The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes

+21
superflyweight
JuliusHMarx
AlciG
dummy_half
compelling and rich
No name Bertie
Lowlandbrit
kingraf
Soul Requiem
Good Golly I'm Olly
Marky
king_carlos
Galted
GSC
sirfredperry
KP_fan
Duty281
alfie
guildfordbat
VTR
msp83
25 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes - Page 12 Empty England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes

Post by msp83 Sun 30 Jul 2023, 2:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wood's pace was not quite up there in that first over though he still was quick. The lengths weren't great. Fine half-century from Khawaja who is closing in on regaining the top-scorer position from Crawley for the series.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes - Page 12 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes

Post by Duty281 Sat 09 Sep 2023, 1:19 am

I saw Flintoff was with the England team today, his first public appearance since his crash on Top Gear in December.

It looked as though the injuries he suffered were very severe, more serious than initially reported. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes - Page 12 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2023, Featuring The Ashes

Post by Duty281 Sun 10 Sep 2023, 3:00 pm

Looking like 2-0 NZ, as England are 55/5 in a rain-reduced 34 over game. None of the top four making double digits thanks to Boult, and Buttler has just dragged on after looking good for a decent score.

No - England came back to win. Another top innings from Livingstone and England posted 226, which NZ didn't get near, Topley with 3/27. Very good series for Livingstone so far.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 10 Sep 2023, 7:48 pm

Quite a comeback win that. Fair play to Livi. I'm one of his fans on here but even so I've been leaning towards 6 batters with Buttler at 6, then 5 bowlers at Livi and Mo's expense. That was a terrific innings to drag England back into a game it looked like they'd stuffed up though.

Topley was far better with the ball tonight. Which England really need to see consistently as he seems their best option to partner Woakes with the new ball and then bowl at the death, presumably alongside Surran.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 10 Sep 2023, 8:02 pm

I am somehow managing to miss all these cricket matches as I trek through the northern parts of England... keep catching the end of them in hotel rooms. But up with the scores - that looks like a rather good comeback. Livingstone might have settled any doubts about his place for the WC , no ? Brook hasn't really nailed his spot yet but I guess both Malan and Roy are the ones in most peril...I know some think Willey could be the fall guy again but he hasn't done his chances any harm today ! I think they will want the full set of pace bowlers. Lot to play for among those batsmen looking to cement a place...and I think England will be somewhat relieved to be back on the winning list...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 13 Sep 2023, 12:49 pm

Archer's back in the nets, which is a great sign, but I'll tame any optimism by saying we've been here many times before.

England have also crashed to 14/2 in the third ODI - Boult again doing the damage, taking out Bairstow first ball and then removing Root. Some concerns about Root's form? He's scored 6, 0 and 4 in this series.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 13 Sep 2023, 2:12 pm

Be kicking himself for missing out on this at the moment
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 13 Sep 2023, 2:58 pm

From losing YJB and Root early England have found their way to a near perfect platform here. Buttler coming in around the 30 over mark with them already past 200 is basically ideal. Livi, Mo and Surran to come who all score quickly.

Stokes has batted excellently but as usual now he isn't moving well when he gets deep into an innings. That knee seems well and truly cooked. He's smashing them though.

Once it stopped swinging it's looked like an absolute road so they'll need to capitalise and get a few. Especially with the Livi and Mo combo as the de facto 5th bowler.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 13 Sep 2023, 3:57 pm

Stokes justifies his recall to his doubters with the highest ODI score ever recorded by an Englishman, surpassing Roy's 180.

There will be no 200, but 182 off 124, with nine sixes, is sublime.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 13 Sep 2023, 4:19 pm

Should've probably gotten 400 odd after Stokes inning? Malan with a timely score, Jos got a start but nobody else really did anything

Hard to tell how good that score is. Looked very flat when Stokes and Malan were thrashing it around but after those two and Jos...

Last edited by GSC on Wed 13 Sep 2023, 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 13 Sep 2023, 4:19 pm

Bowled out for 368, Boult with 5/51. England perhaps disappointed not to reach 400. Only Malan, Stokes and Buttler scored higher than 12!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 13 Sep 2023, 4:21 pm

Boult excellent for NZ, fifer under a run a ball when everybody else went for big runs
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 13 Sep 2023, 6:29 pm

NZ making heavy work of this so far. Looking more like an exceptional innings and a very good one
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 13 Sep 2023, 6:40 pm

GSC wrote:Boult excellent for NZ, fifer under a run a ball when everybody else went for big runs
I thought Lister was decent as well to be fair. Not in Boult's league but 3-69 with overs early and late is good in perspective of England's total.

