The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+18
I'm never wrong
lostinwales
pedro
Galted
Duty281
JAS
Pal Joey
Mind the windows Tino.
superflyweight
ralphjohn69
westisbest
McLaren
incontinentia
Soul Requiem
JuliusHMarx
dynamark
beninho
super_realist
22 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Oct 2021, 9:42 am

First topic message reminder :

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Will Alec Baldwin go to jail for the manslaughter of that lady on the filmset under American law or is it considered an industrial accident?
Doesnt seem like he's in trouble just yet. How do you kill someone with a prop gun that fires blanks?

Edit: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prop-gun-using-blanks-still-052227936.html

"As for the question of criminal responsibility, that’s for law enforcement to investigate. But it must be noted that in the vast majority of cases, the person who pulled the trigger wasn’t remotely at fault. They were handed a prop and assured it would function normally — and it didn’t."

Guns dont kill people, rappers do.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by BamBam Wed 19 Jan 2022, 2:04 pm

Oh they come in pairs

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Wed 19 Jan 2022, 5:21 pm

I watched PMQ today and thought it was pretty poor from Starmer no serious questions and just
kept on Punch and Judy surprised the speaker didnt step in more and then mentioning the queen which is apparently a no go area.To be expected I guess but all very shallow.Davis is a very bitter man never got the gig

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Jan 2022, 10:46 am

dynamark wrote:I watched PMQ today and thought it was pretty poor from Starmer no serious questions and just
kept on Punch and Judy surprised the speaker didnt step in more and then mentioning the queen which is apparently a no go area.To be expected I guess but all very shallow.Davis is a very bitter man never got the gig

I actually think Davis would have been better than some of the previous incumbents never mind Johnson. Got to say Starmer was too repetitive and restrained. When Johnson changed tack he should immediately have jumped on ….there’s over 150000 dead on your watch, that’s more civilians than the Luftwaffe killed you absuolute towrag, let the bodies pile high…well they certainly have. The vaccines are indeed a beautiful stable door but the horses bolted when you were on the cheese & wine.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 11:29 am

I actually dont care much about the parties. What matters is that it demonstrates that the government didnt believe that the restrictions either worked or were necessary. Its the hypocrisy thats the problem.

We have seen that vaccine passports dont work, we have seen that mask mandates do nothing as infection rates were worse in Wales, Scotland and NI than in England. We have seen from the governments own report that there is no evidence for school pupils to use masks so Im glad that their arse covering as resulted in these preposterous rules being removed. Now, if only someone would tell Sadiq K*nt.

Time to live with it now and stop the absurd scaremongering of Gruppenfuhrer Drakeford and pathetic BBC and Sky Journalists

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:04 pm

Super

Don't doubt how effectively a proper mask strategy could have alleviated things.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:12 pm

Mac, you need to take into consideration how studies are done.
They dont replicate real world situations.

They use medical grade masks replaced every four hours. Who has ever done that?

If masks genuinely made a statistical difference we would know by how much and we would be mandated to wear a particular standard and replace them. We would also be mandated to wear them at all indoor times, rather than just at selected times.

Also, Scotland, Wales and  Norn Irn should show a significantly reduced infection rate to England, yet they don't despite having lower population density than England.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:20 pm

Super

This might be more useful if you don't want to read an academic paper.

From the WSJ. https://archive.fo/08Yd2
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:22 pm

Mac, if masks are such a big deal and so effective why is it that Wales, NI and Scotland have had worse rates than England a country where population density is significantly greater.

Last edited by super_realist on Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:23 pm

super_realist wrote:
If masks genuinely made a statistical difference we would know by how much and we would be mandated to wear a particular standard and replace them. We would also be mandated to wear them at all indoor times, rather than just at selected times.

They do make a statistical difference but I'm not sure what makes you think that would mean we were mandated to wear the correct ones at the correct times? You seemingly have more trust in the government than should be warranted.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:25 pm

Do you dispute the implications of this diagram?

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 F6.medium
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:30 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

They do make a statistical difference but I'm not sure what makes you think that would mean we were mandated to wear the correct ones at the correct times? You seemingly have more trust in the government than should be warranted.

