The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+32
Mick(TEFC)
MR. scotland27
geoff998rugby
RuggerRadge2611
perthshirepuma
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Rava
nottins
Cari
PenfroPete
Breadvan
Luckless Pedestrian
greybeard
mickyt
Mickado
Adam D
red_stag
robbo277
WillyGilly
Dave.
prop_lyd
KiaRose
Gibson
Suspicious lurker
Thomond
rodders
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
MBTGOG
The_Hound_of_Harrow
Standulstermen
Notch
Cymroglan
36 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 6 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be? appletini

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Thu 23 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 6 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by mickyt Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:35 pm

Funny all this talk about an Ipad. the IT guys in here launched a new service and had a bar of chocolate for everyone with a golden ticket in it to win an IPAD 2. the girl that sits next to me just won it.

mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 6 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by mickyt Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:37 pm

red_stag wrote:Munsty:

Toshiba NB305-10F

Battery - 11 hours
Price: €300 (I got it cheaper actually when it was on offer)
OS - Windows 7
Screen - 10.1 inches

Only criticism (which I knew about in advance) is that there are loads of "features" which are useless and take up a lot of memory. These can be deleted with no problem at all.

It was my Toshiba that had the 6-7 hours on my work one as well. they must be good for the battery life.
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:38 pm

Sad news about Darbyshire. It's a terrible disease with no way of stopping it. It took my aunt last year. It must have been terrible fro someone like Paul who was always so active not to be able to do the thing he loved. RIP.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

When I'm at home I normally have it plugged in Mick with the battery out of it. I take care to preserve the battery life. I've had it a few months now and I can comfortably get 9 hours even when it has heavy use.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

but you do use it without it plugged in and get the 9 hours out of it ye?

yeh it's all about perserving it. what helps my ipad to other lads that have them is that they keep charging theres when its not needed.

if you let them go dead from time to time it does no harm for it at all.
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:43 pm

mickyt wrote:but you do use it without it plugged in and get the 9 hours out of it ye?

yeh it's all about perserving it. what helps my ipad to other lads that have them is that they keep charging theres when its not needed.

if you let them go dead from time to time it does no harm for it at all.

As in if I am at home in my room I will have laptop plugged in but the battery will not be in it. It will be in my drawer. I can use it indefinitely like this. If I want to use it on the go I will charge battery fully and let it run dead. This is usually 9-10 hours. Also every now and then if I'm not on the go I use it with battery just to keep it active.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

I hope the Musnter players are given some freedom to grieve for Darbyshire. Rushing them straight into the Irish camps could be a bad idea.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
hughie1986 wrote:so much more likable that federer

Agree with that, Hughie. It's not that I hate Federer, but let's just say he didn't do himself any favours turning up as defending champion at Wimbledon a few years ago wearing a white suit with gold writing on it Doh

Couldn't agree more
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:47 pm

I would imagine they will be Stag. should be fine.

and that's a good way to treat a battery. the fact that the laptop is smaller doesn't do your battery life any harm.

so to sum up, this has all been a euphemism and you were trying to tell us you have a small Pork sword but the stamina of an ox. or have I picked this up wrong?
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:48 pm

What's the difference between a Notebook and a lap-top anyway apart from one looks very feminine?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:51 pm

by the way, the system changed pen is to Pork sword hahaha

Stag, there is no difference. Laptops had to be called Notebooks because people were sueing companies after burning their legs on a hot laptop because the name suggested it could sit on their laps.

so my understanding is that's why they are now called note books
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

10.1" - THATS SMALL!!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

Micky twasn't me who asked about the notebook/laptop thing.

As for the euphemism its basically my way of saying that Peter Stringer is gonna have a stormer of a World Cup.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

Most 'laptops' will have a built-in disk drive unit, most Notebooks do not.

Also, as MickyT pointed out. some manufacturers use the term Notebook because their Laptop computer generate too much heat to actually use it on your lap Rolling Eyes
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:03 pm

Sorry Stag, I keep doing that today for some reason.

my bad. it was meant for Munsty. although there is another reason and Penfro has pointed out.

Rava, good point.. Wink
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:07 pm

In other sad news Clarence "Big Man" Clemons, sax legend and pivotal member of the E street Band also passed away last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXETNl3ue8k

There is a darkness on the edge of town tonight
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

Morning all from a thunderstorm-drenched Chicago - tucking into my very own eggegg Benedict - best thing about travelling IMO, the never-ending quest for the perfect Benedict.