Surran was getting a little bit of shape far later in the innings than the white Kookaburra usually moves.

Wood aside the England squad is stacked with seamers that usually bowl in the PP. Which is a bit of an issue. Surran was turned into a last minute death bowler for the World T20 because they lacked a standout option. It wouldn't surprise me if England tried to do similar in getting some middle innings overs out of him for the CWC.

From what I've seen I'd say Atkinson is a good call as a backup to Wood in that middle overs role. Carse would've been the other option, who I also rate, but I'd say Atkinson's got a bit more in his repertoire.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 13 Sep 2023, 8:10 pm

Very comfortable win. Woakes doing the early damage and picking up 3, then Livingstone taking the last 3 to end with 3/16. Livingstone and Malan have both had strong series, so their place in the World Cup squad should be beyond question now. Livingstone might be ahead of Moeen in terms of actually starting if England only play one spin bowling all-rounder.

However Roy's back issues - which have meant he hasn't played a single game in this series -  are becoming an ongoing struggle, and the Telegraph are now saying that he's a 'doubt' for the World Cup squad, which might be Brook's way into the squad.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Sep 2023, 12:10 pm

The last ODI between England and NZ today. The last real ODI England have before the World Cup. The Ireland series will be comprised of the reserve team, and while there will be a couple of warmups in India before the World Cup itself, it's likely those games will be the 15-a-side types.

Brook's in for this game and will be looking for a score to make his case for inclusion. Roy's still injured, so his place is in jeopardy. Willey and Carse also get a go in this game.

NZ have rested Boult, so that's a relief for England!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Sep 2023, 12:57 pm

Bairstow out cheaply again. Just scores of 6, 0 and 13 for him in this series, and just one fifty for him in his last 11 ODI innings.

Now, Root could do with some runs...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Sep 2023, 2:06 pm

Root out for 29. A very painful innings, dropped twice on the way to even get that far, and doesn't bode well ahead of the World Cup.

But Malan's strolled to a third fifty in a row. Has to be a lock for opener now.

Malan's got to 1000 ODI runs in just 21 innings, which is the joint-third fastest, alongside Viv Richards and KP. Amazingly, five of Malan's 21 innings have been ducks! When he starts he really goes far.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Sep 2023, 3:06 pm

Century for Malan in 96 balls. clap

Five centuries, five 50s, five ducks, in his ODI career.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Sep 2023, 4:56 pm

311 is what England posted. Malan with 127 the only big contributor, Buttler was next with 36, then the rest was 10s and 20s.

Meanwhile, South Africa piled up 416 v Australia!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Sep 2023, 8:21 pm

England win by 100 runs to take the series 3-1. A pretty good series with the bat for Malan, Stokes, Livingstone and Buttler; less so for Brook, Root and Bairstow. Willey had a good series with the ball - 17.5-1-94-5 - and outshone Curran, going a long way to justify his World Cup squad place.

Possible starting XI for England's first game of the World Cup: Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Moeen, Livingstone/Curran, Woakes, Rashid, Wood, Topley.

The top five should be locked down, Malan has been the best player this series, as should Woakes and Rashid's spots. It'll be two from Wood, Topley, Atkinson for the duration of the tournament, I imagine, with steady rotation planned, and possibly Archer coming in late if an injury should occur (*cough*). Despite Livingstone outperforming Moeen in this series, it'll be Moeen's spot that is likely more secure than Livingstone's. Then the final spot hinges on the balance England want. I suspect an extra seamer is more likely, but it's marginal.

There's also a squad space to sort out, between Roy and Brook. Roy struggling with fitness, but Brook has hardly hammered the door down with 25, 2 and 10 in this series.

NZ will be concerned about Southee, who fractured his thumb while dropping Root, and may now be a doubt for the World Cup.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 16 Sep 2023, 6:44 pm

Personally I think the top 6 should be fairly set in stone as

Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Livingstone (and I think it is, after this series).

Then a choice between Moeen/Curran based on conditions at 7

Woakes and Rashid, if fit, are at 8 and 9.

Then two of Wood, Topley, Atkinson to round out 10 and 11.

Willey and Brook as true reserves. Willey mainly for Woakes I think...and Brook can cover anything from opener to 6. I wouldn't take Roy if he's such an injury doubt, and he only covers the opening spot too...but tbf they could go either him or Brook really
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Sep 2023, 10:24 pm

Well, I hope you're right about Livingstone. Would agree on taking Brook over Roy as well. Stokes may not be able to play the full amount of group games with his knee trouble, and if he needs a rest it'll be easier to replace him with Brook, rather than shuffling the order with Roy.

