The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Section Morning Tea Society

+11
Dolphin Ziggler
guildfordbat
superflyweight
Duty281
alfie
Pal Joey
rIck_dAgless
lostinwales
JuliusHMarx
Mind the windows Tino.
Galted
15 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Music Section Morning Tea Society - Page 4 Empty Music Section Morning Tea Society

Post by Galted Wed 17 Nov 2021, 10:07 am

First topic message reminder :

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:
Galted wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:
Galted wrote:We had a spider in our flat on Monday.

I saw two little ones on the ceiling last night... in different rooms.
Common house spiders. We've had a lot of rain lately so they're obviously looking for a warm dry refuge.

Have to feel a bit sorry for our spider living in the UK if warmth and dryness is what they like.

Make a little cotton wool nest for it and take it up to Tino's. Pretty sure he'll have some space in the shed for it.

In amongst the thimble collection.

Maybe I could smuggle my kid into his house, doubt he'd notice with the multitudes he has rampaging about.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Music Section Morning Tea Society - Page 4 Empty Re: Music Section Morning Tea Society

Post by Galted Wed 01 Dec 2021, 10:32 am

Apologies for the lack of a response, Guildford, but films are a bit of a sore point for me at the moment, having had to recently endure the 2019 version of Little Women as well as Cloud Atlas. I shall post a scathing double review on the film thread sometime.

Galted
Galted
Galted

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Music Section Morning Tea Society - Page 4 Empty Re: Music Section Morning Tea Society

Post by Galted Wed 01 Dec 2021, 10:37 am

Good to see the Guildford rage coming to the fore though.  I suspect it's a common sight at the Oval to see him prodding a security guard in the face with a stump (non-euphemistic) or chasing an incompetent fielder around the boundary.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 Dec 2021, 10:42 am

Galted wrote:Good to see the Guildford rage coming to the fore though.  I suspect it's a common sight at the Oval to see him prodding a security guard in the face with a stump (non-euphemistic) or chasing an incompetent fielder around the boundary.

Optimistic.

(Sorry GB).

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 01 Dec 2021, 10:51 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:Good to see the Guildford rage coming to the fore though.  I suspect it's a common sight at the Oval to see him prodding a security guard in the face with a stump (non-euphemistic) or chasing an incompetent fielder around the boundary.

Optimistic.

(Sorry GB).

Depends how good he is at throwing plastic tumblers

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 01 Dec 2021, 11:20 am

Optimistic.

(Sorry GB).

Tino - forgiven provided we get the Stevie G anecdote.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 Dec 2021, 11:32 am

guildfordbat wrote:

Optimistic.

(Sorry GB).

Tino - forgiven provided we get the Stevie G anecdote.

It really isn't that interesting, GB. Just my old mate from school was absolutely mustard at football and played loads of games with Stevie G. He was a few years older but Stevie was that good he was playing county stuff in Merseyside in the age groups above.

My mate had trials at Liverpool, Everton and a couple of other clubs round the North West. He ended up getting picked up by and playing a few games for Tranmere but only in the youth set up. One of those millions of talented footballers who slip through the net. Watched him a couple of times playing semi pro football for Runcorn and he was playing a different game to most of his peers. But like most players who are released from pro clubs and end up on the non league circuit, he eventually dropped his standards to fit into the league.

Just thought Galted would like it. I did actually post it when Stevie was confirmed at Villa so was being a little sarcastic yesterday.

But I don't expect you to read through my posting history. No one deserves that level of purgatory.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 01 Dec 2021, 11:41 am

A nephew of mine got into the youth set up of his local pro club, but quickly worked out that the chances of making it were slim and things could be tough for those who didn't. So he studied and went and got a PhD in psychology instead. He did carrying on playing at a lower level until some b@stard broke his leg with a suicidal tackle.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 01 Dec 2021, 11:57 am

lostinwales wrote:A nephew of mine got into the youth set up of his local pro club, but quickly worked out that the chances of making it were slim and things could be tough for those who didn't. So he studied and went and got a PhD in psychology instead. He did carrying on playing at a lower level until some b@stard broke his leg with a suicidal tackle.