I said statistically significant, not just a statistical difference.

Your studies are based on the use of medical grade masks. We arent required to wear these masks. We are only required to use "a face covering" which could be anything.
If masks were so essential, why aren't we required to wear a medical grade mask? Why isnt it publicied by what % theybreduce anything?
Ps, they are required in Germany to wear such a mask since Omicron, hows it working there in terms of infection?

Im not trusting the government one bit. Im questioning why the use of masks is still required when the evidence which supports their efficacy in real time conditions is as flimsy as a mask.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:31 pm

McLaren wrote:Do you dispute the implications of this diagram?

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 F6.medium

Im sceptical of how these studies relate to real world situations.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:32 pm

Super

My point is that an effective mask strategy would require the use of N95 masks in all indoor spaces.

Also see this.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 OG-GD258_c80e66_APP_20220102152605

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:33 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

My point is that an effective mask strategy would require the use of N95 masks in all indoor spaces.

Also see this.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 18 OG-GD258_c80e66_APP_20220102152605

So why have no countries applied this strategy?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:35 pm

And I agree, part of the issue might be getting people to wear the correct masks but the more data that comes out on the efficacy of n95 masks the more you have to wonder what everyone at least being asked to wear them could have done. The cloth masks might as well go in the bin, and yet people think they are achieving something by wearing them.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:35 pm

Anyway, why have a mask strategy for a population that has 97% of ots population with antibodies and in which only 1 person per 1000 infected dies?

60% of people dying are also unvaccinated.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:37 pm

McLaren wrote:And I agree, part of the issue might be getting people to wear the correct masks but the more data that comes out on the efficacy of n95 masks the more you have to wonder what everyone at least being asked to wear them could have done. The cloth masks might as well go in the bin, and yet people think they are achieving something by wearing them.

Cloth masks in my opinion caise a false sense of security. People maintained far better distance before we mandated their use

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:37 pm

super_realist wrote:

So why have no countries applied this strategy?

I would guess that strategies for mask wearing were made long before the data was this clear or getting enough n95 masks is too expensive. Although you have to ask what is too expensive when millions of lives are at risk?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 1:43 pm

Millions of lives are no longer at risk. Perhaps if tjeres another virus this tactoc will be used, but the horse has already bolted.

Theres no way the world will adopt a new mask mandate for a effectively harmless variant.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Jan 2022, 2:01 pm

I always understood that the wearing of masks was never about protecting the wearer it was about giving some level of protection to those in the immediate vicinity by reducing aerosol propulsion of virus particles when breathing out. Anybody who thought wearing a mask was about protecting themselves should have been paying more attention.

So throughout this Supes you’ve been saying “we can’t compare blah blah blah”…but here you are, eh, comparing?? The Jocks and the Welsh are a different demographic and to be fair the incidence of infection IS lower than in England. Anyways if we are back to comparing I’d refer you to exhibit A, mask wearing in Japan and South Korea and their overall infection and death rates compared to ours and the US… That comparison aint so much fun is it?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 2:07 pm

No Jas, I was always talking about comparing the likes of the UK to the likes of South Korea which is clearly absurd.
Comparing broadly the same demographics as we have in the UK, especially on the same island seems about as reasonable a comparision as you can make.

You seem to have missed my point about the masks, which even Mac got and it was that we are wearing masks (or pieces of cloth) for which there is scant evidence they are  statistically significant for anything.

Covid rates are higher in Wales and Scotland than England by the way Jas, deapite the extra measures
throughout most of Omicron

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 2:22 pm

Jas

There is much to be gained for the wearer of the mask. See the couple of articles I posted above.

But I agree that in time it will become clear that traditional mask wearing nations like Japan and South Korea will have seen a huge benefit over reluctant mask wearing nations like ourselves.

I think what also has to be made clear is that it can be very hard to communicate scientific ideas to the masses. As it stands the data pretty much confirms how effective the correct mask types can be. It is quite another matter to get this to sink in with politicians and the general public. You just have to think back to how painful it was watching the dumb asses in school science class trying to grasp even the most basic concept.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 2:24 pm

Mac, you're being Captain Hindsight.