Sounds as though Roy will be added to the squad for the Ireland ODIs, so he and Brook can battle it out for a spot in those games. Root may be added as well in order to find some form.

Rashid is apparently struggling with a calf niggle. Hopefully he'll be OK. He is the one player above all else that England cannot afford to lose.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 17 Sep 2023, 11:43 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Personally I think the top 6 should be fairly set in stone as

Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Livingstone (and I think it is, after this series).

Then a choice between Moeen/Curran based on conditions at 7

Woakes and Rashid, if fit, are at 8 and 9.

Then two of Wood, Topley, Atkinson to round out 10 and 11.

Willey and Brook as true reserves. Willey mainly for Woakes I think...and Brook can cover anything from opener to 6. I wouldn't take Roy if he's such an injury doubt, and he only covers the opening spot too...but tbf they could go either him or Brook really

At this stage, Brook by a distance for me. Besides lacking versatility and fitness, Roy is badly out of form (he had a poor series in The Hundred) and, as mentioned before, when he's not playing Roy is a morose and sulky figure which will only be a hindrance. In contrast, Brook could bat anywhere in the top 6 as Olly says, is fit and his inclusion would probably benefit both the squad for this tournament and himself longer term.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 17 Sep 2023, 2:30 pm

Maybe not a great surprise but Brooks does replace Roy in the 15
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 17 Sep 2023, 2:53 pm

Might be the end of Roy's England career entirely.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 17 Sep 2023, 5:42 pm

It will be a shame if that's how Roy's England career ends. It's easy to forget how vital he was to England turning around their white ball cricket. He epitomised what Bayliss and Morgan wanted the batting to do.

England's 2019 CWC campaign really kicked into gear when Roy returned from injury.

54, 8, 153, 66, 60, 85, 17

That's Roy's innings in the 2019 tournament. That intent back at the top did plenty to wake England up from a poor start.

I can't say it's the wrong decision given how talented Brook is and Roy's injuries. It also shows more how Malan has locked himself into the second openers spot.

king_carlos

alfie and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 17 Sep 2023, 5:55 pm

Yes while I would agree with the decision, it is a great shame this is how Roy's international career potentially ends - and that his body didn't even give him the opportunity to make a claim for that opening spot.

A fantastic white ball opener. Played some of the best knocks I've seen from an England player, and I will never ever forget his three consecutive sixes off Steve Smith in the World Cup semi final, the last one of the biggest I've seen to this day. As KC points out, he was integral in 2019 too.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 17 Sep 2023, 7:57 pm

Agree…both a shame Roy’s fitness has done for him and that the decision makes sense. Malan is in hot form (though Jonny could do with a few runs) so the top order is pretty set and a fit Brook is a better cover than a player who hasn’t had an innings of any sort lately.

Think Olly’s summary of the likely XI is pretty spot on.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 19 Sep 2023, 8:05 pm

I'll post in Duty's CWC thread probably tomorrow when I get a chance but just thought I'd pop this here.

It's really interesting how different England's ODI side might look immediately after this CWC. Roy has been dropped now. Stokes will presumably not wear his body down playing bilateral ODIs when he's Test captain. Wood will likewise presumably be saved for Tests and T20s. Mo is already 36, I'd presume the next World T20 will be his swansong for England. Malan could be similar.

I guess if Woakes is a home Test specialist he might be an option as his workload won't be massive? My priority with Woakes after this would certainly be getting as many home summers out of him as possible though.

I'd love Dilly to go on as long as someone such as Imran Tahir but with his shoulder it doesn't feel that likely. Presumably Rehan will get experience as a long term successor with Liam Dawson a useful option shorter term.

I've got an odd feeling that Bairstow might stay around the ODI side. He came to it later than others and it's arguably his best international format. I might be wrong but Jonny just strikes me as a player that will want to score runs in all formats possible whilst he can.

There's players coming through of course. I think Crawley should be an excellent ODI opener. Whilst I could see Duckett doing very well at 3 or 4 with his playing of spin in the middle overs. Jacks offers the potential of big firepower at the top. In the bowlers we're already seeing Atkinson and Carse.