I imagine his psychology degree helped the suicidal tackle recover its will to live.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 Dec 2021, 2:33 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
lostinwales wrote:A nephew of mine got into the youth set up of his local pro club, but quickly worked out that the chances of making it were slim and things could be tough for those who didn't. So he studied and went and got a PhD in psychology instead. He did carrying on playing at a lower level until some b@stard broke his leg with a suicidal tackle.

I imagine his psychology degree helped the suicidal tackle recover its will to live.

You've already michaelsed the g*lf thread, Jules.

Can't have you doing the same here.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 01 Dec 2021, 2:55 pm

Many thanks, Tino.
Although my golf post is a worthy thread-ender (thrender?).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 01 Dec 2021, 3:02 pm

It's good that the lesser super has somewhere that he can come to and lie about his golf handicap. It distracts him from having to think about the fact his real handicap is that he lacks empathy and that he's a c*nt (and not a good c*nt).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 02 Dec 2021, 8:56 am

Fist - get in there!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 02 Dec 2021, 9:15 am

Sicond - Get in where?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 02 Dec 2021, 9:21 am

There!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 02 Dec 2021, 9:27 am

L*l out loud. Best double act we've had on here since the Windows/Sean back-and-forth.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 02 Dec 2021, 10:20 am

Galted wrote:L*l out loud. Best double act we've had on here since the Windows/Sean back-and-forth.

I miss Seany. A brief fleeting reappearance and he has gone again.

His lawnmower based stories were a thing of beauty.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 02 Dec 2021, 3:14 pm

Thread shut down by lawnmower reminiscences

Michaelised by the ghost of Michaels

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 02 Dec 2021, 3:48 pm

lostinwales wrote:Thread shut down by lawnmower reminiscences

Michaelised by the ghost of Michaels

L*l out loud. Almost poetic that.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 Dec 2021, 8:57 am

Dull damp cold Friday fist

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 03 Dec 2021, 9:21 am

Sicond - get in where?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 Dec 2021, 9:33 am

There looks too tight

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 03 Dec 2021, 9:40 am

lostinwales wrote:Dull damp cold Friday fist

That's why 'that' type of film is normally set in places like Florida or PJ's house and not Runcorn or Sunderland.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 03 Dec 2021, 9:49 am

Galted wrote:

That's why 'that' type of film is normally set in places like Florida or PJ's house and not Runcorn or Sunderland.

Sunderland is nicer than Runcorn.

From the 'What Are You Currently Reading?' thread. Lots of serious reviews and some brilliant books being mentioned. Followed by (page 12) -

seanmichaels wrote:Honda Garden Machinery Catalogue

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:02 am

Galted wrote:

From the 'What Are You Currently Reading?' thread. Lots of serious reviews and some brilliant books being mentioned. Followed by (page 12) -

That is very classy. I see you like military history as I do. For some reason I have in the past been drawn to some very good books describing terrible war related things. I can provide a list.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:08 am

Galted wrote:

That caused a spontaneous l*l out loud which is still going on as I type this.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:12 am

lostinwales wrote:

That is very classy. I see you like military history as I do. For some reason I have in the past been drawn to some very good books describing terrible war related things. I can provide a list.

Mate, I'm all in on that. I am fascinated by military history. To the point where I have to force myself from time to time to stop reading about it so I open my horizons a bit more. WWII is my sweet spot but enjoy reading about WWI as well. Read a few decent Vietnam books. Despatches is a great example of that.

I went to Waterstones the other day to get some books for the kids for Xmas but still came away with a book about Hitler & Stalin and one about Montgomery's failure to take Arnhem bridge. Mrs Windows just rolled her eyes when I got home.

Send me any recommendations, champ!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:14 am

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:

Same here.