Your data comes far too late.

Last edited by super_realist on Thu 20 Jan 2022, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 2:25 pm

Something we might all be able to agree on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60065277

She was a one hit wonder.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 2:28 pm

Not at all Mac.
Most female tennis players hang around less than Michelle Wie, but Raducanu really is good. Understandable why she did poorly

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Jan 2022, 3:12 pm

McLaren wrote:Something we might all be able to agree on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/60065277

She was a one hit wonder.

You can put a stat on it which says she has a 33.3% success rate at Grand slams. So there are 4 grand slams per year, give her a 15 year career, that’ll be another 20 during her career then. Absurd?? Yeah probably about as absurd as saying she’s a one hit wonder.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Jan 2022, 3:18 pm

super_realist wrote:No Jas, I was always talking about comparing the likes of the UK to the likes of South Korea which is clearly absurd.
Comparing broadly the same demographics as we have in the UK, especially on the same island seems about as reasonable a comparision as you can make.

You seem to have missed my point about the masks, which even Mac got and it was that we are wearing masks (or pieces of cloth) for which there is scant evidence they are  statistically significant for anything.

Covid rates are higher in Wales and Scotland than England by the way Jas, despite the extra measures
throughout most of Omicron

You getting your “facts” from Murdoch sh1t-rags or what??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jan 2022, 3:23 pm

I said throughout Omicron.
Funny you ignored that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Jan 2022, 4:00 pm

Saying Covid rates are higher as opposed to Covid rates “have been” higher suggests you were talking about now. Why would you wish to only select the omicron time period rather than the pandemic as a whole. The fact is no leader has a pristine record when it comes to managing this pandemic. Krankie herself has held her hands up more than once to say she’d got something wrong which is fair enough. Johnson on the other hand has proven himself to be a black belt in lying through his teeth, it goes on daily and he’s STILL doing it. Even the most basic google will reveal that we DONT have the “best vaccine roll out in europe” unless of course he has a really weird definition of “best”

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 20 Jan 2022, 5:39 pm

Mac you obviously didnt watch the tennis this morning .The lady started the match with a blister on her right hand which got a lot worse .She very nearly won the match with one good hand and came up with all manner of shots in a deal of pain to win points.Bit like a golfer trying to play with
no glove and a couple of splits on their fingers,Good effort but needs to make sure it doesnt happen going forward

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 7:08 pm

dyna

Tiger won the US open with a broken leg.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 20 Jan 2022, 7:10 pm

McLaren wrote:dyna

Tiger won the US open with a broken leg.

Thus proving that golf isn't a real sport Run

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 20 Jan 2022, 7:36 pm

Mac you dont hit the ball with your leg unless its a crafty tap-did I ever tell the story of a round with the assistant chief constable of leicestershire who could not count and had a couple of 'improved situations with his foot'proper dodgy.
Who was the pro who broke his shin whilst driving the ball does sky commentary Richard Boxhall ?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jan 2022, 7:57 pm

dynamark wrote:Mac you dont hit the ball with your

And you don't hit the tennis ball with your hand.

But on a serious note you vert much do use your legs when hitting the ball. It is where a lot of your power will come from.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 21 Jan 2022, 8:24 am

That's my first positive result. Nose started streaming so did a lateral flow, and both lines came up. My son has also tested positive, though no symptoms. But there has been a class in his year group with only 12 pupils.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 21 Jan 2022, 9:59 am

Hope its not too severe for you both Ben ,Folk I have known recently comparing it to a bad cold for a couple of days so good luck with that.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 21 Jan 2022, 1:28 pm

Yeah take care Ben, speedy recovery to you and the lad.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 21 Jan 2022, 2:28 pm

My wife and daughter both tested positive this morning. I'm negative at the moment...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Jan 2022, 3:47 pm

That sucks Ben. What sort of isolation period are you looking at?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 21 Jan 2022, 4:01 pm

Stay safe Blue and get well soon. So many people around our area getting it now too. Think the new infection numbers are becoming increasingly irrelevant, certainly to compare against previous waves.
Think I’d rather have it and be done with it, assuming it stays mild and doesn’t get enough of a grip to cause any long Covid.

