The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+18
I'm never wrong
lostinwales
pedro
Galted
Duty281
JAS
Pal Joey
Mind the windows Tino.
superflyweight
ralphjohn69
westisbest
McLaren
incontinentia
Soul Requiem
JuliusHMarx
dynamark
beninho
super_realist
22 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Oct 2021, 8:42 am

First topic message reminder :

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Will Alec Baldwin go to jail for the manslaughter of that lady on the filmset under American law or is it considered an industrial accident?
Doesnt seem like he's in trouble just yet. How do you kill someone with a prop gun that fires blanks?

Edit: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prop-gun-using-blanks-still-052227936.html

"As for the question of criminal responsibility, that’s for law enforcement to investigate. But it must be noted that in the vast majority of cases, the person who pulled the trigger wasn’t remotely at fault. They were handed a prop and assured it would function normally — and it didn’t."

Guns dont kill people, rappers do.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Fri 17 Dec 2021, 9:30 am

I’d still bet the house on Shropshire and Chesham and Amersham going back blue in a general election regardless of whether it’s Johnson or some other plank in charge. Mid term By elections are weird fish in our democracy. Shock results only spawn a temporary media frenzy then everything reverts to type

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 9:37 am

I'm not so sure JAS. A lot depends on how they deal with the next six months.
If they keep having pointless lockdowns every time we get a new variant and carry on with unscientific measures then they will be rejected.

Perhaps the only thing that can save them is the lack of an effective opposition. Given the support they get from Labour, we might as well have a coalition.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 17 Dec 2021, 9:43 am

JAS wrote:I’d still bet the house on Shropshire and Chesham and Amersham going back blue in a general election regardless of whether it’s Johnson or some other plank in charge. Mid term By elections are weird fish in our democracy. Shock results only spawn a temporary media frenzy then everything reverts to type

I'd fully expect to see them go blue with pretty significant majorities. If you look at the by election numbers compared to the last general election you'll notice that rather than the Conservative vote switching they just didn't bother at all. The Lib Dems took a significant chunk of the Labour vote too which as a percentage had a bigger drop.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 17 Dec 2021, 10:31 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
JAS wrote:I’d still bet the house on Shropshire and Chesham and Amersham going back blue in a general election regardless of whether it’s Johnson or some other plank in charge. Mid term By elections are weird fish in our democracy. Shock results only spawn a temporary media frenzy then everything reverts to type

I'd fully expect to see them go blue with pretty significant majorities. If you look at the by election numbers compared to the last general election you'll notice that rather than the Conservative vote switching they just didn't bother at all. The Lib Dems took a significant chunk of the Labour vote too which as a percentage had a bigger drop.

There was a clear tactical switch from Lab to Lib Dem, which isn’t uncommon in by elections, does make you wonder why the don’t then stay there at generals. Despite how I might come across at times I’m more anti Tory than pro Labour but I know full well I’m perceived as a Labour fanboy.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 10:53 am

beninho wrote:Oh Owen Paterson.

What was being laughed off as a nonsense at the time, has led to a massive by election shock. Not a sign that the country has suddenly become lib dems, but a bit of a sign that the current government is more unpopular then many thought, and that tactical voting,like in Anersham could work.

The Lib Dems were about 5/6 to win it. How was it a shock?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 10:54 am

Interesting you should say that JAS.
Im more anti lefty loony Corbynist Labour than I am pro Tory.
Sensible ground is to be either centre left or centre right and in all truth, we are probably all a mix of those two things.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 17 Dec 2021, 10:57 am

Duty281 wrote:

What was being laughed off as a nonsense at the time, has led to a massive by election shock. Not a sign that the country has suddenly become lib dems, but a bit of a sign that the current government is more unpopular then many thought, and that tactical voting,like in Anersham could work.

Duty281 wrote:
JDizzle wrote:I still fancy the Tories in NS. Voting conservative is ingrained in people in this neck of the woods. Paterson did have a very loyal personal following which might not turn out for the Tories, but would fancy them to still have enough.

Lib Dems are throwing everything at it though - and for all the talk of a alliance, Labour are standing but aren’t throwing anything at the campaigning beyond the bare minimum.

Yes, I'd be inclined to agree even without any real data. The Tories will be winning on the postal vote count, it then comes down to whether or not the LDs can get out enough voters on the day to overhaul that advantage. With the latest Covid news, and the dark winter weather, that will be a tough task. However there has been a national decline, in recent years, of the (broadly termed) middle-class voting for the Tories so that could still be a pivotal factor.

I'd probably favour the Tories 55-45.

Like a lot of by-elections, the governing party won't be harmed in the long-term by this. Even if they lose this seat will go back to blue at the next GE.