It's likely to be a very different side straight after this CWC though.

king_carlos

guildfordbat and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 19 Sep 2023, 8:37 pm

Absolutely, and we'll see the start of that post 2023 CWC line-up tomorrow as the strange series v Ireland kicks off. This is what Cricinfo are reckoning the team will be:

England: 1 Will Jacks, 2 Phil Salt (wk), 3 Joe Root, 4 Zak Crawley (capt), 5 Ben Duckett, 6 Sam Hain, 7 Rehan Ahmed, 8 Brydon Carse, 9 Tom Hartley/George Scrimshaw, 10 Luke Wood, 11 Matthew Potts.

Root clearly wants to ignite his form ahead of the World Cup. The rest are not in the World Cup squad, but could be competing for spaces in the run up to 2027.

Ireland are just trying to rebuild after their hopeless qualification campaign in Zimbabwe. No ODI Super League this time, so spaces for the 2027 World Cup will depend on the once-forgotten rankings, meaning every game counts for Ireland from here. Missing out in 2023 was a big blow; missing out in 2027 could be catastrophic.

Mind you, there's plenty of rain around so might not see much cricket.

Duty281

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 19 Sep 2023, 8:57 pm

Quite interesting from a future prospect point of view, despite the series being otherwise essentially meaningless. Slightly curious that Crawley and Duckett - current Test opening pair - are set to bat in the middle order. As KC has flagged above , there are likely to be a lot of changes post WC for the White ball outfit ; I would certainly see either as potential openers , perhaps Crawley more so ?
I know nothing of Hartley but he seems to be yet another promising young pace bowler and hopefully will get a run at some point. Hope Ahmed has a good workout as I do feel Rashid’s shoulder is likely to do for him sooner than we’d like…hopefully not before this WC is done !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Sep 2023, 2:05 pm

Lots of rain around this morning/early afternoon, but it is set to clear up so might get a 20-30 over game in.

Duty281

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Sep 2023, 4:56 pm

Optimism misplaced, game abandoned. 2nd game on Saturday.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 20 Sep 2023, 5:04 pm

Hopefully Root had a cracking net...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 21 Sep 2023, 12:50 pm

Tom Kohler-Cadmore has been added to the squad as Root's replacement. With Root already replacing Brook.

More interestingly, Roy turned down the chance to be in the squad. I wonder if that's a sign of, firstly, Roy feeling his career is over. Secondly, Guildford's point about Roy not dealing well with getting dropped being true.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Sep 2023, 12:57 pm

To be fair, based on the comments Luke Wright said (in the below), I think if I were in Roy's position I'd be mighty peeved and less than keen on some meaningless knockabouts with Ireland too. Don't think England have handled this pre-selection/squad selection thing well at all.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/mens-world-cup-2023-premium/luke_wright_jason_roy_was_told_going_world_cup_before_late_omission.html
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 21 Sep 2023, 1:05 pm

Agreed. It was a problem they didn't need to create. Naming a 15-man squad, saying it's the final squad, then Mott giving an interview a day later where he seemed to intentionally use "provisional" about a dozen times.

They should have done what they did in 2019. Name an 18-man squad for the pre tournament ODIs and say that it will be cut down to 15 for the final deadline. That's still brutal on those who miss out last minute but pro sport is brutal. Whereas this feels like an unnecessary mess of their own creation.

If a batter gets injured in the CWC (which isn't unrealistic with Stokes having one leg, Bairstow a metal leg, Malan and Mo being 36) then I think Roy may come to regret not trying to get a score or two under his belt though. If Jacks blasts a few more I could see him pushing ahead of Roy now given he can open as well as bat in the middle order and bowl a bit of spin.

king_carlos

guildfordbat, alfie and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Sep 2023, 2:57 pm

England put up 334/8 in the second ODI v Ireland. Jacks with 94 and Hain with 89 the top scorers and main beneficiaries. Feels weird to see Hain finally play for England, I thought he'd be the new Hildreth. Crawley with a two ball duck, not exactly the restart he wanted to make in his limited overs career.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 23 Sep 2023, 3:40 pm

Just the 4 no balls in your first international over lol
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 23 Sep 2023, 3:46 pm

Our answer to Mohammed Amir!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 23 Sep 2023, 4:45 pm

Ireland bowled poorly, particularly up top, but Jacks and Hain batted well.

Interesting that Morgan immediately picked up on Hain starting slowly, not rotating the strike just before Jacks getting out with the big shot. Hain then ended up with the best SR of the innings though. Something very Malan about it!

I've mentioned it previously, as has Olly, but I can't help but think this young side look much better in the field than the older first XI do these days.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 23 Sep 2023, 5:34 pm

king_carlos wrote:Ireland bowled poorly, particularly up top, but Jacks and Hain batted well.

