The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling 'Mark'.

+9
robbo277
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
emack2
Taylorman
red_stag
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
wales606
Notch
Cymroglan
13 posters

Go down

Calling 'Mark'. Empty Calling 'Mark'.

Post by Cymroglan Sat 25 Jun - 8:52

Calling a 'mark' as we are all well aware a "MARK" can be called inside own 22-metre or in-goal area
My question is would extending the area that a Mark could be called help in limiting the aerial ping pong that we often see these days.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Calling 'Mark'. Empty Re: Calling 'Mark'.

Post by Notch Sat 25 Jun - 8:54

Has that problem not really gone away?

I think discouraging sides from kicking will limit the variety of the game. I like the current balance.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Jun - 8:55

Are you stuck in 2009? Aerial pingpong is dead....sort of

Now scrums....
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 25 Jun - 8:56

Notch wrote:Has that problem not really gone away?

I think discouraging sides from kicking will limit the variety of the game. I like the current balance.

Or it will encourage them to kick a bit more intelligently as in kick into space.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 25 Jun - 9:02

Increases the penalties for not getting it right though. It devalues the chase and makes the up and under redundant. I would miss both of those things.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 25 Jun - 9:06

The up and under wont be redundant don't forget that calling a Mark is useless unless you have caught the ball in the first place,
So a well placed up and under will still give the attacking side a chance of getting there first.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 25 Jun - 9:10

Obviously you want to win the ball, but part of an up and under is if you can get there second but in greater numbers you'll likely win the ball or force a penalty for holding on. It just makes it a lower percentage option for me.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 25 Jun - 9:11

Could increase the use of the grubber though.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 25 Jun - 9:11

wales606 wrote:Are you stuck in 2009? Aerial pingpong is dead....sort of

Now scrums....
I totally agree - lets call Mark in scrums

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 25 Jun - 9:17

Notch wrote:Obviously you want to win the ball, but part of an up and under is if you can get there second but in greater numbers you'll likely win the ball or force a penalty for holding on. It just makes it a lower percentage option for me.

What I'm trying to say, clumsily, is that if you don't win the ball from the up and under you can exert a significant amount of pressure on the breakdown- if they can mark it and you don't win the ball and you give them a great chance to win some serious territory. Remember they could have a mark from just inside the halfway line.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 25 Jun - 9:43

Cymroglan wrote: Calling a 'mark' as we are all well aware a "MARK" can be called inside own 22-metre or in-goal area
My question is would extending the area that a Mark could be called help in limiting the aerial ping pong that we often see these days.

Graham Henry was an advocate of this. He suggested it be anywhere within your own half. To be honest I don't see the need for it.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Jun - 10:08

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
wales606 wrote:Are you stuck in 2009? Aerial pingpong is dead....sort of

Now scrums....
I totally agree - lets call Mark in scrums

Great idea, as soon as the Hooker has hooked the ball, the SH shouts "mark" and the side is awarded a free kick...

Right, thats scrums sorted then...what next?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Jun - 10:21

Hi ya,
I agree. Increase it to half way. Rugby is a game that was desiged to run with the ball in hand. Kicking started to disappear last year but now it is back and will feature strongly this world cup.

I dont mind the ground or grubber kicks and short chips but continuous kick for the opposition to make an error just makes it a 50 50 scenario where luck more than skill is required.

My theory is, if you want to kick good posession away, little advantage should come of it. You have 15 players that are standing there able, willing and eager to run the ball and what do they find... balls kicked to the other team.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 25 Jun - 15:26

Revert to the old Mark law,any where on the field for a fair catch,Place[with placer]chargeable or Drop at goal allowed.
That law enabled people like Mark Nichols,and Don Clarke win test matches v SA[1928] and England[ 1963]

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 25 Jun - 16:57

Did Don Clarke go on the 63 tour. Wasnt aware of that. Must have been his last I know Ian clarke dropped a goal from a mark for the baas baas vs AB's on that tour.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Jun - 20:45

To sort out the crooked throws at lineouts

The ball may be thrown in by the teams hooker in any direction wished.

Once the ball has left the hookers hands, the fist lock forward to shout "mark" shall win his side a free kick

Any lock forward caught shouting "mark" before the ball has left the hookers hands shall concede a penalty against his team.

Any team may nominate one backrow player to also be allowed to shout "mark" during the lineout.

This law will also prevent injuries from people jumping aroung in the air and falling down.

......Lineout solved, whats next.....
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 25 Jun - 20:52

Wales606, laughing

Any players called Mark are going to get really annoyed. As is Mark Lawrence when he refs ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 25 Jun - 20:54

If you wish to start a topic on ways to change the scrum and lineouts then I'm sure many would be interested in the discussion and that includes myself.
But this thread is all about extending the area that a mark could be called.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jun - 21:00

I think the calling of 'Mark' should be replaced by a tongue twister to make it a bit more interesting.

Try shouting "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers" as a Samoan bears down on you Shocked

Seriously though I don't think there's any need for a change in the laws. Ping pong seems to have disappeared (by and large) and I'm not keen on fiddling with the laws unless there's a real need.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 25 Jun - 21:01

Fair point Cymro,

(sorry it's Saturday morning and my team's just won so I'm in a light mood. Once I get back from my 6km run later otoh Wink )

I definitely wouldn't like to see marks allowed in the attacking half - unless you were banned from taking a drop-goal attempt from a mark. Actually, can you take a droppie from a mark any more? Morne Steyn et al would love to have a crack at a 55 metre drop-goal from a mark.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 25 Jun - 21:31

You probably can still have a drop goal from a mark, but with the current rules you'd be belting it from your own 22!