Would be good to hear what some of the English regs make of the provisional squad anouncement - any surprise omissions or inclusions?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:12 pm

Pete, is that not the difference between a lApril and NETbook rather than between a laptop and a NOTEbook?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:14 pm

Hughie, yeh it was like Friday or Saturday when he died wasn't it?

Morning AS. I am thinking of going to the "Windy Apple" my self soon.

would be interested to hear your thoughts.
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

Yeah Saturday T, his sax solos were amazing
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:19 pm

I have a netbook, which is a smaller laptop that doesn't have a hard drive. I don't know what a notebook is. Well I do, it's a small pad of paper, but I don't know what a computer notebook is.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:21 pm

James O'Connor explaining his decision to leave the Force and join the Rebels: ''I want what's best for myself and building my rugby brand.''

Hmmm, does that make James Haskell a trend-setter?

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

Lucky,

Basically a notebook and laptop are exactly the same. The only reason for the difference is (as MickyT points out) that the word laptop indicates it is safe to use on your lap.

Laptops are meant to be used on flat surfaces so as to keep the fan vents open and lots of companies are changing their terminology as a result. I work with Sony Vaio at the minute and thats our approach to it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:22 pm

Ha, Lucky I'm used to being ignored. I did think the McIlroy nickname might have warranted mentioning even if people thought it was naff. I thought my rugby transfer was pretty big news too Wink

Dreamer, it's sorted kind of now. Nothing today, but working at some point during the week (from tomorrow on). Going to be a slow week.

Sad about Darbyshire. I'm sure those who know him in the Ireland squad will be allowed time to grieve.

Off to do some weights, then try out the runkeeper app again (awesome if any of you run/walk/cycle).

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:23 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:and building my rugby brand.''

Oh dear Rolling Eyes
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:24 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Off to do some weights, then try out the runkeeper app again (awesome if any of you run/walk/cycle).

Whats that then?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:25 pm

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop for my birthday. The one I've got now is about 6 years old, and it's really struggling bless it. It only lasts about half hour now if the charger isn't plugged in.

Going to have a look online with my Mam on the weekend to see which one I'll get, coz my parents are going to be wonderful and give me money towards it for my birthday Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

hughie1986 wrote:In other sad news Clarence "Big Man" Clemons, sax legend and pivotal member of the E street Band also passed away last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXETNl3ue8k

There is a darkness on the edge of town tonight

there is a thread about it in the music section:

https://www.606v2.com/t7485-rip-clarence-clemons

You guys should get out of the pub more!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

I think that's slightly out of context a little Kiwi/Stag.

I read the full interview he gave on that and basically he was just looking for assurances that the Force were building something.

Force also offered him less money than his current contract. he wants to build his career and wants to be part of a successful team. I think it's a sad indication of the Force's plans for the future that he feels he has a better chance getting that from a team still in it's infancy.
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:27 pm

Sorry Micky, I read it in Peter Fitzsimons' column here so definitely got it out of context.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm

Actually I see that the Musnter team were informed about it while out cycling to raise money for his illness. There was a cycle from Cork to Limerick yesterday and the Munster team are going Limerick to Roscrea today. Bet they are seriously motivated on this cycle now.

Dreamer - think about what you want from your laptop. I don't really want mine for heavy computer games or DVDs or loads of music/movie downloads. Just internet browsing, using things like Word, Exel and Powerpoint and that kind of thing.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:33 pm

Stag - I'd want it for music/watching sport and then just browing the internet. Will obviously want things like Word and Excel. Don't really play too many computer games so doubt that'll factor in too much. I don't want anything super hi-tech at all, just something simple and easy to use that isn't too expensive, then I'll be happy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyt Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

I would suggest getting a lead though that transfers the screen on to your telly. its very handy.

I gave my old one to Mickado & I think they used it in his.

I used to have mine on the 37inch for browsing the net or watching YouTube Clips etc.

it's handy I found and a cheap option
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:41 pm

For storing music (if you download loads) Dreamer I'd recommend an external hard disk. It will allow you save space on the computer. Getting the right graphics card will be the priority if your want to watch high speed things like sports. My computer isn't suited at all to watching streaming.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:43 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I'm thinking about getting a new laptop for my birthday. The one I've got now is about 6 years old, and it's really struggling bless it. It only lasts about half hour now if the charger isn't plugged in.

