 18 Dec 2021, 7:44 pm

I was following it on the warriors website.
It read like we were strangling the life out of Exeter, which is no mean feat to achieve.
We just need the consistency to develop now.
Dempsey appeared to be everywhere.
Did Horne get on?

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 18 Dec 2021, 7:49 pm

Anglobraveheart wrote:I was following it on the warriors website.
It read like we were strangling the life out of Exeter, which is no mean feat to achieve.
We just need the consistency to develop now.
Dempsey appeared to be everywhere.
Did Horne get on?

Last 10 mins

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 18 Dec 2021, 7:51 pm

Horne and Weir came on for the last 4 minutes or so, when the game was all but won. Not many touches for either. I think Weir's only touch came from him converting the try with the last kick of the game. Horne made a few passes from the base.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 18 Dec 2021, 8:01 pm

Thanks.
Hogg and JG didn't seem to get any mentions, did they have much involvement?

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 18 Dec 2021, 8:06 pm

Not much TBH.

Hogg had one dangerous looking run early on where he was well tackled, and one nice switch of play in the build-up to Exeter's try (at least I think it was Hogg, hard to tell given conditions Very Happy). Otherwise didn't really manage to get involved, albeit not really his fault as Exeter got munched in the forwards, and Glasgow - sensibly - didn't kick loosely to him.

Gray was largely anonymous. Worked hard in defence as always, but didn't really impose himself on the game. One good carry in that period of pressure before half-time (I think the phase just before Jonny Hill got smashed back). Also involved in one turnover IIRC, but otherwise not a lot to shout about.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 18 Dec 2021, 8:13 pm

Cheers, thank you. Next 2 group games will be interesting.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 18 Dec 2021, 9:00 pm

What a win! Sounds like Glasgow did an Exeter on Exeter

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 18 Dec 2021, 9:23 pm

Weegies clap respect that is a hell of a result!

Dempsey was certainly an inspired signing, he seems to turn up and put in a class performance every week

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 18 Dec 2021, 9:30 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:Weegies clap respect that is a hell of a result!

Dempsey was certainly an inspired signing, he seems to turn up and put in a class performance every week

Let's hope Toonie is having a quiet chat with him!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

TheMildlyFranticLlama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 18 Dec 2021, 10:11 pm

Feck me that fog really was bad - could barely see at times! The bottom left corner of the pitch was just one huge bright light with the floodlight just reflecting off the fog.

It looked much better on the pitch though from the close up cameras so you can see why the game went ahead.

Just not great for the viewing public!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 19 Dec 2021, 9:28 am

If you thought the match was near invisible last night....log on to the Guardian sports pages and look for any mention of the English champions getting whupped royally by some upstart provincials. Nope not a word to be seen.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 20 Dec 2021, 10:58 am

So...the Luvvies are still on Cloud 9 after putting The Salary Cheats to the sword.
The Rugby Club are on a high (perfectly legal, m'lud) after hammering The Covid Cheats in what Tom English descibes as one of the best Scottish club performances in years.
Time for GC to stop malingering and get one of his special match threads done.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 20 Dec 2021, 11:04 am

A bunch of pissed up Exeter morons started their racist chant in the Clubhouse post game rapidly shouted down by a raucous We Are Warriors chant and then some advice to desist in the way only the Weegies know how !

I thought I'd share this for a few reasons;
the tut tutting at "pissed up morons" in a rugby clubhouse Shocked makes me smile.
the indignation at "racist chants" is a sign that we are moving towards an inclusive, civilised society.
the fact that Glasgow fans took a moral stance is commendable.
THE FACT IT WAS WRITTEN BY SCHIZ Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 20 Dec 2021, 11:21 am

I have seen a chiefs fan saying on Twitter they felt intimidated by the Glasgow fans who told them off for singing the tomahawk chop, and justified it by saying they weren't singing the original 'words' but replaced them with Exeeeeteeeeer instead.

Erm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 20 Dec 2021, 12:28 pm

Sam Skinner to Edinburgh confirmed

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 20 Dec 2021, 12:29 pm

Skinner to Edinburgh is a good signing! Sad to see Toolis go but he’s done a great job for Edinburgh and Scotland during his time. A good career move for him going to Japan.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 20 Dec 2021, 12:49 pm

Good signing that, Edinburgh developing some serious strength in the row - Gilchirst, Skinner, Hodgson, Sykes, Young & Phillips (who I can't see getting any minutes anytime soon).

I have the feeling that Sykes could be the standout member of that group - he looks a huge unit.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 20 Dec 2021, 1:27 pm

Skinner is a good player and the lock depth for Edinburgh (assuming none of the SQ's leave) is exceptional.

