The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win?

+27
lydian
Bright_hsd
Wooffie
paulscholes
Faust
czaree
michael_o
graf_the_greatest
Josiah Maiestas
kemet
Simple_Analyst
Tenez
yummymummy
gboycottnut
barrystar
HM Murdock
noleisthebest
wow
Davie
Mad for Chelsea
ebar86
Masked Magician
socal1976
Tom_____
sportslover
legendkillar
luciusmann
31 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Will do you think will win if Djokovic & nadal play the Wimbledon final?

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 23 ]
Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 46

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? - Page 2 Empty Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win?

Post by luciusmann Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

Now that it looks like Djokovic's biggest threat Federer is out, it looks like the most anticipated final (besides Federer vs Nadal) is going to happen, Djokovic vs Nadal. Who will win? All the signs look set for a brilliant match.

The only thing I'll predict is a 5 set match, but who do you think will win?

Although it's a hard call and although Djokovic has had his wobbles, I'll put him down as marginal favourite. What do everyone else think?

Djokovic did say not too long after his Australian Open win earlier in the year that he would be targeting Wimbledon, will he take it?

Last edited by luciusmann on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? - Page 2 Empty Re: Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win?

Post by Masked Magician Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 pm

socal1976 wrote:Well, MM, I think Nadal isn't going to get much chance to volley effectively against Novak. Novak has proven that he is the best returner in the game, having led the ATP in 2010 and so far in 2011. He will get to Nadal's serve if they play in a final, he might lose his serve as well; but one thing will be for sure he will get to Rafa's serve if they play each other. Even when he lost to Rafa regularly it was his serve, fitness, or confidence that has let him down; I don't think that will be an issue for him this time around.
Returning stats mean nothing in a Slam final.

You drone on about Djokovic's supposed masterful returning skills, where were they in the US Open final? No where to be seen.

Djokovic can beat Nadal only in best of 3, come Sunday Nadal will have all the answers.

Nadal knows how to win proper majors, not only the inferior Australian Open that Djokovic has won twice.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win? - Page 2 Empty Re: Djokovic Vs Nadal Final - Who Will Win?

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 pm

"Djokovic can beat Nadal only in best of 3, come Sunday Nadal will have all the answers."

It will have to b in straights then
Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Masked Magician wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Well, MM, I think Nadal isn't going to get much chance to volley effectively against Novak. Novak has proven that he is the best returner in the game, having led the ATP in 2010 and so far in 2011. He will get to Nadal's serve if they play in a final, he might lose his serve as well; but one thing will be for sure he will get to Rafa's serve if they play each other. Even when he lost to Rafa regularly it was his serve, fitness, or confidence that has let him down; I don't think that will be an issue for him this time around.
Returning stats mean nothing in a Slam final.

You drone on about Djokovic's supposed masterful returning skills, where were they in the US Open final? No where to be seen.

Djokovic can beat Nadal only in best of 3, come Sunday Nadal will have all the answers.

Nadal knows how to win proper majors, not only the inferior Australian Open that Djokovic has won twice.
Is this CP?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:17 am

Yeh, I thought the same wow, it reads as if it's CA or SA, who knows, the style of writing is very similar. Contains the same dismissive tone, you can't miss that!

Besides, who's to say that in a final between these two that it wouldn't be 3 tight sets (with Djokovic winning). A slam is a slam, highly objectionable to call one inferior to another, they all carry equal points, maybe not all equal prestige but that's built over time and the Australian is the newest of the 4 slams, hence the lesser prestige just as Wimbledon carries the most because it's the oldest with the most traditions.

It's almost as if Djokovic has been missing for the last 6 months (to MM @ least) to be so highly dismissive of a player who's beaten Nadal 4 times this year, on hard court, on clay, everywhere they've gone so far. Five sets might be a different situation but not if Nadal can't stretch it out to 5 sets. If it's straight sets, Djokovic wins. I sense a resentment (or denial) of Djokovic's success against Nadal but then again, if they have a face off and Djokovic wins, there'll be no where to hide, not the it's not a proper slam, or it's not 5 sets or he flops in majors to Nadal. But......I do expect a certain word beginning with 'i' might creep in....