Going to have a look online with my Mam on the weekend to see which one I'll get, coz my parents are going to be wonderful and give me money towards it for my birthday Smile

I posted a link further up of my current laptop. It does everything you want to do unless you're a very serious gamer, desktop publisher or anything that it is very heavy on graphics and CPU.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

red_stag wrote:For storing music (if you download loads) Dreamer I'd recommend an external hard disk. It will allow you save space on the computer. Getting the right graphics card will be the priority if your want to watch high speed things like sports. My computer isn't suited at all to watching streaming.

I have never even heard of one of those before! Seriously not all that clued up on laptops/pc's etc. The one I've got now is actually v good at streaming things, it just takes a little while for it to get going, bless it. The external hard disk is a good idea though, been thinking about getting one of those for a while actually.

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 20 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
I have never even heard of one of those before! Seriously not all that clued up on laptops/pc's etc. The one I've got now is actually v good at streaming things, it just takes a little while for it to get going, bless it. The external hard disk is a good idea though, been thinking about getting one of those for a while actually.

If anyone is looking to get an external hard drive, try and get one with USB 2.0 instead of USB 2.0 as it is over 10 times faster, but it only works at that speed when it's plugged into a USB 3.0 socket.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:01 pm

Dreamer its just the part of the computer that makes the video quality faster and better.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:15 pm

Dreamer: -
1. Buy a new battery for the one you have, and 2. Get someone (Who knows what they are doing) to look it over. Might be all you need is a clean up and maybe a bit of extra storage space. Could be a lot less money than a new one.
Also don't store anything on your L/Top Hard Drive that you don't use very often. Transfer to a PC or to an external as Stag suggested.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

Actually for any of you that use your laptop connected directly to the mains then you should remove the battery altogether.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:25 pm

Rav,

How do I remove my battery? I think the battery is phooked anyway.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:26 pm

They are great things the external storage devices. I keep all pictures, word documents and stuff like that on mine and the absolutely vital ones I have a 2nd copy on my laptop.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Rav,

How do I remove my battery? I think the battery is phooked anyway.

Munsty, underneath the laptop you'll see the battery. it probably has adjustable sliders that you can toggle and then slide out your battery.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

There should be a pair of clips holding your battery in there.

I never took mine out and it’s completely goosed now. I barely get 1 minute out of it. Hence the desire to replace it.

It’s grand other than the battery, the heat, and the J key is missing!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:28 pm

Rava wrote:Actually for any of you that use your laptop connected directly to the mains then you should remove the battery altogether.

Most laptop batteries are nearly £100, so to me there is no point putting a new battery in a 6 year old laptop, much bettter to invest the money in a new and much quicker laptop, my current one was £299 with 3 year warranty, it also has a HD LCD and reasonable graphics card, 250 Gb hard drive and dual layer DVD rewriter amongst other specs far superior to a laptop that is 6 years old.

I agree with removing the battery, I hardly have mine in at all.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:35 pm

I never even knew you could remove the battery Doh

Rava - cheers for the advice, but I really do need to get a new one. My screen's completley on the blink and I've got a massive crack appearing on the back of it! (it took a bit of battering when I was at uni I will confess).

I've already had a look online and there does appear to be a few good deals out there. We shall see Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:48 pm

Dreamer take the time to do a bit of research - what you want compared to what is on offer.

A small problem I am having at minute is I am trying to upgrade memory for my laptop but I can't seem to find a suitable memory upgrade for it in Limerick.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

red_stag wrote:Dreamer take the time to do a bit of research - what you want compared to what is on offer.

A small problem I am having at minute is I am trying to upgrade memory for my laptop but I can't seem to find a suitable memory upgrade for it in Limerick.

Have you tried Crucial ? They stock lots of memory and are cheap and deliver very quickly.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:54 pm

I took it into a dealer here and they asked my model number. They said "oh yea here it is" and did it for me. And then they said the memory type was incomptible. I've made sure it can be upgraded from 1GB to 2GB and it can be done. It didn't work in the shop though and I just don't know enough about them.

Last edited by red_stag on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Mon 20 Jun 2011, 3:58 pm

Use the Crucial system scanner and it will tell you what your laptop is, what memory it has got and how much you can put in it.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next