I do think there will have to be some practicalities sorted out around ensuring game time for everyone. Blair will have to rotate and manage expectations well. Its not like he can play Skinner at 6 regularly to get his best team on the pitch as Ritchie, Boyle and Haining will need time there (let alone deciding what's happening with Kunavula).

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 21 Dec 2021, 3:29 am

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 21 Dec 2021, 10:10 am

Delighted to see Skinner come north.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 22 Dec 2021, 1:33 pm

The chsngjng of the guard continues at Glasgow

Nick Grigg off to Japan in the new year.

Another player, while never a superstar, who has put in a big shift in the warriors shirt.

Best wishes to hom for the future

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 22 Dec 2021, 5:29 pm

Will he be big in Japan?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 22 Dec 2021, 5:34 pm

jimbopip wrote:Will he be big in Japan?

We were waiting for that one Jim!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 22 Dec 2021, 9:35 pm

jimbopip wrote:Will he be big in Japan?

I’m sure he’ll be the sane size as he is here.

Someone had to say it!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 22 Dec 2021, 9:37 pm

Nick Grigg always amazed me at how powerful he was given he's 4ft 7 - I guess that's because he's 4ft 7 wide too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 23 Dec 2021, 9:37 am

It never really made sense that it appeared we made a push to keep Grigg a couple of years ago when Leicester came knocking. His time at international level was up and Rennie was keeping H Jones out the side for him. Fell 5 appearances short of the centurion club which is a shame

Good club player who never quite translated to the international game. His ceiling was limited and he could have been a better playmaker, however he was a good strike runner and earned the right to his 9 caps.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Thu 23 Dec 2021, 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong number of caps)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 23 Dec 2021, 3:15 pm

Also saw that Sean Lineen has left his role as a restructure is undergone by Mallinder. Not the end of the world, though he could have been pushed into a single role rather than the multiple hats he currently has.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 24 Dec 2021, 3:01 pm

Here lads, Hug
Just a postscript to my match with my sons.
Bigson and his beloved ("No I'm not Princess Anna! i just like dressing like her.") came over for an early Chrimbo dinner last night. First he tanked one of my good reds then suggested we open the 10 year old Talisker to wash down the mice pies. Anyhoo, he and Pipetto surpassed themselves by giving me a framed triptych (Yes tigertattie it is a real word. Yes FES the working classes are allowed to use it.) of the three of us on the pitch. It has the date and other stuff beneath the pictures. I was genuinely moved.
THEN I looked closer; Pipetto is captured running very fast, Bigson is frozen for posterity putting in a BIG tackle......I'm stood there standing still. picard

Twas ever thus. Laugh

Here's wishing all of you a Merry Chrimbo, as Tiny Tim said "God bless us every one."

jimbopip

RDW, BigGee and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 24 Dec 2021, 3:58 pm

Well done Jim sounds a lovely present.

It's going to he a quiet xmas in the Gee household, due to me testing positive for the Big C on Tuesday morning and will consequently be in isolation till 28th.

After the initail shock, my wife getting upset the two kids who have flown the nest would not be coming home for xmas, we have all rationalised it.

The kids have got partners famillies to go to, i am not unwell and have in fact had a pretty charmed life over the past 18 months and so a dose of perspective has been applied and xmas postponed till the 28th and i will take a few days off to rest up for the rest of the winter.

I am planning on going back to part time work at the end of march, so one more heave for me.

I even had time to watch Benetton v Zebra this afternoon (which was a sh1t game by any standards). So the weekend can only get better. I was slso meant to be working the 27th, so can now watch the derby fame in real time!

Anyway a nice dinner loams this evening, with a bottle of Primitivo and a tumbler of Hanky Bannister with a large slice of Pannetone to finish. (I don't even bother about putting it out for Santa now)

Time for a bit of reflection and to think about old and new.

Hope everyone has a great xmas and looking forward to the bants continuing on the 27th when i look forward to Edinbugh getting stuffed!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 24 Dec 2021, 4:56 pm

Gee, I hope you're OK. IIRC you caught covid in the first wave. You really need to be more choosy about the patients you spend time with.
The NHS staff are the true heroes of this pandemic.

Oh and the Luvvies will get beaten like a Lambeg drum in July.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 24 Dec 2021, 5:10 pm

jimbopip wrote:Gee, I hope you're OK. IIRC you caught covid in the first wave. You really need to be more choosy about the patients you spend time with.
The NHS staff are the true heroes of this pandemic.

Oh and the Luvvies will get beaten like a Lambeg drum in July.

Well, i may or may not have had it in first wave, none of us were tested back then.

Now we all have routine testing and it is throwing up a lot of positives, even for people who definitely had it first time.

