The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon - After Round 1

5 posters

Go down

Wimbledon - After Round 1 Empty Wimbledon - After Round 1

Post by dummy_half Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:50 am

So we are virtually at the end of Round 1 of the Championship (and amazingly aren't waiting for Isner v Mahut to go into a second and third day) - what has it told us so far?

Men's draw:
Top 4 all looked sharp after slightly slow starts to their first round matches. No big shocks like Federer being taken to 5 sets as last year, althoguh Andy will be a little disappointed that whereas the other top players took most of a set to assert their dominance, it took him until well into the 2nd.

Match of the round - Verdasco beating Stepanek 9-7 in the 5th

No really big shocks, but the following seeds went as follows:
Cilic losing to Ljubicic - no big surprise given Looby is in better form and only just missed out on the seeded spots.
Tipsarevic withdrawing injured v Karlovic - unlucky for Tipsy who has been in good form
Dolgopoov losing to Forehando Gonzalez - encouraging for Gonzalez after a year destroyed by injuries
Davydenko losing to Tomic - hadn't seen that one. Maybe Tomic starting to come good on the supposed potential?
Bellucci losing to Schuettler - no big surprise on grass.

Women's draw (with a few matches outstanding):
A couple of big names going out in Stosur and Jankovic, but neither would really have been expected to challenge for the title. Dominant winds from Wozniacki, Sharapova, Ivanovic (what happened with Oudin - a couple of years ago the bright young thing, now losing 6-0 6-1 in R1 of a slam). Venus looked pretty good (other than the outfit), but Serena understandably rusty in being taken to 3 sets by Rezai.

Don't think we are any closer to knowing who is likely to win, other than that it is unlikely to be Serena.

Interesting match from a British perspective in R2 - Baltacha against Peng. Both have been in pretty good form in the warm up grass court events.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - After Round 1 Empty Re: Wimbledon - After Round 1

Post by pauline1981 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:59 am

very boring so far

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 10:11 am

Great write up Dummy half, really liked to see forehando Gonzalez coming back. One of my favorites, also i thought stepanek would upset verdasco, well Verdasco showed a lot of fight in that match. As for the top 4 Novak made Chardy look really poor by serving a whopping 84 percent of his first serves in. For him to win this thing I think he is going to have to average 70 plus first serve percentage.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Wed 22 Jun 2011, 10:19 am

Has there even been a past top 5 player as ineffective in slams as Davydenko has been? Tomic might be coming of age. Cilic was for me just hyped up, he is not getting younger.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jun 2011, 11:07 am

Agree about cilic, totally hyped on the basis of one good showing at the AUS open. Erratic, poor movement, poor temperament; he'll never be more than a borderline top 10 player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed 22 Jun 2011, 11:26 am

I am not sure what's going on with Cilic but he did more than one showing at the AO. He was younger yet had teh game to rival with Delpo and Murray. It just happens that a player goes through a crisis, loses the edge or get niggling injuries preventing him to play his best.

It doesn't mean he might not come back with a vengence. Certainly something stopped his ascendancy but look at Djoko...many on 606 thought he was also finished (not me)...though Cilic is no djoko!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down