Analysis.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 10:58 am

JAS wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

There was a clear tactical switch from Lab to Lib Dem, which isn’t uncommon in by elections, does make you wonder why the don’t then stay there at generals. Despite how I might come across at times I’m more anti Tory than pro Labour but I know full well I’m perceived as a Labour fanboy.

The main thing with by-elections is the governing party's voters don't get out to vote. The LD + Lab vote in this by-election was around 21k, only a slight increase from the 18k that voted LD + Lab in this constituency in 2019, but the Tory vote went from 35k down to 12k as most of them stayed at home.

They'll turn out again at the next GE and win the Tories a big majority in this constituency, it won't matter even if those new LD voters stay with the Lib Dems.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 17 Dec 2021, 11:11 am

JAS wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

Why would the tactical switch not be from Lib Dem to Labour considering they had a bigger share of the vote at the last general election. It's a concerning loss but i'd be more worried had the seat turned red.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 11:14 am

Would think as a previously safe Tory seat of 200 years that the chance of it going Labour is minimal, hence why Labour didnt take it seriously.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 17 Dec 2021, 11:19 am

super_realist wrote:Would think as a previously safe Tory seat of 200 years that the chance of it going Labour is minimal, hence why Labour didnt take it seriously.

2019 General election

Conservatives- 35,444
Labour- 12,495
Lib Dem- 5,643

Why would the Lib Dems rather than Labour be taking it seriously? The Labour vote has been wiped out by the Lib Dems while the Tory vote didn't bother turning up.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 11:21 am

Lib Dems almost always do well in by-elections because they can pick off voters who are disatisfied with both sides, and are also the home of people who like a tactical or protest vote.
Furthermore Lib Dem were more opposed to government restrictions (supported by Labour) in regards to this new mild strain

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:05 pm

Very true Tories could have put up Mother Theresa as candidate and they would have lost that by election.Very rural constituency only ever going to go Lib no chance of those folk voting labour -who are very quiet.Hardly a seismic event .

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:08 pm

dynamark wrote:Very true Tories could have put up Mother Theresa as candidate and they would have lost that by election.Very rural constituency only ever going to go Lib no chance of those folk voting labour -who are very quiet.Hardly a seismic event .

I dont know why people use Mother Theresa as an example, she was a truly terrible person.
The Tories parachuted someone in from Birmingham, rather than use a local candidate, that was the first mistake.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:40 pm

Duty281 wrote:

A few weeks back, you said a by election was basically nothing as it was so safe. Now you don't think its a shock that the lib dems one?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 17 Dec 2021, 12:52 pm

beninho wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

A few weeks back, you said a by election was basically nothing as it was so safe. Now you don't think its a shock that the lib dems one?  

A few weeks ago although Johnson had made a calamitous slip up most expected it to blow over rather than Johnson continue to be the bumbling gift that keeps on giving. I’ve always thought that of him and I’m a bit bemused that it’s taken until now for many others to start realising. However, having said that, I still think things will calm down after the media have had their feeding frenzy

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:03 pm

I dont think this is a sea change in politics. But I do hope it signals better working by parties. But By Election are always a bit different.

I do see again that the crank Marin Daubney carried on believing twitter and being stuffed in an election. Like his mate Fox in London

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:11 pm

beninho wrote:I dont think this is a sea change in politics. But I do hope it signals better working by parties. But By Election are always a bit different.

I do see again that the crank Marin Daubney carried on  believing twitter and being stuffed in an election. Like his mate Fox in London

I dont think anyone actually pays attention to these parties Ben do they?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:26 pm

All right then how about Florence Nightingale as candidate.
Boris was very popular with his party members when he was very popular with the public . They are just changing with the wind direction at present .

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:30 pm

Florence Nightingale was an absolute c*nt.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:35 pm

The funniest last is still how self inflicted the defeat was. No need for it. Tried to cover up the mps dodginess which led to them losing the seat. All for a 30 day suspension.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:36 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:I dont think this is a sea change in politics. But I do hope it signals better working by parties. But By Election are always a bit different.

I do see again that the crank Marin Daubney carried on  believing twitter and being stuffed in an election. Like his mate Fox in London

Nope, but they keep thinking there is a big group out there to vote for them. When in reality they are just insignificant.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:39 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Florence Nightingale was an absolute c*nt.

C'mon Jules, you need to at least make an effort to mimic the type of language used on here. Nightingale was a "ghastly" woman and an "oaf".

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:40 pm

beninho wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

That was if Owen Paterson was re-standing as he has (had?) big personal support in the area. With a new candidate it was up in the air. Most people have known the race is close for weeks, hence why the LDs were narrow odds-on favourites and why it wasn't a shock. Labour winning...that would have been a shock.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:41 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Nope, but they keep thinking there is a big group out there to vote for them. When in reality they are just insignificant.

If they're insignificant why do you keep going on about them? I doubt Daubney ever thought he'd win or even retain his deposit.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:49 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Florence Nightingale was an absolute c*nt.

