The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should race stewards be more lenient?

Go down

Should race stewards be more lenient? Empty Should race stewards be more lenient?

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jul 2011, 7:19 pm

Well former world champion Jacques Villeneuve believes they should be.
Speaking to autosport.com he gave the following interview:

The Canadian says he did not think Lewis Hamilton was at fault during the Monaco Grand Prix, where the Briton was given a penalty for a clash with Felipe Massa.

And Villeneuve reckons drivers who hurt their own chances due to being too aggressive - like Hamilton in his crash with Pastor Maldonado in Monte Carlo - should not be punished more.

"Everybody blamed Hamilton at Monaco for the Massa thing when it was Massa who was at fault," said Villeneuve during an event in which Williams announced its new partnership with Renault.

"That's why aggressive driving, mistakes should not be punished, his move on Maldonado was bad but it was not on purpose. It was just stupid and it was a mistake."

"Luckily he didn't break his car and Maldonado crashed. Too bad, that's racing, next time it will happen to him, you shouldn't be penalised for that."

"That's racing, too bad, you have to let the drivers race. What you don't want is people putting other people in the wall on purpose, or being just stupid. That's what you have to avoid and that's what you should get penalised on."

The 1997 world champion said he did not expect the FIA to ask him to be a race steward, although he admitted he would enjoy the position.

"Sure, why not? But I would probably disagree with what most people are saying so I don't think I will be invited to do that."

Source: Autosport.com Click Here

Do you think the stewards need to be more lenient when it comes to aggressive driving, or are you happy with how the stewards call it?

Back to top Go down

Should race stewards be more lenient? Empty Re: Should race stewards be more lenient?

Post by Critical_mass Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

The problem is, "racing incident" no longer exists, especially when Hamilton is concerned.

Also there's no consistancy, hamilton imo is a prime victim of that. Another driver cuts a corner they get a warning, Hamilton does it and he's penalised for it. Schumachers appaulling race in turkey hitted every car left right and centre, he wasnt punished (not that i can remember), Lewis clashes with a couple of cars in monaco and is punished for each one.

Last year Massa cut the chicane at monaco and was repeatedly told by smedley that the stewards dont want you to cut the chicane, if this was lewis he would have been penalised no later then the 2nd cut of the chicane.

Its beyond a joke and i can see why Lewis would be frustrated for it. Di resta was the same.

Can scrap monaco as far as im concerned, if you arent allowed to try and pass cars on a circuit where its difficult, without them accept contact may happen then why bother.

2008 is a good year to prove the above points particularly Spa.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down