Last edited by luciusmann on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated)

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:28 am

MM, a very poor post, returning serve doesn't mean anything in a grandslam final? And you keep mentioning a match back 2010, how about the 4 times Djokovic has beaten Nadal this year. By the way returning and serve both pretty much determine who wins a grandslam final or any match. We heard this all before; Novak couldn't beat Nadal in a final, till this year when he did. He got lucky he wouldn't be able to beat him twice in a row, until Miami where he did just that. Then we heard that Novak wouldn't be able to beat Nadal on clay, and he did. Then we heard well that was due to the altitude at Madrid, again until Novak beat him at Rome as well. If Novak can win 4 straight sets against Nadal on clay I am sure he can win 3 out of 5 against him on grass.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:56 pm

socal1976 wrote:MM, a very poor post, returning serve doesn't mean anything in a grandslam final? And you keep mentioning a match back 2010, how about the 4 times Djokovic has beaten Nadal this year. By the way returning and serve both pretty much determine who wins a grandslam final or any match. We heard this all before; Novak couldn't beat Nadal in a final, till this year when he did. He got lucky he wouldn't be able to beat him twice in a row, until Miami where he did just that. Then we heard that Novak wouldn't be able to beat Nadal on clay, and he did. Then we heard well that was due to the altitude at Madrid, again until Novak beat him at Rome as well. If Novak can win 4 straight sets against Nadal on clay I am sure he can win 3 out of 5 against him on grass.
Keep wishing.

Biggest match of their career Nadal destroyed Djokovic on his favored surface.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:58 pm

And yet Djokovic has destroyed Nadal on his favoured surface.

Doesn't matter whether it is 3 or 5 sets. Djokovic has Nadal's number.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:02 pm

legendkillar wrote:And yet Djokovic has destroyed Nadal on his favoured surface.

Doesn't matter whether it is 3 or 5 sets. Djokovic has Nadal's number.
Where was Djokovic when Nadal won his 6th French Open?

Answer: at home licking his wounds.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Where was Nadal when Djokovic won his 2nd Australian Open?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:04 pm

MM

Being a Magician!

Can't you make yourself disappear thumbsup

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:06 pm

legendkillar wrote:Where was Nadal when Djokovic won his 2nd Australian Open?
Injured, in addition Djokovic's best surface.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:08 pm

sportslover wrote:MM

Being a Magician!

Can't you make yourself disappear thumbsup
If I where you I'd be more worried about Murray losing, than myself.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Masked Magician wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Where was Nadal when Djokovic won his 2nd Australian Open?
Injured, in addition Djokovic's best surface.

Pathetic excuse.

I could argue Nadal's favoured surface was the reason Djokovic wasn't in the final, but I won't.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:19 pm

I can't contain my happiness as Djoko is going to dethrone as new no. 1 and that will give him immense confidence if he is going to play against him.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:25 pm

I got to say, even though I'm a Fed fan, I do enjoy watching Djokovic play. If Nadal makes the final, what a cracker we got on our hands, even if it's Murray, even better!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Wow, as a Novak fan I am absolutely ecstatic right now, Can you say new world #1, it sounds really beautiful.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:38 pm

socal1976 wrote:Wow, as a Novak fan I am absolutely ecstatic right now, Can you say new world #1, it sounds really beautiful.

COME ON! king IS GOING TO GET ANOINTED!

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Tsonga won't make the final, so I'm right about half of my prediction so far...

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Unless Djoko is overwhelmed by nerves like last year v Berdych, Nadal won't win that final. No chance.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Djokovic makes the final, I agree, even if Nadal makes the final, Djokovic wins. He'd make a worthy champion too.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:11 pm

I think Novak will just get into Rafa's serve all day if they play in the final, Nadal can break Novak's serve as well but I think Novak will put more pressure on Nadal's serve.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:22 pm

luciusmann wrote:Djokovic makes the final, I agree, even if Nadal makes the final, Djokovic wins. He'd make a worthy champion too.

And should Nadal make the finals and win, what would you do? Drink more bitter juice and cut your wrist? Whistle

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Simple Analyst, lets not rain on anyone's parade, Nadal still has quite a task in front of him, he certainly is a great champion. But I like Novak's chances if he plays Nadal in the final. I actually think it will be tougher for him if he plays Andy with 70 million people rooting him on that still can get to Novak sometimes.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:25 pm

It's tennis SA, take a chill pill.

For Djokovic, win or loss, he's still No.1, so I don't think I'm going to be fussed if he loses and nor will I.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:34 pm

If Nadal beats Murray today, he has to be the strong favourite for the title. Rafa has been to the final four times, winning twice. Rafa also has nerves of steel and will not give Novak an inch on any of the points.