Something in common with a certain poster on here then*.

*I cannot divulge whether I share initials with said poster or not.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:54 pm

beninho wrote:The funniest last is still how self inflicted the defeat was. No need for it. Tried to cover up the mps dodginess which led to them losing the seat. All for a 30 day suspension.

A 30 day suspension can trigger a by election under the recall of Parliament act.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:57 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:The funniest last is still how self inflicted the defeat was. No need for it. Tried to cover up the mps dodginess which led to them losing the seat. All for a 30 day suspension.

A 30 day suspension can  trigger a by election under the recall of Parliament act.

I honestly don't think it would have, and if so he probably would have won.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 1:59 pm

Why wouldnt it? 14 working days suspension is the rule.

If it had enough signatories it wohld have happened

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:04 pm

Hate to support super but the abuse and atrocities of Mother Theresa have been well documented at this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:08 pm

super_realist wrote:Why wouldnt it? 14 working days suspension is the rule.

If it had enough signatories it wohld have happened

I dont think people would have voted, and I dont think many woukd have even known it was happening. If the Tory Party didn't try and overturn it, it would have been un noteworthy.

And as mentioned, he was a popular Mp, in a blue area. Everything that happened was the snowball.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:10 pm

The Owen Paterson story was a minor news story. Until himself and his own party blew it all up.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:12 pm

McLaren wrote:Hate to support super but the abuse and atrocities of Mother Theresa have been well documented at this point.

It's not so much the criticism itself, so much as the predictability of it. Like most people, she had her faults, but in the scheme of things she probably helped a lot more people than she hurt.
But why give up the chance to use the word 'repulsive'? Super must be fuming that she was quite skinny.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:13 pm

beninho wrote:The Owen Paterson story was a minor news story. Until himself and his own party blew it all up.

Being suspended from Parliament would be massive news. I agree the government made it worse though.

They had had litany of schoolboy errors.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:15 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
McLaren wrote:Hate to support super but the abuse and atrocities of Mother Theresa have been well documented at this point.

It's not so much the criticism itself, so much as the predictability of it. Like most people, she had her faults, but in the scheme of things she probably helped a lot more people than she hurt.
But why give up the chance to use the word 'repulsive'? Super must be fuming that she was quite skinny.

Ha ha ha, thats like saying Hitler wasnt that bad because he gave his mother a present for her birthday.
Mother Theresa was a vile monster acting for a revolting and corrupt organisation.
She thought suffering was a good thing. I wohldnt call that helping people.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:22 pm

She sounds almost as bad as Sir Lewis Hamilton.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:23 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:She sounds almost as bad as Sir Lewis Hamilton.

But not nearly as bad as David Warner.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:26 pm

It really would be odd if we are at the point of defending Mother Theresa on here?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:26 pm

Sir? He accepted a knighthood did he? 😂 😂 😂 You couldn't make it up. Yet another leaf to his book of hypocrisy

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:27 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:The Owen Paterson story was a minor news story. Until himself and his own party blew it all up.

Being suspended from Parliament would be massive news. I agree the government made it worse though.

I do t think Rob Roberts bei g suspended for 6 weeks was massive news, or even Dawn Butler. News, but nothing that would last in a headline for more then a day ir 2.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:27 pm

Pal Joey wrote:

But not nearly as bad as David Warner.

Somewhere between Prince Harry and a fat asylum seeker.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:28 pm

super_realist wrote:

Sir? He accepted a knighthood did he? 😂 😂 😂 You couldn't make it up. Yet another leaf to his book of hypocrisy

Has he previously said he won't take a knighthood?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:28 pm

super_realist wrote:

I imagine you turned down your OBE.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:29 pm

Sorry lads I running out of possibles how about Ghandi or Nelson mandela

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:30 pm

super_realist wrote:

He couldn't even be bothered to brush those ugly knots out of his hair when Jug Ears knighted him. It's a joke I tell you.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:32 pm

dynamark wrote:Sorry lads I running out of possibles how about Ghandi or Nelson mandela

I hope youbrealise Ghandi was a pretty terrible human being too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:33 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Has he previously said he won't take a knighthood?

Im just surprised hed take an honour from an institution which represents "colonial repression"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:33 pm

dynamark wrote:Sorry lads I running out of possibles how about Ghandi or Nelson mandela

One was an anti-Semite, the other was a terrorist.
Try choosing someone pure of heart and full of goodwill to all. Someone who posts on thread, for example.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:34 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I do t think Rob Roberts bei g suspended for 6 weeks was massive news, or even Dawn Butler. News, but nothing that would last in a headline for more then a day ir 2.

They weren't suspended.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:38 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_from_the_UK_parliament

Roberts 6 weeks for sexual misconduct. Butler for just the rest of the day.

But the Roberts one is big, and shows how unnewsworthy it is when you didn't even know about it.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next