This new variant is a different kettle of fish and is perfectly capable of getting you even if you have had it before.

The good news is that for the healthy vaccinated, it does not seem to be to bad. My symptoms no worse than a heavy head cold, i have gone to work feeling a lot worse.

As for the unvaccinated, lets just say we are all sufferring because of them!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

lostinwales, bsando, jimbopip, TheMildlyFranticLlama and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 24 Dec 2021, 9:23 pm

Merry Christmas from a sunny Sydney! After disappointing weather last year we have a hot hot hot Christmas day today so time to dust off the speedos.

Think Daniel Craig emerging from the water and you'll have a good image of what that looks like...

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 24 Dec 2021, 10:34 pm

RDW wrote:Merry Christmas from a sunny Sydney! After disappointing weather last year we have a hot hot hot Christmas day today so time to dust off the speedos.

Think Daniel Craig emerging from the water and you'll have a good image of what that looks like...

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Oh heck.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 24 Dec 2021, 10:36 pm

And the winner of the Luvviest post of the year , hereafter to be known as the Flounder's Wet Down Under Award, goes to...

jimbopip

RDW, bsando and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 24 Dec 2021, 10:37 pm

Good luck Gee. I had it last Christmas and it was rotten then. Now, I agree that people are more accountable. Merry Christmas to all, no matter whether you drink Buckfast or Bollinger like those typical snobby capital city types.

RiscaGame

RDW, bsando, jimbopip and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 26 Dec 2021, 12:07 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to face Edinburgh at Scotstoun, Monday 27 December, kick-off 7pm, live on Premier Sport 1. You can also follow all the action as it happens on our Live Match Centre at glasgowwarriors.org.

1. Jamie Bhatti (55)
2. George Turner (68)
3. Zander Fagerson (105)
4. Scott Cummings (82)
5. Richie Gray (70)
6. Matt Fagerson (76)
7. Rory Darge (12)
8. Jack Dempsey (8)

9. Ali Price (C) (101)
10. Ross Thompson (23)
11. Cole Forbes (15)
12. Sam Johnson (80)
13. Kyle Steyn (39)
14. Sebastian Cancelliere (2)
15. Josh McKay (3)

16. Johnny Matthews (19)
17. Oli Kebble (64)
18. Murphy Walker (2)
19. Kiran McDonald (40)
20. Thomas Gordon (41)
21. George Horne (73)
22. Duncan Weir (113)
23. Stafford McDowall (30)

Unavailable for selection: Simon Berghan, Fraser Brown, Walter Fifita, Pete Horne, Sean Kennedy, Tom Lambert, Nathan McBeth, Rufus McLean, Ewan McQuillin, Sione Tuipulotu, Ryan Wilson.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 26 Dec 2021, 12:10 pm

Pretty strong team for Glasgow, with surprisingly few rotations.

No nostalgic selections for Grigg or Horne (who is injured anyway) either.

Good to see Cancelliere staert though and Walker and McDowell (who i still think is a very good player) off the bench.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 26 Dec 2021, 12:13 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Glasgow Warriors at Scotstoun in Round 8 of the United Rugby Championship
Monday 27 December, kick-off 7pm – live on Premier Sports

15. Emiliano Boffelli (3)

14. Darcy Graham (44)
13. Mark Bennett (59) VICE-CAPTAIN
12. Cammy Hutchison (7)
11. Ramiro Moyano (3)

10. Jaco van der Walt (75)
9. Henry Pyrgos (57) CAPTAIN

1. Pierre Schoeman (72)
2. Stuart McInally (159) VICE-CAPTAIN
3. Lee-Roy Atalifo (15)
4. Marshall Sykes (14)
5. Jamie Hodgson (30)
6. Luke Crosbie (65)
7. Hamish Watson (122)
8. Magnus Bradbury (101)

Replacements:

16. Dave Cherry (44)
17. Harrison Courtney (1)
18. Angus Williams (6)
19. Pierce Phillips (3)
20. Glen Young*
21. Ben Vellacott (8)
22. Charlie Savala (6)
23. Chris Dean (110)

Unavailable: Connor Boyle, Grant Gilchrist, Sam Grahamslaw, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, Henry Immelman, James Johnstone, Blair Kinghorn, Mesulame Kunavula, James Lang, Viliame Mata, Ben Muncaster, WP Nel, Jamie Ritchie, George Taylor, Ben Toolis, Boan Venter

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 26 Dec 2021, 12:14 pm

Edinburgh look like they have taken a bit of a pasting on the unavailability front. You wonder if they have had a round of covid in the camp?

Decent looking starting side, but not so strong off the bench.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 26 Dec 2021, 2:24 pm

5 points to the rugby club.
No more to be said really. laughing

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next