Novak is going to have to do EVERYTHING perfectly and NOT suffer from anxiety if he is to have a chance.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Oh i'm chill. I'm one guy who enjoys my tennis and don't stress over uncertain future tennis results. That's what happens when you enjoy the game. People forget that, getting moral victories on a tennis forum does not make the actual result.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Kemet, I actually think Nadal would be an easier matchup in the final than Andy. Not that either player will be easy. I just feel like Novak has a lot of confidence about his matchup with Nadal and that maybe after 4 straight losses to Novak that Rafa has Novak in his head a little. Tsonga did Novak a favor by getting rid of Roger and I think that while Nadal is sure to be a huge test at wimby he is a 2 time champion, the game is about matchups and I feel that the new novak matches up well against rafa. In the past Nadal did a number on Novak because Novak's serve would fail him, his belief would fail him, or his fitness will fail him. Going into the final I don't see any of these three dangers being present for Novak.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:22 pm

socal1976 wrote:Kemet, I actually think Nadal would be an easier matchup in the final than Andy. Not that either player will be easy. I just feel like Novak has a lot of confidence about his matchup with Nadal and that maybe after 4 straight losses to Novak that Rafa has Novak in his head a little. Tsonga did Novak a favor by getting rid of Roger and I think that while Nadal is sure to be a huge test at wimby he is a 2 time champion, the game is about matchups and I feel that the new novak matches up well against rafa. In the past Nadal did a number on Novak because Novak's serve would fail him, his belief would fail him, or his fitness will fail him. Going into the final I don't see any of these three dangers being present for Novak.

Points taken. Howver, the key is how Novak handles the occassion. This is probably just has as important, if not more so than the technical aspects of the matchup.

These points would be moot if Murray beats Nadal of course.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:47 pm

socal1976 wrote:Kemet, I actually think Nadal would be an easier matchup in the final than Andy. Not that either player will be easy. I just feel like Novak has a lot of confidence about his matchup with Nadal and that maybe after 4 straight losses to Novak that Rafa has Novak in his head a little. Tsonga did Novak a favor by getting rid of Roger and I think that while Nadal is sure to be a huge test at wimby he is a 2 time champion, the game is about matchups and I feel that the new novak matches up well against rafa. In the past Nadal did a number on Novak because Novak's serve would fail him, his belief would fail him, or his fitness will fail him. Going into the final I don't see any of these three dangers being present for Novak.
Murray would be a cakewalk for Djokovic.

Murray lacks bottle in Slam finals.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:49 pm

Kemet, I think at this stage in Novak's career he is a hardened veteran of the tour. He has won grandslams, won year end master's, won the Davis cup, medaled in the olympics. He has played in every pressure packed situation there is for a tennis player over the years and I doubt that he will be overawed by the situation or surroundings. Novak 2008 and 09 maybe, this Novak with his serve being as consistent as it is I think will be fine.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:51 pm

MM, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on Murray being cake for Novak. I think Andy's variety and his ability to return Novak's serve with aggression actually gives Novak a lot of problems. Murray keeps giving himself chances at grandslams and he is going to win some of them. The first one is always the hardest, but I wouldn't want to be Novak playing on center court trying to deny the first british champion in 75 years. The final is going to be like a davis cup road match against Murray and I think at best it would be a coin toss situation for either player. I think Novak would prefer Nadal actually.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:56 pm

socal1976 wrote:MM, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on Murray being cake for Novak. I think Andy's variety and his ability to return Novak's serve with aggression actually gives Novak a lot of problems. Murray keeps giving himself chances at grandslams and he is going to win some of them. The first one is always the hardest, but I wouldn't want to be Novak playing on center court trying to deny the first british champion in 75 years. The final is going to be like a davis cup road match against Murray and I think at best it would be a coin toss situation for either player. I think Novak would prefer Nadal actually.
Sorry did you miss Australia?

Djokovic hammered Murray with ease.

I don't like Djokovic but he's won 7 titles this year including a Major and now reached his 8th final of 2011 -again another Major.