Interesting that Morgan immediately picked up on Hain starting slowly, not rotating the strike just before Jacks getting out with the big shot. Hain then ended up with the best SR of the innings though. Something very Malan about it!

I've mentioned it previously, as has Olly, but I can't help but think this young side look much better in the field than the older first XI do these days.

I just wonder if that innings from Hain vindicates the selectors somewhat. There's no doubting he'd score a bucketful of runs for England and lets be honest striking at 108 is nothing to be too negative about but the high end gears just aren't there. Stokes, Livingstone and Buttler are all options at 5, you'd expect all to have gone ballistic at the end here, 400 felt like par when Hain came into bat especially against a weak side.

If he's batting at three I think his style fits but at five he isn't explosive enough.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 23 Sep 2023, 6:46 pm

I think so to an extent, Soul. For that middle overs role of scoring at a run a ball risk free England have simply had better players. Root, Morgan and Stokes were outstanding at that. Whilst as you say Hain doesn't have the top end power of others.

It is difficult to see where he slots in. If Root doesn't play many ODIs in the next cycle (he hasn't in this one!) then I wouldn't be surprised for England to shift towards three openers in the top 3. Then more of a middle overs specialist at 4. Hain could do that role but even then I feel that Duckett might be the better player for it. Duckett is a really good player of spin in the white ball game and has more power.

1.Bairstow
2.Jacks
3.Brook
4.Duckett
5.Buttler
6.Livi

Presuming that Stokes and Root aren't seen much in bilaterals and Malan ages out I could see a top 6 something like that emerging. With Crawley as a definite contender in the top 3 as well. I think Crawley will play plenty of ODI cricket.

I think Hain will be in the mix. As he is here. I do feel we might see there simply be slightly better options again though.

I missed much of the Ireland innings as I switched over to the rugby. It looks like Rehan did well and nice to see Scrimshaw recover. His reaction to his first international wicket was a bit heart breaking. He looked so upset with the previous mistakes and very worried he'd overstepped again.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 26 Sep 2023, 12:06 pm

Last international game of the English summer today. Luke Wood coming in for Scrimshaw, as Ireland win the toss and bowl first.

Thought this was quite decent - https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/marcus-trescothick-says-involvement-with-england-has-helped-andrew-flintoff-grow-back-into-freddie-1399984

Hope Flintoff will continue to be involved with the England set up. Sounds a good influence.

Duty281

king_carlos and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 26 Sep 2023, 12:45 pm

50 partnership in 3.3 overs. Shocked

First 500 today?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 26 Sep 2023, 12:48 pm

Crawley-ball is underway
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 26 Sep 2023, 1:11 pm

Craig Young has bowled really well here to be fair. Ireland under a full assault but he's been accurate, found a bit of nip, now has both openers.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 26 Sep 2023, 2:32 pm

252/3 after 27 overs. Salt and Crawley perhaps disappointed not to push on, but Duckett, after a slow start, is motoring through the gears.

Still a chance of 500. Every Irish bowler who's bowled a couple of overs or more has gone for 7 an over or more, except Young whose figures of 5-0-18-2 seem to be from a different game!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Tue 26 Sep 2023, 2:44 pm

If Stokes and Malan step back/are dropped after the World Cup in preparation for 2027 then you'd think Duckett has to play as the only real left hand option available. Good if he can nail down a place and avoid that becoming an issue.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 26 Sep 2023, 2:48 pm

Duckett has been impressive. I think he could be terrific in that number 4 position. His ability to work spin so well in a relatively risk free manner seems to set him apart from others as a middle overs ODI batter. 100 up and hopefully still going. He seemed to do a fair amount of field placements in the 2nd ODI despite Crawley being skipper as well.

Crawley looks made for top order batting in this format. Those drives and his flicks through midwicket on generally flat ODI wickets, with the field restrictions and white Kookaburra (even with the reinforced seam) will be hard to stop.

It may seem odd to focus on Jacks after 61 from 28 balls by Salt. But I think Jacks ability to hit so dominantly through the offside as well as leg is a big strength. Many modern white ball batters are brutal through the leg side. Jacks can clear the ropes on both sides of the wicket though. That doesn't mean the best bowlers might not find weaknesses we haven't seen yet. Chris Lynn was a similar destroyer of pace but once he faced quality spin on tougher wickets he was all at sea. I like the look of Jacks opening in ODIs more than I thought I might at one point though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next