There was a lovely bonding moment between myself and Superfly about The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'd forgotten that Superfly and me used to be chums once.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:28 am

I read the Road in one sitting and decided I really don't like it. I hate the way it tries to be so manipulative, playing on the father/son relationship. Then the shock scenes seem so clumsy and weak.

Read 'A Writer at War' by Vasily Grossman? A very rare take on the Russian efforts from a Russian journalist, and yes it does show that the evil that men do in real life far exceeds the wildest imagination of writers such as McCarthy.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:33 am

lostinwales wrote:I read the Road in one sitting and decided I really don't like it. I hate the way it tries to be so manipulative, playing on the father/son relationship. Then the shock scenes seem so clumsy and weak.

Read 'A Writer at War' by Vasily Grossman? A very rare take on the Russian efforts from a Russian journalist, and yes it does show that the evil that men do in real life far exceeds the wildest imagination of writers such as McCarthy.

The Road is a proper polarising book. I absolutely loved it, Mrs Windows hated it as much as you.

Never read that but I'll put it on the list.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:47 am

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:

Same here.

There was a lovely bonding moment between myself and Superfly about The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'd forgotten that Superfly and me used to be chums once.

Yeah - that was before you died.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:51 am

lostinwales wrote:I read the Road in one sitting and decided I really don't like it. I hate the way it tries to be so manipulative, playing on the father/son relationship. Then the shock scenes seem so clumsy and weak.

The Road is a proper polarising book. I absolutely loved it, Mrs Windows hated it as much as you.

It's very good. I did try reading one of his novels (Life and Fate) but gave up. I don't have the tolerance for that kind of heavy work that I used to, but the book I have referenced doesn't have that problem.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:58 am

I read two of his novels - Life and Fate.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 03 Dec 2021, 10:58 am

lostinwales wrote:

It's very good. I did try reading one of his novels (Life and Fate) but gave up. I don't have the tolerance for that kind of heavy work that I used to, but the book I have referenced doesn't have that problem.

Just read a few reviews of it actually. Sounds like a bit of a gem.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 Dec 2021, 11:00 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:I read two of his novels - Life and Fate.

Which did you prefer?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 03 Dec 2021, 11:01 am

lostinwales wrote:

Which did you prefer?

Death

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 Dec 2021, 11:04 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Which did you prefer?

Death

Is that the sequel?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 03 Dec 2021, 11:23 am

lostinwales wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Which did you prefer?

Death

Is that the sequel?

Death was a actually prequel to Life, as Fate would have it.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 06 Dec 2021, 9:46 am

Unflinching and unmichaelising. The Monday fist is here!

(actually its a crap morning - everybody has a cold and the weather is appalling)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 06 Dec 2021, 9:54 am

Why do I get this feeling that there is a subset of people who post on the drive by that would consider the culture at the YCCC as harmless banter?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 06 Dec 2021, 9:57 am

What a glorious morning! London's basking in sunlight and 30 degree heat, the police have got on top of the stabbings and the Pikeys and Sadiq's set up a tab in every pub for cat owners. I'm off to work on an afternoon hangover.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 06 Dec 2021, 10:03 am

I'm not Bob Dole.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 06 Dec 2021, 10:07 am

Galted wrote:What a glorious morning!  London's basking in sunlight and 30 degree heat, the police have got on top of the stabbings and the Pikeys and Sadiq's set up a tab in every pub for cat owners.  I'm off to work on an afternoon hangover.

Same in the Home Counties. Although we don't have stabbings round here. Unless you count skewering a piece of lobster at dinner time.

Good win for Villa, Galted. My youngest has become obsessed with football so we sat and watched that game. I thought Leicester were going to tear you a new one in the first 15 minutes. They were rampant. Villa slowly got themselves back in the game through sheer will. Much like their manager used to do. I reckon you've got a good one there.