Djokovic has way too much for Murray

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:59 pm

The same argument could be said of Rafa, MM.
But Rafa is currently one set down.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Again, I am Novak fan won't argue with you that Novak is better than Andy, especially this year, no question. But tennis is not always about who is better generally, sometimes the other guy has an off day or the other guy has great days. Andy will have the benefit of playing in front of what should be a very favorable crowd and he will be playing Novak on his least favorite surface, although Novak is a good all court player. Novak can get at Andy's serve, and Andy can get at Novak's. Anything could happen. But I would be stunned if Andy does make the final, if the final is anywhere near as one sided as the AO final.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 pm

socal1976 wrote:Again, I am Novak fan won't argue with you that Novak is better than Andy, especially this year, no question. But tennis is not always about who is better generally, sometimes the other guy has an off day or the other guy has great days. Andy will have the benefit of playing in front of what should be a very favorable crowd and he will be playing Novak on his least favorite surface, although Novak is a good all court player. Novak can get at Andy's serve, and Andy can get at Novak's. Anything could happen. But I would be stunned if Andy does make the final, if the final is anywhere near as one sided as the AO final.
When does Djokovic have a bad day in 2011?

Roland Garros semi final? Federer was just too good IMO

Djokovic has the mental strength which Murray lacks IMO

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Y I Man wrote:The same argument could be said of Rafa, MM.
But Rafa is currently one set down.
about to become 1 set all Mr Y I Man

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:15 pm

Actually, MM, Novak had a horrible day at the FO semi. He played attrociously in the first two sets and still almost won that match. Roger played great in sets 1,2, and 4. Novak played great in sets 3 and 4. If the Novak of sets 3 and 4 showed up from the start of that match we would be talking about Novak riding a 50 match win streak right now. So it is quite possible that he doesn't get off the mark right in the final if murray makes it there, and frankly I think the new novak prefers his matchup with Rafa.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Socal

Come the final I think Nadal will win because he'll want to equal Borg's record of 3 Roland Garros + Wimbledon doubles.

In addition I think Nadal is the best grass court player in the World at present.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Novak has not had a bad day this year. He just experienced tremendous pressure.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Nitb, with all due repsect he had a horrible day at the FO semi, he missed so many easy balls the 1st two sets, when he came back and started to really play in sets 3 and 4 then it became a great match. But frankly, the streak, the layoff, and playing for the #1 got to Novak a little on that day. Who could blame him really. But we certainly didn't see anywhere near the best Novak in those first 2 sets.

MM, as for Nadal in the final, he may well beat Novak. There are no guarantees when playing a champion like Nadal in a grandslam final. But frankly i think there is a reason Novak has won the last 4 times they have played. And I think that reason is that in the past his serve would let him down when he played Nadal. It looks much more consistent right now. And on the return end, Novak has consistently been able to get at Nadal's serve (even in matches he has lost to Nadal due to his own serving woes) regardless of the surface. That will be the big difference on sunday.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:48 pm

See, I was proven completely correct, Djokovic Vs Nadal.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:50 pm

I think it's time for Djokovic to win his maiden Wimbledon. Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:57 pm

SA, what moral victories? I don't stress about tennis results, I just happened to predict correctly the two players who made the final. of course I had a good chance of getting it right, there was only 2 out of 4 to choose from. The only person who sounds bitter is you, perhaps your afraid of a Djokovic vs Nadal match up, but just enjoy the great tennis we got in store this Sunday. Now we can all talk seriously about what this match is going to be like, just like I been trying to do for the last few days but have had to talk about the semis instead (specifically Tsonga)!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:58 pm

From your lips to god's ears Josiah, would love to see Novak take home his first wimbeldon. I think we are going to see a great match from both players frankly. I think Nadal knows the challenge he is facing and is a great competitor and the defending champion. Novak doesn't need to worry about the streak or the number one ranking, and will basically come into the final playing with the casinos money so to speak. He has already gotten further than ever before at wimby and secured the #1 ranking. Therefore, tomorrow is almost like the a bonus round for him, although I am sure that he would prefer the wimbeldon crown to any other accolade right now.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Novak will play a way smarter tactical game than Andy did, clearly he enjoys the bigger the match more than Murray does (who gets too panicked), I fully hope for Novak to deliver on Sunday..Smile
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:04 pm

I think I'll should change my user name to mystic meg, I was right on the money here!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Pffffft

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by graf_the_greatest Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:08 pm

So Djokovic is No.1. Let's see if he's still at that position 1 year from now. Nadal and Federer have both held that position and won Grand Slams. It may be hard to get to No.1 but it's even harder to hold on to it!!!

graf_the_greatest

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:09 pm

If Nadal comes into net, he'll cause Djokovic problems.

Tsonga caused Djokovic problems at the net, but only when he chose the right moment.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:12 pm

luciusmann wrote:I think I'll should change my user name to mystic meg, I was right on the money here!

They were the favourites to win their encounters anyway

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next