JAS

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 21 Jan 2022, 4:54 pm

If PCR tests aren't required anymore, I doubt every positive case is being recorded. I'm sure I'll ride it out, tge boy just happy he has time off school!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 24 Jan 2022, 5:32 pm

Ranieri gone after 3 and a half months.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 25 Jan 2022, 2:03 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:My wife and daughter both tested positive this morning. I'm negative at the moment...

I've got Covid as well now. Feel as rough as old boots, just glad I've been triple jabbed

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 25 Jan 2022, 6:55 pm

Some mixed signals on when day 5 is, track and trace said today, as my nose started running Thursday ight, before Fridays test. But my boys school have his day 5 tomorrow. Anyway if I'm negative tonight and tomorrow I'm free!

I've been fine though, runny nose and a bit bunged up over weekend, all fine since then. The boy and now the wife all also OK. Just tge 4 year old non positive so far. So probably patient zero!

beninho

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 26 Jan 2022, 12:56 pm

Evening all first the golf enjoyed watching Dubai at the weekend looked a great golf course next to the racetrack.Real test put a few of the guys in serious bother(Hatton) and very sensible to have another couple of events in the same area. I have to try to go there next year and have also watched the BBC prog inside dubai which is hilarious and serious in the same moment.
Just watched PMQ and Boris having a go no real winner and the report should be out soon .Personally I have no problem with a person having a piece of cake in their office on their birthday.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 26 Jan 2022, 1:29 pm

dynamark wrote:Evening all first the golf enjoyed watching Dubai at the weekend looked a great golf course next to the racetrack.Real test put a few of the guys in serious bother(Hatton) and very sensible to have another couple of events in the same area. I have to try to go there next year and have also watched the BBC prog inside dubai which is hilarious and serious in the same moment.
Just watched PMQ and Boris having a go no real winner  and the report should be out soon .Personally I have no problem with a person having a piece of cake in their office on their birthday.

That's not the only issue.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 26 Jan 2022, 7:37 pm

Not the only issue but take Boris out and we still have an 80 seat majority govt .When labour get some credibility and traction they can celebrate but I genuinley cannot see another labour govt in next 10 yeaqrs

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 27 Jan 2022, 10:16 am

dynamark wrote: Not the only issue but take Boris out and we still have an 80 seat majority govt .When labour get some credibility and traction they can celebrate but I genuinley cannot see another labour govt in next 10 yeaqrs

Neither can I although the best chance of that looks like coming from allowing Boris to carry on. He blunders on and many expose their flaws of judgement by being seen to defend the indefensible. That isn’t doing backbenchers any good in their constituencies. When I say indefensible it’s really not about cake, it’s about being exposed as a pathological liar.

So we’re in a weird sort of limbo where for those on the left they can sit back and watch the Tory brand being dragged through the mud but at the same time it must be frustrating because instead of rockets and bangers fireworks Starmer is like a bloody irritating little sparkler. He should be skewering Johnson at this point and he just isn’t, I’d like to think that’s by design but I just don’t think it is.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 27 Jan 2022, 1:25 pm

The left is dead in the UK. And has been for quite some time.

Just look at the party in power since 1950

Tory 51 - 64 (13 years)
Labour 64 70 (6 years)
Tory 70 - 74 (4 years)
Labour 74 - 79 (5 years)
Tory 79 - 97 (18 years)
Labour 97 - 2010 (13 years)
Tory 10 - 22 (12 years)

Totals (71)

Tory 47 (66%)
Labour 24 (33%)

Without Blair, who was perceived as a centrist by the masses, the left has not been popular with the people of the UK in the post war period. And my sense is that the people of the UK can't kick a niggling feeling that they are not ready for progressive politics. Forget economic policies it is the social change that the UK is afraid of.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 27 Jan 2022, 5:32 pm

Agree Mac even today several Labour shadow ministers on the box and none have any real impact
.Still talk about momentum and a new group which would be a disaster for them

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next