I think you can have a shot at a drop goal from a standard free kick or penalty as well.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 25 Jun - 22:38

Don Clarke was a trialist for 1953-4 tour of europe,first choice full back/goal kicker 1956-64 inclusive.
Toured 1963-4 pulled hamstring during Wales test but carried on to the end of the match.Injury effected his goal kicking until the Barbarians match when he kicked eveyrthing.
I was in the crowd at Bournemouth versus a Southern Counties side where the
all Blacks struggled to win 9-6 the worst match of the tour.He started as the Goal kicker but was taken off.His touch returned to him in his last season 1964 versus Australia.
England made a short Tour in 1963 ,but it was made up of whoever was avaliable.The Score in the 2Nd test was 6-6.he claimed a Mark took a placed kick from his own 10 metre line.Kicked a 65 metre goal to win the match[He is also credited with a placed goal from a Mark versus Australia.
One of 5 Brothers who played for Waikato,doug,Ian,Graeme ,Brian and Don.
Ian toured in 1953 and 1963 tours first All Black to do so 10 years apart.
Capped for the Barbarians versus the All Blacks[1964] dropped a goal from a mark.
Incidentaly Don Clarke had all 4 cartilages form his knees removed during his career.so considering his goal kicking was pretty amazing.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 25 Jun - 22:49

You can't take a shot at goal from a mark. It is a free kick. The same way if you kick to touch the other team gets the throw in.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 25 Jun - 23:34

But you can drop goal from a free kick, can't you?

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 25 Jun - 23:49

No
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 26 Jun - 0:07

Really? You can drop-goal from a penalty though can't you?

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 26 Jun - 0:15

Yea you can from a penalty kick but not a freekick. In fact if you get a Freekick and take a scrum you aren't allowed to simply win the scrum, pass it back to flyhalf and take a drop goal.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 26 Jun - 0:25

Can you drop goal directly from a scrum which was conceded after a knock-on, or does that rule apply to all scrums? And what about lineouts?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 26 Jun - 0:30

Notch no problem after a knock on. Just scrums after a freekick. Lineout is never an issue.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 26 Jun - 0:55

Just for the law reference that Stag is talking about.

21.6 SCORING FROM A FREE KICK
(a) A goal cannot be scored from a free kick.
(b) The team awarded a free kick cannot score a dropped goal until after the ball next becomes dead, or until after an opponent has played or touched it, or has tackled the ball carrier. This restriction applies also to a scrum taken instead of a free kick

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 26 Jun - 0:59

And also Law 18 says that a free kick is given for a mark. I don't have exact wording now I'm afraid.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sun 26 Jun - 1:10

Cheers Stag and Thunor. Looks like I've put up a red herring there, sorry all. Back to the main mark debate it is then ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 26 Jun - 3:07

That used to be the law, you could call a Mark anywhere. Llandybie won the Tovali cup at Stradey in the 60's when their second row called a Mark from a drop out and dropped a goal from the resulting free kick to win the match 3-0.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 26 Jun - 11:13

Calling a mark and being able to drop a goal from anywhere has its merits if you wanted to remove kicking, or bad kicking, altogether.

It leaves less room for missing touch or up and unders where pressure on the catcher rather than contesting the ball would be removed.

Trouble is it changes the face of the game. Increases the need for catching, drop kicking skills across the team etc which explains why prop Ian Clarke was able to do it- though having a dead eye kicker for a brother would have helped.

It would also increase the contact area where players would be prone to injury and fatigue- running the ball all day, and the lesser kicking in the early sxv matches could explain part of the high injury toll.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 26 Jun - 21:04

The classic Mark law was in the era when Rugby Union was a winter sport in both hemispheres.The ball heavy leather ,Stadiums were all open.fielding an
up and under.
In wet weather with a pack of forwards rushing down on you took nerve,to catch,standing still,simultaneosly shouting "Mark " was`nt as easy as it sounds.
Incidentally ALL the Clarke Brothers were skilful kickers,Doug the utility back.
Brian and Graeme the Locks as well as Don and Ian.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 26 Jun - 22:37

I could make my peace with allowing the mark anywhere within your own half. I just don't see the need for it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sun 26 Jun - 22:48

I don't really see the need for extending the mark location. (Sorry probably not the best way to say it) I don't see that the ariel ping pong is such a problem now.

Taylorman i think the opposite to you regarding kicking. Rugby football, when it began, used to be all about the kicking. I'm amazed that you'd say otherwise. Being able to pick the ball up was one part of the game and it distinguished it from football. But the only way to score though was by kicking a goal. You had to have players that were good at kicking to win. Running with the ball was part of the game but would never win you a match without a good kicker. (That's partly because of what scrums were like too and how many there were.)

Scrums were, as you probably all know, football games in the middle of the rugby match. Men could kick but not pick up the ball once it was thrown in. Ten men competed for it from each side (the first ten to get to the spot). Pushing was allowed but binding didn't exist. The word scrummage i heard came from the word "skirmish" . (Football at the time was a lot more physical too) Srums typically determined which side won. And srums were all about football skills.

Rugby as i understood it used to be a game for forwards with good football skills. Don't get me wrong, i'm delighted that good rugby now is considered to be skillful passing and running, it's much more exiting to watch, but you've got to respect the roots of the sport.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 27 Jun - 6:56

I'm going to get all nostalgic here and wish that we could revert to the old rules of the catcher must have both feet on the ground, one heel in the pitch etc. I understand that the laws may have been changed for safety reasons but now the laws so heavily favour the defender that it has taken away from a good old fashioned Garryowen

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down