The other interesting news from my weekend of isolation was my new hoover arrived. It is f*cking brilliant. A Dyson v11 Absolute. Sucks like nothing I've ever seen (that level of innuendo must bring sean back?) and is so light weight and easy to manoeuvre with its ball mounted head. Loads of battery charge and it also has a digital display that tells you what settings to use and also if anything isn't attached correctly.

It made hoovering such a pleasure. Who knew.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 06 Dec 2021, 10:15 am

Galted wrote:What a glorious morning!  London's basking in sunlight and 30 degree heat, the police have got on top of the stabbings and the Pikeys and Sadiq's set up a tab in every pub for cat owners.  I'm off to work on an afternoon hangover.

Same in the Home Counties. Although we don't have stabbings round here. Unless you count skewering a piece of lobster at dinner time.

Good win for Villa, Galted. My youngest has become obsessed with football so we sat and watched that game. I thought Leicester were going to tear you a new one in the first 15 minutes. They were rampant. Villa slowly got themselves back in the game through sheer will. Much like their manager used to do. I reckon you've got a good one there.

The other interesting news from my weekend of isolation was my new hoover arrived. It is f*cking brilliant. A Dyson v11 Absolute. Sucks like nothing I've ever seen (that level of innuendo must bring sean back?) and is so light weight and easy to manoeuvre with its ball mounted head. Loads of battery charge and it also has a digital display that tells you what settings to use and also if anything isn't attached correctly.

It made hoovering such a pleasure. Who knew.

It was a good win, showing a promising ability to get results though it's still early days.  If it carries on like this I'll have to start claiming I'd been calling for Stevie G to be appointed since last season.

Is calling your Dyson a 'hoover' an attempt to wind up the more pedantic posters such as Julius, LIW, PJ, Rick and Super?  I've got a Miele which is handy when you want to rip the carpet off the floor or scare the kid and the cat into the other another room.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 06 Dec 2021, 10:18 am

I see that the v11 Absolute has a run-time up to 60 minutes. Very impressive.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 06 Dec 2021, 10:19 am

Galted wrote:

Is calling your Dyson a 'hoover' an attempt to wind up the more pedantic posters such as Julius, LIW, PJ, Rick and Super?

Collateral damage.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 06 Dec 2021, 10:20 am

Galted wrote:I see that the v11 Absolute has a run-time up to 60 minutes.  Very impressive.

Really is. Especially when the suction power means hoovering takes a fraction of the time anyway. I used the Auto setting for hard floors and Eco for carpet. Wonderful variety of options.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 06 Dec 2021, 10:29 am

We used to use Dysons. I liked the design and the practicality of the attachments and the dust container. They were expensive and they broke down. We then got a Sebo that was none of the above and, although on paper it was cheaper when you added in the attachments it was not.

It has however outlasted the Dysons many times over.

My dad once bought a vacuum cleaner as a birthday present for my mum. I don't think he was ever truly forgiven.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 06 Dec 2021, 10:40 am

lostinwales wrote:We used to use Dysons. I liked the design and the practicality of the attachments and the dust container. They were expensive and they broke down. We then got a Sebo that was none of the above and, although on paper it was cheaper when you added in the attachments it was not.

It has however outlasted the Dysons many times over.

My dad once bought a vacuum cleaner as a birthday present for my mum. I don't think he was ever truly forgiven.

Good info, LiW. I will be giving regular progress reports on the v11. Including durability. Can't wait to see how long it lasts.

When I was kid, I had a Saturday and school holiday job for a year or so in a small independent hardware store in Runcorn. The amount of men that would come in to the shop just before closing time on the last working day before Xmas was incredible. Finish their job at mid day, few beers then realise they haven't got any gifts for the wife. Straight down the hardware store to buy a new set of kitchen utensils or a pair of gardening gloves. The shop always used to smell of booze on that particular afternoon.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 06 Dec 2021, 10:52 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:I'm not Bob Dole.

And I wasn't Peter Cundall.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 06 Dec 2021, 11:00 am

We've got a shark hoover. Can suck eggs straight out of a hen, and it has.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next